Subject: Change Notes for Draft IBIS 2.0 Specification

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 1994 17:43:20 -0700

Hello Fellow IBISans --

     Here are the updated change notes.

		Best Regards,
		Stephen Peters
		Intel Corp.

                     IBIS Version 2.0 Change Notes

     Following is a list of the changes from IBIS version 1.1 to
version 2.0.  The global changes to the specifications are listed first,
then the specific added keywords and changes to existing keywords.  The
changes are listed in the order they appear in the specification.  Only
changes related to functionality or meaning are listed; minor changes 
to spelling, grammar, and syntax are not included.  Changes to the
IBIS_CHK program (the parser) are captured in a seperate document.

Global changes to specification:

1.  Underscores and spaces are now equivalent in keywords.  For example,
the version 1.1 keyword [GND_clamp] can now be typed as [GND clamp] and the
parser will accept it.  The intent is that all new keywords added to the 
specification NOT use an underscore character.  In addition, it is now
explicitly required that sub-parameter names NOT contain spaces.

2.  Three new scaling factors have been added: T=tera, G=giga and f=femto

3.  The characters "+" and "-" have been added to the list of forbidden 
comment characters.

Specific changes:

4.  The keyword [Copyright] has been added.  The Usage Rules were updated
to state that design automation tools should make the information
available, derivative models should include the text in the [Notes], 
[Source] and [Disclaimer] keywords verbatim, and any text following the 
[Copyright] keyword must be included verbatim.

5.  A note was added to the [Component] keyword description stating that
blank characters in component names are not recommended.

6.  The other notes section of [Package] keyword was updated to include
references to the [Package Model] keyword.  The specification now requires
that data in the [Package] keyword always be valid even if the [Package Model] 
keyword is used.

7.  The [Package Model] keyword was added per Bird 10.1 with the following
added requirement:  If the package model is in a separate .pkg file then 
it must be kept in the same directory as the .ibs file.

8.  The [Pin Mapping] keyword was added per Bird 5.4.

9.  The [Diff Pin] keyword was added per Bird 6.2.

10. To the [Model] keyword was added the sub-parameters Cref, Vmeas, Rref 
and Vref per Bird 14.3   The additional model types and explanations per 
Bird 7.2 were added as well as the terminator model type of Bird 9.2.  
Bird 2.2 (requiring Vinl and Vinh specification for inputs) was incorporated.

11.  The [Temperature range] keyword was added per Bird 13.

12.  The [Pullup Reference], [Pulldown Reference], [GND Clamp Reference],
and [POWER Clamp Reference] keywords were added per Bird 3.

13.  The following changes were made in the "Other Notes:" section of 
the V/I curve waveform table keywords.

	A)  All references to 'Vcc' were clarified to mean the voltage
            rail referenced by the [Pullup reference] or [POWER Clamp
            Reference] keyword.

        B)  Notes on how to tabulate data for ECL type devices were added
            per Bird 4.

	B)  Bird 8.2 was incorporated by defining monotonic data and
            stating that non-monotonic data is allowed.

	C)  Bird 15 was incorporated by explicitly stating the assumptions
            regarding summing of clamp and pullup/pulldown VI curves.  The
            specification also now explicitly allows non-tristatable
            devices, if needed, to include power and ground clamp data in
            in the [Pullup] or [Pulldown] table.

14.  The [Rgnd], [Rpwer], [Rac] and [Cac] keywords were added per
Bird 9.2 along with the terminator Model_type.

15.  The [Ramp] keyword now includes the R_load sub-parameter per Bird 13

16.  The [Rising Waveform] and [Falling Waveform] keywords were included
per Bird 12.

17.  Bird 10.3 was incorporated into the specification by creating the
PACKAGE MODELING section.

18.  The min, typ and max temperature conditions were updated per Bird 13

19.  The required voltage range over which an ECL output is characterized
is specified per Bird 4.	

20.  Note on extrapolating full VI table ranges even if using measured
data was added per Bird 13.

21.  The method used to derive ramp time was updated per Bird 13 and
Bird 7.2

------- changes by BIRD 

PREVIOUSLY APPROVED BIRDS ADDED TO SPECIFICATION:

BIRD		SUBJECT
----		-------
2.2		Requiring VIH VIL thresholds for input devices
3.0		Multiple Power Supplies and References
4.0		ECL Extensions
5.4		Pin Mapping for Ground Bounce Simulation
6.2		Differential Pin Specification
7.2		Open Specification Completion
8.2		Specification of V/I data Monotonicity
9.2		Terminator Specification
10.2		Describing coupling effects in package models
12.1		Non-linear driver waveforms

BIRDS APPROVED AT THE EDITING COMMITTEE MEETING:

BIRD		SUBJECT
----		-------
13.3		Clarify some conditions of measurements
15.0		Clarification on the usage of V/I tables
14.3		Adding timing measurement parameters