Subject: EIA proposal

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 08:25:07 PST

Text item: Text_1

IBISers,

Here is the letter that Patti Rusher sent to me regarding IBIS affiliation with 
EIA.

Will Hobbs
Intel Corp.

Mr. William Hobbs
XTG Modeling Manager
Intel Corporation
5200 NE Elam Young Parkway
Hillsboro, OR 97214

Dear Mr. Hobbs:

Thank you for the opportunity to discuss the possibility of IBIS Open 
Forum becoming affiliated with the EIA's Electronic Information Group 
(EIG) during last Friday's teleconference.

As we discussed, I would propose that the IBIS Open Forum become a 
Committee under the Design Automation Division of the EIG. This will 
permit the Forum to do the following:

1.    Submit its document to become an ANSI accredited standard by using 
the EIA accredited standards organization procedures. Under these 
procedures you can put your document through EIA as an Interim Standard 
that has a finite life of three years after which you can upgrade to an 
ANSI/EIA standard, or do them both simultaneously. EIA full standards 
have to be reconfirmed, revised or rescinded every five years.

2.    Maintain your current method of operation without having the 
burden of large overhead expenditures. By being a Committee, you don't 
have to belong to the Design Automation Division, but could pay a very 
reasonable committee fee. Divisional membership is desirable, but not 
mandatory! Members of the Design Automation would not have to pay 
Committee fees. EIA budgets are run Jan-Dec on an accrual basis. Your 
committee income and expenses would be rolled into the Design Automation 
Division, however, it is possible to set up special accounts for 
projects such as future parser development/contractor expense. EIA only 
asks that each Group be self liquidating and I believe we can work this 
issue to be advantageous for you and keep your costs to a minimum. 
Before putting any amount on this I would like to know what your current 
operational expenses are. As I indicated during the
teleconference, my expenses have already been budgeted this year, but I 
cannot imagine that IBIS would take up more than 1-2% of my time during 
1995.

3.    If IBIS Open Forum does decide to become a part EIA you will have 
access to our legal department, marketing service department, 
engineering, and we would be your official administrative arm 
alleviating this burden from the volunteer resources. EIA is a 
non-profit organization.

4.    EIA will have to maintain the copyright of any documents you 
decide to put forth as a standard for legal reasons. Distribution of 
information through the EIG will ensure that you can maintain cost 
controls, however, they will be advertised nationally and 
internationally through EIA's distributors.

5.    Since EIG is involved in other areas such as EDIF, VHDL component 
modeling as well as CASE exchange format standards, and future work such 
as the DIE, IBIS is a natural fit. EIG was created to help foster the 
growth of these exchange standards and help promote them throughout the 
industry.

6.    EIA's membership base is approximately 1100 companies. Our 
engineering department alone has approximately 275 committees with over 
6,000 individuals participating, providing you with lots of exposure.

Please feel free to contact me should you have any additional questions. 
Again, I fuel we can work together to promote IBIS.

Sincerely,

                                          Patti Rusher
                                          Director
                                          Electronic Information Group

CC:

Gene Lussier
Randy Hart
Ron Werner