Subject: Re: Junk mail?

From: "D. C. Sessions" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 12:07:39 -0700

On Thursday 21 June 2001 10:48, Chris Rokusek wrote:

> I've just recently received a few spam messages at my work address which to
> my knowledge is only known by the IBIS and SI-LIST reflectors.  I am
> concerned over the list's security.  Can 3rd parties harvest our email
> addresses or post messages to the list without being members?

Since the list archives are on the WWW, webcrawler bots will
pick up the messages there.  Unless we want to lock down access
to the archives (NOT a good idea, IMHO) we have the choice
between editing them (also NAGI, IMHO) or living with the problem.

Then again, I don't munge.  I LART.

(Sorry to be so slow replying; got back from Tokyo to find a
major hardware failure.)

-- 
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <[email-masked]> ----------+

---

From: "Chris Rokusek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:08:55 -0700

D.C.,

You bring up an interesting point.  If the names are being stolen from the
web archives then why don't we munge all email addresses during the append
to web page?  If the list archives are being generated on a UNIX system,
then we're talking about a one-line "sed" command here to replace addresses
of the glob form "*@*." with "*@NoSpam.*"

Would this work?

Does anyone object?

Is it feasible to implement?  If yes, I can provide a robust, tested sed
command.

Chris

> -----Original Message-----
> From: D. C. Sessions [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2001 12:08 PM
> To: Ibis@Eda. Org
> Subject: Re: Junk mail?
>
>