Subject: Minutes of Meeting Relationship DCL, DIET, IBIS and System Delay

From: [email-masked] (MR RONALD J CHRISTOPHER)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:54:44 EDT

-- [ From: Ron Christopher * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Minutes of Meeting with John Beatty from CFI/OVI Delay 8/29/95

DCL is the standard Delay Calculation Language being
proposed by CFI/OVI.

DCL may be extended to include variable length arrays and
FOR loops to support transmission analysis as requested by
CFI.  This can be done now by dropping into C.  This
extension is not in the current proposed standard but is
being looked at.  DCL is executable and thus can call ASX or
SPICE, or RICE, or AWE.

AWE out of U. Of Texas Asymptotic Wave Form Evaluation can
be called by DCL - Freeware.

DCL documents are at
cfi.org/public/Cfi/Development/Projects/Alr. DCPIs_date.

Sooner or later transmission analysis will be  needed on
chip as well as off chip.

DIET:

DIET is inadequate for cores because it depends on buffered
drivers which are not dependent on rise time.  The
dependency on rise time requires the expressive capability
of DCL.  Tables can be defined in DCL to contain everything
that is currently in DIET.

IBIS:

It appears that DCL could contain all the data is currently
in the IBIS model as well.

Negative Delays:

It appears that the VITAL support for negative delays may
only support negative delays in constraint checking. 
Negative delays have been used inside IBM in bipolar level
shifters for example.  It is not clear whether the standards
support this.

Multiple Clock Support in Abstracted Data for Higher Level
Processing:

DCL could be the proposed standard for abstracted timing
data for hierarchical delay verification.  It has the
capability to represent the results of multiple clocks in
one member.  DIET has an internal timing point concept and
could do the same.  IBIS does not seem to have this concept.

Ron Christopher