Subject: Bench Measurements questions ...

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 11:36:39 -0700

Hello Syed:

     In regards to your first question below, there are two ways to handle
a device with non tri-stateable outputs.

	1. Do not include the [GND clamp] and [POWER clamp] keywords or
        2. Include them but the "I" points should all be zero.
                                                         ^&^^
It is NOT allowed to make the typical column all "NA"s.  For the [Pullup] and 
[Pulldown] keywords your assumtions are correct.  Lastly, be sure that the
supply is turned on and off very quickly so that you don't get heating effects
due to power dissapation.

		Regards,
		Stephen Peters
		Intel Corp.

Hi,
	I need some clarification on some bench measurements. Let me know if I am
	correct on the following assumptions. 

	First of all, is it safe to assume that if the device is non-tri statable, 
	then no need to take [GND Clamp], [POWER Clamp] data as these will be 
	included in the [Pulldown] and [Pullup].
	So, I specify the voltage value on the 'Voltage' table but put NA on the 
	'I(typ)' column for both the Clamp measurements.

	For the [Pulldown], since it's referenced to GND, it's straight forward
	sweep of Vout from -5V to +10V. Measure the resulting 'I(typ)'. 
	No need to do any modifications to the V/I table.
	Does that sound right?

	For the [Pullup], since it's referenced to Vcc, I need to use the formula
	Vtable = Vcc - Vout.
	So, I again sweep Vout from -5V to +10 volts.
	Recalculate the Vtable numbers based on "Vtable = Vcc - Vout".
	Leave the 'I(typ)' sign( plus to minus) as they are.

	I am making my measurements not on a curve tracer but using a programmbale
	power supply and a software on a GPIB Mac that can Force a voltage range
	and record the 'I(typ)' reading.
	
Regards,
Syed huq