Subject: IBIS 7/15 Meeting Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 10:25:41 PST

Text item: Text_1

Date:    July 20, 1994

From:    Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         [email-masked]
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         [email-masked]
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 7/15/94

To:
AT&T Global Info Systems      Dave Moxley*
Anacad                        Steffen Rochel
Ansoft                        Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation             Dan Terry
Cadence Design                Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
Cadlab                        Ralf Bruning
Contec                        Maah Sango
Digital Equipment Corp.       Barry Katz*
EIA                           Patty Rusher
High Design Technology        Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
HyperLynx                     Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM                           Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
IBM-Motorola alliance         Lynn Warriner, Hoa Quoc, John Burnett
Integrated Silicon Systems    Eric Bracken*
Integrity Engineering         Greg Doyle
Intel Corporation             Stephen Peters*, Don Telian, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi, Derrick Duehren*,
                              John Keifer*
Interconnectix, Inc.          Bob Ross*, Scott Bloom*
Intergraph                    Ian Dodd, David Wiens
IntuSoft                      Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics               Ravender Goyal*
Meta-Software                 Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney, 
NEC                           Hiroshi Matsumoto
MicroSim                      Arthur Wong
National Semiconductor        Syed Huq
North Carolina State U.       Steve Lipa, Michael Steer*
OptEM Engineering, Inc.       Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
PC Ware                       Paul Munsey*
Quad Design                   Jon Powell
Quantic Labs                  Mike Ventham
Racal-Redac                   John Berrie
Siemens Nixdorf               Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier*
Symmetry                      Martin Walker
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.   Randy Harr
Texas Instruments             Bob Ward
Thomson-CSF/SCTF              Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd.            Stephen Lum*
Zeelan Technology             George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu

CC:
Intel Corporation             Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences 
are listed below:
     Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #
     8/5/94     (415) 904-8944   #809164  (1 hour only)
     8/26/94    (415) 904-8944   #809164
     9/16/94    (415) 904-8944   #809164
     10/7/94    (415) 904-8944   #809164

(Yes, the phone and reservation numbers are the same for all these meetings!)

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PDT (15:00 to 17:00 UTC).  We try to have 
agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 
days after.  When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum 
hosted by Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector 
([email-masked]) send e-mail to [email-masked].

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meeting Agenda
--------------

Check-in
Intros of new IBIS participants                           Hobbs
Review of previous meeting's minutes                      Hobbs
Miscellany/Announcements/Treasurer's report               Hobbs
Opens for new issues                                      All
Press updates                                             Hobbs/All
Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors                  All
New models available                                      All
Golden Parser, 2.1 plans                                  Hobbs
IBIS Librarian                                            Powell
IBIS Cookbook                                             Peters
Standards body affiliation                                Hobbs
Spice-to-IBIS Converter                                   Ross
Pending BIRDs                                             Hobbs
Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans                               Hobbs

Intros of new IBIS participants
None.

Review of previous meeting's minutes
There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.

Miscellany/Announcements/Treasurer's report
Nothing new to report on finances.

Opens for new issues
Bob Ross -- Number of Data Points in a Table.

Press updates
Nothing new to report.

Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors
Dave Moxeley will be working to get ASIC vendors to provide IBIS models.

New models available
None.

Golden Parser, 2.1
Paul Munsey, who wrote the V1.1 golden parser, spoke to the task.  Paul 
estimates 2x work/cost involved in creating the 2.1 parser.  Paul can have the 
work completed by Sept 30th.  This schedule skips an official Beta phase.  
Cadence, Interconnectix, HyperLynx, and Intel volunteered to help evaluate the 
parser during the process.

Beta test was debated.  Kellee recommended doing the Beta test.  Consensus on 
Beta testing reached later in the meeting.  With Beta starting Sept. 30, final 
release and ratification will occur in mid Nov.

Will took a quick roll-call to see if companies are willing to fund the work 
at $500 each.  7 volunteered, 3 more are tentative.  Since >20 V1.1 licenses 
were sold, we should have no problem raising the extra $5,000 needed (we have 
$4,000 in the bank).

Vote taken to hire Paul Munsey and co. with a Sept. 30 Beta due, and $9,000 
fee.  Unanimously approved.  

Paul does not need any funding upfront, so we can decide the details of 
collecting the money later.

Kellee recommends programming the parser to be fast, where reasonably 
possible.  Also, per our discussion at DAC, new data structures need to be 
created for V2.0.  Otherwise there were no comments on Paul's published list 
of issues.

Several people volunteered to supply test files and statements of what is 
wrong with them.

AR Stephen: Generate V2.0 test files for Paul by Aug. 1.
AR Kumar: Generate V2.0 package test files for Paul by Aug. 1.

Paul can be reached at (916) 784-7821, [email-masked].

AR Derrick: Put Paul on the reflector.  [Request submitted]

We need a parser evaluation plan.  No one volunteered to do this task.  We 
need someone to own the validation effort.  

AR Stephen: Start an evaluation/validation-plan discussion on the reflector.

Bob Ross volunteered to be the single point of contact for Paul.  Paul will 
also give status reports at each upcoming IBIS open forum meetings.

IBIS Librarian
Derrick proposed that it be left as is for now and reevaluated when we 
affiliate and formalize ourselves.  Then Michael Steer of NCSU volunteered to 
handle the librarian task, including creating the scripts needed to 
automatically parse incoming models.  NCSU has servers that could probably 
handle the database.  Thank you Michael!

AR Michael: Post a proposal to the reflector.  [Done]

IBIS Cookbook
Stephen and Derrick posted the cookbook to vhdl.org this week.

Standards Body Affiliation
Andy Graham of CFI (CAD Framework Initiative, [email-masked]) gave a quick 
overview of CFI, which is interested in IBIS because it is a standard related 
to modeling standards and the EDA industry.  40 CFI members represent 2x the 
number of companies in other standards bodies.  Most IC vendors already are 
affiliated with CFI.

CFI believes they can help us on EDA and semiconductor vendor fronts, 
certification, marketing, legal, and financial.  Matched ARPA funding a 
possibility.  He recommends going after standards affiliation after we have 
wide acceptance.  Andy questions our assumption that associating with a 
standards body will help get more semiconductor vendors producing IBIS models.

Cost issues are critical to the IBIS forum.  We want to maintain easy access 
by any company or group.  Andy mentioned an example fee structure: a 
compliance tool kit.  Vendor pays fee, gets tool kit, gets reference 
implementation, and a set of tests that can be used to verify compliance.  
When passed, they get to advertise, using a brand mark.  Certification costs 
$5K for small guys for each major rev.  For perspective, the average tool 
street price is $20 - $30K.  Certification is a quality issue.

AR Andy: Publish a two-page proposal for CFI affiliation.

Andy thinks Sematech should recognize IBIS.

Regarding copyright issues, CFI would own them.  Otherwise, it would be 
considered to be in the public domain.  Copyright enables CFI to indemnify 
people against claims of ownership of the standard.

Patti Rusher of the EIA sent Will Hobbs a proposal.

AR Will H: Post the proposal to the reflector.  [Done]

Spice-to-IBIS Converter
Bob Ross and Scott Bloom are debugging the converter and adding some features. 
 It is looking pretty good.  NCSU should be able to post this out on the 
reflector within the next few weeks.  

Spice-to-IBIS2.0 will be a significant challenge.  Bob wants the 2.0 converter 
work to proceed after the 1.1 converter is completed.

Number of Data Points
Bob Ross proposed increasing the 100 datapoint limit to 101.  Everyone agreed 
that it makes sense.  It will allow 100 points with 0 and 100 ends.

AR Bob: Publish a BIRD for this change.  [ Done]

Pending BIRDs
Not discussed.

Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans
Will Hobbs and Derrick Duehren will be at a face-to-face Open Model Forum 
meeting in San Jose.  They can attend for only the first hour.  We decided to 
hold a one-hour meeting on 8/5/95 and regular meetings every third week 
through October 7th.