Subject: Re: FYI: On vhdl.org and IBIS

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 94 08:42:14 PST

Text item: 

Randy,

Thanks for your mail.  It prompts me to do something I've been intending to do 
for a long time, which is to heartily thank you and VHDL International for your 
tremendous support of IBIS.

Will Hobbs
Intel Corp.

>To: [email-masked]
>From: [email-masked] (Randolph E. "Randy" Harr) 
>Subject: Re: IBIS Librarian and Reflector
>Cc:
>Bcc:
>X-Attachments:
>
>If you would like to talk verbally, call at the number listed below. 
>
>I am all for a transfer, if there is value added.  Your offer of providing 
more volunteer effort is tremendous.  I would caution about committing 
though with monies or resources not yet obtained or in place (sematech, 
etc.).  I have absolutely the best interests for IBIS in mind and would be 
more than supportive to move it off of vhdl.org but would want to make sure 
it is not dependent on resources not in place.
>
>As founder/funder/Sysop of VUG/VIUF and the vhdl.org machine; I can 
guarantee the support (hardware, etc.) wise for now and the future.  In 
fact, we have just reduced our costs while increasing our reliability by 
moving the machine onto Synopsys' T1 (soon to be T3) line and increased our 
redundancy connections from 2 sites to 3 (BARRNet, Alternet and NWNet).  We 
have been trying to provide one-stop shopping for EDA standards because, 
face it, we do not live in just a VHDL world -- we have many facets to our 
need.  For this reason, we have gopher/ftp-mirror/URL links to all over the 
World.  (Actually we purposely delayed our HTTP server until recently and 
are now just in the process of creating home pages for all the groups. 
Would you like to do the one for IBIS?)
>
>Vhdl.org sysops are all experts in the industry -- trying to assure up-time 
and quality of service.  The vhdl.org volunteer sysops are Randy Kirchof, Sys 
Admin, CFI; Steve Grout, Sys Admin, PDES Inc.; Mark Clem, Sys Admin, IKOS; 
Mitch Wyle and Paul Evans, Sys Admins, Synopsys, and myself.  We also have 
paid service backup / critical support from Lloyd Internetworking (consulting 
group made up of sysadmins from BARRNet, CERFNet, and MERITNet). We 
concentrate on keeping the general services up, current and working.  As 
volunteers, we spread the load and responsibility around so it is not too 
much for any of us.  With all our "volunteer" time spent supporting basic 
services, we do not have time to support individual group efforts.
>
>But many groups need a home; like IBIS did.  Therefore, we provide a 
"group" support service.  All we need know is who is/are the "sysop's" of 
the group.  They are then all given accounts and full access to the vhdl.org 
machine and expected to maintain their own directory areas and reflectors. 
The vhdl.org sysops then concentrate on providing general support services 
to the groups such as gopher, mosaic, RCS, Gnu programs, custom scripts, 
listserv, backup/recovery, etc. Currently, Derrick Duehren and I are 
sysop'ing the IBIS group -- Derrick the directory and I keeping the 
reflector up-to-date.
>
>We are more than happy to expand/transfer the IBIS sysop'ing to utilize 
your volunteer efforts.  Given the ease of global Internet connection, it 
should be just as easy for you to maintain and do your work on vhdl.org as 
from your own machine (I can attest to that).  I propose that you start 
immediately with the "Librarian" function on vhdl.org.
>
>If you need additional, special services we can work with you to support. 
For example, many of the stds group are asking for secure (authorized) 
access via email to RCS (ci, co, etc.) to deal with their equivalent of 
BIRDS.  This allows thems to email the BIRD (or rev of it), have it "checked 
in" and made available on the machine to others to access.  As we get this 
service up for VITAL and the VHDL standards group, we can provide it to IBIS 
also.
>
>As it makes sense in the future, the complete IBIS services can be 
physically moved to your host.  For the moment though, I would like to 
encourage your assistance directly on the vhdl.org IBIS sysop'ing.

Randolph E. (randy) Harr
Senior Scientist and Program Manager 
Logic Modeling Group, Synopsys Inc.
[email-masked], (415) 694-1835 (voice)

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: FYI: On vhdl.org and IBIS
From: [email-masked] (Randolph E. "Randy" Harr)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 1994 19:07:44 -0700