Subject: Email from you to IBIS forum

From: Kellee Crisafulli <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jan 94 01:01:53 EST

From: Kellee Crisafulli
To: Steve Lipa (NCSU)
RE: SPICE2IBIS

Good start Steve!

Regarding your questions:

      1) Some Si vendors use .TNOM and separate .MODEL cards for each
         temperature simulated, and some may use one .MODEL for all
         temperatures and a .TEMP card alone.  On a related note,
         any vendor that does use .TNOM probably does not use 50 and
         100 degrees C models.  Is the converter required to figure
         out which technique is being used and kludge a reasonable
         .TNOM and .TEMP for whatever model is given, or is the vendor
         supposed to go to the bother of generating new models?
Kellee -> It would be great if you could kludge together something.

      2) What about BiCMOS devices?  (sorry if this is a dumb question...)
Kellee -> Not a dumb question.   Which issues are you thinking of in 
particular?

      3) Is it OK to use a constant step size in the tables, or is
         it really desirable to minimize the number of entries?
Kellee->A constant step size is ok.  It may slow down the simulations 
slightly, however
           I don't believe this is a major problem.  If it simplifies your 
work do it.

      4) Are there other features required?
Kellee->I suggest a multiple step approach to this problem.

  Phase 1) (Understand the problem better) 
       Take input files from 2 or more vendors for a single CMOS device and
       write a translator.  (Keep it simple and get something that works)  
This
       will give us an excellent vehicle for commenting on the more 
advanced
       version.  Even hold the temperature a constant at 25 degrees C and 
don't
       worry about min/max for the first pass.  Document all places were 
more
       advanced features are needed as you go.  Report back to the IBIS
       forum and we can define a detailed Phase 2.   In the mean time the 
vendors can
       start using your work from phase 1.

  Phase 2) (Do it "right")
       Add support for more vendors spice models,  bipolar,ECL, BiCmos,
      and various open-side devices.