Subject: Re: Proposed IBIS librarian protocol

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 19:27:02 PST

Text item: 

My responses start with "**".  I also cleaned up the formatting (replaced tabs 
and indentations with spaces, etc.)
- Derrick 
================================================================================
Please Comment:

Procedure for Submitting IBIS Models for Inclusion in the IBIS Model Library.

                                  DRAFT
                            September 9, 1994

                      Michael Steer <[email-masked]>

Vendors and others are encouraged to submit IBIS models to the IBIS model 
library.  The models are maintained by the IBIS librarian who can be reached via
email at [email-masked].

1.  Before submission models must be readable by the Golden Parser with out 
    errors or warning messages being generated.

2.  A submission should consist of the following:

    a.  A readme file ( named IBIS.RED ) including the following

** Isn't README.TXT more common?

       Name of Person Submitting:   XXXXXXXXXXXX 
       Address:     XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
       Affiliation: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
       E-Mail:      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
       Telephone Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
       Fax Number:       XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
       Suggested Top Directory XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx 

** What is considered the "top" directory?  How about "Sugg. directory structure
location:"

         Structure for models

    b.  A Model Transfer Agreement (sample below) must be signed and mailed to 
        the IBIS librarian see vhdl.org:/pub/IBIS/models/library.faq.
** Mike, I'd put your mailing address in this file, rather than point somewhere 
else.  When this data changes, the first task of the new librarian will be to 
update this file.
** Are faxed copies OK?

        The model check-in procedure will not be finalized until this agreement 
        has been received by the IBIS librarian.  Check with the librarian via 
        email using the address [email-masked] (not yet established).

    c.  All files should be
            gnu tar'ed and uuencoded
        OR  tar'ed and compressed and uuencoded 
        OR  zip'ed and uuencoded
        into a single file before mailing.  Files should be mailed to the IBIS 
        librarian.  Expect an acknowledgement within two days.
** What about FTPing them to vhdl.org?  Then you don't need to worry about mail 
problems.

3.  When models are received:
    a. The following will be added to each IBIS file:

       [Disclaimer] IBIS Open Forum disclaims all warranties.  See disclaim.txt 
       in vhdl.org:/pub/IBIS/models for full disclaimer.

    b. The IBIS models will be checked with the Golden Parser and if they parse 
       successfully they will be accepted.

4.  The IBIS models will be treated as confidential until they are publically 
    released.  When new models are added, an announcement will be made.

5.  The Librarian may change from time-to-time and so the file 
    vhdl.org:/pub/ibis/models/library.faq should be consulted for contact 
    information.  However the librarian can always be contacted via email using 
    [email-masked].
** What does the .faq suffix stand for?

==============================================================================
                                      SAMPLE

                        IBIS Model Transfer Agreement

The under-signed submitter has submitted the following models to the IBIS 
library (list model filenames)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hereafter these will be referred to as the "Work".

The submitter represents that the Work can be made publicly available. 
Furthermore the submitter represents that the Work does not infringe on the 
proprietary rights of others.

** I know Intel will not indemnify the models, so the above line will not work 
for many companies.

The model files will be provided as is except for the addition of the following 
statement to each file:

IBIS Open Forum disclaims all warranties. See disclaim.txt (see sample below) in
vhdl.org:/pub/IBIS/models for full disclaimer.

If the models were written as a work made for hire in the course of employment, 
the Work is owned by the company/employer which must sign this agreement in the 
space provided below.

Submitter's Signature and Date _______________________________

Typed or Printed Name          _______________________________
** and title

Institution or Company         _______________________________

Authorization (if required)    _______________________________

Typed or Printed Name          _______________________________
** and title

Please Check
___________

                        __
Submitter's Own Work   |  |
                       |__|
                        __
Work done for Hire     |  |
                       |__|

==============================================================================
                                    SAMPLE

                                  DISCLAIMER

disclaim.txt

The IBIS Open Forum disclaims all implied warranties, including the implied 
warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
The IBIS Open Forum is not liable for any damages incurred by the use of this 
software and/or documentation, including direct, indirect, special, incidental, 
or consequential damages.  All the files within this directory are provided as 
is. The user assumes all responsibility for using these files.

================================================================================

library.faq

Current Librarian:   Michael Steer
e-mail:              [email-masked]
facsimile:           (+1)-919-515-3027
Address              Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering 
                     Daniels Hall
                     North Carolina State University
                     Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7911 
                     U.S.A.

Responsibilities:    The IBIS librarian maintains the IBIS models stored on 
                     vhdl.org in the directory /pub/ibis/models .

================================================================================

OPEN ISSUES

1. The mail address ibis-librarian.org needs to be established.

2. Mail sent to [email-masked] should be stored on vhdl.org
   and forwarded to [email-masked].

3. The disclaimers have not been ratified by a lawyer.
** They have been submitted to the Intel legal team for review and comment.

4. New models will be announced to the [email-masked] mail list.

5. No differentiation will be made between IBIS versions.
** What does this mean?

6. All IBIS model versions of the same part will be kept in the library.
** What does this mean?

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 14:24:32 EDT
Subject: Proposed IBIS librarian protocol
To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon Powell)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 94 06:14:38 PDT

I have one question about this general procedure and I will
admit it is a somewhat esoteric one.

Should IBIS make any attempts to verify that released models are
indeed being release from a given company. For Instance, how do we
know that Will Hobbs is indeed representing INTEL in this venture.
He is not a company officer nor (to my knowledge) have we had official 
INTEL correspondence to the IBIS committee. Do we allow anyone who
represents themselves as being from a company to submit models or should
they have some official blessing from their company?

For instance, what if Steven decides he doesn't like Wills model and releases
a new one to replace it.

I am not actually trying to make trouble but rather avoid it by
going and looking for it.

cheers,
jonp