Subject: Report on talk with Raj Mittra

From: Arpad Muranyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 95 12:19:00 PDT

Hi IBIS people,

I had an AR to talk with professor Raj Mittra at the University of 
Illinois about the issues involving packaging information exchange 
formats in IBIS files.

I had three questions to ask him:

1)  What input formats do they use for their field solver software?

I could not get a specific answer to this question.  He mentioned the 
Autocad format several times as the preferred format to which they could 
link their tool easily. (This link is not available yet).  I tried to 
find out what format they are using now, but I received only a general 
answer "we take a drawing or an ASCII file".  There seems to be no 
standard yet in this area, since there are not too many package 
manufacturers on the world.

2)  What are the outputs of their field solver tools?

The tools generate full RLGC matrixes from the geometrical data.  The 
point he made is that their tool takes the whole package into 
consideration not just portions of it as some commercial simulators do 
for speed improvement.  However, in the case of MCMs, the situation is 
somewhat different.  They model MCMs with lumped circuits with mutual 
elements.

3)  Is EDIF usable to exchange geometrical description?

Answer:  "Should be explored.  We need geometry and material 
description".

In addition, I asked him if he would be available and interested in 
joining our Open Forum teleconference on Friday.  He said he would.  I 
told him that I would call him when we get to the technical discussions 
and switch him in.  This would be a good opportunity to ask him 
questions directly, if I missed a point during my converstion with him.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation