Subject: Timing

From: [email-masked] (Bob Ward)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 94 20:43:58 CST

To all the ibis forum -

In looking over some of the BIRDS before the last forum call, the
question occured to me that if we are putting voltage thresholds into
the input models for the sake of timing analysis ( which I agree with
fully! ) should we also have, probably optional, annotation of the setup
and hold times for clocked devices for the same purpose?  If we view
ibis models as some kind of "electronic data book", then it would seem
natural to include these times, possibly under an optional [Timing]
keyword.  This would give enough data all in one place to flag
violations.  I doubt that there is enough data to assess the metastable
behviour possible if the violation occurs, and I am not at all sure we
want to put that much data in the model.  It gets too much into the
specifics of the circuitry, as well as not being particularly amenable
to measurement apart from simulation.  Does the forum feel this warrants
a BIRD?

Thanks,

______________________________________________      ____________________
|                   | Seeking to return to    |    /  __________________O
| Bob Ward          | the North Country, MN,  |   /  /|________________
| [email-masked] | WI, ND, SD, or MT. Also |  /  /_/________________O
| 713.568.4122      | considering Mtn. West.  | /_____________________
|___________________|_________________________| |_____________________O