Subject: Re Press Release Draft, From Kellee Crisafulli

From: Kellee Crisafulli <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Jan 95 01:18:27 EST

I have just read the draft release of the press release and it looks good.

I believe it could be improved with a statement to the effect that it is fully
backward compatible with version 1.1.

It seems to me that we should present IBIS as a specification which fully
maintains backward compatibility.  We may scare some potential IBIS users
away if they believe they are chasing a moving "standard".

Also the full version with the roster attached came out as garbage ASCII characters.
Is it encoded or something?  I have never had trouble receiving mail before, so I
am wondering if anyone else got garbage.

				Kellee Crisafulli
				HyperLynx

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Ventham)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 95 8:25:45 CST

> away if they believe they are chasing a moving "standard".
I agree.

> am wondering if anyone else got garbage.

Derrick used uuencode to encode this message. This is a UNIX utility that
take files with characters that screw up the mail system - usually
binary files or compressed text files and makes them mailable.
The limits are denoted by the 'begin nnn <filename>' and 'end' lines.
Normally to decode this sort of message you pipe it to a program
called uudecode.
I believe that there are PC versions of this available but I am uncertain
where.

To save you time I have enclosed the decoded list below. Actually in this
case it was unnecessary to encode it as the file was text only and the
encoded size was bigger.

> 				HyperLynx
Regards

Mike Ventham

P.S. 
Will and Derrick,
You included my suggested changes except for the first one. I thought
that integrity models should be proceeded by signal - indicated by
the #signal# below.

M.V.
-- 
+======================================================================+
| Mike Ventham - Vice President Engineering, Quantic Laboratories Inc, |
| 12th Floor, 191 Lombard Ave, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3B 0X1      |
| Tel: (204) 942 4000 Fax: (204) 957 1158 Email: [email-masked] |
+======================================================================+
i-----------------CUT HERE ---------------------------------------------

For more information contact:                           For Immediate Release 
IBIS Open Forum
Will Hobbs, (503) 696-4369 (number not to be published)
Jon Powell, (805) 988-8250
 
                            IBIS Press Release
                              DRAFT 1/6/95
 
Rev 2.1 of IBIS Signal Integrity Model Specification Announced IBIS Standard 
that Supports Early, Accurate Models for Signal Integrity Simulations of 
High-speed Digital Systems Now Supports More Functions
 
HILLSBORO, Ore.  _ December 9, 1994 _ A group of Electronic Design Automation 
(EDA) and semiconductor companies today announced the ratification and 
acceptance of Revision 2.1 of the I/O Buffer Information Specification (IBIS) 
standard for #signal# integrity models.  This release is an upgrade to the rev 1.1 
specification released last year (Press Release dated Oct.  12, 1993).  This 
improved and refined standard adds support for ECL, dual-supply buffers, 
ground bounce due to shared power rails, differential I/O, termination 
components, controlled rise-time buffers, much more complete package 
descriptions, improved open-side device modeling (open drain, etc.) and 
reference waveforms.  These enhancements are a result of more EDA companies 
supporting the IBIS specification and feedback of those using rev 1.1 models.
 
The IBIS Open Forum has created a version 2.1 of the "golden parser" that checks
model syntax for comformance to the specification.  It is currently being Beta 
tested.  When completed, the parser will be made freely available in object code
format
 
IBIS is a consistent software parsable format that semiconductor vendors can 
use to specify the analog characteristics of input and output buffers.  This 
essential information is readily transformed into accurate models by end users 
and simulation tool vendors.  The resulting behavioral models enable users to 
perform high-speed, accurate signal-integrity simulations of their digital 
system interconnects.
 
The IBIS Version 2.1 specification was developed through the cooperative efforts
of simulator vendors and semiconductor companies who together comprise the IBIS 
Open Forum (see the attached roster).
 
For More Information
 
For more information about the IBIS Open Forum, send an e-mail request to 
[email-masked].  All of the documents and publicly available models are 
currently accessible via the public repository of VHDL International's 
Internet based machine (vhdl.org, 198.31.14.3, http://vhdl.org/).  WWW, 
Gopher, FTP and Telnet "Anonymous", and "guest" dial-in access, (415) 
335-0110, are all available.

IBIS Open Forum
Contact List (roster below)

============================================================================
                   IBIS Open Forum Participation Roster
                    As of 1/5/95 (updated periodically)

                 33 total company/organizations listed
                      Submit changes/updates to:
                   [email-masked]
                  (503) 696-4299, Fax (503) 696-4904
============================================================================
NOTE: This roster lists companies and organizations that have participated 
in defining the IBIS specification.  Other than the specific statements of 
support under each organizationFs name, no support nor endorsement of the 
specification is implied.
============================================================================

Anacad
  Contact:  Steffen Rochel
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    +49 (731) 9545414, FAX: +49 (731) 9545450
  Address:  Helmholtzstr.20 
            89081 Ulm 
            Germany
  Support:  Anacad can translate IBIS descriptions into models using their
            analog behavioral modeling language HDL-A.  Together with Eldo
            and a VHDL simulator, highly accurate investigations of mixed
            signal designs are then possible.
  Tag-line: 

Ansoft Corporation
  Contact:  Henri Maramis
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (412) 261-3200, Fax: (412) 471-9427
  Address:  4 Station Square, Suite 660 
            Pittsburgh, PA. 15219
  Support:  The Ansoft Maxwell SI product will support IBIS models/library 
            in native format.
  Tag-line: Ansoft is a dedicated provider of electromagnetic field 
            simulation software and integrated solutions for signal 
            integrity and EMC/EMI.

Atmel Corporation
  Contact:  Dan Terry
  Email:    No internet address -- Pls Fax notices
  Phone:    (408) 436-4346, Fax: (408) 436-4200
  Address:  
            
  Support:  
  Tag-line: 
  
Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
  Contact:  C. Kumar
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (508) 262-6488, Fax: 508-262-6600 
  Address:  270 Billerica Rd,
            Chelmsford,  MA 01824
  Support:  Cadence fully supports IBIS models.  Cadence's DF/SigNoise
            product family offers a vendor-specific, IBIS compatible signal 
            integrity library of over 7000 components.  Cadence also 
            provides a translator program enabling the conversion of IBIS 
            1.1 and 2.1 files to Cadence library format.
  Tag-line: Cadence, the worldwide leader in electronic design automation,
            combines leading-edge technology and a complementary set of
            services to accelerate and advance the overall performance 
            engineering of high-speed electronic systems.

Contec Microelectronics USA, Inc.
  Contact:  Dileep Divekar, Clark Cochran
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (408) 434-6767, Fax: (408) 434-6884 
  Address:  2188 Bering Drive
            San Jose, CA 95131
  Support:  A Contec product will support IBIS models in native mode.  
  Tag-line: 

Digital Equipment Corp.
  Contact:  Barry Katz
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (508) 493-5083, Fax: (508) 493-4461 
  Address:  129 Parker Street, PK03-1/R11
            Maynard, MA 01754
  Support:  Digital will generate IBIS models for its own chip products, 
            including the line of ALPHA AXP microprocessors, as needed, and 
            support IBIS models in in-house simulation tools.
  Tag-line: Digital, maker of the world's fastest microprocessor, is also a 
            leading developer of computer systems, and networking and 
            communication products, including PCI.

Hewlett-Packard/HP EEsof Division
  Contact:  Karl Kachigan
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (707) 577-3949,  Fax: (707) 577-5260 
  Address:  1400 Fountaingrove Parkway
            Santa Rosa, CA 94503
  Support:  None at this time
  Tag-line: HP EEsof is a leading supplier of high frequency analog
            (RF/Microwave) design and modeling tools.

High Design Technology
  Contact:  Michael Smith
  Email:    
  Phone:    011-39-11-33-84-34, Fax:  011-39-11-385-99-67
  Address:  
            
  Support:  
  Tag-line: 
  
HyperLynx
  Contact:  Kellee Crisafulli
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (206) 869-2320, Fax: (206) 881-1008
  Address:  P.O. Box 3578
            Redmond, WA 98073-3578
  Support:  Several signal integrity analysis tools are available:
            LineSim:  A simulator using schematic data input, reads
                      IBIS files as part of its native library support. 
                      Ships with a set of IBIS libraries.

            BoardSim: A simulator using PCB geometry data input from
                      numerous PCB layout packages, also natively supports 
                      IBIS files.  Ships with a set of IBIS libraries.

                      Additional model libraries are available free of 
                      charge to customers on HyperLynx's BBS.
  Tag line: HyperLynx, Inc. is the industry's leading supplier of 
            affordable, accurate, PC-based signal-integrity software.

IBM Corporation (PowerPC)
  Contact:  Lynn Warriner
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    512-795-7234
  Address:  Somerset Design Center
            9737 Great Hills Trail
            Austin, Texas 78759
  Support:  IBM will provide IBIS models for the PowerPC product family. 
            Initially these models will be based upon design data.  As 
            hardware data is obtained these models will be upgraded.  
            Verification of these models will be accomplished in-house using 
            industry standard tools.
  Tag-line:

INCASES
  Contact:  Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier
  Email:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
  Phone:    ++49-5251-284-155, ++49-5251-284-222, Fax: ++49-5251-284-105 
  Address:  INCASES Engineering GmbH
            Vattmannstrasse 3
            D-33100 Paderborn, Germany
  Support:  INCASES uses the simulation program FREACS (Fast REflection And
            Crosstalk Simulator) for signal integrity analysis within the 
            EMC-Workbench.  INCASES can read IBIS Version 1.1 files and 
            translate the IBIS models into FREACS models.  INCASES uses an 
            IBIS parser and an automatic process for the parametrization of 
            the FREACS macromodels.

            Additionally, so called 'reference lists' are set-up that are 
            used by the interface (XLIN) between the EMC-Workbench and the 
            FREACS macromodel library.  These reference lists consist of 
            circuit informations in a special language named HINAC 
            (Hierachical Naming Convention), where macromodel data is 
            assigned to pins of a component using IBIS-informations, as 
            well.

            In this way a controlled set-up of a library is possible using 
            IBIS-files as basis.

            Detailed information is available on request.

  Tag-line: INCASES Engineering, GmbH, Germany, founded on November 1, 1994,
            is a supplier of design automation software and consulting 
            services to the electronic design automation (EDA) market, 
            focusing on EMC and 'Design for  Manufacturability'.  INCASES 
            develops, sells, and supports two major product lines: THEDA, 
            acquired from Computervision Corporation and EMC-Workbench, 
            acquired from Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG.

Integrity Engineering, Inc.
  Contact:  Greg Doyle
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (612) 636-6913, Fax: (612) 631-2241
  Address:  1306 W. Country Rd. F, Suite 100
            St. Paul, MN 55112
  Support:  The Integrity Simulators and Parasitic Extractor tools, SImnet, 
            SImnet X, and Autospice are shipped with an IBIS2IEI translation 
            program that enables any IBIS file to be directly converted for 
            use with the simulator or SPICE extractor.

            The next revisions of IEI programs, slated for delivery 2Q '94, 
            will support IBIS models in native mode.  A utility will be 
            provided to read, edit, and view IBIS files directly.
  Tag-line: 

Intel Corporation
  Contact:  Will Hobbs
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (503) 696-4369, Fax: (503) 696-4210
  Address:  5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, JF1-57
            Hillsboro, OR 97124
  Support:  Intel provides IBIS models for some of its components.  For a 
            list of supported components, send the following message to 
            [email-masked]:
            path <your return email path>
            send pub/ibis/models/intel readme   index /pub/ibis/models/intel
  Tag-line: Intel, the world's largest chip maker, is also a leading 
            manufacturer of personal computer networking and communications
            products.

Interconnectix, Inc.
  Contact:  Bob Ross
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (503) 684-6641, Fax: (503) 639-3469
  Address:  10220 S.W. Nimbus Ave., K4
            Portland, Oregon 97223
  Support:  The Interconnect Synthesis (IS) product supports the major 
            extensions of IBIS Version 2.1.  Interface extensions for 
            component and model selection and termination generation
            allow IBIS formatted data to be used in "what if" 
            investigations and automatic synthesis operations.
  Tag-line: The leading Interconnect Synthesis Company

Intergraph Corp.
  Contact:  Rob Kelley
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (205) 730-8978
  Address:  One Madison Industrial Park
            Huntsville, AL  35894-0001
  Support:  Intergraph Electronics fully supports the activities of the IBIS 
            open forum and as such, is ensuring that all signal integrity 
            development is aligned so that our customers will be able to 
            take advantage of IBIS as the standard stabilizes. 
  Tag-line: Intergraph Corporation, a Fortune 500 company, is the world's 
            largest independent NT development site and the world's largest 
            company dedicated to supplying interactive computer graphics 
            systems.

Integrated Silicon Systems, Inc.
  Contact:  Eric Bracken
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (412) 832-9627
  Address:  One Northgate Square
            Greensburg, PA 15601-1341
  Support:  PSIBoards accepts IBIS model files directly.  The IBIS files can
            contain any number of models or components.  Instances of these 
            models can be declared in the program's input deck, along with 
            interconnections, to describe a complete design.
  Tag-line: Integrated Silicon Systems, Inc. is a leading supplier of
            hierarchical layout verification products.

IntuSoft
  Contact:  Charles Hymowitz
  Email:    
  Phone:    (303) 833-0710
  Address:  
            
  Support:  IntuSoft takes a customer's netlist or model and translates it 
            into a Spice model, free of charge.  IntuSoft has the Golden 
            Parser source but hasn't, as of yet, automated the process.  
            IntuSoft is waiting until there are more IBIS models available.
  Tag-line: 

Mentor Graphics Corp.
  Contact:  Greg Seltzer
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (503) 685-1198, Fax: (503) 685-7991
  Address:  8005 SW Boeckman Rd.
            Wilsonville, OR 97070-7777
  Support:  Mentor supports IBIS by using Quad Design and Intel IBIS models.
  Tag-line: 

Meta-Software
  Contact:  John Sliney,      Mei Wong
  Email:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
  Phone:    (408) 369-5446, Fax: (408) 371-5100
  Address:  1300 White Oaks Rd.
            Campbell, CA 95008
  Support:  
  Tag-line: 

MicroSim Corp.
  Contact:  Arthur Wong
  Email:    
  Phone:    (714) 770-3022, FAX: (714) 455-0554
  Address:  20 Fairbanks
            Irvine, CA 92718
  Support:  MicroSim can automatically generate PSpice models for vendors 
            who provide data in a file format conforming to the IBIS Ver 1.1
            specification.  The models can then be simulated with PSpice.
            MicroSim has made IBIS models for Intel's Pentium processor 
            82430 PCIset available to customers.
  Tag-line: MicroSim Corp. - The Desktop EDA Company - provides technically 
            sophisticated software for schematic entry, simulation, 
            programmable logic synthesis, and signal integrity analysis.

National Semiconductor Corp.
  Contact:  Syed B.Huq
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (408) 721-4874, Fax:(408)721-4785 
  Address:  2900 Semiconductor Drive, M/S E-200
            Santa Clara, CA 95052
  Support:  The Advanced Systems & Interface Product Group(ASIP) of National
            Semiconductor is willing to create IBIS model files and provide
            IBIS model support to customers.
  Tag-line: National Semiconductor provides technologies for moving and
            shaping information.  The company focuses on communications, 
            analog, and personal systems markets, and is the fourth largest 
            U.S semiconductor merchant.

NEC Corporation
Contact:  Hiroshi Matsumoto
Email:    [email-masked]
Phone:    +81 -44-435-1501(DIR), Fax: +81 -44-435-1887 
Address:  Design Sys. Dept., System ASIC Div., NEC Corp.
          1753 Shimonumabe, Nakahara-ku
          Kawasaki Japan 211
Support:  NEC is willing to write some IBIS models and a model generator
          for some of its LSI components.
Tag-line:

North Carolina State University
  Contact:  Michael Steer, Paul Franzon,   Steve Lipa
  Email:    [email-masked]   [email-masked]  [email-masked] 
  Phone:    919-515-5191   919-515-7351    919-515-3947  
            FAX for all three: 919-515-5523
  Address:  ECE Dept. Box 7911 
            NC State Univ. 
            Raleigh, NC  27695-7911 
  Support:  (as of 2/94) A Spice to IBIS converter is being developed.  A 
            measurement based procedure is being developed for extracting 
            IBIS models.  A yacc/lex parser for IBIS models is being 
            develped.  All software and techniques will be put in the public 
            domain.
  Tag-line: 

Quad Design Technology, Inc.
  Contact:  Jon Powell
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
  Address:  1385 Del Norte Rd.
            Camarillo, CA 93010
  Support:  Quad Design has a translation program that translates from IBIS
            format to Quad Design .mod format.  This translator uses the 
            Golden Parser code with enhancements to warn of malformed (yet 
            legal) models.  The translator supports user input to be able to 
            select from the min-typ-max range of IBIS data.  This program 
            (IBIS2XTK) is available now and is distributed with XTK 
            Crosstalk and transmission line simulation tool kit.
  Tag-line: Quad Desgin is a leading supplier of Signal Integrity and Timing 
            tools for high speed digital designs.

Quantic Laboratories, Inc.
  Contact:  Mike Ventham
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (204) 942-4000, Fax: (204) 957-1158 
  Address:  12th Floor, 191 Lombard Ave
            Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 0X1
            Canada
  Support:  Quantic provides an IBIS reader (based on the Golden
            Parser) that will read IBIS models and automatically generate 
            data files for Phidias (our graphical VI curve device modellor) 
            and database files that associate the component definitions with 
            the pin models.

            From Phidias, both SPICE models for PCB Greenfield (our pre
            and post layout transmission line simulator) and models for
            BoardScan, (our PC board screener for signal integrity and 
            crosstalk problems) can be created.

            This is available now for Quantic customers.
  Tag-line: Quantic Laboratories Ltd has been the leading supplier of
            field solvers and signal integrity tools since 1983. This 
            expertise has now been extended to Electromagnetic Compatibility 
            (EMC) tools.

Symmetry Design Systems, Inc.
  Contact:  Andy Hughes
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (415) 949-9600, Fax: (415)-949-0831
  Address:  477 S. San Antonio Rd. #200
            Los Altos, Ca. 94022

  Support:  Symmetry provides IBIS modeling tools and services. Symmetry's 
            modeling tool MODPEX can create IBIS models based on measured 
            device characteristics or data sheet information. MODPEX can 
            translate IBIS models to SPICE descriptions for testing and 
            documentation or translate SPICE models to IBIS.

  Tag-line: Symmetry is a dedicated supplier of tools and services for 
            creating, testing, and documenting SPICE and IBIS component 
            models for electronic system design.

Synopsys Inc. (Logic Modeling Group)
  Contact:  Bill Lattin
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (503) 690-6900, Fax (503) 690-6906
  Address:  19500 NW Gibbs Dr.
            Beaverton, OR 97075
  Support:  None at this time
  Tag-line: 

Texas Instruments
  Contact:  Bob Ward
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (713) 274-4146, Fax (713) 274-3911
  Address:  P.O. Box 1443, M/S 631
            Houston, TX 77251
  Support:  TI has a three-pronged attack on IBIS support.  TI is working on 
            a scheme to automatically generate IBIS models from TI Spice 
            simulations (TI's proprietary Spice dialect), on an automatic 
            means to generate C code to be linked in to TI Spice as a User 
            Defined Element from an IBIS model, and an automatic means to 
            create the Spice equivalent of the IBIS model from the IBIS 
            model specification.

            The latter method differs from the second in that it uses 
            skeletonized Spice primitive elements in the form of a 
            subcircuit, while the second actually generates C code and 
            compiles it for dynamic linking.
  Tag-line: 

Thomson-CSF/SCTF
  Contact:  Jean Lebrun
  Email:    
  Phone:    
  Address:  
            
  Support:  
  Tag-line: 

UniCAD Canada Ltd.
  Contact:  Stephen Lum
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (613) 596-9091 Ext. 321
  Address:  2745 Iris Street
            Pinecrest Office Park
            Ottawa, Ontario K2C 3V5
  Support:  UniSolve, a concurrent engineering workbench currently
            supports IBIS v1.1 model files in native mode for signal 
            integrity analysis.  Support for IBIS v2.1 is planned for early 
            1995.
  Tag-line: UniCAD, INC. provides software used in the layout and
            analysis of printed circuits and multichip modules.  It provides 
            the only available concurrent Computer Aided Analysis (CAA) 
            environment used to simultaneously monitor Emissions, Digital 
            Signal Integrity, Analog Signal Integrity, Thermal, and 
            Reliability throughout the design layout process.

Zeelan Technology, Inc.
  Contact:  Hiro Moriyasu, George Opsahl
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    (503) 520-1000
  Address:  10550 SW Allen Blvd.
            Beaverton, OR 97005
  Support:  Zeelan Tech. provides a modeling service that characterize and 
            creates models conforming to the IBIS format.  Zeelan Tech. 
            MasterModel(TM) models are created from measurements of physical 
            devices using a tightly controlled high-frequency fixture and 
            modeling system.  These models closely represent actual device 
            behaviour when used in simulation.
  Tag-line: 

Zuken-Redac
  Contact:  John Berrie
  Email:    [email-masked]
  Phone:    +44 684 294161, Fax: +44 684 299754
  Address:  Tewkesbury
            Gloucestershire GL20 8QL,
            England
  Support:  Work is in progress to enable use of IBIS models in native 
            format for Redac High-Performance Engineering and EMC Adviser 
            products.  In addition, integration with Quad Design and Quantic 
            products provides the stated level of support provided by these 
            companies.
  Tag-line: Racal-Redac is a world leader in design automation, providing 
            open, leading technology, standards-based CADCAM solutions.