Subject: IBIS 10/7/94 Meeting Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 12:49:10 PST

Text item: Text_1

Date:    Oct. 17, 1994

From:    Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         [email-masked]
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         [email-masked]
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 10/7/94

To:
AT&T Global Info Systems      Dave Moxley
Anacad                        Steffen Rochel
Ansoft                        Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation             Dan Terry
Cadence Design                Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
Cadlab                        Ralf Bruning
Contec                        Maah Sango
Digital Equipment Corp.       Barry Katz*
EIA                           Patty Rusher
High Design Technology        Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
HyperLynx                     Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM                           Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
IBM-Motorola alliance         Lynn Warriner, Hoa Quoc, John Burnett
Integrated Silicon Systems    Eric Bracken*
Integrity Engineering         Greg Doyle
Intel Corporation             Stephen Peters*, Don Telian*, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi*, Derrick Duehren*
Interconnectix, Inc.          Bob Ross*, Scott Bloom*
Intergraph                    Ian Dodd*, David Wiens
IntuSoft                      Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics               Ravender Goyal
Meta-Software                 Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney
NEC                           Hiroshi Matsumoto
MicroSim                      Arthur Wong
National Semiconductor        Syed Huq
North Carolina State U.       Steve Lipa, Michael Steer
OptEM Engineering, Inc.       Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
PC Ware                       Paul Munsey*
Quad Design                   Jon Powell*
Quantic Labs                  Mike Ventham*
Racal-Redac                   John Berrie
Siemens Nixdorf               Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier
Stanford University           Randy Harr
Symmetry                      Martin Walker
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.   Bill Lattin
Texas Instruments             Bob Ward
Thomson-CSF/SCTF              Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd.            Stephen Lum
Zeelan Technology             George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu
Mon Seng(?), Stree Co.

CC:
Intel Corporation             Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences 
are listed below:
     Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #
     10/28/94   (916) 356-9999   406222 
     11/18/94   (916) 356-9999   406223 
     12/9/94    (916) 356-9999   406224 

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PDT (15:00 to 17:00 UTC).  We try to have 
agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 
days after.  When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum 
hosted by Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check-in, Intros, Announcements
A new person joined us, Mon Seng(sp?), of Stree Co., Santa Clara, which makes 
graphics accelerators.

There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.
AR Mon, send your email address to Derrick (address above).
AR Derrick: Mail last meeting minutes to Mon.  

So far, 5 companies have paid for the 2.0 parser.  HP, HyperLynx, Quad Design, 
Interconnectix, and Intel.  Four others reported having the paperwork in 
process.

New Agenda Items: Scope, Non-monotonic data

Press Updates: IBIS was mentioned in a paper and seminar that Ravender 
presented at ISHM/ Nordic in Finland this week attended by more than 150 
technical experts from Nordic and other European countries.

The IBIS overview article has been approved by Intel Legal and should be able 
to be forwarded to EDN next week.

Nikkei Press Editor asked Will for an update on Version 2.0.

AR Will/Derrick: Draft a press release with current status.

Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors
Intel960 family IBIS models are now available through Intel's American 
Marketing Organization bulletin board and Intel's sales force.  When they are 
fully validated, Intel will post them to vhdl.org.

Syed posted a sample 2.0 model to vhdl.org.

Golden Parser, 2.0
Paul reported that he has draft 2.0 parser disks ready.  Will will mail them 
out on Monday.  Source and PC-executable files are included.  The readme file 
contains instructions for building the parser.  This Beta release is for a 
6-week review.  V1.0 regression testing has yet to be done.

AR Beta Users: Run as many IBIS 1.1 and 2.0 files as possible.

Jon Powell volunteered to create a Sun version.  Will will send Jon the 
approved distribution list.  Several other formats were volunteered.

AR Paul: Give the parser a unique name, such as IBIS_CK2, and forward the 
files to Will.  [Done]

NOTE: The sooner that Paul receives feedback, the sooner he can revise the 
parser and send it out for further review.

IBIS Librarian
PC version of Spice-to-IBIS "lost" on vhdl.org.  
The group discussed timeliness of responses to vhdl.org requests.  
AR Michael Steer: Please post a note to the reflector indicating the typical 
responsiveness we can expect from the librarian.  

Spice-to-IBIS Converter
Interconnectix has used the converter to make commercial IBIS files.  Bob told 
of problems in the [Pull-up] table section.  The data tended to become 
nonmonotonic at the ends.

2.0 BNF
Bob Ross plans to post an update next week.  Done.

IBIS General Session (face-to-face)
Will proposed that we have our next face-to-face meeting the day after ICCAD, 
Friday November 11th in San Jose.  However, the Beta test won't be done.  We 
agreed that we need at least 10 test models to properly test the parser.  We 
decided to postpone the meeting until January.  We will schedule it at our 
next meeting.

Agenda suggestions:
   o 2.1 Ratification
   o EIA Affiliation
   o Technology presentations

Update: Will proposes scheduling the general session for early December to 
maintain momentum.

Monotonicity
We agreed that our intention is that there can be parts that are 
non-monotonic.  The 2.0 spec has an erroneous line that was never intended.
Kellee volunteer to write BIRD 20 to make the spec more like the original 
passed BIRD 8.2.  We agreed to implement BIRD 20 in the draft parser with the 
expectation that it will be approved at our next meeting.

AR Kellee: Post BIRD 20 and communicate the changes to Paul Munsey.

Scope
We agreed that each file has its own syntactic scope.

Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans
Our next meeting is 10/28/94.

==============================================================================
                                      NOTES
If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector 
([email-masked]), send e-mail to [email-masked].

Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic 
archive server, [email-masked].
==============================================================================