Subject: January Face to Face, and, calling all IC vendors

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 95 13:40:00 PST

Text item: 

Arpad,

I think 1 day will be aggressive, but will leave us energized to go out and 
conquer the world. Two days would be enough time to cover stuff in much more 
detail, but I fear everyone would go away drained.  A 1 day meeting forces us to
stay on track, which is a good thing.  It's also easier to schedule around. I 
suppose I could be persuaded otherwise, though. 

Regarding getting other IC vendors to actively participate, this mailing list 
contains people in probably a dozen IC companies, and hopefully this mail will 
entice them to comment and participate. I'm not opposed to having people 
actively solicited either.

So, here is a call to arms:  How about a show of strength from the semiconductor
manufacturers?  I would like to see your concerns, plans, issues, problems, 
questions, etc., aired and I'd like to see your participation in the January 
meeting.

Will

Will,

No, I don't mind at all, I just wasn't sure whether what I suggested was already
part of any of your items, and I did not want to make a fool of myself in the 
open public.

On the other hand, I agree with your topics.  Now, taking into consideration the
IC vendors' problems, do you think we should invite people from companies, who 
do not attend the Open Forum yet?  I mean to have companies other than National 
Semiconductor and Intel represented.  After all, tool vendors would not know 
much about IC vendors' problems, and the Open Forum consists primarily of tool 
vendors...

Of course the next question will be: is one day enough for addressing all these 
topics?

Arpad
=============================================================================== 
Arpad,

Thanks.  It is a fifth category, and should be addressed. I posted my 
question/suggestion to call attention to the fact that a whole class of issues 
never addressed by the forum, the IC vendors' test problem, needs addressing 
and could benefit from  mutual discussion.

I hope you don't mind that I posted this reply to the reflector.

>Will

>Which category would "what goes into IBIS3 and when will it happen" belong to? 
>I feel we will need some time for those topics also.

Arpad
===============================================================================

IBISians,

At our January summit, I would like to suggest an organization to the 
meeting:  we've generally mixed the presentations between model 
providers, EDA vendors, and others.  I'd like to make the divisions a 
bit more crisp, so we can pursue some common themes that various groups 
might have. I suggest we divide the meeting into the following sections:

1. Semiconductor Vendors and their plans and concerns, such as:
    - Model generation
    - Model guarantee
    - Test issues
    - ...
2. Other Model Providers (same issues) 
3. Users and their concerns
    - Obtaining models they need
    - Trusting the models
    - Getting the information in the model that is critical (what do
      they use/need the models for and when?)
    - ...
4. EDA vendors and their plans and concerns

Finally, leave room for several open session topics.

Any comments or amplifications to this?

Will Hobbs
Chair, EIA IBIS Committee
Intel Corp.

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: January Face to Face
To: [email-masked]
From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 95 16:57:00 PST

---

From: [email-masked] (Syed Huq)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 95 14:33:42 PST

Will,

Great idea about semiconductor vendor participation. Since EDA tool vendors deal
with a lot of semiconductor vendors, I think it would great if some of these
EDA guys stir up some more interest(eg..HyperLynx has done great in contacting
Xilinx..)

Hope to see more participation..
Syed.
National Semiconductor.