Subject: IBIS 5/13/94 Meeting Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 20:00:03 PST

Text item: Text_1

Date:    May 16, 1994

From:    Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         [email-masked]
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         [email-masked]
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum 5/13/94

To:
Anacad                        Steffen Rochel
Ansoft                        Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation             Dan Terry
Cadence Design                Sandeep Khanna, Chris Reed,
                              Kumar*
Contec                        Maah Sango, Clark Cochran
Digital Equipment Corp.       Barry Katz
High Design Technology        Michael Smith
HyperLynx                     Steve Kaufer, Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM                           Jay Diepenbrock
IBM-Motorola alliance         Lynn Warriner, Hoa Quoc, John Burnett
Integrity Engineering         Greg Doyle, Wayne Olhoft
Intel Corporation             Stephen Peters*, Don Telian, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi*, D. Duehren*, John Keifer*
Interconnectix, Inc.          Bob Ross*
Intergraph                    Ian Dodd, David Wiens
IntuSoft                      Charles Hymowitz
Logic Modeling Corp.          Randy Harr
Mentor Graphics               Greg Seltzer, Ravender Goyal
Meta-Software                 Mei Wong, Mei-Ling Wei
NEC                           Matsamoto Hiroshi*
MicroSim                      Arthur Wong, Jerry Brown, Graham Bell
National Semiconductor        Syed Huq
North Carolina State U.       Paul Franzon, Michael Steer, Steve Lipa
Performance Signal Integrity  Vivek Raghawan, Eric Bracken*
Quad Design                   Jon Powell
Quantic Labs                  Mike Ventham*, Zhen Mu
Racal-Redac                   John Berrie
Siemens Nixdorf               Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier
Texas Instruments             Bob Ward*
Thomson-CSF/SCTF              Jean Lebrun
Zeelan Technology             Hiro Moriyasu, George Opsahl*

CC:
Intel Corporation             Randy Wilhelm, Jerry Budelman,
                              Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS 
teleconferences are listed below:
                    Date        Bridge Number    Reservation #
                    5/20/94     (916) 356-9999   315842 (1:00 pm PST)
                    5/27/94     (415) 904-8800   744468

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PST (15:00 to 17:00 UTC).  We try 
to have agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes 
out within 7 days after.  When you call into the meeting, ask for the 
IBIS Open Forum and give the bridge operator the reservation number.

If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector 
([email-masked]) send e-mail to [email-masked].

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/13/94 Meeting Agenda
----------------------

Check-in
Intros of new IBIS participants                       Hobbs
Review of previous meeting's minutes                  Hobbs
Miscellany/Announcements                              Hobbs
Opens for new issues                                  All
New models available                                  All
IBIS 2.0 Ratification/DAC/Other 2.0 Issues            Hobbs
-  May 20 Editing meeting
-  Rev 2.0 Ratification Summit (6/9)
IBIS Cookbook                                         Hobbs, Rosenbaum
BIRD 8, Spec. of V/I data monotonicity                Crisafulli
BIRD 12, Non-Linear Driver Waveforms                  Peters
BIRD 13, Clarify Some Conditions of Measurements      Ward
BIRD 14, New section for [Model] sub-parameters       Keifer
Egg 5.3                                               Ross
Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans                           Hobbs

1.  Intros of new IBIS participants
New participant: Matsamoto Hiroshi, NEC (Japan).

Bob W. got a message from a TI person from England.  They are interested 
in IBIS for use in the Telecomm industry and keen on differential 
inputs.

2.  Review of Pervious Meeting's Minutes
There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.  

3.  Miscellany/Announcements
After the meeting Eric B. and Bob R. mentioned the following IBIS-in-
the-news item:  An article in the April/May 1994 Printed Circuit Design 
magazine mentions IBIS.

4.  Opens for new issues
Arpad questioned why Zeelan would encrypt IBIS models.  Some companies, 
such as Intel, provide IBIS models free of charge, while others are 
charging for them.  It is a business issue.  Kellee pointed out that 
encryption should be standardized so all simulators can use it without 
going through extra steps to decrypt for different simulators.

AR Kellee: Call George Opshal (Zeelan) and discuss your concerns.

Bob Ross added Egg 5.3 to the agenda.

5.  New models available                      
Will is receiving requests for IBIS models and is telling them to 
contact their simulator vendor.

6.  IBIS 2.0 Ratification/DAC                 
    -  May 20 Editing Committee 
       Will has contacted Paul Munsey, who is interested in working on 
       the 2.0 GP.
       AR Will: Get cost estimates from Paul before DAC.

       We will have a teleconference meeting 1:00 pm PST, 5/20/94 to get 
       additional feedback and approval on yet pending BIRDs.

    -  Rev 2.0 Ratification Summit (6/9/94)
       Bob Ward got IBIS posters back from the artist, they look good.

       AR Will: Have list of IBIS Overview requesters at DAC.

    -  Birds of the Feather (6/8/94)
       Everyone interested in attending BOF has to sign up in person at 
       DAC, including those who RSVPed.

7.  IBIS Cookbook  
Robin Rosenbaum not present to comment.  Kellee submitted a generic 
example for the cookbook.  Thanks Kellee.

8. BIRD 8, Spec. of V/I data monotonicity    
Kellee read the summary of changes from the last version (see BIRD 8.1).
Monotonicity is required on one axis.  If another axis is non-monotonic, 
the Golden Parser will issue a note.  Non-monotonic data is not illegal, 
just suspicious.  Added requirement for the line number of the first 
occurrence in each affected table.  Change header from "Warning" to 
"Note".

Vote taken: Approved unanimously with two changes (to 8.2).

9. BIRD 12, Non-linear Driver Waveforms
Stephen added the changes from last meeting's discussion.  We discussed 
whether we should specify a maximum number of ramp tables.  Bob Ross 
felt we shouldn't place any limitations or suggestions on the number of 
tables.  Kellee would like at least some arbitrary upper limit, even if 
it is very big, such as 50.  Arpad pointed out that the VI points are 
limited to 100, so limiting to 100 ramp tables is reasonable.

Consensus reached on a maximum of 100 ramp tables.

Vote taken: Approved unanimously  with change (to 12.2). 

10. BIRD 13, Clarify Some Conditions of Measurements
Bob W. put out a new version last night that no one received.  The IBIS 
spec. does not specify the voltage sweep range.  Re: min, typ, max, does 
the sweep voltage scale with Vcc or do we specify the sweep range based 
on the typical range?  Consensus is to use the typical range.

Recommendation to be added to the BIRD and elaborated in the cookbook.
Consensus that Vcc at typical is best.  This needs to be reflected in 
the cookbook, as well as BIRD 13.

Not ready to approve.  Several changes were suggested.  Will try for 
approval at the May 20 meeting teleconference.  

AR Bob W.: Make the changes as discussed and repost.
AR Stephen: Let Robin R. know this change for the cookbook.

11. BIRD 14, New Section for [Model] Sub-parameters
John Keifer described the BIRD.  Discussed the understanding of the 
BIRD.  There is much confusion.  Discussion revolves around flight time 
measurements, test conditions during testing done on silicon, not 
internal propagation delay.  Discussion will continue on the reflector 
and potentially voted on next week.

12. BIRD 15, V/I Table Usage Clarifications
Arpad introduced it, Bob R. suggested one minor change in clamping 
wording.  We will vote on it 5/20/94.

AR Arpad: Close this issue with Jon Powell ASAP (Jon was not present) 
and reissue as 15.1 with Bob's comments.

13. Egg 5.3
Bob R. briefly discussed it.  

14. Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans                
Next meeting is 5/20/94, 1:00 pm PST.