Subject: IBIS EIA Proposal, 2nd Draft

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 20:02:01 PST

Text item: Text_1

*******************************************************************************
NOTE: Open issues will be discussed at 10:00 am at the 2/6/95 summit meeting in 
Santa Clara.  We will have a bridge phone line available to those who cannot 
attend in person.  The revised agenda, which I will post early next week, will 
list the number to call.        - Derrick Duehren
*******************************************************************************

                             IBIS EIA Proposal
                             2nd Draft 1/27/95

The IBIS Open Forum is seeking to become a committee under the Design 
Automation Division of the Electronic Information Group of EIA.

IBIS Open Forum Scope
---------------------
[TBD at 2/6/95 meeting] 
Proposed: "Develop, support, and promote semiconductor behavioral I/O buffer 
model specification standards."

Chairperson Designate
---------------------
Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, Fax (503) 696-4210
   [email-masked]
   XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp.
   Intel Corporation
   5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA

Committee Roster
----------------
See roster.txt document for a complete listing.  The following 
companies/universities have actively participated in the past 6 months:  

AT&T Global Info Solutions        Intergraph
Cadence Design Systems*            Mentor Graphics
Contec                             National Semiconductor
Digital Equipment Corp.*           North Carolina State U.
Hewlwtt-Packard*                   Quad Design*
HyperLynx*                         Quantic Labs*
IBM-Motorola alliance              Synopsys
INCASES*                           Texas Instruments
Integrated Silicon Systems         UniCAD Canada Ltd.
Intel Corp*                        Zeelan Technology.
Interconnectix, Inc.*

* Has purchased the 2.1 Golden Parser source code (under Open Forum rules, 
these companies vote on issues when there is not a clear consensus during a 
normal vote).

Copyright Ownership
-------------------
The voting quorum present at the 2/6/95 summit meeting will sign a release form 
for the 1.1 and 2.1 specs.

The Golden Parser 1.1 and 2.1 source code is currently owned by Paul Munsey and 
Ron Neville.  Will will ask them to release the ownership/rights of both 
versions to the EIA.

The s2ibis 2.1 utility was developed with ARPA funding to be put into the 
public domain.  EIA will not have ownership.

The IBIS Overview and Cookbook documents are owned by Intel.  Derrick will find 
out how to turn them over to EIA ownership.

Operating Policies/Procedures
-----------------------------

MEMBERSHIP
Committee participation is free and open to any interested person who wants to 
participate in meetings and internet reflector discussions, submit BIRDs, and 
submit models to the public-domain billboard.

Membership is limited to representatives of dues-paying companies.  Members 
must participate in 51% of meetings.  If they loose their voting privileges 
(this is required to ensure a voting quorum).

VOTING
Only persons representing Membership companies can vote.  There is one vote per 
company.  A simple majority is required of a quorum of 51% of the vote-eligible 
membership.

DUES
$_TBD_ dues will be collected annually.  [We also need to decide on any 
grandfathering.]

BENEFITS
Membership companies get a free license to the source code of the IBIS Golden 
Parser.  [TBD at 2/6/95 meeting].

BIRDs
Buffer Issue Resolution Documents (BIRDs) will be used to propose and discuss 
any changes to the specification and Golden Parser.  See Appendix A for the 
specifications of a BIRD.

STRUCTURE
Position          Responsibilities
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chairperson       Oversee all forum activities, preside at all general 
                  meetings.  Finance authority.

Vice Chair        Cover for chair in chair's absence, coordinate all public 
                  relations (press releases, media contacts)

Secretary         Coordinate logistics of all meetings, take and publish 
                  meeting minutes within 10 days of meeting.  Work with 
                  file server sysop to maintain the reflector and on-line 
                  files.

Librarian         Maintain the library of public IBIS models, including 
                  verifying authenticity and compliance before posting.  This 
position does not need to be a voting member.

All officers are selected annually by election of the voting membership.  First 
election 2/6/95, effective [TBD 2/6/95].

INTERNET ETIQUETTE
When possible, all correspondence, BIRDs, etc. are transmitted via the 
reflector in plain ASCII text, 80 columns max., and with no tabs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ page break ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                                APPENDIX A 

                 Buffer Issue Resolution Document (BIRD)
                    (a process for resolving issues)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIRD filename convention:

  pbirdn_n.txt   new/pending
  abirdn_n.txt   approved
  dbirdn_n.txt   dead

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issues must be well thought out and clearly documented using this template to 
be placed on the agenda of IBIS Open Forum meetings.

Instructions:
Write up your issue and submit it to the Chairperson via the internet.  The 
Chair will do a preliminary check for completeness and (potentially) send your 
BIRD back to you.  If not, the Chair  will post the issue to the IBIS 
reflector.  Typically, each issue must be out for review for two weeks before 
the Open Forum will vote on it.  During that time, you will be expected to 
answer questions related to your BIRD.  In each meeting announcement, the 
agenda will list those BIRDs that will be discussed and possibly voted on at 
that meeting.  BIRDs are accepted on a ____% vote of the voting membership.

NOTE:  All text in French brackets is for explanation only and should be 
       deleted.

-----------------------------   cut here   ----------------------------------
*****************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************

                      Buffer Issue Resolution Document  (BIRD)

BIRD ID#:      {don't fill in, will be filled in by the chairperson}
ISSUE TITLE:   {one line description of your issue}
REQUESTOR:     {your name and company}

DATE SUBMITTED:                       {date you sent to the chair}
DATE REVISED:                         {revision date}
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:     {status or date BIRD accepted}

*****************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

{Place a short description of your issue here.  People should be able
tell by reading this if they care about this in less than 1 minute.}

*****************************************************************************

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

{For new keywords, write the text EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD APPEAR in a
future IBIS specification.  If this is a change, state the old text
and the new text again EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD APPEAR.  Be sure to give
intended location in the specification.}

*****************************************************************************

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION:

{There are many "experts" reviewing this document.  Your reasons, analysis,
and justifications must be precise and well documented, or your BIRD will
be sent back to you.  Use this section to show that you've done your
homework, and answer all questions that will undoubtedly be asked.  If
your issue is a change instead of an enhancement, document how backward
compatibility is to be addressed.}

*****************************************************************************

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

{These documents will be archived, so use this section to carry any detail
that is not essential to the previous section, but should not be lost.}

*****************************************************************************