Subject: IBIS 10/28/94 Meeting Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 94 09:44:34 PST

Text item: Text_1

Date:    Nov. 7, 1994

From:    Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         [email-masked]
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         [email-masked]
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 10/28/94

To:
AT&T Global Info Systems      Dave Moxley*
Anacad                        Steffen Rochel
Ansoft                        Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation             Dan Terry
Cadence Design                Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
Cadlab                        Ralf Bruning
Contec                        Maah Sango
Digital Equipment Corp.       Barry Katz
EIA                           Patty Rusher
High Design Technology        Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
HyperLynx                     Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM                           Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
IBM-Motorola alliance         Lynn Warriner, Hoa Quoc, John Burnett
Integrated Silicon Systems    Eric Bracken
Integrity Engineering         Greg Doyle
Intel Corporation             Stephen Peters*, Don Telian, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi*, Derrick Duehren*
Interconnectix, Inc.          Bob Ross*, Scott Bloom
Intergraph                    Ian Dodd, David Wiens
IntuSoft                      Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics               Ravender Goyal
Meta-Software                 Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney
NEC                           Hiroshi Matsumoto
MicroSim                      Arthur Wong
National Semiconductor        Syed Huq
North Carolina State U.       Steve Lipa, Michael Steer
OptEM Engineering, Inc.       Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
PC Ware                       Paul Munsey*
Quad Design                   Jon Powell*
Quantic Labs                  Mike Ventham
Racal-Redac                   John Berrie
Siemens Nixdorf               Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier
Stanford University           Randy Harr
Symmetry                      Martin Walker
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.   Bill Lattin
Texas Instruments             Bob Ward*
Thomson-CSF/SCTF              Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd.            Stephen Lum*
Zeelan Technology             George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu
Mon Seng(?), Stree Co.

CC:
Intel Corporation             Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences 
are listed below:
     Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #
     11/18/94   (916) 356-9999   406223 
     12/9/94    (916) 356-9999   406224 

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PDT (15:00 to 17:00 UTC).  We try to have 
agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 
days after.  When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum 
hosted by Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check-in, Intros, Announcements

The following correction was made to the Oct. 7th meeting minutes: 
  Scott Bloom was not present.

Will reported on finances.  The current balance about $8,900.  So far, 8 
companies have paid for the 2.0 parser.  HP, HyperLynx, Quad Design, 
Interconnectix, DEC, ATT-GIS, Cadence, and Intel.  Quantic reported having the 
paperwork in process.

New Agenda Items: 
Format of files on vhdl.org.
Case sensitivity. 

Press Updates: The IBIS overview article has been forwarded to EDN mag. 
(DERRICK IS VERIFYING) Electronic Engineering Times, Oct. 24th, pg 59.  IBIS 
is mentioned several times.

Derrick informed the forum that we need an official body to approve press 
releases and the like.  We decided that the Open Forum will act as 
Communication Approval Committee, approving all notices similar to the 
approval process for BIRDs.

Old AR Will/Derrick: Draft a press release with current status. 
[No progress made]

Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors
Will reported that the Intel960(TM) processor family IBIS models are available 
through Intel sales reps, and soon validated IBIS files will be posted to 
vhdl.org.

Syed reported via the reflector that he has a v2.0 Differential Driver model 
available for verification only by Simulation vendors on a request basis only. 
Once he gets feedback, it will be officially released to the IBIS forum.  By 
end Nov., he plans to pass around a v2.0 Differential Receiver model.

Jon reported that he believes that IBM is developing IBIS models.  

Motorola PowerPC IBIS models are available from Motorola under nondisclosure.

David Moxley has talked to Integrated Circuit Systems about IBIS; they have 
since requested [and received] information from Derrick.

Will reported that VITAL has made initial inquiries into possible use of IBIS 
for back-annotation, timing, and buffer strength...

Golden Parser, 2.0
Paul reported that a flow of problems has been reported.  Two issues need to 
be decided:

1. What do we want to do about the memory situation?  It appears to be a DOS 
limitation problem.  Bob Ross found the problem and Paul duplicated it.  They 
are not using EMS.  The latest version of DOS (V6.02) seems to work better.  
The software that makes EMS available requires a runtime license.  GNU 
compiler for DOS does not have this limitation-- Jon Powell recommends using 
that compiler.  Bob Ward also suggests DPMI S/W from Microsoft.  Living up to 
that standard should make the GP compatible with any memory manager.

Arpad suggested putting in a compiler option to choose to not save the memory 
structures.  The default should be to not save the structures.

Kellee offered a win32s version that wouldn't have the problem.

AR Bob Ross: E-mail Paul info on DPMI.

2. Do we want another Beta?  Will wants to see the fixes, and the features 
that hadn't been implemented for the first Beta.

AR Paul: Produce a new disk and give it to Arpad next week.  Will Hobbs will 
distribute the files within 1 day to those who have paid the fee.

Bob Ross tried the GP on many 2.0 models, including ECL, differential, and 
terminators.  When he called it 1.1, he got expected errors.  When he called 
it 2.0, he got a few errors, which he reported.  Syed's RS232 model worked.  
Syed sent out a new one yesterday.  

Paul and Bob discussed rising and falling waveforms; there is nothing in the 
spec that lists a minimum number of points. 

AR Stephen: Post something showing rising and falling waveforms...

AR Bob R.: Publish BIRD21 specifying a minimum of 2 points. [Done]

Stephen ran all of the models on vhdl.org through the parser with no problems 
as is.  Still no problems after re-designating them as 2.0 files.  Kellee did 
similar tests with his set of 50 models.  No new bugs were discovered.

No one has verified that the files are being correctly parsed, and no one has 
verified a .pkg file.  Kumar volunteered.

AR Kumar: Parse some .pkg files.

HyperLynx, Interconnectix, Quad, and Cadence expressed interest in getting 
realistic V2.0 data from Intel, either obfuscated or under nondisclosure.

AR Stephen/Derrick: Provide 2.0 IBIS data to the above under nondisclosure. 
[In process]

Will proposed creating a table of features needed to be tested.  Stephen 
volunteered.

AR Stephen:  Create features/test matrix in ASCII format, post to reflector, 
collect input on what has been tested, repost as needed.  [Table created and 
posted]

Quad ran old models, while waiting on new IBIS models.

Spice-to-IBIS Converter
Bob Ross reported that a DOS version was created and will be posted.

2.0 BNF
Bob Ross commented that the project is ongoing.  Some fundamental 
compatibility issues exist, such as enabling the random sequencing of 
keywords.  This issue may never be addressed.

Case Insensitivity
Bob Ross expressed his concern about case sensitivity in subparameters.  The 
current parser enforces subparameter case.  

AR Rob Ross: Create BIRD22 to make subparameters case insensitive.  

AR Arpad: Tell Paul of this potential change, but don't have him hold up the 
next Beta for this change.

DOS/UNIX File Incompatibility.
DOS and UNIX treat CR/LF differently.  DOS requires ^M, UNIX does not like it. 
 Kellee proposed giving solving this issue to Paul M.  We want the IBIS check 
program to be insensitive as to whether the IBIS file was created on a DOS or 
UNIX system.

AR Arpad: Inform Paul of this DOS/UNIX quirk.

Monotonicity
Kellee posted the pre-approved BIRD20 to the great unknown of cyberspace two 
weeks ago for comments.  No one received it.  Kellee reposted it this morning. 
 Bob Ross was the only one who had seen it before the meeting.  He and others 
had several issues with it; the discussion will continue on the reflector, and 
we will rediscuss and vote on it in the next meeting. 

IBIS General Session (face-to-face)
Will proposed that we have our next face-to-face meeting in early December in 
San Jose.  The forum agreed.
   Agenda suggestions:
   o 2.1 Ratification
   o EIA Affiliation
   o Technology presentations

AR Derrick: Coordinate choice of day in early December for the meeting. [In 
process] 

Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans
Our next meeting is 11/18/94.

==============================================================================
                                      NOTES
If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector 
([email-masked]), send e-mail to [email-masked].

Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic 
archive server, [email-masked].
==============================================================================