Subject: Re: EGG1.0; specifying the .PKG file

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 94 17:50:18 -0500

All,

  As I write up this bird, I was intending to describe how one goes
about specifying the .PKG file to use, in a .IBS file.  This led me
to wonder the following:

  1)  Should we force the .PKG file to be in the same directory as
      the .IBS file?

  2)  If not, should the specification include a "path" to the file?
	Possible problems:

	a)  Filename + path may exceed 80 characters
	b)  Differences in OS's.  Unix uses "/" to separate levels
	of the file hierarchy, but that #&*(#^%(* MS-DOS uses
	the character "\".

  3)  If paths aren't specified, what are the rules for looking for
	the file?  (Which directories do you look in?)

Let's thrash this one out before I waste time writing something not-
generally-agreeable into the bird.

--Eric

---

From: Lynn [email-masked]...512.795.7234 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 08:44:35 -0600

Great point about differing operating systems!  Also, I have full
triangular matricies for 304 pin packages -- they run about 3/4
megabyte.  A wee bit to big to embed in an otherwise readable file.  

The purpose for the "more complete" package file would be to account
for package elements that affect high frequency performance (e.g.,
mutual inductance).  Also, anyone that is interested in ground bounce
studies will need these elements.  Initially a default table with
"typical-global" inductance and mutuals would be easy to handle in an
.ibs file.  Even this is better than a detail pin list that does not
include mutuals.

I would recommend that pointer be used to the large package table.  One
must now decide how to implement the pointer.  One easy way around the
operating system idosycrasies is to make the pointed-to file in the
same directory as the .ibs file.

for example:
*
[Package_pointer] big.pkg
*

Regards ...