Subject: EIA IBIS open Forum Minutes

From: Guy de Burgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 12:59:04 -0700

DATE: 4/2/01

SUBJECT: 3/30/01 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

VOTING MEMBERS AND 2001 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
3Com (& CommWorks)             Roy Leventhal*
Agilent                        (Mark Chang)
Ansoft Corporation             (Eric Bracken)
Apple Computer                 John Figueroa
Applied Simulation Technology  Raj Raghuram, Norio Matsui, Fred Balistreri
Avanti                         (Chen Hongyu)
Brocade Communications         Robert Badal
Cadence Design                 Ian Dodd, Patrick Dos Santos, Heiko Dudek
Cisco Systems                  Syed Huq, Lungfu Chen
Compaq                         Peter LaFlamme, Ron Bellomio, Quang Dam,
                               Bill Ham*
Cypress                        (Rajesh Manapat)
EMC Corporation                Brian Arsenault, Jinhua Chen
Fairchild Semiconductor        Adam Tambone
IBM                            Michael Cohen, Greg Edlund, Wes Martin,
                               Yeon-Chang Hahm, Bill DeVey, Pravin Patel*
Innoveda (& HyperLynx)         Guy de Burgh, John Angulo, Cary Mandel
Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Dave Lorang,
                               Michael Mirmak, Qinglun Chen, Will Hobbs
LSI Logic                      Larry Barnes*
Mentor Graphics                Bob Ross*, Tom Dagostino, Chris Reid,
                               Mike Donnelly, Hazem Hegazy, Tony Dunbar,
                               Griff Derryberry, Dan Lake, Sherif Hammad,
                               Mohammed Korany, Weston Beal, Chris Swaim,
                               Ali Samii, Eric Ronger, Karine Loudet
Micron Technology              Randy Wolff, Yong Phan
Mitsubishi                     (Tam (Tom) Cao)
Molex Incorporated             Gus Panella, Brian O'Malley
Motorola                       (Ron Werner)
National Semiconductor         Milt Schwartz*
Nortel Networks                Calvin Trowell
North East Systems Associates  Edward Sayre
Philips Semiconductor          Zack Ciccone, Rob Mataheroe
Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
Robinson-Nugent, Inc.          (Alexander Barr)
Siemens (& Automotive) AG      Bernhard Unger, Helmut Katzier, Katja Koller,
                               Wolfram Meyer, Eckhard Lenski, Gerald Bannert,
                               Burkhard Muller, Christian Marot,
                               Manfred Maurer, Amir Motamedi,
                               Hans Pichlmaier
Signal Integrity Software      Douglas Burns, Barry Katz, Walter Katz
SiQual                         Scott McMorrow, Rob Hinz, Bernard Voss,
                               Chris Brewster
Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher, Stephen Nolan, Ramzi Ammar,
                               Jean Claude Perrin*
Time Domain Analysis Systems   Dima Smolyansky, Steve Corey
Tyco Electronics               (Russell Moser)
Via Technologies               (Weber Chuang)
Zuken (& Incases)              John Berrie

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 2001:
Actel Corporation              Silvia Montoya
Acuson                         Kim Helliwell
AMCC                           Jeff Smith
ASIS Ltd                       David Wright
BMW                            Friedrich Hasinger
Cereva Networks                Bob Haller
EADS Airbus Industry           Claude Huet
  (Aerospatiale)
EFM                            Ekkehard Miersch, Horle Raines
EIA                            Cecilia Fleming*
FCI                            Sercu Stefaan
Foundary Networks              Bertram Chan
Framatom Conectors             Danny Morlion
Fraunhofer Institute           Mariusz Faferko, Peter Kralicek
  Reliability and
  Integration
Fujitsu Ltd                    Tadashi Arai, Takeshi Murakami
Heidelberger Druchmaschinen AG Wolfgang Kleinfeldt
Huawei Technologies            Rachild Chen
Hyundai Electronics            Jongho Kang
Infineon Technologies          Christian Sporrer
Intrinsix Corporation          Steven Chin
National Institute of Applied  Etienne Sicard
  Science (INSA)
Nokia                          Tapani von Ravner, Mika Castren,
                               Janne Uusitalo
Oak Technology                 Darmin Jin
Plexus Technology Group        Joseph Socha
Sintecs                        Hans Klos
STMicroelectronics             Peter Hirt, Fabrice Boissieres
Sun                            Adrian Udenze
Xilinx                         Susan Wu
Independent, Consultant        Al Davis*

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
follows:

  Date                Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode
  April 20, 2001      (916) 356-9200   2-524674         3881934

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out
7 days before each Open Forum, and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.
When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will
Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------
INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
Bill Ham is an interconnect architect at Compaq.  He has a long term interest
in modeling and has been involved with the t10 committee on SCSI issues and
on the t11 committee on fiber channel issues.  Bill is interested in common
methodologies and in launch signals that vary with the data pattern.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
Bob Ross is expecting the final year 2000 financial report per a conversation
with Cecilia Fleming.  Also, Bob estimates that we have about 25 paid members
this year.  Cecilia plans to mail reminder invoices, and Bob will work with
her regarding some new addresses.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
The March 2, 2001 IBIS Minutes were approved without change.

The March 16, 2001 European IBIS Summit Meeting Minutes were approved with the
following corrections reported by Bob Ross:

The presentation title by Etienne Sicard was corrected to:

  EMC MODEL FOR PREDICTION OF PARASITIC EMISSION

and the co-author is corrected to Claude Huet for the presentation by Jean
Claude Perrin:

  INTEGRATED CIRCUITS MODELING, ICEM, INTEGRATED CIRCUITS ELECTROMAGNETIC
  MODEL, PROPOSAL: IEC62014-3

The corrected version of the minutes will be uploaded.

The ARs will be discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
None.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Bob Ross reported that IBIS and the IBIS Accuracy Report was mentioned in the
March 2001 issue of Printed Circuit Design, "Ensuring Signal Integrity in
Microprocessor Motherboards and Memory" by Dima Smolyansky, pp. 18 - 24.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
Roy Leventhal reported that he updated the links of the IBIS Models page and
plans to do some more corrections.  Bob Ross stated that anyone who finds any
problems should notify Roy.

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
Bob Ross - BUG55 - Control-Z Can be Used as End-of-File

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-1 (IBIS Version 3.2) - Bob Ross reported that we are waiting for
vote on the FDIS (Final Draft International Standard).  It is expected to
close on April 13, 2001.  If the vote is successful, then IBIS Version 3.2 can
be published as an official international standard.

- pr EIAJ ED-5302 Standard for I/O Interface Model for Integrated Circuits
(IMIC) - No report.

- IEC 62014-3 (ICEM) Integrated Circuit Electromagnetic Model Proposal
  (formerly, IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation) -  Jean Claude Perrin
  reported that IEC 62014-3, a technical report is expected to take two to
  three months for balloting.  In the mean time, the Committee is working on
  a Cookbook to provide measurement methods to get the necessary parameters if
  they are not provided by semiconductor manufacturers.  Jean Claude will send
  information by e-mail to Bob Ross.  Bob asked Jean Claude if it was OK to
  download the document under consideration by IEC and put it on the IBIS FTP
  site for review.  Jean Claude thought this would be all right.  Jean Claude
  also stated that he seeks more participation in the Committee.

- JEDEC JC-16 - Modeling and Testing - No report.

- T10, Project 1414-DT - SCSI Signal Modeling (a Technical Committee of the
  National Committee for Information Technology (NCITS)) - Larry Barnes
  reported that the next meeting will be held April 2-4, 2001 in Massachusetts,
  and the following meeting will be in June or July in Connecticut.  The SCSI
  Signal Modeling (SSM) Technical Report should be closed at that time.  A
  new version of the document will be uploaded by Monday, April 1, 2001 and
  can be found under:

  http://www.t10.org/ssm.htm

or directly at:

  ftp://ftp.t10.org/drafts/ssm/ssm-r03.pdf

It contains references to the IBIS Cookbook and credits Stephen Peters for his
work.  Bob Ross indicated that he has made some editorial comments.

Bill Ham initiated a technical discussion, which we conducted at this time
since Larry had to leave early.  Bill outlined the technical challenge that
the launch signal strengths depend on the data pattern.  Currently there are
two levels (strong and weak), but more levels could be generated.

Larry commented that the SCSI technology calls for differential current source
drivers.  Each side might be considered to have two drivers for full strength,
but the second driver switches from a source to a sink if a second successive
bit occurs.  A fallback mechanism would describe this effect.  The driver
switches direction rather than just turns off (as Bob had suggested in private
e-mail to Larry).  The [Driver Schedule] keyword could describe this, but the
SCSI Committee needs this description for typ, min and max conditions.

Al Davis suggested working with the IBIS Futures committee so that a proper
model type could be described.  Larry will do this.  Stephen Peters will
provide Larry with the meeting information.  Bob indicated that we should
still investigate this through the BIRD process and target it for an IBIS
Version 4.0 release.  The actual implementation might still be through the
macro language and a Version 4.0 template.

DATE 2001 EUROPEAN IBIS SUMMIT MEETING FEEDBACK
Bob Ross asked for comments.  Bob stated that we had a lot of presentations,
but we managed to get the key information presented and still have some
questions and discussions after each one.

Bob thanked Syed Huq for uploading Acrobat .pdf versions of the Power Point
presentations.

Arpad Muranyi commented that the presentations were high quality.  Some
interesting new ways to use the IBIS data files were given.  Arpad felt that
some advances need to be considered for IBIS-X implementation.

DESIGN AUTOMATION CONFERENCE 2001 IBIS SUMMIT MEETING PLANS
Bob Ross outlined the general plans for the next IBIS Summit Meeting.  The
annual meeting is held along with the Design Automation Conference (DAC).
This year it is in Las Vegas, Nevada.  The IBIS Summit Meeting will be held
in the Hilton Hotel adjacent to the Las Vegas Convention Center.  It is
scheduled for Thursday, June 21, 2001, the day after the trade show portion of
DAC.  This meeting is sponsored by the IBIS Open Forum through the dues, and
Bob will ask Guy de Burgh to coordinate the local arrangements.

Bob stated that we hold election of IBIS officers.  Elections are open to
anyone, and nominations will be accepted at the meeting.  However, Bob would
also like to find out who is interested in serving so we can announce the
candidates several meetings before the DAC IBIS Summit Meeting.

In addition, we will plan to have presentations and discussions.  We will
probably have sessions on:

  Connector Specification
  IBIS-X
  IBIS Version 4.0 Issues
  Possibly other topics such as enhanced buffer extraction

Roy Leventhal stated that he will probably give a presention at the IBIS
Summit Meeting in September in Massachusetts.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE DISCUSSION
Bob Ross reported that IBIS models from AMD and UTMC have been sent out by
John Angulo for review.

CONNECTOR PROPOSAL REVIEW
Bob Ross stated that he had planned to start the Connector Specification
review at this meeting, but did not have time to prepare for it.  He plans to
have another Connector Working Group Meeting on April 3, 2001 to consider more
cleanup of the document.  The first review will now be planned for the next
meeting and expected to focus on the Header section.  It should be aligned
with the IBIS-X document header.

Al Davis has started to prototype the Specification, but has uncovered some
technical issues.  He will bring them up to the Connector Working Group.  Bob
asked for some details off line.  Al may discuss this at the Connector
Working Group meeting.

IBIS FUTURES (IBIS-X, API, BIRDxx)
Stephen Peters summarized the discussions of the March 20, 2001 Working Group
meeting.  The Working Group is ready to release to the Open Forum the top
level specification.  A component section similar to that in IBIS Verison 3.2
has been added, but with some editorial changes to fit better with the IBIS-X
structure.

Stephen reported that the formal documentation of the macro-language still
needs to be done.  Also, the library guide needs to be written.

The IBIS Futures Working Group wants to work with the Connector Working Group
to insure the documents are compatible.  The next IBIS Futures Working Group
meeting is scheduled for April 3, 2001 and every two weeks thereafter.

BIRD69.1 - GOLDEN WAVEFORMS
Bob Ross suggested withdrawing BIRD69.1 since BIRD70 was issued to cover the
same functions.  The BIRD69.1 author, Greg Edlund, favors moving forward with
BIRD70.  Bob called for a vote on BIRD69.1

BIRD69.1 was rejected by Unanimous Vote

BIRD70 - GOLDEN WAVEFORMS
Al Davis introduced BIRD70 since Greg Edlund could not attend this meeting.
BIRD70 contains some syntactical revisions to make it fit better with the
IBIS-X macro language.  It separates the testing portion of an IBIS model
from the existing model portion used for electrical characterization.  BIRD70
(and a future BIRD70.1) propose that the golden waveform information be located
under a [Test Data] and [Test Load] keyword, not under the [Model] keyword as
was proposed in BIRD69.1.

(In BIRD70, the waveforms are still under the [Rising Waveform] and [Falling
Wave] keywords.)  Al and Bob Ross commented on a few points and also stated
that some BIRD70.1 changes were already planned.  Bob wanted the detailed
discussions to be conducted after BIRD70.1 is issued.

Al commented that he did not like listing default [Test Load] values.  Bob
agreed.  If the sub-parameter is missing, the defaults should be automatically
set to open for shunt elements, and short for series elements.  Transmission
lines without the Td subparameter value would be assumed to be shorted.  The
default voltage might be an issue, but BIRD70.1 should provide a solution.

Bob stated that Greg Edlund plans to issue BIRD70.1.  Some editorial changes
might be given to Greg beforehand.  BIRD70.1 will add a subparameter to name
the Driver model.  It will describe the equivalent package model directly, if
used L, C, and R subparameters.

AR - Greg Edlund issue BIRD70.1 with planned revisions and other submitted
changes.

OTHER PENDING BIRDS
Bob Ross commented that the Fallback Submodel BIRD had been discussed earlier
as part of the SCSI t10 report.  There is still needed for this BIRD to
describe the dynamic output control functionality.

Two other BIRDs include one proposal for PCI thresholds, and one for
simultaneous Switched Outputs (SSO).

IBISCHK3 BUG TRACKING
Bob Ross stated that Matthew Flora provided fixes to BUG53 and BUG34.  The
fixes have been included in a new ibischk3 Version 3.2.7.  No other fixes were
done so that the new executable could be released soon.  Prior to the new
Version, ibischk3 incorrectly issued Warnings for correct *Open* IBIS models.

Matthew generated new source code and distributed it to the companies that
had purchased source code licenses.  Matthew also generated the Windows
executable.  Guy de Burgh generated executables for Unix systems.  Bob stated
that the new executables are uploaded:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/ibischk3/

The older Verison 3.2.5 and Version 3.2.6 executables are archived under this
directory.  Bob expects Syed Huq to generate and upload the new executables
for Linux.

- BUG54 - Corners with NA give Bad Test Load Warnings
  Because Michael Mirmak could not attend this meeting, and because Bob needed
  to consider how to implement BUG54, Bob decided to postpone the discussion
  on how to resolve BUG54 until the next meeting.  Bob commented that BIRD54
  had been modified in response to comments from the March 2, 2001 IBIS
  meeting.

- BUG55 - Control-Z Can be Used as End-of-File (new agenda item)
  Bob Ross introduced BUG55, authored by Matthew Flora.  BUG55 describes a
  situation that in older DOS and Windows based file, a control-Z can serve
  as an End-of-File character.  Sometimes these characters are incorrectly
  inserted within a file.  If they exist, further ibischk3 processing of the
  file is terminated.  The resolution is to set a flag to read Windows files in
  binary mode.  Then incorrect characters such as control-Z can be detected in
  in a file in the same manner that they are now detected in Unix operating
  systems.

  Al Davis had some questions.  Bob suggested reviewing BUG55 which is now
  uploaded under

    http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/

  to get a more precise description of the technical details.

  Bob classified BUG55 as Annoying, Low, Open.  The plan is to fix it, unless
  some technical concerns are uncovered.

NEXT MEETING:
The next teleconference meeting will be on Friday, April 20, 2001, from
8:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
==============================================================================
                                      NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 685-0732, Fax (503) 685-4897
            [email-masked]
            Modeling Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070

VICE CHAIR: Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
            [email-masked]
            Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S JF1-209
            2111 NE 25th Ave.
            Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961

SECRETARY:  Guy de Burgh (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
            [email-masked]
            Senior Manager, Innoveda
            1369 Del Norte Rd.
            Camarillo, CA 93010-8437

LIBRARIAN:  Roy Leventhal (837) 797-2152, Fax: (847) 222-2799
            [email-masked]
            Senior Engineer, CommWorks Corp. (a wholly owned 3Com subsidiary)
            1800 W. Central Rd.
            Mt. Prospect, IL 60056-2293

WEBMASTER:  Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            [email-masked]
            Manager, Hardware Engineering, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: John Angulo (425) 869-2320, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            [email-masked]
            Development Engineer, Innoveda
            14715 N.E. 95th Street, Suite 200
            Redmond, WA 98052

This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  [email-masked]
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
      or both.  State your request.

  [email-masked]
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To report ibischk2/3 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt,
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, & /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt
      respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
Electronic Information Group under:

  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/ibis.htm

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous
discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
==============================================================================