Subject: Model Version Supported

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 94 15:49:40 PDT

To IBIS Committee:

Regarding the question whether should Version 1.1 level models be designated
Version 2.1 when Version 2.1 is stabilized (general opinion at last Fridays
meeting was NO), I now feel that BOTH versions should be supported.

Version 1.1 provides essential functionality compatible with everyone's
parser, but only through a Version 2.1 designation will certain additional,
potentially useful capabilties be available, even for Version 1.1 models.
One useful addition for all Version 1.1 models consists of the Vmeas,
Cref, Rref, Vref test setup.

So, I propose that all model producers consider posting, where possible,
BOTH Version 1.1 level models and Version 2.1 level models with the
IBIS Version 2.1 extensions.  

This can be done in several ways:

(1) Post models in a Ver1.1 directory and also in a Ver2.1 directory,

(2) Or possibly, post models at the Lowest level (Ver1.1). but through
a defined comment string (e.g. "|#*#") add in the Version 2.1 features
which can be easily inserted when the comment string is deleted with a
text editor (along with converting to [IBIS_Ver] 2.1). 

I would favor (1) since tested models of each Version are directly available,
but that puts some burden on the Vendor to keep changes to models
in Sync in two files.  Choice (2) is interesting, especially if there were
a standardized comment scheme so a simple script could test and do the
conversions AUTOMATICALLY on ANY file.  Care would have to be taken to
allow any [Comment char], and there may be future, unanticipated compatibility
problems regarding possible new features and changes.

Comments?

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.