Subject: Re[4]: How to spawn a new newsgroup

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 10:22:30 PST

Text item: 

IBIS-folk,

I rarely read net news (~once a year), so I'm passing this info on.  I 
requested information from our network people at Intel on how to spawn a new 
newsgroup and got the following information.  Would someone like to do this 
on Internet?  I propose the group be named something like 
omp.simulation.ibis. There may be a more appropriate parent group than 
comp.simulation, but I couldn't find one in my .newsrc.  Any takers?

Will

Usually you get on news.groups and post an article such as:

Subject: CFV: Proposed group comp.blue.plastic.widgets

Call For Votes for the new comp.blue.plastic.widgets is now open.

This group would discuss....

The reasons why this topic deserves its own newsgroup is....

To register your vote, send E-mail with the word "YES" or "NO" and your 
mail address to:  [email-masked]

Then you can post articles in related newsgroups pointing people to the CFV 
in news.groups (or cross-post the CFV article) so all the right people notice 
and can discuss (in news.groups) the relative merits of the new group.

You should tally up the votes (keeping the e-mail addresses of each voter and 
how he/she voted in case you're asked).  If you get at least 100 more yes 
votes than no votes, the netiquette rules say the group can be created; 
otherwise there was not enough interest to justify the bandwidth.

--steve

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: Re: Re[2]: How to spawn a new newsgroup
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 95 17:47:39 PST

 -0800
Received: from ichips.intel.com by relay.jf.intel.com with smtp
     (Smail3.1.28.1 #2) id m0rjH2M-000twcC; Mon, 27 Feb 95 17:47 PST

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: Re[4]: How to spawn a new newsgroup
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 95 17:52:31 PST