Subject: Monotonocity check

From: Arpad Muranyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 94 10:23:02 PST

Text item: Text_1

Hello everyone,

Paul needs clarification regarding the monotonocity checking algorithm in order 
to be able to do it correctly in the parser.  He discovered that the wording of 
the monotonocity requirements section actually describes curves that are 
monotonic on BOTH axes, while the summary statement on the bottom of that 
section says "non-monotonic in ONE axis".

I believe our intension was to require curves to be monotonic in one axis only, 
so I think we need to revisit these eight poits below.  Here is the section from
the IBIS2.0 spec:

$|               Monotonicity Requirements:
$|               To be monotonic, the V/I table data must meet any one of the
$|               following 8 criteria:
$|                 1- The CURRENT axis either increases or remains constant as
$|                    the voltage axis is increased.
$|                 2- The CURRENT axis either increases or remains constant as
$|                    the voltage axis is decreased.
$|                 3- The CURRENT axis either decreases or remains constant as
$|                    the voltage axis is increased.
$|                 4- The CURRENT axis either decreases or remains constant as
$|                    the voltage axis is decreased.
$|
$|                 5- The VOLTAGE axis either increases or remains constant as
$|                    the current axis is increased.
$|                 6- The VOLTAGE axis either increases or remains constant as
$|                    the current axis is decreased.
$|                 7- The VOLTAGE axis either decreases or remains constant as
$|                    the current axis is increased.
$|                 8- The VOLTAGE axis either decreases or remains constant as
$|                    the current axis is decreased.
$|
$|                Note that the above conditions allow the data to be
$|                non-monotonic in one axis.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation