Subject: IBIS Librarian

From: [email-masked] (Jon Powell)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 17:34:51 PDT

Fellow ibisheads, 

I note that I am on the schedule for this Friday to discuss
the issue of "IBIS LIBRARIAN"

I thought I might warm up the mental juices with a few thoughts.

This is what I think about the IBIS library and the IBIS librarian:

1) Models that do not pass the golden parser should not be in the IBIS
sanctioned library (ie. vhdl). We may not be able to guarantee that all
IBIS models are good but we can at least make sure the ones that we distribute
pass the parser.

2) This means that we cannot allow just anyone to put models on the reflector.
Not even just anyone from any given company. Some small subset of responsible
persons need to be in charge or releasing "good" models.

3) I have heard it said on the ibis phone meetings that having a rotating
librarian position would not be good because we wouldn't know if we could
trust the librarian. Why is it we trust the librarian now? It seems that
an elected position in the group would be adequate until such a time that
we decided to become real and then hired someone to do it. I, for one, would
trust any of the people on the committee to be the librarian (or I wouldn't
vote for them).

4) The librarian would also be reasponsible for some sort of taging on the
IBIS files (changing their revision numbers). It would be good if the IBIS
sanctioned models did not change unless their model version numbers changed.
(This will save our customers a lot of headache).

Take it easy,

jon powell