Subject: ARPA and IBIS

From: [email-masked] (Syed Huq)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 94 12:56:50 PDT

Hi,

Just a general questions. I am hearing more about ARPA(Advanced Research Project
Agency) in our forum meetings. Exactly, how is IBIS and ARPA related.

I think ARPA is Govt. related and funds a lot of projects. Are we getting any
funding or hope to get any from ARPA..

Regards,
Syed huq
National Semiconductor.

---

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 94 13:44:55 PST

Text item: 

Syed,

North Carolina State U. got ARPA funding to do the Spice to IBIS converter, and 
the DIE project, I believe, also has some ARPA funding.  DIE uses IBIS for the 
signal integrity part of its spec.

Will Hobbs
Intel Corp.

Hi,

Regards,
Syed huq
National Semiconductor.

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: ARPA and IBIS
To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked] (Syed Huq)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 94 12:56:50 PDT

---

From: [email-masked] (Randolph E. "Randy" Harr)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 17:53:41 -0700

ARPA is part of the DoD Research and Engineering office.  They are primarly
responsible for funding advanced technology development.  ARPA spends $2.5
billion a year on such things as HDTV, Flat Panels, MEMS (those neat IC's
that are both electrical and mechanical), etc.  Many people remember them
for funding the initial development of the ARPAnet, TCP/IP and similar work.
This has been the basis for the Internet and other recent "hype" about the
information superhighway.  ARPA also manages the Technology Reinvestment
Project (TRP) which is the funnel for much of the "dual-use" "defense
conversion" funding.  The newly emerging counterpart to them on the
commercial side is NIST with their Advanced Technology Program (ATP).

Under the Application Specific Electronic Module (ASEM) program, ARPA is
funding Logic Modeling to develop "a standard for the interchange of
information on Bare Die".  Part of our overall information transfer is the
technology of signal integrity models.  Given IBIS came about as an industry
effort, we were able to drop resources in developing this technology and
focus it elsewhere.  But IBIS is still very important to our effort.
Therefore, we are willing to apply resources to assist your goals in order
to improve the overall quality of our work.

ARPA is also funding NCState on the SPICE2IBIS work.

You might check your paycheck also.  I am not sure which group you are in at
National but National is a major recipient of government funds in general
and ARPA in specific.  ASEM is also funding much of National's forray into
Known Good Die (KGD), MCM's and similar areas.

As for whether IBIS gets any funds -- ARPA funds projects in Universities
and companies that are presented to them under BAA's or other program
announcements.  If a company working on the IBIS effort wishes to propose a
project, and it is in-line with the goals of a program, then funding is very
possible.  You always here the commercial the Marines put out -- looking for
a few good men.  Well ARPA is always looking for a few (thousand) good ideas
to fund!

>funding or hope to get any from ARPA..

Randolph E. (randy) Harr
Senior Scientist and Program Manager
Logic Modeling Group, Synopsys Inc.
[email-masked], (415) 694-1835 (voice)