Subject: IBIS questions and concerns

From: Lynn [email-masked]...512.795.7234 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 94 13:49:13 -0600

I am new to this forum and committee so please forgive my ignorance
about the methodology of making inquires and perhaps about the subjects
in this inquiry.  If the information already exists please point me to
it.

*** Is there a "Standard Driver"?

I have spoken with several people as to whether there is a standard
driver topology for SPICE simulation of an IBIS data set.  I would like
to correlate my data in an IBIS based model of a complex circuit.  I
have been told -- well just copy this data set --------.  That is not
what I would call a quality answer.  I have been told that voltage
controlled current sources OR votage controlled resistors work.  My
thoughts are that current sources are better for bi-polar and resistors
are better for CMOS.

So, am I barking up the wrong tree?  Has everyone settled this one, and
I am just the new kid on the block?

*** Quality of support?

Some tools vendors implement IBIS in mathematical form, some vendors use
electrical models.  With all this variability how do I know that an IBIS
table is going to give me the same results on different tools?  This is
not, "its the customer's problem" situation.  With many dollars to loose
for my customer -- and then for me, I need to know that there are some
quality standards.

Does the IBIS community monitor itself?  Is there a published table of
tool tolerances?  Do the customer's really care?  Do other silicon
houses really care?

*** Drive for "true" standardization?

Is anyone interested in making this an industry standard, say, through
Semitec or IEEE?  I know that this will require a lot of contraints, but
then that is what a "standard" implies.