Subject: Re: BIRD 7 from Arpad

From: Arpad Muranyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 94 13:09:19 PST

Text item: Text_1

Dear IBIS watchers,

It seems to me that it really does not matter whether that open 
something is a DRAIN, or SOURCE, or COLLECTOR or EMITTER.  That is 
described by the V/I curve.  All we need to tell the simulator is 
whether the particular element that is left there in the device is 
connected to POWER or GND.  I feel we should either use JUST ONE of the 
existing terms, such as open drain, or open collector in a general (and 
somewhat inaccurate) manner, or we might coin a new term that means what 
we want to say without aggrovating those of us who like to mean what we 
say.  In either case, ONE keyword (or subkeyword, whatever it is) should 
be sufficient to achieve the goal.

Something like "open pulldown" could replace "open drain" and an 
additional "open pullup" might take care of all possibilities.  (Unless 
I am missing the point).  We can figure out how to spell them later if 
we decide on these terms.

Otherwise I agree with the intent of the BIRD.

Arpad

---

From: [email-masked] (C. Kumar)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 94 16:17:45 -0500

> Otherwise I agree with the intent of the BIRD.

I thought that the ECL bird provided for explicit referencing and solved
this problem.

- kumar