Subject: BIRD 7.1

From: Kellee Crisafulli <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Feb 94 02:44:51 EST

From: Kellee Crisafulli, HyperLynx
To: Bob
Re: BIRD 7.1

Wow, you seem to have covered most of the possibilities with this bird.
I think you deserve the big BIRD award.  (another IBIS yoke)

I am worried about using Open_up and Open_down.   I believe there will
be alot of confusion regarding the upper side being "open" as in missing.
As opposed to this being an output with an open side, and the upper side
is present.  I had to think about this for a few seconds when it was first
presented.  I found I had to think about it for a few seconds again when I
read BIRD 7.1.  This is a clue to me that other's may find it difficult to
use also.

How about sticking with what the industry seemed to have started as you
originally proposed?

I therefore propose the following terms be used:
    Input, Output, I/O, 3-state,
    Open_drain, I/O_open_drain,
    Open_source, I/O_open_source,
    Open_sink, I/O_open_sink,
    Input_ECL, Output_ECL, I/O_ECL

In this context Open_source    -> the output has an open side and sources current
                Open_sink      -> the output has an open side and sinks current
		Open_drain     -> retained for backward compatibility
		I/O_open_drain -> added so people that see Open_drain aren't
                                   confused 

Also I don't understand what use 3-state_open_drain has.  By definition
an open drain device is 3-state when it is off (what am I missing).

Great job as always Bob!