Subject: IBIS 6/9/94 Meeting and BOF Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 94 14:42:19 PST

Text item: Text_1

Date:    June 20, 1994

From:    Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         [email-masked]
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         [email-masked]
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Ratification Meeting 6/9/94

To:
Anacad                        Steffen Rochel*
Ansoft                        Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation             Dan Terry
Cadence Design                Sandeep Khanna*, C. Kumar*
Cadlab                        Ralf Bruning*
Contec                        Maah Sango
Digital Equipment Corp.       Barry Katz*
High Design Technology        Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso*
HyperLynx                     Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM                           Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan*
IBM-Motorola alliance         Lynn Warriner, Hoa Quoc, John Burnett
Integrated Silicon Systems    Eric Bracken*
Integrity Engineering         Greg Doyle
Intel Corporation             Stephen Peters*, Don Telian, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi*, Derrick Duehren*, 
                              John Keifer, Robin Rosenbaum
Interconnectix, Inc.          Bob Ross*, Rick Maiero*
Intergraph                    Ian Dodd, David Wiens
IntuSoft                      Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics               Ravender Goyal
Meta-Software                 Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney*
NEC                           Hiroshi Matsumoto
MicroSim                      Arthur Wong
National Semiconductor        Syed Huq
North Carolina State U.       Steve Lipa
OptEM Engineering, Inc.       Benny Leveille*, Ken Ehn*
Quad Design                   Jon Powell*
Quantic Labs                  Mike Ventham
Racal-Redac                   John Berrie
Siemens Nixdorf               Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier, 
                              Torsten Maeser*
Symmetry                      Martin Walker*
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.   Randy Harr*
Texas Instruments             Bob Ward*
Thomson-CSF/SCTF              Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd.            Stephen Lum
Zeelan Technology             George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu*

CC:
Intel Corporation             Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences 
are listed below:
                    Date        Bridge Number    Reservation #
                    6/24/94     (916) 356-9999   328519

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PDT (15:00 to 17:00 UTC).  We try to have 
agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days 
after.  When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by 
Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector 
([email-masked]) send e-mail to [email-masked].

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

6/9/94 Summit Proposed Meeting Agenda
-------------------------------------

Opening Remarks
Agenda Review
Review Voting Process
Short Intro/Overview Discussion of Rev 2.0
Ratification 
Levels of Support
Lunch
Golden Parser Discussion
Future Open Forum , Affiliation, Standards, and Funding/Membership
Increasing Participation Discussion/Getting Vendors to Provide Models
IBIS Cookbook
Future Technical Direction (Rev 3.0)
Timing Information within IBIS 
IBIS into Pinnacles/SGML (Randy Harr)
Press Release
Opens

1.  Opening Remarks
Will Hobbs presented opening remarks, including a brief overview of IBIS and the
forum.

Will announced that Paul Munsey has reviewed the proposed 2.0 spec.  He found "a
couple of minor things" per a voice-mail message.

Eric Bracken of Performance Signal Integrity announced that PSI had been bought 
by Integrated Silicon Systems.

2.  Agenda Review
Increasing Participation Discussion/Getting Vendors to Provide Models
IBIS Cookbook
Press Release

Syed: Should technical questions be posted to the reflector?  Yes.

3.  Review Voting Process
Agreed on previously agreed process (reference meeting minutes...)

4.  Short Intro/Overview Discussion of Rev 2.0

5.  Rev 2.0 Ratification 
The Rev 2_0.X2 draft spec. that was published to the IBIS reflector on or about 
June 1, 1994 was unanimously ratified with changes noted.  The approved and 
updated Rev 2.0 spec. has been posted to the /ibis directory of vhdl.org as 
VER2_0.TXT.  Stephen Peter's change notes are in the same directory 
(VER2_0RN.TXT).  

No changes other than syntactical changes required by the Golden Parser and 
possibly levels-of-support changes will be made for Rev 2.1.  

One key clarification occurred in the ramp rate spec.  Several people had 
interpreted the ramp rate, which is of the form [3.2V]/[2.1nS], as a reducible 
fraction, defining only a slope.  In fact, the number represents three pieces of
information:  the slope, the voltage spanning the middle 60% (80% - 20%) of the 
difference between the steady state DC high and low output voltage levels, and 
the time it takes to traverse that particular 60% of the range. 

6.  Levels of Support
Levels of support were discussed at length, with the idea that 2.0 had enough 
new functionality that it might be too much for new EDA vendors to take on, 
acting as a deterrent to them supporting IBIS at all.  We found this to be an 
issue with strongly held opinions both ways, so we chose to table the discussion
for the IBIS reflector and future phone conferences.

7.  Golden Parser Discussion
The forum agreed that the IBIS spec. is no longer assumed to be parsable.  

We are contracting the original "Golden Parser" engineer, Paul Munsey, to write 
a new golden parser for 2.0, and fully expect some minor changes to the spec. to
occur during this process.  Our goal is for this work to be completed by some 
time in August, at which time we will issue a new press release and the EDA 
vendors will release new simulators with 2.0 functionality.

Jon Powell presented the following list of suggested coding-standard changes to 
the Golden Parser.  These changes will make the parser easier to use and port.

1.  struct IBIS*IBIS_CHK(inf)
               file *inf;

2.  structure to be dynamically allocated.

3.  All data except comments are to be retained in structure.

4.  main code to be built around IBIS_CHK call.

5.  structure to be freeable.

6.  main.c    \
    +         | not meant to imply actual names
    other.c   /

    Intent:
    .C file structure designed to be placed into other programs

7.  ANSI C standards

8.  Jon Powell to supply Vec_test model.

9.  No globals

10. IBIS_Free() to be defined

11. DOS flag for case insensitive argument read

12. Numbers to be "double" and count all units --> 9ns --> 9e-9 as in 
    the IBIS spec.

Paul Munsey to take this input and the text at the end of the Rev 2_0.X2 draft. 
[Sent to Paul 6/20/94]

Check for voltage range, issue a warning if it does not meet the spec.

8.  Future Open Forum Structure, Affiliation, Standards, and 
    Funding/Membership
We discussed the future form of the IBIS Open Forum organization, and agreed to 
continue this discussion in coming meetings, with the standards organization 
information factored in.

Randy Harr discussed the pros and cons of IEEE and EIA (Electronic Industry 
Association) groups.  The committee decided to pursue EIA affiliation as a first
choice.  
AR Randy H: Try to get EIA (Electronic Industry Association) rep to participate 
in upcoming meeting.

The idea on the table is to seek affiliation after Rev 2.1.

9.  Increasing Participation/Getting Vendors to Provide Models 
We discussed ways to increase participation and model availability for IBIS.  TI
indicated they were on the verge of officially embracing IBIS, and National 
Semiconductor said they were just waiting on 2.0.

AR Kellee: Contact Xilinx to see if they will publish models created by 
HyperLynx

Five keys to increased model availability and participation were identified:

A. Publish the cookbook as it is now
Syed H: It is difficult to create models from measurement.  Is there any 
cookbook information?  Arpad offered some suggestions. 

The Cookbook is underway, and will be released soon.  Syed Huq of NSC indicated 
he would add his experiences to the cookbook later this summer, so this will 
likely be a gradually improving how-to guide.

AR Stephen/Arpad, add Arpad's measurement tips to the cookbook.

B. Publish press releases
We decided to wait for 2.1 for our press release.

C. Publish IBIS articles
Several magazine article ideas were discussed, and Derrick will pursue getting 
the overview article he adapted from our IBIS Overview document published, and 
Bob Ward of TI indicated he would write a technical article on IBIS.

AR Derrick: Complete the overview article and get it published.  Add 
Spice-to-IBIS conversion utility and a 2.0 discussion/compatibility.  
UPDATE: EDN has accepted the article for publication sometime this year.

AR Jon : See if a note can be posted to vhdl.org saying something to the effect 
of "PPC IBIS models are available under non-disclosure agreement".

D. Affiliate with a standards organization
We discussed standards organization affiliation.  Randy Harr of LMG gave us an 
overview of EIA, EIA-J, IEEE and other standards bodies, and basically said that
IEEE is expensive to join, proceeds very slowly, and that EIA and IEEE offer 
basically the same standards legitimacy world-wide.  Randy agreed to invite 
someone from EIA to our next Open Forum meeting to discuss their organization 
with us.

E. Spice-to-IBIS translation program tested and in use
Steve Lipa of North Carolina State University is still working on the Spice to 
IBIS converter.  He was at the Birds of a Feather session, and gave us a 
progress update-- not done, but making good headway.

F. Possibly sponsor one-day IBIS-creation training seminar.

G. Publish IBIS notices on vhdl.org that advertise the existence of IBIS 
   models from vendors, including non-public models.

10. IBIS Cookbook
Previously discussed.

11. Future Technical Direction (Rev 3.0)
A checksum keyword is needed in the next rev to help identify any alterations to
an "official" IBIS file.

12. Timing information within IBIS 

13. IBIS into Pinnacles/SGML (Randy Harr)
Randy told of his experiences turning the DIE spec. into SGML format.  It was 
wholly rejected by the die-spec. committee.  Bottom-line, it does not provide 
sufficient advantages.  See pub/die/workshop3 on vhdl.org.

14. Opens
Randy Harr described work being done by the die-spec. committee.  Data-sheet 
level data is level zero (optional).  See pub/die/workshop4 directory on 
vhdl.org. 

========================================================================
Notes from IBIS Birds of a Feather DAC Session 6/8/94:

Attendees:

Aspect Development            Kenneth Belanger
Cadence Design                C. Kumar
Digital Equipment Corp.       Barry Katz
HyperLynx                     Kellee Crisafulli
Intel Corporation             Stephen Peters, Will Hobbs
                              Arpad Muranyi, Derrick Duehren, 
Interconnectix, Inc.          Bob Ross, Rick Maiero
Intergraph                    Walter Katz, Rob Kelley
Integrated Silicon Systems    Eric Bracken
Meta-Software                 Bill Guthrei, Les Spruiell
National Semiconductor        Syed Huq
Nikkei Electronics Bus Pub.   Ikutaro Kojima
North Carolina State U.       Paul Fraazer
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.   Randy Harr
Texas Instruments             Bob Ward
Vantage Analysis Systems      Francoise Martinolle
Zeelan Technology             Hiro Moriyasu
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Hobbs began the meeting with a historical and technical overview of IBIS.  
The open discussion focused on model availability and possible affiliation with 
a standards organization.  A number of ideas were offered to increase the 
profile and "legitimacy" of IBIS, which were again discussed at the Thursday 
session.

Ideas logged:
o  We need to contact the DAC program committee and propose a Signal 
   Integrity/IBIS tutorial at next year's DAC

o  A tutorial-type article in ASIC and EDA magazine is needed.  Bob Ward 
   volunteered to work on this article.

o  Randy Harr shared the levels of support used by the Die Information 
   Exchange standard:
     Level 0  =  Data book info.
     Level 1  =  Includes sim test and IBIS Ver 1.1 data
     Level 2  =  Includes very specific data such as lot-specific data

o  Private (non-public) IBIS models exist.  We agreed that to increase 
   exposure for these models, vendors wanting to sell their IBIS models 
   can post announcement-type ads on vhdl.org.  Send your text file to 
   [email-masked].  Derrick will create a subdirectory 
   for your company in the /models directory and post your file.

   For example, a company (such as Zeelan Tech.) might post a listing 
   of IBIS models for sale, with appropriate contact information.