Subject: Librarian Proposal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 94 16:51:58 EDT

As discussed in the last IBIS Open Forum Call (on July 15) I raised the
suggestion that NCSU could act as the IBIS librarian and a proposal was
requested.  Here it is.

                      IBIS LIBRARIAN PROPOSAL

The Electronics Research Laboratory in the Department of Electrical and
Computer Engineering at North Carolina State University proposes to
maintain the IBIS library and act as the IBIS librarian. 

1. An IBIS mosaic home page. A temporary page has been created and
   can be accessed by selecting 
      North Carolina State University
	College of Engineering
	  Departments and Programs
	    Electrical and Computer Engineering
	      ECE Department Research Centers
	        Electronics Research Laboratory
		  IBIS

   The URL is http://www2.ncsu.edu/eos/project/erl_html/erl_ibis.html

   It is very unlikely that this address will change so feel free
   to link to it.

2. An IBIS anonymous ftp site. basically everything available through mosaic
   will be on the ftp site (most of the files will be identical).
   The address is ftp.eos.ncsu.edu The directory will be pub/ibis

3. The library will contain IBIS models that have been validated by the
   IBIS librarian.  Models are valid if they they can be parsed (without
   error) by the Golden Parser.

4. The library will contain source code such as the Spice-to-IBIS code
   and other bits and pieces currently maintained on vhdl.org:/pub/ibis

5. The librarian will be Michael Steer (Associate Professor, Department of
   Electrical and Computer Engineering, NCSU --- phone +1-919-515-5191,
   fax +1-919-515-3027, email [email-masked])

6. We will seek US government funds to support activities such as
   Spice-to-IBIS for IBIS2.0 .
   (The development of Spice-to-IBIS for IBIS1.1 was supported by ARPA.)

7. The server will be run at no charge.  Eventually, if the space utilized
   grows to 500 MB+ or if the traffic becomes enormous we expect to acquire
   government funding to provide a dedicated server and disk space.

Running an IBIS server and functioning as librarian fits in well
with our CAD benchmarking activities. We welcome the opportunity to
participate and contribute.

Michael Steer
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Randolph E. "Randy" Harr)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 1994 17:33:07 -0700

Sorry I missed the meeting.  Would this involve taking over the reflector
also, providing email archive access, and public dial-in phone access?  If
so, it sounds like you are volunteering to take over all the activities
regarding IBIS from the vhdl.org machine.  Not a problem, just trying to
understand the thought process.

IBIS is in the top three groups of the most accessed set of files on the
vhdl.org machine.  A majority of the accesses are via anonymous FTP.  The
next largest set is via the email archive mechanism.  Public dial-up comes
in 3rd or 4th with gopher and WWW/Mosaic/HTTP being last (HTTP mostly
because our server is not well linked in to the WWW lists yet.).  To see
more info, look at the monthly logs in /vi/misc on the vhdl.org machine.
The files are named "stat.MMMYYYY" where MMM is the month and YYYY the year.

>participate and contribute.

Randolph E. (randy) Harr
Senior Scientist and Program Manager
Logic Modeling Group, Synopsys Inc.
[email-masked], (415) 694-1835 (voice)

---

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 10:25:40 PST

IBISians,

As acting librarian, this proposal sounds good to me.  We'll need to find out 
how this proposal fits with whatever standards body we decide on.  

Mike, will NCSU be taking over all vhdl.org activities, including the reflector,
or just the database of files?

- Derrick Duehren
  Intel Corp.

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Librarian Proposal
Author:  [email-masked] at SMTPGATE
Date:    7/20/94 2:28 PM

                      IBIS LIBRARIAN PROPOSAL

Michael Steer
[email-masked]