Subject: Re: [Manufacturer]

From: [email-masked] (Randolph E. "Randy" Harr)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 17:53:54 -0700

Having worked with many in the industry on this very issue (Information
Handling Services with a database of 1.5 mil semiconductor parts; 450k+ are
IC's, Aspect Development, ExpertViews/Viewpoint International, and a few
large electronics producers (IC consumers)); experience tells me "do not
even attempt to ...".  It becomes a major database issue just to keep the
manufacturer names up-to-date and correct!  This is because of the constant
mergers, spin-offs, and sell-off of companies and product lines.  Each issue
of EE Times details 3-5 (on average) division / product-line sell-offs to
another company; etc.

If you wish to use anything other then uninterpreted text, I would suggest
CAGE (Commercial and Government Entity) codes.  This is the closest you will
get to a "defined" list of manufacturers associated with a given component /
product-line.  Otherwise, until it becomes a problem or large, let each
manufacturer introduce their own name in a format they desire -- with or
without division qualification.

>To Ibis Committee:
>
>Does anyone know of an "official" or "standardized" listing of manufacturer's
>names?  
>
>In all version of IBIS, the [Manufacturer] keyword is required.  Unless
>there are some guidelines, this "required" parameter would be hard
>to use other than for documentation.
>
>Bob Ross,
>Interconnectix, Inc.
>
>

Randolph E. (randy) Harr
Senior Scientist and Program Manager
Logic Modeling Group, Synopsys Inc.
[email-masked], (415) 694-1835 (voice)