Subject: IBIS 9/16/94 Meeting Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 94 16:39:17 PST

Text item: Text_1

Date:    Sep. 22, 1994

From:    Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         [email-masked]
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         [email-masked]
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 9/16/94

To:
AT&T Global Info Systems      Dave Moxley
Anacad                        Steffen Rochel
Ansoft                        Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation             Dan Terry
Cadence Design                Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar
Cadlab                        Ralf Bruning
Contec                        Maah Sango
Digital Equipment Corp.       Barry Katz*
EIA                           Patty Rusher
High Design Technology        Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
HyperLynx                     Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM                           Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
IBM-Motorola alliance         Lynn Warriner, Hoa Quoc, John Burnett
Integrated Silicon Systems    Eric Bracken*
Integrity Engineering         Greg Doyle
Intel Corporation             Stephen Peters*, Don Telian*, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi*, Derrick Duehren*,
Interconnectix, Inc.          Bob Ross*, Scott Bloom*
Intergraph                    Ian Dodd, David Wiens
IntuSoft                      Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics               Ravender Goyal
Meta-Software                 Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney
NEC                           Hiroshi Matsumoto
MicroSim                      Arthur Wong
National Semiconductor        Syed Huq*
North Carolina State U.       Steve Lipa, Michael Steer*
OptEM Engineering, Inc.       Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
PC Ware                       Paul Munsey*
Quad Design                   Jon Powell*
Quantic Labs                  Mike Ventham
Racal-Redac                   John Berrie
Siemens Nixdorf               Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier*
Symmetry                      Martin Walker
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.   Randy Harr
Texas Instruments             Bob Ward*
Thomson-CSF/SCTF              Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd.            Stephen Lum*
Zeelan Technology             George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu

CC:
Intel Corporation             Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences 
are listed below:
     Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #
     10/7/94    (916) 356-9999   394217 (THIS IS A NEW NUMBER!)

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PDT (15:00 to 17:00 UTC).  We try to have 
agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 
days after.  When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum 
hosted by Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check-in, Intros, Announcements
There were no new participants.  

There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.
BNF Comment: Bob Ross will post BNF (not Bob Ward)...

Will has received confirmed 2.0 parser payment from HP.  HyperLynx and Quad 
Design said they have sent in their $500 each.

AR Will: Verify above two payments.
AR Derrick: Repost invoice, add beta copies are included in the one-time $500 
fee (a letter of intent is OK for beta copies).

New Agenda Item:  Gate drive in IBIS model macro

Press Updates:  An editor from EDN magazine called Derrick this week to see 
how we were doing on the IBIS article.  Derrick is redoing the examples, then 
it will be sent through Intel MarCom for publishing.  Derrick suggested to the 
editor that they tie the article to the 2.1 announcement this Fall.

Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors:  There was no new public model 
availability announced.  

Kellee relayed a comment from a customer in regards to Intel Pentium(TM) 
processor IBIS models not being available.  Will clarified that Intel has 
Simplified Electrical Models for the parts, as IBIS was not available when the 
PP models were created.  Will is leading a program to convert the SEM format 
data into IBIS format.  

Intel 960 IBIS models are avialable upon customer request to Intel.  Intel 
expects to post them to vhdl.org within the next month, pending final 
validation.

Old AR Will: Track down the DRAM IBIS vendor, see if they will post the 
models.

Golden Parser, 2.0
Paul believes he will have the parser done on time (9/30/94).  Paul will 
distribute both DOS executable and source code by US mail to a mailing list 
provided by Will Hobbs (get your 2.0 license checks/letters of intent in the 
mail! -- address above)

AR Will: Supply distribution mail list to Paul.
AR Bob Ross: Send details of passed BIRD 19, V_fixture sub-keyword to Paul.

Intel (Stephen P.) will have a sample 2.0 model ready by 9/30, possibly 
sooner.  Syed will have some 2.0 models ready in November, possibly sooner.

IBIS Librarian
Michael Steer has submitted a draft librarian protocol to [email-masked].  He 
has been checking the /incoming directory and so far nothing relevant has 
shown up.

Michael sent a longer, more thorough disclaimer statement to Derrick for legal 
review, which is in process.

We decided to have all model postings announced on the reflector before they 
are actually posted.  This will give others a chance to object if an 
unauthorized person tries to post a model.

Spice-to-IBIS Converter
Kellee has had difficulty posting converter files to vhdl.org /incoming.  
Kellee to resolve with Michael Steer and Bill denBeste ([email-masked]).  

Old AR All:  Try out the converter and post comments to the reflector.  If 
nothing else, please send email to Michael.  He can use it when seeking 
additional ARPA funding.

Gate drive in IBIS model macro
Don Telian asked if simulator vendors can simulate gate-source potential 
changes / gate modulation.

AR Simulator Vendors: Can simulator vendors simulate gate modulation?  Respond 
to the reflector.

2.0 BNF
Bob Ross reported that good progress is being made in polishing the BNF spec.

IBIS General Session (face-to-face)
We will have our next face-to-face meeting the day after ICCAD, Friday 
November 11th in San Jose.  Agenda suggestions:
   o 2.1 Ratification
   o EIA Affiliation

We need to start making arrangements.  Any vollunteers?

1995 Design Automation Conference
No one will be writing papers.  Bob Ross suggested ICCAD `95.

Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans
Our next meeting is 10/7/94.

==============================================================================
                                      NOTES
If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector 
([email-masked]), send e-mail to [email-masked].

Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
telnet or dial-in (408-945-4170), or send an email request to the automatic 
archive server, [email-masked].
==============================================================================