Subject: IBIS minutes

From: Guy de Burgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:44:05 -0700

DATE: 5/15/01

SUBJECT: 5/11/01 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

VOTING MEMBERS AND 2001 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
3Com (& CommWorks)             Roy Leventhal*
Agilent                        (Mark Chang)
Ansoft Corporation             (Eric Bracken)
Apple Computer                 John Figueroa
Applied Simulation Technology  Raj Raghuram, Norio Matsui, Fred Balistreri
Avanti                         (Chen Hongyu)
Brocade Communications         Robert Badal
Cadence Design                 [Ian Dodd], Patrick Dos Santos, Heiko Dudek
                               Lynne Green*, Lance Wang*
Cisco Systems                  Syed Huq, Lungfu Chen
Compaq                         Peter LaFlamme, Ron Bellomio, Quang Dam,
                               Bill Ham
Cypress                        (Rajesh Manapat)
EMC Corporation                Brian Arsenault, Jinhua Chen
Fairchild Semiconductor        Adam Tambone*
IBM                            Michael Cohen, Greg Edlund*, Wes Martin,
                               Yeon-Chang Hahm, Bill DeVey, Pravin Patel
Innoveda (& HyperLynx)         Guy de Burgh*, John Angulo*, Cary Mandel, 
                               Matthew Flora
Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Dave Lorang,
                               Michael Mirmak*, Qinglun Chen, Will Hobbs
LSI Logic                      Larry Barnes*
Mentor Graphics                Bob Ross, Tom Dagostino, Chris Reid,
                               Mike Donnelly, Hazem Hegazy, Tony Dunbar,
                               Griff Derryberry, Dan Lake, Sherif Hammad,
                               Mohammed Korany, Weston Beal, Chris Swaim,
                               Ali Samii, Eric Ronger, Karine Loudet
Micron Technology              Randy Wolff*, Yong Phan*
Mitsubishi                     (Tam (Tom) Cao)
Molex Incorporated             Gus Panella, Brian O'Malley
Motorola                       (Ron Werner)
National Semiconductor         Milt Schwartz*
Nortel Networks                Calvin Trowell
North East Systems Associates  Edward Sayre
Philips Semiconductor          Zack Ciccone, Rob Mataheroe
Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
Robinson-Nugent, Inc.          (Alexander Barr)
Siemens (& Automotive) AG      Bernhard Unger, Helmut Katzier, Katja Koller,
                               Wolfram Meyer, Eckhard Lenski, Gerald Bannert,
                               Burkhard Muller, Christian Marot,
                               Manfred Maurer, Amir Motamedi,
                               Hans Pichlmaier
Signal Integrity Software      Douglas Burns, Barry Katz, Walter Katz
SiQual                         Scott McMorrow, Rob Hinz, Bernard Voss,
                               Chris Brewster
Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher, Stephen Nolan, Ramzi Ammar,
                               Jean Claude Perrin
Time Domain Analysis Systems   Dima Smolyansky, Steve Corey
Tyco Electronics               (Russell Moser)
Via Technologies               (Weber Chuang)
Zuken (& Incases)              John Berrie

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 2001:
Actel Corporation              Silvia Montoya
Acuson                         Kim Helliwell
AMCC                           Jeff Smith
ASIS Ltd                       David Wright
BMW                            Friedrich Hasinger
Cereva Networks                Bob Haller
EADS Airbus Industry           Claude Huet
  (Aerospatiale)
EFM                            Ekkehard Miersch, Horle Raines
EIA                            Cecilia Fleming*
FCI                            Sercu Stefaan
Foundary Networks              Bertram Chan
Framatom Conectors             Danny Morlion
Fraunhofer Institute           Mariusz Faferko, Peter Kralicek
  Reliability and
  Integration
Fujitsu Ltd                    Tadashi Arai, Takeshi Murakami
Heidelberger Druchmaschinen AG Wolfgang Kleinfeldt
Huawei Technologies            Rachild Chen
Hyundai Electronics            Jongho Kang
Infineon Technologies          Christian Sporrer
Intrinsix Corporation          Steven Chin
National Institute of Applied  Etienne Sicard
  Science (INSA)
Nokia                          Tapani von Ravner, Mika Castren,
                               Janne Uusitalo
Oak Technology                 Darmin Jin
Plexus Technology Group        Joseph Socha
Sintecs                        Hans Klos
STMicroelectronics             Peter Hirt, Fabrice Boissieres
Sun                            Adrian Udenze
Xilinx                         Susan Wu
Independent, Consultant        Al Davis

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
follows:

  Date                Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode
  June 1              (916) 356-2663   2                6352088
  Thursday June 21, 2001 IBIS Summit Meeting, No Phone Bridge

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out
7 days before each Open Forum, and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.
When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will
Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------
INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
Lance Wang of Cadence joined the meeting for the first time.  Lance is a
software developer, and is attending in order to learn more about IBIS models.

Stephen Peters stated that the budget has been set for this year. The details
are in the minutes from the last meeting.  Cecilia Fleming stated that we have
27 out of 34 paid members, and that she and Bob will go after the remaining 7.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
The April 20, 2001 IBIS Minutes were approved without change.

The ARs will be discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
Larry Barnes mentioned that the Fiber Channel group under Insights is also
going to be coming up with a modeling document.

Lynne Green wanted to know who to contact. Larry said that when he's done
with his report he will talk to Stephen Peters about contact information.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Stephen Peters reported that Syed Huq updated the Roster link on the IBIS
Home page with some changes and also made some other minor corrections in
the Upcoming Events link.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
Roy Leventhal announced that the IBIS Models page has been updated on May 3,
2001. He also mentioned that he has been receiving requests for models.
Stephen Peters stated that the purpose of the models page is to provide a
link to known IBIS models, not a place where models can be requested.

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
None

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-1 (IBIS Version 3.2) - Cecilia reported that the document is
  being published now. This is available on the http://www.iec.ch web site.
  Search by committee for TC93 and you can see the program's work.

- pr EIAJ ED-5302 Standard for I/O Interface Model for Integrated Circuits
  (IMIC) - No report.

- IEC 62014-3 (ICEM) Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Model Proposal
  (formerly, IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation) - Stephen Peters reported
  that he, Bob Ross, Jean Claude Perrin and Etienne Sicard have been in
  contact. There is a draft document out. Etienne Sicard is hoping to present
  this at the DAC IBIS Summit meeting. After DAC the group will get together
  to with the EMC group to draft a standard that is more consistent with the
  IBIS format.

  Stephen stated that there is a subdirectory for EMC data on:

    http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/emc/

- JEDEC JC-16 - Modeling and Testing - No report.

- T10, Project 1414-DT - SCSI Signal Modeling (a Technical Committee of the
  National Committee for Information Technology (NCITS)) - Larry Barnes
  reported that the model specification for the SCSI model is planned for
  completion around the DAC timeframe. It will then be passed to the T10
  committee for letter ballot. Larry anticipates that the ballot will be going
  out in August.

  A proposal for a follow on project to turn the technical report into a 
  standard was forwarded to the T10 meeting last week. It was approved
  unanimously. Larry reported that the IBIS connector specification will
  be used in that standard.

  Larry also reported on T11. T11 is responsible for Fiber Channel. A group
  has been formed and meetings have started. The plan is to take the T10
  document and modify it for use in Fiber Channel.  The intention is to
  release it by Jan 02, 2002.

  Details of T10 and can be found on the www.t10.org web site. Go to Draft
  standards and technical reports. Larry is the technical editor for the T10
  document and is likely to be the same for T11.

  Chris Reid published to the IBIS reflector a paper on reduced strength
  drivers and driver schedule. The intent was to issue a BIRD to clarify 
  some language. Larry and Bob Ross need to clarify the implementation to
  remove an invalid condition.

DESIGN AUTOMATION CONFERENCE 2001 IBIS SUMMIT MEETING PLANS
Stephen Peters gave the general plans for the next IBIS Summit Meeting.  The
annual meeting is conducted along with the Design Automation Conference (DAC),
held this year in Las Vegas, Nevada.  The IBIS Summit Meeting will be in the
Hilton Hotel adjacent to the Las Vegas Convention Center.  The meeting date
is Thursday, June 21, 2001, the day following the trade show portion of DAC.
This meeting is sponsored by the IBIS Open Forum through the dues.  Guy de
Burgh will coordinate the signups, presentations and other local logistics.
EIA and Cecilia Fleming will help with the meeting site and luncheon
logistics.

Guy de Burgh sent out the first notice and will send out a second notice today
on May 11, 2001.

Tentative Program under Development:
  Administrative Issues
    - Election of IBIS Officers for 2001 - 2002
  Connector Specification Discussion
  IBIS-X Discussion
  IBIS Version 4.0 Issues
  Enhanced Buffer Extraction - Hazem Hegazy, Mentor Graphics
  Driver Schedule Modeling - Chris Reid, Mentor Graphics
  Behavioral Frequency Domain Modeling - Arpad Muranyi, Intel Corp.

Larry Barnes may give a short presentation on T10 and Fiber Channel.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE DISCUSSION
No report.

CONNECTOR PROPOSAL REVIEW
Stephen Peters reported that the last meeting held May 1, 2001.  The next
meeting is scheduled on May 15, 2001. The main focus has been to get the
wording and key words consistent with IBIS-X. The latest specification is on
the IBIS web site.

A question came up about BGA package pin coupling. Stephen replied that the
Connector Specification doesn't lend itself to this as it assumes a regular
geometry which BGA doesn't have. This will probably be addressed in IBIS-X.

The plan is to present a cleaned up specification at the DAC summit meeting.
Roy Leventhal asked if, after the Connector Specification was finalized,
whether this would then be a good point to readdress the package modeling
issue.  Stephen responded that he thought that it would be a reasonable point,
but it would come after the IBIS-X macro language was documented.

IBIS FUTURES (IBIS-X, API, BIRDxx)
Meeting held May 1, 2001.  The next meeting is scheduled on May 15, 2001
New version has been published. It should be on the web page next week. This
is a draft version. The major changes are corrections and the addition of the
tree diagram. Stephen Peters welcomes anyone who would like to contribute to
the discussion and the specification.  The next item is to make the Macro
language presentable. Some revisions have been done for clarity.

BIRD70.3 - GOLDEN WAVEFORMS
Greg Edlund reported on changes leading to BIRD70.3 which was released a week
ago.  The major change between BIRD70.2 and BIRD70.3 was to remove timing
parameters that were considered extra complexity.

The only remaining question is regarding 2 sub parameters that are IBIS-X
related. Bob Ross has some concerns covering all possible combinations of
drivers and receivers. Stephen mentioned that this is likely to be ready for a
vote at the meeting after next.

BIRD71 - TIMING TEST LOADS IN [Model Spec] TO SUPPORT PCI & PCI-X
Stephen Peters outlined the goal of this bird, and the differences between
this and BIRD 70.3.

Arpad Muranyi wondered if this BIRD should cover more, and different, types
of test loads other than PCI and PCI-X.  Stephen's opinion on this was to
just expand the [Model Spec] parameters to their logical conclusion, but not
attempt to change the IBIS specification. Stephen will discuss with Bob Ross
whether a more general BIRD is required, but was concerned about whether there
would be enough time to get it into IBIS Version 4.0.

IBISCHK3 BUG TRACKING (Other Pending BIRDs were moved to the end)

- BUG56 Parser Fails to Detect Always Flowing Current
  Revision - specified fix.
  Resolution - to fix.

Matt Flora discussed the bug with Bob Ross. Bob proposed extending this
to include all I-V tables not just the Clamp tables. The tables should
approach 0, but do not have to cross 0. Bob proposed that a Warning should
be issued if the current in an I-V table did not cross zero or did not
approach zero to within some reasonably low (noise) value.

The Proposal is to issue a warning, not an error, and extend the test to check
the [Pullup] and [Pulldown] as well as the [Gnd Clamp] and [Power Clamp]
tables. Some explanation and description of the warning will be added.

OTHER PENDING BIRDS (moved to the end)
None.

MISC.
Roy Leventhal asked for the location of the EMC documents. They can be found
under:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/emc/

NEXT MEETING:
The next teleconference meeting will be on Friday, June 1, 2001, from
8:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
==============================================================================
                                      NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 685-0732, Fax (503) 685-4897
            [email-masked]
            Modeling Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070

VICE CHAIR: Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
            [email-masked]
            Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S JF1-209
            2111 NE 25th Ave.
            Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961

SECRETARY:  Guy de Burgh (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
            [email-masked]
            Senior Manager, Innoveda
            1369 Del Norte Rd.
            Camarillo, CA 93010-8437

LIBRARIAN:  Roy Leventhal (837) 797-2152, Fax: (847) 222-2799
            [email-masked]
            Senior Engineer, CommWorks Corp. (a wholly owned 3Com subsidiary)
            1800 W. Central Rd.
            Mt. Prospect, IL 60056-2293

WEBMASTER:  Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            [email-masked]
            Manager, Hardware Engineering, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: John Angulo (425) 869-2320, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            [email-masked]
            Development Engineer, Innoveda
            14715 N.E. 95th Street, Suite 200
            Redmond, WA 98052

This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  [email-masked]
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
      or both.  State your request.

  [email-masked]
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To report ibischk2/3 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt,
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, & /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt
      respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
Electronic Information Group under:

  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis.htm

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous
discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
==============================================================================