Subject: IBIS Minutes Aug 11, 1995

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 95 10:29 PDT

DATE:    August 16, 1995
 
 SUBJECT: 8/11/95 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes
 
 VOTING MEMBERS:
 AT&T Global Info Solutions     Dave Moxley
 Cadence Design                 Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
 Contec CAE, Ltd.               Dileep Divekar*
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 IBM                            Jay Diepenbrock
 INCASES                        Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier*
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Will Hobbs*, Arpad Muranyi*,
                                Derrick Duehren
 Interconnectix, Inc.           Bob Ross*
 Meta-Software                  Les Spruiell, Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, 
                                John Sliney
 Motorola                       Ron Werner
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Atul Agarwal, Cheng-Yang Kao
 NEC                            Hiroshi Matsumoto
 Quad Design                    Jon Powell*
 Quantic Labs                   Mike Ventham
 Texas Instruments              Roger Cline*, Ben Andresen*
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               Jean LeBrun
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             Stephen Lum
 VLSI Technology                Dick Ulmer, Sung Oh
 Zuken-Redac                    John Berrie
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS:
 ARPA                           Randy Harr
 Anacad                         Steffen Rochel
 Ansoft                         Henri Maramis
 Atmel Corporation              Dan Terry
 Cadlab                         Ralf Bruning
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Barry Katz
 EIA                            Patti Rusher
 High Design Technology         Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
 Hewlett Packard                Tom Langdorf, Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 Integrated Silicon Systems     Eric Bracken
 Intergraph                     Ian Dodd, David Wiens, Walter Katz
 IntuSoft                       Charles Hymowitz
 LSI Logic Corp.                Satish Pratadneni
 Mentor Graphics                Ravender Goyal, Greg Doyle
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                       
 MicroSim                       Arthur Wong
 North Carolina State U.        Steve Lipa, Michael Steer
 OptEM Engineering, Inc.        Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
 Pacific Numerix                Paul K. U. Wang
 Symmetry                       Martin Walker
 Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.    Bill Lattin
 Univ. of Illinois, Urbana      Raj Mittra* 
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu
 (Independent)                  Bob Ward

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.
 
 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as 
 follows:
      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode 
      8/25/95    (916) 356-9200   1-13824          8492193
      9/15/95    (916) 356-9200   1-16347          127231        
 
 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------
 
 INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Ben Andresen and Roger Cline joined as new Texas Representatives from an
 I/O group in Dallas and are seeking addition representation from the
 Design Automation group.

 Dr. Raj Mittra joined later from the Univerity of Illinois to participate
 in the package model discussion

 MINUTES REPORT, MISC.
 Minutes of 7/21/95 to correct repeated "command" under s2ibis 2.1.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 The cmosttl issue (Egg 6) was put on the list.

 PRESS UPDATES
 A Japanese publication Nikkei Electronics (similar to EDN) has published
 an extensive article on signal integrity including prominent mention of
 IBIS in the July 31, 1995 issue, pp. 171-184.  Will Hobbs supplied IBIS
 information for the article and is having it translated into English.

 NEW MODELS
 Arpad Muranyi updated the entire Intel model library and has supplied
 and has supplied some new models including some under "nda" to Michael
 Steer.

 EIA MEMBERSHIP AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 IBM and VLSI have officially become members and have purchased the parser.
 Tanner Research, Inc. has purchased the parser.  A treasurer's report
 was not available.

 EIA BALLOT COMMENTS (VOTES)
 To date, all ballots with comments are being addressed.  There are no
 known negative ballots.  The known comments and responses were discussed.

 The response to Interconnectix, Inc. editorial comments were approved.

 The response to the University of Manchester editorial and technical
 comments were approved.

 AR - Will Hobbs submit the approved response letters to the commentors.
 
 AR - Bob Ross roll the changes into a revised Version 2.1 Specification 
 including those of the EIA IBIS committee BIRD29.2 response.  Send this
 rolled up version with changes noted to reflector for discussion at the
 August 25 IBIS Open Forum Meeting for final ratification discussion.  Bob
 also set up the Agenda to include this topic.

 Response to Comments by Dileep Divekar of Contec submitted on the reflector
 were considered satisfactory.  These will not be submitted as formal letter
 ballot comments.

 Reminder, the Deadline for Comments to EIA-656 is August 22, 1995.

 AR - Those who have not commented, submit your comment to EIA.  A strong
 showing of support is helpful.  

 LOGO PERMISSION LETTERS
 Jon Powell needs permission letters from each company to use logos on
 placards and foils.  Not everyone has received the letter from EIA.
 Jon has received permission letters and logos from National Semiconductor,
 UniCad, and Quad Design, and has received logos only from Contec and
 Zuken-Redac.  Permission letters can be obtained from Patti Rusher at
 [email-masked] and returned to her.  Company logos should be sent to
 Jon Powell - Email and address at the end.

 ROSTER UPDATE
 Based on responses, the roster has been updated.  The roster is
 maintained on vhdl.org and continuously updated as new information
 arrives.  Periodically a request will be made for everyone to review
 their company's entry and provide update information.

 AR - Bob Ross put the updated roster on vhdl.org [DONE] and send to the
 reflector the roster.txt along with a request to review the changes
 and submit updates and corrections. [DONE]

 WEB UPDATE
 Syed Huq reported that the IBIS Web page under EIA (www.eia.org/eng) is
 expected to be operational August 18 (at the earliest).  Search links to
 "ibis" or to "EIA-656" are not in place yet.  Syed will follow up on this.

 The home page will have a hypertext link to /pub/ibis on vhdl.org to connect
 to the top level of all posted information.  Links will also be to

          - All models at the /pub/ibis/models

          - All Standards with links to ver1.0, ver1.1, ver2.0, ver2.1

          - Roster Listing

 The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) will be maintained on the Web
 and will be entered as approved.  Also, comments/problems/suggestions 
 selections will be provided.

 Jon Powell suggested links to companies' IBIS pages.  Names could be
 entered now, and company logos entered later.  This could be pursued
 later.

 FAQ VOTE

 Except for Questions 6, 7, and 17, all were approved as written or per posted
 modification. 

 The answer to Q1 was modified to read "IBIS (Input Output Buffer Information)
 is a method of providing the Input/Output device characteristics through
 V/I data without disclosing any circuit process information.  It can be
 thought of as a behavioral modeling specification suitable for transmission
 line simulation of digital systems and applicable to most digital components."

 The answer to Q2 was modified to read "...  All model files must pass the
 parser before a model can be released to vhdl.org.  ..."

 Other changes have been submitted to the reflector.  Q6 regarding SSO
 needs rewording.  Q7 regarding -VCC to 2Vcc regarding data needed
 for undershoot and overshoot needs to be resubmitted.  Ben Andresen of
 Texas Instruments raised the point that such a range is destructive to
 forward biased diodes.  Will Hobbs' Q17 regarding non-monotonic data was
 incomplete.  Jon Powell indicated that more information was required for
 the model to be simulate properly in the non-monotonic regions.

 AR - Jon Powell post a response to Q17 on the reflector - [Done].

 Further discussion on Q6, Q7, and Q17 will occur on the reflector, and
 these will be on the agenda for next meeting.  

 MODEL TRACKING
 Syed Huq reported no progress in this area.

 MODELS UNDER NDA
 NDA style models including those from National should be listed in the
 00readme file and also should exist by name with an extension such as .nda.
 Information on whom to contact should be provided.

 GOLDEN PARSER UPDATE
 Arpad Muranyi has a "final" version of the parser, although it has a
 reference to "Beta".  There is also some residual files on the disk.
 The disk is being sent to Will Hobbs for distribution.  This should
 be (hopefully) the final validation check before the executables are
 generated and posted on vhdl.org.

 AR - Arpad Muranyi check with Paul Munsey on extra files.

 AR - Will Hobbs distribute new parser files to licensees [DONE]

 S2IBIS 1.2
 A correction/enhansement release has been posted on vhdl.org as S2IBIS12.*.
 This version corrects for an incorrect extrapolation problem involving 
 the [Pullup] table.  It also adds several parameters including one which
 will allow separate "min" of slow-weak, "typ" or nominal, and "max" or
 strong-fast Spice used for these columns.

 S2IBIS 2.1
 Michael Steer reported on the s2ibis version 2.0 progress through Email.
 C. Kumar reported August 24 as the target date.  The contents would be 
 posted on vhdl.org where anyone who wants to review it can get access
 to it.  This will be a beta version, but this process will avoid attempting 
 to distribute it privately.

 COOKBOOK AND OVERVIEW UPDATE
 Bob Ross indicated that Kellee Chrisafulli and Bob received the cleansed
 document from Syed Huq of the National Semiconductor cookbook for developing
 IBIS models based on measurements.  

 AR - Syed can send Bob a Framemaker formatted version for conversion to Word.

 BIRD27 NEW KEYWORD FOR DIFFERENTIAL I/O
 This will be deferred until after the EIA IBIS ballot is completed since
 this is a Version 3.0 issue for the future. 

 AR - Bob Ross submit BIRD27.1 (after EIA IBIS ballot resolution)

 BIRD28.1 PACKAGE MODEL EXTENSION / PHYSICAL EXTENSIONS
 Steven Peters summarized the issue and indicated that actual length should be
 included for each pin.  It is up the the simulator companies to process
 this information.  Stephen still plans to submit a BIRD28.2 revision.  Arpad
 Muranyi has summitted on the reflector a summary of Raj Mittra's comments,
 and Raj Mittra from the University of Illinois, Urbana joined the discussion.
 He indicated that the Pads format seems to be favored, but it is not a
 standard.

 Raj indicated the preference for Spice style syntax by simulator vendors,
 particularly for transmission lines.  Jon Powell indicated that several 
 vendors can handle coupled transmission line segments directly.  There is a
 distinction between transmission lines that exist on well defined ground
 planes versus package and bond wire routing.  

 Raj gave these fundamental sources for package models:
 (1) Derivable from measurements (could be a bundle of pins within power/
     ground groupings
 (2) For EMI modeling tools a PEEC (partial equivalent electrical circuit)
     is used as a good approximation using smaller quivalent lumped sections.
 (3) S-parameter extraction.

 Any model should relate to the above.  These processes assume defining
 beforehand the ground/power pins and terminating the other (in-between)
 pins appropriately to extract the parameters.

 This whole issue is subject to more technical discussion in which Raj is
 invited to participate.

 AR - Stephen Peters submit BIRD28.2 and also supply Raj Mittra directly
 with any graphical information for review at [email-masked].

 AR - Bob Ross add Dr. Mittra to reflector - [Done]

 PIN PROGRAMMABLE BUFFER STRENGTHS
 Arpad Muranyi submitted BIRD30 proposing a [Multiple Model] keyword.  
 Discussion will occur on the reflector.  One quick comment was that if
 the buffers have selections from different power rails (e.g., a 3.3V
 buffer and a 5V buffer), there may be some interaction with the [Pin
 Mapping] keyword which defines the connectivity of groupings of power
 and gnd rails to various buffer models.

 TTL DRIVERS
 Egg 6 has been started from Jon Powell, but there was no time for discussion.

 NEXT MEETING:
 It is set on Friday, August 25 1995.  Final Ratification of EIA IBIS
 response to comments is expected.

 ==============================================================================
                                       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Will Hobbs (503) 264-4369, Fax (503) 264-4210
             [email-masked]
             Modeling Manager, Intel Corp.
             2111 NE 28th M/S JF1-57, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA
 
 VICE CHAIR: Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
             [email-masked]
             1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, fax (503) 639-3469
             [email-masked]
             10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223
 
 To become a voting member of the EIA IBIS Open Forum, send email to 
 [email-masked] for instructions.
 
 If you want to join the e-mail reflector ([email-masked]), send e-mail to the 
 IBIS secretary at [email-masked].
 
 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic 
 archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================