Subject: IBIS Users' Group

From: [email-masked] (Gary Peterson)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 14:30:29 MST

Just another vote for an IBIS users' group.  I'm getting ready
to seriously apply Quad SI tools to our board designs.  I was hoping
the IBIS model repository would be filled to overflowing by now.

Gary D. Peterson
Sandia National Labs

---

From: Mark=Leonard%CAE%PCPD=[email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 16:05:41 CST

Gary brings up a good point about the lack of an established
IBIS model library out on the VHDL ftp server (the exception 
being Intel, of course).  Without an IBIS champion or two from 
the user community, however, I doubt the situation will change 
very rapidly.

I think there's a couple of different approaches we can take to 
populate the model libraries.  First off, whenever we get models 
directly from a vendor we can suggest they submit their models 
to the IBIS model champion as well.  I've done this twice this 
month, though without success.  I'll try to push the issue again 
sometime soon.  Similar efforts from other companies are going 
to be required to expand the public libraries.

A second approach would be to directly share each other's 
existing libraries.  We currently have a fairly extensive signal 
integrity model library at Compaq (though only a small portion 
of it is in IBIS format).  Some of the library can't be shared for 
legal reasons, but I bet most most of the behavioral models 
could be after getting an OK from the vendor.  Unfortunately, 
this approach gets a little tricky when considering the competitive
nature of many of our companies.  I don't have a problem sharing
with non-competitive companies, but would probably have to 
consider everyone else on a case by case basis.  Until models 
are more readily available I imagine Compaq isn't the only 
company that feels this way (those of us that feel we have an 
advantage in the market aren't interested in giving it away).  I 
see the same situation among the various EDDY companies -- I 
don't see any of those companies posting their libraries in the 
public domain.

Anyway, a new IBIS user's group would be the logical step 
to start dealing with this topic.  I'll join everybody else in
saying I prefer the reflector to a news group.

Mark Leonard
Compaq Computer Corporation
[email-masked]

---

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 17:27:33 PST

Text item: 

Mark,

I appreciate your concern for Compaq's competitive advantage.  
I would like to point out, though, that the various 
participants in the IBIS Open Forum are competitors, such as 
the dozen or so EDA vendors and the multiple IC vendors.  Our 
view is that we all benefit from widespread support of IBIS, 
and if this exposes us to some short term risk in reducing our 
advantage over our competition, it is offset by increased 
ability to do our jobs in a quality way.  I feel each company 
will still have its own advantage over their competition even 
when sharing models and modeling techniques.  The gain obtained 
from being able to simulate more of our systems and offer 
robust designs to our customers partially offsets the fact that 
others are also helped by this.

Will

Mark Leonard

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Cc:
To: [email-masked]
Subject: re: IBIS Users' Group
From: Mark=Leonard%CAE%PCPD=[email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 16:05:41 CST
:55:08 -0800
Received: from hermes.intel.com by ichips.intel.com (5.64+/10.0i); Tue, 28 Feb 9
5 15:55:15 -0800
Received: from ichips.intel.com by relay.jf.intel.com with smtp
     (Smail3.1.28.1 #2) id m0rjbl8-000tweC; Tue, 28 Feb 95 15:55 PST