Subject: New Spec change notes re-posting

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 08:24:25 -0700

Hello Fellow IBISans --

     Now that the reflector is back on line  I'm
going to repost the change notes that went along with the
new, rev2.0 spec.  The spec itself, the minutes of the
editing committe meetting, and the agenda for Fridays
teleconferece are in Randy's message of 5/25 titled
"Missing Mail since May 18"  Please look the spec over
and come prepared with comments.

		Best Regards,
		Stephen Peters
		Intel Corp.

--------------------- cut here ------------------------

                     IBIS Version 2.0 Change Notes

     Following is a list of the changes from IBIS version 1.1 to
version 2.0.  The global changes to the specifications are listed first,
then the specific added keywords and changes to existing keywords.  The
changes are listed in the order they appear in the specification.  Only
changes related to functionality or meaning are listed; minor changes 
to spelling, grammar, and syntax are not included.  It is expected 
that this document will evolve into the official release notes for 
Version 2.0.

Global changes to specification:

1.  Underscores and spaces are now equivalent in keywords.  For example,
the version 1.1 keyword [GND_clamp] can now be typed as [GND clamp] and the
parser will accept it.  The intent is that all new keywords added to the 
specification NOT use an underscore character.  In addition, it is now
explicitly required that sub-parameter names NOT contain spaces.

2.  Three new scaling factors have been added: T=tera, G=giga and f=femto

3.  The characters "+" and "-" have been added to the list of forbidden 
comment characters.

Specific changes:

4.  The keyword [Copyright] has been added.  A note was also added that
derivative models should include the text in the [Notes], [Source]
and [Disclaimer] keywords.  Any text following the [Copyright] keyword
must be included verbatim in the derivative models.

5.  The other notes section of [Package] keyword was updated to include
references to the [Package Model] keyword.  The specification now requires
that data in the [Package] keyword always be valid even if the [Package Model] 
keyword is used.

6.  Bird 14.1 was broken into two proposals.  The [Spec] keyword was
renamed [Pin Extension 1] and the override of Model_type was deleted.
John Keifer has agreed to reissue this portion of his bird as Bird 16
and a separate vote will be taken before including into Version 2.0

7.  [Package Model] keyword was added per Bird 10.1 with the following
added requirement:  If the package model is in a separate .pkg file then 
it must be kept in the same directory as the .ibs file.

8.  The [Pin Mapping] keyword was added per Bird 5.4 (Note that the
original, approved Bird 5.2 was reopened because of changes required 
by the adoption of Bird 3, multiple supply rails.)

9.  The [Diff Pin] keyword was added per Bird 6.2.

10. To the [Model] keyword was added the sub-parameters Cref, Vmeas, Rref 
and Vref per the second part of Bird 14.1  John Keifer has agreed to reissue 
Bird 14 with these changes only.  The additional model types per Bird 7.2 
were added as well as the terminator model type of Bird 9.2.  Bird 2.2 
(requiring Vinl and Vinh specification for inputs) was incorporated.

12.  The [Temperature range] keyword was added per Bird 13.

11.  The [Pullup Reference], [Pulldown Reference], [GND clamp reference],
and [POWER clamp reference] keywords were added per Bird 3.

13.  The following changes were made in the "Other Notes:" section of 
the V/I curve waveform table keywords.

	A)  All references to 'Vcc' were clarified to mean the voltage
            rail referenced by the [Pullup reference] or [POWER clamp
            reference] keyword.

        B)  Notes on how to tabulate data for ECL type devices were added
            per Bird 4.

	B)  Bird 8.2 was incorporated by defining monotonic data and
            stating that non-monotonic data is allowed.

	C)  Bird 15 was incorporated by explicitly stating the assumptions
            regarding summing of clamp and pullup/pulldown VI curves.  The
            specification also now explicitly allows non-tristatable
            devices, if needed, to include power and ground clamp data in
            in the [Pullup] or [Pulldown] table.

14.  The [Rgnd], [Rpwer], [Rac] and [Cac] keywords were added per
Bird 9.2 along with the "terminator" Model_type.

15.  The [Ramp] keyword now includes the R_load sub-parameter per Bird 13

16.  The [Rising waveform] and [Falling waveform] keywords were included
per Bird 12.

17.  The min, typ and max temperature conditions were updated per Bird 13

18.  The required voltage range over which an ECL output is characterized
is specified per Bird 4.	

19.  Note on extrapolating full VI table ranges even if using measured
data was added per Bird 13.

20.  The method used to derive ramp time was updated per Bird 13 and
Bird 7.2

21.  The "Notes on IBIS_chk program" section was added.  This section 
includes the IBIS_chk references from Bird 8.2 and Bird 11.2

22.  The "Package Model" section was added to contain the body of Bird 10.1

------- changes by BIRD 

PREVIOUSLY APPROVED BIRDS ADDED TO SPECIFICATION:

BIRD		SUBJECT
----		-------
2.2		Requiring VIH VIL thresholds for input devices
3.0		Multiple Power Supplies and References
4.0		ECL Extensions
5.2		reopened by Bird 5.4
6.2		Differential Pin Specification
7.2		Open Specification Completion
8.1		Specification of V/I data Monotonicity
9.2		Terminator Specification
10.1		Describing coupling effects in package models
11.2		Improving common error detection in IBIS_CHK program
12.1		Non-linear driver waveforms

BIRDS APPROVED AT THE EDITING COMMITTEE MEETING:

BIRD		SUBJECT
----		-------
5.4		Pin Mapping for Ground Bounce Simulation
13.3		Clarify some conditions of measurements
15.0		Clarification on the usage of V/I tables
14.2		Adding timing measurement parameters

BIRDS GENERATED AND NEED TO BE APPROVED:

BIRD
----
16.0		Pin Extension portion of 14.2