Subject: IBIS 6/24/94 Meeting Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 14:55:05 PST

Text item: Text_1

Date:    June 28, 1994

From:    Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         [email-masked]
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         [email-masked]
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 6/24/94

To:
AT&T Global Info Systems      Dave Moxley*
Anacad                        Steffen Rochel
Ansoft                        Henri Maramis*
Atmel Corporation             Dan Terry
Cadence Design                Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
Cadlab                        Ralf Bruning
Contec                        Maah Sango
Digital Equipment Corp.       Barry Katz
EIA                           Patty Rusher*
High Design Technology        Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
HyperLynx                     Kellee Crisafulli
IBM                           Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
IBM-Motorola alliance         Lynn Warriner, Hoa Quoc, John Burnett
Integrated Silicon Systems    Eric Bracken*
Integrity Engineering         Greg Doyle
Intel Corporation             Stephen Peters*, Don Telian, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi*, Derrick Duehren*,
                              John Keifer
Interconnectix, Inc.          Bob Ross, Rick Maiero, Scott Bloom*
Intergraph                    Ian Dodd*, David Wiens*
IntuSoft                      Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics               Ravender Goyal
Meta-Software                 Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney, 
                              Les Spruiell*
NEC                           Hiroshi Matsumoto
MicroSim                      Arthur Wong*
National Semiconductor        Syed Huq*
North Carolina State U.       Steve Lipa
OptEM Engineering, Inc.       Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
PC Ware                       Paul Munsey*
Quad Design                   Jon Powell*
Quantic Labs                  Mike Ventham
Racal-Redac                   John Berrie
Siemens Nixdorf               Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier,
Symmetry                      Martin Walker
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.   Randy Harr*
Texas Instruments             Bob Ward
Thomson-CSF/SCTF              Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd.            Stephen Lum*
Zeelan Technology             George Opsahl*, Hiro Moriyasu*

CC:
Intel Corporation             Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences 
are listed below:
     Date        Bridge Number    Reservation #
     7/8/94      (916) 356-9999   361301       (GP discussion)
     7/15/94     (415) 904-8944   792456       (General Meeting)

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PDT (15:00 to 17:00 UTC).  We try to have 
agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days 
after.  When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by 
Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector 
([email-masked]) send e-mail to [email-masked].

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meeting Agenda
--------------

Check-in
Intros of new IBIS participants                           Hobbs
Treasurer's report                                        Hobbs
Review of previous meeting's minutes                      Hobbs
Miscellany/Announcements                                  Hobbs
Opens for new issues                                      All
Golden Parser, 2.1 plans                                  Hobbs
EIA Presentation/Discussion                               Usher
Press updates                                             Hobbs/All
Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors                  All
New models available                                      All
IBIS 2.0 ratification/DAC residual issues?                All
IBIS Cookbook                                             Peters
Levels of support                                         All
Spice-to-IBIS Converter                                   Lipa (NCSU)
Pending BIRDs (BIRD 16?)                                  Hobbs
Previously tabled until after 2.0 ratification:
Formal BNF notation (BIRD?)                               Reed, Harr
High freq. and EMI                                        Goyal, et. al.
Phased turn-on/off of multiple devices                    Powell
Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans                               Hobbs

Intros of new IBIS participants
Dave Moxley of AT&T Global Info Systems.  He is a model user interested in IBIS 
models of ASICs and other components.

Treasurer's report
The current balance is $4,191.64.  All income is from Golden parser license 
sales and $10 interest.

Review of previous meeting's minutes
There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.

Miscellany/Announcements
None.

Opens for new issues
None.

Golden Parser, 2.1
Paul Munsey estimates that the 2.1 Golden Parser work will be 2x the 1.1 parser 
effort.  Paul plans to work with another programmer.  They will each work on it 
part-time.  He expects the work to be 6 weeks full time.  He could have a Beta 
version mid September.  Then, another month for testing, and 2 weeks for final 
S/W, final release in October.  Jon Powell wants the parser by the end of 
August/early Sept.  After discussion, we agreed to have Paul write a short 
proposal with detailed schedule.  Paul may consider hiring another programmer to
get the work done earlier.  We will review the proposal at a special phone 
conference on 7/8/94.

AR Derrick: Send approved 2.0 spec. to Paul.  DONE.

AR Paul: Write 1 to 2 page proposal and post it to the reflector 
([email-masked]).

AR Derrick: Secure a bridge number for the 7/8 review meeting.

EIA Presentation/Discussion
Patty Usher, director of the EIA Electronic Information Group, presented an 
overview of the EIA (Electronics Industry Association) organization.  EIA is 
company-based standards organization.  Her group is an "ideal niche" for IBIS.  
We'd be a working group/sub-committee under her group.  This would give us the 
umbrella of a recognized standards organization.  

There would probably be a committee fee to cover the administration of the 
balloting, press releases, meetings and such, estimated at $100 per company.  We
would retain control over sale of the spec. and licensing of the Golden Parser, 
we would set the costs, depending on how much revenue stream we need to operate.
 Although the EIA would own the copyright on the spec., we would retain near 
autonomous control with support service from the EIA, which is funded by the 
member corporations.

The EIA offers two options for ratifying a standard, an "interim standard" with 
a two-year life (one month limited ballot) and a "proposed standard" with a 
60-day public ballot.  We would be required to answer all negative ballots, 
resolve them to the best of our ability, then it would go to ANSI.  The process 
takes at least 100 days.  The EIA uses one-company, one-vote balloting.  

Jon P. expressed concern over the cost of EIA affiliation because of the cost of
EDIF.  Randy says that EDIF committee set those costs. and that we wouldn't have
to set ours nearly as high.

If we decide to enroll with EIA, we need to send Patty a letter of intent to get
the process started.  She will forward it to EIA Legal and then would set us up 
as a committee.  

A decision by this body is possible at the next meeting.

Press updates
A press release is planned for Ver. 2.1.

Progress toward enlisting new IC vendors
We are executing the 7-part plan discussed at DAC (see 6/9/94 minutes).

New models available
As was decided at DAC, companies can post notices of model availability even if 
they are not posting the models themselves.  Contact Derrick Duehren for posting
details.

Randy Harr expressed some concern about control of the vhdl.org directories.  
Consensus is that control is sufficient for now (write access is limited to 
Randy and Derrick).  

Jon P. expressed concern that the models are not policed (verified against the 
Golden Parser) before posting to vhdl.org.  He wants a formal IBIS Librarian 
position established, possibly rotating among participants.  We will add a 
discussion of an IBIS Librarian with duties and responsibilities, who, etc. to 
next meeting's agenda.

Jon reported that Motorola is reevaluating their decision to release PowerPC 
IBIS models.

No other semi vendors were on-line to report.

IBIS 2.0 ratification/DAC residual issues?
None.

IBIS Cookbook
Stephen reported that all comments received to date have been incorporated and 
Stephen added the ramp rate and ground/power clamp 2.0 issues.  Stephen will 
publish it as a 0.9 draft on vhdl.org in a variety of formats.  Stephen was 
elected to be the Cookbook Czar.

AR Stephen: Post the cookbook ASAP.

Levels of Support
Much discussion brought out several strong opinions on various sides of this 
issue.  Some good suggestions were aired:

o  Simulator vendors need to communicate to the customers what level of 
   support they provide.  

o  An app note could be written to address what information a user needs 
   to do good simulation, or such things could be in the model itself.  
   Any volunteers?

o  Dave M. suggested that the GP output a table of 2.0+ (beyond 1.1)
   keywords and display all the notes and copyright information (on 
   screen).

AR Paul M: Add beyond 1.1 keyword display to the requirements list for the 
   2.0 Golden Parser.

Spice-to-IBIS Converter
Scott : The interface works well, but it has some problems and only supports 
Pspice and V1.1, not Berkeley spice.  A copyleft statement will be included to 
keep it non-proprietary.

Pending BIRDs (BIRD 16?)
Not discussed.

Formal BNF notation (BIRD?)
Not discussed.

High freq. and EMI
Not discussed.

Phased turn-on/off of multiple devices
Not discussed.

Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans
A Golden Parser discussion meeting will be held 7/8/94, and the next general 
open forum meeting is will be held 7/15/94.  Bridge numbers will be posted to 
the reflector.