Subject: Forwarded: Question

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 10:39:11 PDT

Paul,

I am posting your question to the IBIS committee for input.  For me,
(2) would be nice, but not required.  Preferences??

Bob

Bob,

   The original message is telling you that no more memory can be
allocated, so, yes you are running out of memory.  The IBISCHK2 program
is not size constrianed; it will try to allocate as much memory as it needs
in order to save the contents of the file in memory.

   For the purpose of successfully completing the parsing, maybe we should
just give a warning once all the memory is used, and then forget about trying
to save anything after that.  Unfortunately, the saved contents often serve
for later validation.  So this leaves us with 2 options:

  1) Require the machine to have sufficient memory, or
  2) allow the golden parser to accept a flag that tells it to run in a
      conservative mode (probably free memory as soon as it can and forget
      about anyone trying to use the structure contents later on).

   We're open for suggestions.

Paul Munsey

---- Your message ----
Paul

When I use IBISCHK2 on a large IBIS file containing all of the parts
in a design (750K) I get around approximately line 5960:

PROGRAM BUG - Unabel t Allocate Memory: c:\ibis\v2\src\rngp.c 192

and later, other similar messages and eventually an abnormal termination
with 

c:\ibis\v2\src\mdl.c:727:assertion failed.

Am I running out of memory or is the IBISCHK2 program size constrained?

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.

---

From: "J. Eric Bracken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 15:20:46 -0400

>> PROGRAM BUG - Unabel t Allocate Memory: c:\ibis\v2\src\rngp.c 192

On what kind of machine (and with how much real memory/swap) is this error 
message being produced?  

If it's a PC, could the problem related to certain addressing limitations 
of DOS?

--Eric