Subject: Response to Lynn from Kellee@HyperLynx

From: Kellee Crisafulli <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Feb 94 00:15:42 EST

Subject: IBIS questions and concerns
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 94 13:49:13 -0600
From: "Lynn [email-masked]...512.795.7234" <[email-masked]>

Q1) Is there a "Standard Driver"?
A1) Yes!  It was created by Arpad at Intel.  And it addresses most of your
    concerns quite nicely.  It has been brought up more than once that this
    spice model should be available as part of the IBIS specification.
    It sounds like a good BIRD.  Are you or Arpad interested in putting up
    the BIRD?  Arpad has done alot of work to create a great start on a universal
    simulation model.  It is a continuously evolving tool and most of the simulation
    vendors have their own methods.  We went through a comparision phase when
    IBIS was first started to insure all the vendors simulations compared accurately.
    Intel was unbiased the judge for the first validation suite.  Note: The original
    version of the IBIS spice model created by Arpad did not completely address
    open-side issues.  

Q2) Am I just the new kid on the block?
A2) Mostly yes, but we love new kids that bring ideas!

Q3) Does the IBIS community monitor itself?  Is there a published table of
    tool tolerances?  Do the customer's really care?  Do other silicon
    houses really care?
A3) Yes, No, ?, ?

Q4)*** Drive for "true" standardization?
A4) This was originally discussed, and we decided it was important to get IBIS off the
    ground and bypass the usually 2-3 years IEEE quoted as "standard" for the first release
    of this type of specification.  It seems reasonable to evolved IBIS into a standard
    IEEE/VHDL/ etc ..

IBIS is an evolving standard, built from a loose coupling of companies sharing a enough
common interests to make it happen.

Greetings Lynn, by the way "new kids" must submit at least one IBIS yoke.  Some of
us are prone to abuse the IBIS language, birds, eggs, yokes, etc....

Have a great day!

Kellee Crisafulli, HyperLynx