Subject: A question whose answer runs to ancient times ( I'm sure! )

From: [email-masked] (Bob Ward)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 94 14:32:05 CDT

Fellow ornithologists -

Let me try this again.  I am not at all sure if the last attempt to send this
sent anything.  I hope not since I was not done composing it yet.  Aren't networks
wonderful?

While collecting a number of thoughts ibis, it ocurred to me to wonder
what the intention of the file name keyword was.  It seems to be one
of those benign redundancies that so often happen in the design of a
scheme like this, but yet I have the haunting thought that I am missing
something, and that it was meant to solve some particular problem.  But
as I try to figure out just what that problem could be, I realize that it
has probably escaped my divination.  Anyone care to offer the missing
insight to make the purpose clear to me?

Thanx,

  Bob           [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Ventham)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 94 16:19:40 CDT

Bob,

The reason for it was so that when ibis files are emailed to parts known
or areas unknown, the receiver can know what to name it when saved
out of the email system into the 'real' world.

E.G [Filename] put_in_ibis.bin

I hope this clears up an ancient mystery.

Mike

-- 
+=============================================================================+
|  Mike Ventham   Vice President Engineering                                  |
|  Quantic Laboratories Inc, 1200-191 Lombard Ave, Winnipeg MB Canada R3B 0X1 |
|  Tel: (204) 942 4000 Fax: (204) 957 1158 Email [email-masked]        |
+=============================================================================+