Subject: [Begin_Cn_Model_Family]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 06:14:09 -0600

As stated...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. [Begin_Cn_Model_Family]  
   Should there be a family_name?

   I do not see any reason why we need to limit this to one family per
   file.  While in practice this might be the case for Connector
   suppliers, this might not be convenient for designers who want
   to store or export models of all connectors in a design into
   a single file.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From a file usage / size point of view...
*  It is very possible that a Cascaded model as outlined in the specification
will result in a model file that is very large.  Some of the simple examples for
a single family that I created already exceed 20kB.  I believe that this could
develop into serious issues with regards to file parsing and maintenance.

From a model suppliers point of view......
* I need a way to tie part revision and model revision levels.  
* I need to be able to update models... and make sure that the customer also is
using the most up to date version.  If the models get stacked into a single
"library"...  then the designer will need to adjust that library when a new
model is released.  Won't this cause more work for the designer?  Maybe lead to
copy/paste errors?
*  It is convenient to name connector sections with the same name....  so
whether you have an edgecard connector or a pin/socket connector... it is handy
to be able to use SMT, through_hole, press_fit sections for both.

As such, I think that one Connector family per model is required.

_gus
[email-masked]