Subject: IBIS Librarian and Reflector

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 15:59:17 EDT

Derrick Duehren writes

>Mike, will NCSU be taking over all vhdl.org activities, including the reflector,
>or just the database of files?

We can provide the full services of vhdl.org
  (WWW/mosaic/http/gopher/reflector (i.e. list_server)/ftp
with the exception of dial-up/guest log-in privleges. This exception is
fairly major.  The reason for this is that it violates many of the site
licenses for software on our network.

The only way we can provide dial-up is with a dedicated server which will be
minus licensed software. We are in the process of negotiating the
acquisition of such a server but we do not have it now.   Currently
free dial-up facilities would be available but eventually we may need
to install a phone line.

On the plus side the service will be provided at no cost now and at least
not for many years into the future.

We can almost be certain that SEMATECH will sponsor the effort eventually no
matter where vhdl.org::/pub/ibis goes.

The impression I got in the Open Forum is that some day we may grow into
an albatross (as opposed to a humingbird) so that our currently
free-as-a-bird access to vhdl.org may be reconsidered.   Do we need to move
now?  As Derrick says should we wait until we ally with a standards-type
organization. The other impression is that we need to run IBIS as cheaply as
possible for a one or two years if it is to take off.  I would
like to see as much information freely available as possible.

Independent of where the files are we are prepared to be the
``independent'' IBIS librarian.

Michael Steer
Associate Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
North Carolina State University
[email-masked]

________________________________________________________________________________
The original Librarian Proposal Follows

As discussed in the last IBIS Open Forum Call (on July 15) I raised the 
suggestion that NCSU could act as the IBIS librarian and a proposal was 
requested.  Here it is.

                      IBIS LIBRARIAN PROPOSAL

The Electronics Research Laboratory in the Department of Electrical and 
Computer Engineering at North Carolina State University proposes to 
maintain the IBIS library and act as the IBIS librarian.

1. An IBIS mosaic home page. A temporary page has been created and
   can be accessed by selecting
      North Carolina State University
	College of Engineering
	  Departments and Programs
	    Electrical and Computer Engineering 
	      ECE Department Research Centers
	        Electronics Research Laboratory 
		  IBIS

   The URL is http://www2.ncsu.edu/eos/project/erl_html/erl_ibis.html

   It is very unlikely that this address will change so feel free 
   to link to it.

2. An IBIS anonymous ftp site. basically everything available through mosaic
   will be on the ftp site (most of the files will be identical). 
   The address is ftp.eos.ncsu.edu The directory will be pub/ibis

3. The library will contain IBIS models that have been validated by the
   IBIS librarian.  Models are valid if they they can be parsed (without 
   error) by the Golden Parser.

4. The library will contain source code such as the Spice-to-IBIS code
   and other bits and pieces currently maintained on vhdl.org:/pub/ibis

5. The librarian will be Michael Steer (Associate Professor, Department of
   Electrical and Computer Engineering, NCSU --- phone +1-919-515-5191, 
   fax +1-919-515-3027, email [email-masked])

6. We will seek US government funds to support activities such as
   Spice-to-IBIS for IBIS2.0 .
   (The development of Spice-to-IBIS for IBIS1.1 was supported by ARPA.)

7. The server will be run at no charge.  Eventually, if the space utilized
   grows to 500 MB+ or if the traffic becomes enormous we expect to acquire 
   government funding to provide a dedicated server and disk space.

Running an IBIS server and functioning as librarian fits in well 
with our CAD benchmarking activities. We welcome the opportunity to 
participate and contribute.

Michael Steer
[email-masked]