Subject: 80 Columns

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 93 23:40:25 -0500

Y'all,

Being mostly human, I am 100% totally for human readable files.

Is it time to contemplate an "extension" character (a la the famed "+"
in Spice) that can be used to break long lines up across several
"physical" lines of the input file without violating the sacred and
venerable limit of 80 characters?

Say we had:

A very long line of input such as this very very very long one and I'm talking really REALLY long.

This would become:

A very long line of input such as this very very very long one and I'm 
+ talking really REALLY long.

I think we need something like this, otherwise the 80 char limit becomes 
crippling to our expressiveness.

--Eric Bracken <[email-masked]>

P.S.  I suggest that we also put a filter on the reflector, to squelch any
messages that have lines exceeding 80 characters in width.  This will prevent
the pain and suffering I experience when I need to resize my X window.