Subject: IBIS EIA Charter (approved 2/6/95)

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 95 11:38:02 PST

Text item: Text_1

                              IBIS EIA Charter
                              Approved 2/6/95

The IBIS Open Forum is seeking to become a committee under the Design 
Automation Division of the Electronic Information Group of EIA.

IBIS Open Forum Scope
---------------------
The IBIS EIA Open Forum develops, supports, and promotes accurate 
vendor-independent behavioral I/O buffer model specification standards.

Chairperson Designate (Interim Chair)
--------------------------------------
Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, Fax (503) 696-4210
           [email-masked]
           XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp.
           Intel Corporation
           5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA

Committee Roster
----------------
See the roster.txt document on the vhdl.org server for a complete listing.  
The following companies/universities have actively participated in the past 
6 months:  

AT&T Global Info Solutions         Intergraph*
Cadence Design Systems*            Mentor Graphics
Contec                             National Semiconductor
Digital Equipment Corp.*           North Carolina State U.
Hewlett-Packard*                   Quad Design*
HyperLynx*                         Quantic Labs*
IBM-Motorola alliance              Synopsys
INCASES*                           Texas Instruments
Integrated Silicon Systems         UniCAD Canada Ltd.
Intel Corp*                        Zeelan Technology.
Interconnectix, Inc.*

* Has purchased the 2.1 Golden Parser source code (under Open Forum rules, 
these companies vote on issues when there is not a clear consensus during a 
normal vote).

Copyright Ownership/Licenses
----------------------------
The following companies signed a form 2/6/95 to release ownership of the 2.1 
spec to the EIA:

  Intel, Texas Instruments, Interconnectix, Zeelan Technology, Cadence Design 
  Systems, National Semiconductor, UniCAD, Quad Design Technology, HyperLynx, 
  Meta-Software, Quantic Laboratories, Hewlett-Packard, Intergraph Electronics

The Golden Parser 1.1 and 2.1 source code is currently owned by Paul Munsey and 
Ron Neville.  They will release the ownership/rights of both versions to the 
EIA.

The s2ibis Spice-to-IBIS conversion utility was developed with ARPA funding to 
be put into the public domain.  EIA will not have ownership.  Anyone can create 
their own conversion utilities.

The IBIS Overview and Cookbook documents are owned by Intel.  Intel will 
release the ownership/rights to the EIA.

IBIS models can be created by anyone, member or not, without royalty fees.  
Ownership of IBIS models remains with the creator 

A licensee to the Golden Parser can use the source code within the licensee's 
product and distribute any derivative executable works without royalty payment 
to the IBIS Forum.  Licensees may not publicly divulge Golden Parser source 
code.  Appropriate acknowledgments must be included in the derivative works.

Operating Policies/Procedures
-----------------------------

MEMBERSHIP
Committee participation is free and open to any interested person who wants to 
participate in meetings and internet reflector discussions, submit BIRDs, and 
submit models to the public-domain billboard.

Membership is limited to representatives of dues-paying companies.

DUES
$500 (US dollars) dues will be collected annually in January.  Golden Parser 
source will be $500.  A membership company can license the source code for 
$250, for a total of $750.  In 1995, companies that have already paid $500 for 
the 2.1 Golden Parser will only pay $250 incremental for membership and the 
Golden Parser.

BENEFITS
Membership Companies have the right to vote on all issues.  Membership 
Companies get a 50% discount on licenses to the source code of the IBIS Golden 
Parser.

VOTING
Only persons representing Membership Companies can vote.  There is one vote per 
Membership Company.  Votes require a simple majority of those Membership 
Companies present at a meeting, with a minimum quorum of 5 Membership Companies 
represented.  BIRDs must to be distributed 14 days before they can be voted on. 
 All votes must be done by roll call of Membership Company attendees.  Votes by 
written/email proxy are allowed.

Changes to this IBIS EIA Charter requires 2/3 vote of all Membership Companies.

BIRDs
Buffer Issue Resolution Documents (BIRDs) will be used to propose and discuss 
any changes to the specification and Golden Parser.  See Appendix A for the 
specifications of a BIRD.

STRUCTURE
Position          Responsibilities
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chairperson       Oversee all forum activities, preside at all general 
                  meetings.  Finance authority.  This person must be an 
                  employee of a Membership Company.

Vice Chair        Cover for chair and secretary in their absence, coordinate 
                  all public relations (press releases, media contacts).  This 
                  person must be an employee of a Membership Company.

Secretary         Coordinate logistics of all meetings, take and publish 
                  meeting minutes within 10 days of meeting.  Work with 
                  or act as file server sysop to maintain the reflector and 
                  on-line files.  This person does not need to be an employee 
                  of a Membership Company.

Librarian         Maintain the library of public IBIS models, including 
                  verifying authenticity and compliance before posting.  This 
                  person does not need to be an employee of Membership 
                  Company.

All officers are selected annually by election of the voting membership.  
Elections occur at DAC (Design Automation Conference) each year, beginning at 
the `95 DAC conference.

The following interim officers were elected to serve until DAC `95.

Chair:       Will Hobbs, Intel Corp.
Vice-chair:  Jon Powell, Quad Design Technology
Secretary:   Derrick Duehren, Intel Corp.
Librarian:   Michael Steer, North Carolina State University

INTERNET ETIQUETTE
When possible, all correspondence, BIRDs, etc. are transmitted via the IBIS 
reflector in plain ASCII text, 80 columns max., and with no tabs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ page break ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                                APPENDIX A 

                 Buffer Issue Resolution Document (BIRD)
                    (a process for resolving issues)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIRD filename convention:

  pbirdn_n.txt   new/pending
  abirdn_n.txt   approved
  dbirdn_n.txt   dead

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issues must be well thought out and clearly documented using this template to 
be placed on the agenda of IBIS Open Forum meetings.

Instructions:
Write up your issue and submit it to the Chairperson via the internet.  The 
Chair will do a preliminary check for completeness and (potentially) send your 
BIRD back to you.  If not, the Chair  will post the issue to the IBIS 
reflector.  Each issue must be out for review 14 days before the Open Forum 
will vote on it.  During that time, you will be expected to answer questions 
related to your BIRD.  In each meeting announcement, the agenda will list those 
BIRDs that will be discussed and possibly voted on at that meeting.  BIRDs are 
accepted on a 51% vote of quorum.

NOTE:  All text in French brackets is for explanation only and should be 
       deleted.

-----------------------------   cut here   ----------------------------------
*****************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************

                      Buffer Issue Resolution Document  (BIRD)

BIRD ID#:      {don't fill in, will be filled in by the chairperson}
ISSUE TITLE:   {one line description of your issue}
REQUESTOR:     {your name and company}

DATE SUBMITTED:                       {date you sent to the chair}
DATE REVISED:                         {revision date}
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:     {status or date BIRD accepted}

*****************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

{Place a short description of your issue here.  People should be able
tell by reading this if they care about this in less than 1 minute.}

*****************************************************************************

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

{For new keywords, write the text EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD APPEAR in a
future IBIS specification.  If this is a change, state the old text
and the new text again EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD APPEAR.  Be sure to give
intended location in the specification.}

*****************************************************************************

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION:

{There are many "experts" reviewing this document.  Your reasons, analysis,
and justifications must be precise and well documented, or your BIRD will
be sent back to you.  Use this section to show that you've done your
homework, and answer all questions that will undoubtedly be asked.  If
your issue is a change instead of an enhancement, document how backward
compatibility is to be addressed.}

*****************************************************************************

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

{These documents will be archived, so use this section to carry any detail
that is not essential to the previous section, but should not be lost.}

*****************************************************************************