Subject: Re: IBIS Librarian and Reflector, cost

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 19:47:04 PST

Mike,

 Your offer is sounding better all the time.

 Regarding costs, we will likely have extra $ from Golden Parser 2.1 sales that 
 could be used to purchase, or help purchase, a dedicated server.  In my 
 opinion, guest log-in is required.

 - Derrick
______________________________ Forward Header __________________________________
Subject: IBIS Librarian and Reflector
Author:  [email-masked] at SMTPGATE
Date:    7/21/94 1:26 PM

Derrick Duehren writes

>Mike, will NCSU be taking over all vhdl.org activities, including 
>the reflector, or just the database of files?

We can provide the full services of vhdl.org
  (WWW/mosaic/http/gopher/reflector (i.e. list_server)/ftp
with the exception of dial-up/guest log-in privleges. This exception is 
fairly major.  The reason for this is that it violates many of the site 
licenses for software on our network.

The only way we can provide dial-up is with a dedicated server which will be 
minus licensed software. We are in the process of negotiating the 
acquisition of such a server but we do not have it now.   Currently
free dial-up facilities would be available but eventually we may need 
to install a phone line.

On the plus side the service will be provided at no cost now and at least 
not for many years into the future.

We can almost be certain that SEMATECH will sponsor the effort eventually no 
matter where vhdl.org::/pub/ibis goes.

The impression I got in the Open Forum is that some day we may grow into 
an albatross (as opposed to a humingbird) so that our currently
free-as-a-bird access to vhdl.org may be reconsidered.   Do we need to move 
now?  As Derrick says should we wait until we ally with a standards-type 
organization. The other impression is that we need to run IBIS as cheaply as 
possible for a one or two years if it is to take off.  I would
like to see as much information freely available as possible.

Independent of where the files are we are prepared to be the 
``independent'' IBIS librarian.

Michael Steer
Associate Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
North Carolina State University
[email-masked]

---

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 94 17:49:02 PST

Text item: 

 Michael and other IBIS-folk,

 I like most of what Michael proposes, but I would prefer the main 
 server to be vhdl.org, since that is widely known and established.  
 Is there any problem with providing these services on vhdl.org?

 Will Hobbs
 Intel Corp.

 Mike,

 Regarding costs, we will likely have extra $ from Golden Parser 2.1
sales that
 could be used to purchase, or help purchase, a dedicated server.  In my 
 opinion, guest log-in is required.

 - Derrick
______________________________ Forward Header _________________________________ 
_
Subject: IBIS Librarian and Reflector 
Author:  [email-masked] at SMTPGATE 
Date:    7/21/94 1:26 PM

Derrick Duehren writes

Michael Steer
Associate Professor

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: Re: IBIS Librarian and Reflector, cost
To: [email-masked]
From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 19:47:04 PST