Subject: Ibis Technology makes announcement

From: [email-masked] (Syed Huq)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 94 15:47:54 PST

IBISgurus,
Do we have copyright on the IBIS name ?
See below...
Regards,
Syed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Syed B. Huq 
Applications Engineer/Data Transmission Products
National Semiconductor 
Tel:(408)721-4874; Fax:(408)721-4785
Internet:[email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

----- Begin Included Message -----

---

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 94 11:11:05 PST

Text item: 

Syed,

We did a trademark search on IBIS and found it was in such common usage, and no 
direct conflict with out use, that we weren't in conflict with existing 
trademarks.  We also felt it wasn't worth the effort to register.

I just called Jeff Riskin at IBIS Technology and let him know of our existence. 
They were founded in 1986 or 1987 under that name.  As I said, out trademark 
search did not find them, and Jeff doesn't know if they registered it.  He's 
checking to see if this causes them any problems.  The general principle is if 
there is possibility of confusion in the marketplace due to similarity of 
products and names, then there is a potential for problems with the names.  
Since we are a spec and they make semiconductors, I doubt if there would be any 
confusion.  Note that I am not a lawyer and my opinion doesn't count, though.

Thanks for bringing this to us.

Will

IBISgurus,

----- Begin Included Message -----