Subject: How to generate a BIRD

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 18:16:54 PST

Text item: Text_1

BIRD filename convention:

  pbirdn_n.txt   new/pending
  abirdn_n.txt   approved
  dbirdn_n.txt   dead

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy,                                                                  9/15/93

The following is your key to getting issues resolved in the IBIS Open Forum.
It's called a "Buffer Issue Resolution Document" or "BIRD".  Issues must be well
thought out and clearly documented using this template to be placed on
the agenda of a future IBIS Open Forum.

Here's how the process works.  Write up your issue and submit it to Will.  
Will's group will do a preliminary check for completeness and (potentially) send
your BIRD back to you.  If not, Will will post the issue to the reflector.  Each
issue must be out for review for two weeks before the Open Forum will vote on 
it.  During that time, you will be expected to answer questions related to your 
BIRD.  In each meeting announcement, Will will list those BIRDs that are ready 
for a vote at that meeting.  A BIRD will be accepted if EVERYONE at the meeting 
agrees with it.

Please note that Open Forum time will not be used for detailed BIRD review, but
rather for confirming consensus.  Detailed review MUST ensue during the two-week
review cycle via emails.  Dissenters should not wait until the Open Forum to
express their opinions.

So far the group has been exceedingly cooperative, achieving a 1.0 spec in only
a couple of months.  Hopefully this process will allow us to use time more
efficiently, while maintaining the same flavor in the larger group setting.

Regards,  Don Telian

NOTE:  All text in French brackets is for explanation only and should be 
deleted.

----------------------------   cut here    -----------------------------------
*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************

                       Buffer Issue Resolution Document  (BIRD)

BIRD ID#:      {don't fill in, will be filled in by Will Hobbs for tracking}
ISSUE TITLE:   {one line description of your issue}
REQUESTOR:     {your name and company}

DATE SUBMITTED:                       {date you sent to Will}
DATE REVISED:                         {revision date}
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:     {status or date BIRD accepted}

*******************************************************************************
*******************************************************************************

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

{Place a short description of your issue here.  People should be able
tell by reading this if they care about this in less than 1 minute.}

*******************************************************************************

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

{For new keywords, write the text EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD APPEAR in a
future IBIS specification.  If this is a change, state the old text
and the new text again EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD APPEAR.  Be sure to give
intended location in the specification.}

*******************************************************************************

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION:

{There are many "experts" reviewing this document.  Your reasons, analysis,
and justifications must be precise and well documented, or your BIRD will
be sent back to you.  Use this section to show that you've done your
homework, and answer all questions that will undoubtedly be asked.  If
your issue is a change instead of an enhancement, document how backward
compatibility is to be addressed.}

*******************************************************************************

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

{These documents will be archived, so use this section to carry any detail
that is not essential to the previous section, but should not be lost.}

*******************************************************************************