Subject: RE: IBIS LIBRARIAN PROPOSAL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 94 10:46:44 EDT

It seems that there is no need to move from vhdl.org and it make more sense
for IBIS to stay there.  There is no need for NCSU to provide a home for
IBIS.

Modified Librarian Proposal (7/23/94)

As discussed in the last IBIS Open Forum Call (on July 15) I raised the
suggestion that NCSU could act as the IBIS librarian and a proposal was
requested. It has been modified to reflect issues raised in email
discussions since the original posting of the proposal.

                      IBIS LIBRARIAN PROPOSAL
			   July 23, 1994

The Electronics Research Laboratory in the Department of Electrical and
Computer Engineering at North Carolina State University proposes to
act as the IBIS librarian.  The responsible person will be Michael
Steer.

1. The IBIS library will be managed.

2. The library will contain IBIS models that have been validated by the
   IBIS librarian.  Models are valid if they they can be parsed (without
   error) by the Golden Parser.  Models will be treated as confidential
   until they have been validated and publicly released.

3. Scripts will be developed to facilitate automated model check-in as much
   as possible.

4. The library will contain source code such as the Spice-to-IBIS code.
   Golden parser executables will be maintained.  Since Golden Parser source
   code is not publicly released I guess that they do not fit in the
   IBIS library. 

5. The librarian will be Michael Steer (Associate Professor, Department of
   Electrical and Computer Engineering, NCSU --- phone +1-919-515-5191,
   fax +1-919-515-3027, email [email-masked])

6. WHAT OTHER DUTIES SHOULD GO HERE.
   I think that the librarian should not be the IBIS sysop.

-------- END ------

QUESTION 1
==========

What shall we do in the rare event that golden parser bugs
are detected while validating models.  It is likely that many of these will
be due to valid interpretations of the spec that were not previously considered.
I think that we need a quick turn-around for addressing such problems.

Possible procedures are:

1. The librarian throws his/her hands up in the air and reports the problem
   to the IBIS specification watchdogs who update the spec or
   golden parser. (Yeah, I know we like to say that the golden parser is the
   spec but the spec does have to be written down somewhere and there could
   be a discrepancy between the two.)

2. The librarian isolates the problem and produces a minimum IBIS
   file that demonstrates the problem.   The IBIS file is doctored so as to
   preserve confidentiality. The file is then sent to the spec watchdogs.

QUESTION 2
==========

I think that there needs to be an IBIS disclaimer regarding the models since
we are providing them.   Vendors put in their own disclaimer but
we need something as well regarding the library.  Any thoughts?