Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 1/27/95

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 12:21:08 PST

Text item: Text_1

Date:    Feb. 2, 1995

From:    Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, fax (503) 696-4210
         [email-masked]
         XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, IBIS Open Forum
         Intel Corporation
         5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA
         and
         Derrick Duehren (503) 696-4299, fax (503) 696-4904
         [email-masked]
         Intel Program Manager

Subject: Minutes from IBIS Open Forum Meeting 1/27/95

To:
ARPA                          Randy Harr
AT&T Global Info Solutions    Dave Moxley*
Anacad                        Steffen Rochel
Ansoft                        Henri Maramis
Atmel Corporation             Dan Terry
Cadence Design                Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar
Cadlab                        Ralf Bruning
Contec                        Dileep Divkar
Digital Equipment Corp.       Barry Katz
EIA                           Patty Rusher
High Design Technology        Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
HP Palo Alto                  Tom Langdorf
HyperLynx                     Kellee Crisafulli*
IBM                           Jay Diepenbrock, Joseph Flanigan
IBM-Motorola alliance         Lynn Warriner, John Burnett
INCASES                       Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier*
Integrated Silicon Systems    Eric Bracken
Intel Corporation             Stephen Peters*, Don Telian, Will Hobbs*
                              Arpad Muranyi*, Derrick Duehren*
Interconnectix, Inc.          Bob Ross*
Intergraph                    Ian Dodd, David Wiens, Walter Katz
IntuSoft                      Charles Hymowitz
Mentor Graphics               Ravender Goyal, Greg Doyle
Meta-Software                 Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney
MicroSim                      Arthur Wong
National Semiconductor        Syed Huq
NEC                           Hiroshi Matsumoto
North Carolina State U.       Steve Lipa, Michael Steer
OptEM Engineering, Inc.       Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
PC Ware                       Paul Munsey, Ron Neville
Quad Design                   Jon Powell
Quantic Labs                  Mike Ventham
Racal-Redac                   John Berrie
Symmetry                      Martin Walker
Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.   Bill Lattin
Texas Instruments             Bob Ward
Thomson-CSF/SCTF              Jean Lebrun
UniCAD Canada Ltd.            Stephen Lum
Zeelan Technology             George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu

CC:
Intel Corporation             Randy Wilhelm, Intel IBIS team

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.

Upcoming Meetings: The room and bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences 
are listed below:
     Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #
     2/6/95     (916) 356-9999   TBD     (Face-to-face summit w/teleconference 
                                          for EIA decisions 10:00 - Noon PDT)

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM PDT (16:00 to 18:00 UTC).  We try to have 
agendas out 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days 
after.  When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by 
Will Hobbs and give the reservation number.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check-in, Intros, Announcements
There were no new participants.  

There were no corrections made to last month's minutes.

Will announced that Intel has sent linear Pentium(R) processor IBIS models to 
Michael Steer for posting to vhdl.org.

Kellee reported that Xylinx has created IBIS models for their 3000A family and 
are working on their 4000 family.  The 3000A family models are being tested by 
some "beta" customers.  They plan to release a complete model set in March.

New Agenda Items: 
BIRD 25 introduction.

Press Updates: 
The Press Release we worked on over the reflector is being released through 
Intel MarCom today.

Bob Ross reported that IBIS was mentioned in two articles:
   Jan `95 of Printed Circuit Design
   EDN, Jan 19, Sig. Integrity Tools.

Golden Parser 2.1 progress and release date
Will read a message from Paul Munsey 

We still need another pass through the latest changes before we can call it 
"2.1" (Bob Ross has more tweaks, two-point tables in waveforms/"NA" issue and 
Pin Mapping keyword accepting  NA when NC is the correct term).  We will leave 
"beta" on it for now.

Package model support in the parser has not yet been fully validated.

AR Bob R -- Send out the test matrix with updates.

AR Will -- Communicate the Beta status to Paul.

AR Will -- Ask Paul to run the vhdl.org models through the parser before 
release.  [Update: The 4th, and hopefully final, beta version was mailed out on 
2/1/95.] 

Status of EIA affiliation
Patti Rusher, of the EIA/Electronic Information Group of EIA, joined us for a 
discussion of Derrick's affiliation proposals.  Many items are to be discussed 
and voted on at the 2/6/95 summit meeting (such as scope, dues structure, 
copyrights, etc.).  Refer to the 2nd draft proposal posted 1/27/95 for details.

AR Derrick -- Send IBIS roster.txt to Patti. [DONE]

1.1 Spec will remain in public domain.  After discussing the merits of putting  
the 2.1 Spec in the public domain, we decided to turn over the copyright to 
EIA.  It can still be on reflector.

AR Patti -- Send boilerplate licensing documents to Will.

AR Will -- Ask Ron/Paul to assign Golden Parser rights to EIA. [Update: DONE.  
Waiting for boilerplate copyright assignment text from Intel Legal.]

AR Will/Derrick -- Find out what we need to do to release Intel copyright on 
the Overview, Cookbook, and EDN article documents. [Update: Work in progress.]

AR Patti -- Send letter to roster.txt announcing EIA formation, dues, 
membership request.

We decided to have one company, one vote.  Subsidiaries cannot vote separately.

AR Will -- Communicate to Patti decisions on fees and grandfatherhood made at 
the summit meeting before 2/10 (Patti has executive committee meeting on 2/10).

Meeting minutes will remain the responsibility of the Forum (secretary's duty). 
 The EIA will handle all Press Releases.  A treasurer is not needed.  EIA will 
provide accounting services.  Meeting minutes will go through EIA legal before 
distribution.

Patti will soon be on the Internet as [email-masked].

We will hold EIA-IBIS officer elections on 2/6, with the new officers taking 
over later (TBD, e.g., after the grandfather issues are resolved).

IBIS General Session/Summit (face-to-face)

AR Will -- Ask Tim Schryer to scrub his ringback paper and bring copies to the 
summit. [Update: DONE.  Tim has been ill all week and probably will not attend. 
 He may present by phone, however.]

AR Summit Speakers -- Send titles, timing to Derrick.

AR Derrick -- Set up 10:00 am phone bridge for EIA discussion.

BIRD 25 introduction.
Bob introduced BIRD 25.  It clarifies the test conditions discussion.  C_comp 
change may be controversial, as min for everything else implies slow, where for 
C_comp, min values are associated with fast corners.

Wrap-up, Next Meeting Plans
Our next meetings are the summit meeting 2/6/95 in Santa Clara and a normal 
teleconference 2/24/95. 

==============================================================================
                                      NOTES
If you know of someone new who wants to join the e-mail reflector 
([email-masked]), send e-mail to [email-masked].

Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic 
archive server, [email-masked].
==============================================================================