Subject: IBIS EIA Proposals for 1/27 Discussion

From: Derrick Duehren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 09:54:02 PST

Text item: Text_1

IBISians,
Here is fodder for our EIA discussion Friday.
- Derrick
*******************************************************************************

                       IBIS EIA Proposals for Discussion
                                   1/25/95
                               Derrick Duehren

The IBIS Open Forum is seeking to become a committee under the Design 
Automation Division of the Electronic Information Group of EIA.

IBIS Open Forum Scope
---------------------
Develop, support, and promote semiconductor I/O buffer specification standards.

Chairperson Designate
---------------------
Will Hobbs (503) 696-4369, Fax (503) 696-4210
           [email-masked]
           XTG Modeling Manager, Intel Corp.
           Intel Corporation
           5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA

Committee Roster
----------------
See roster.txt document.  The following companies/universities have actively 
participated in the past 6 months:  

AT&T Global Info Systems*          Interconnectix, Inc.*
Cadence Design Systems*            Intergraph
Contec                             Mentor Graphics
Digital Equipment Corp.*           National Semiconductor
Hewlwtt-Packard*                   North Carolina State U.
HyperLynx*                         Quad Design*
IBM-Motorola alliance              Quantic Labs*
INCASES                            Texas Instruments
Integrated Silicon Systems         UniCAD Canada Ltd.
Intel Corp*                        Zeelan Technology.

* Has purchased the 2.1 Golden Parser source code (under Open Forum rules, 
these companies vote on issues when there is not a clear consensus during a 
normal vote)  [[Will, I am missing one.]]

Copyright Ownership
-------------------
Derrick proposes that the voting quorum present at the 2/6/95 summit meeting 
sign the release forms [[Patty Rusher to provide the forms?]].  Potential 
Copyrights to release:
o IBIS 1.1 Spec
o IBIS 2.1 Spec
o Golden Parser 1.1 and 2.1 source code
o s2ibis 2.1 utility
o IBIS Overview document
o IBIS Cookbook document

Operating Policies/Procedures
-----------------------------

MEMBERSHIP
There will be two classes of membership: Regular and Executive.

Regular Membership is free and open to any interested person who wants to 
participate in meetings and internet reflector discussions.  

Executive Membership is open to any company that pays an annual membership fee 
($500, $1,000. $1,500?).

VOTING RIGHTS
Only persons representing Executive Membership companies can vote.  There is 
one vote per company.  [[what about subsidiaries?]]

BENEFITS
Executive Membership companies get a free license to the source code of the 
IBIS Golden Parser.

Any member can participate fully in discussions (save voting), and can submit 
BIRDs.

BIRDs
Buffer Issue Resolution Documents (BIRDs) will be used to propose and discuss 
any changes to the specification and Golden Parser.  BIRDs are accepted on a 
____% vote of the voting membership.  See Appendix A for the specifications of 
a BIRD.

STRUCTURE
Position          Responsibilities
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chairperson       Oversee all forum activities, preside at all general 
                  meetings.  Signature authority.

Vice Chair        Cover for chair in chair's absence, coordinate all public 
                  relations (press releases, media contacts)

Secretary         Coordinate logistics of all meetings, take and publish 
                  meeting minutes within 10 days of meeting, maintain 
                  participation roster.  Work with file server sysop to 
                  maintain the reflector and stored files.

Treasurer         Maintain/manage the group's finances.  Signature authority.

Librarian         Maintain the library of public IBIS models, including 
                  verifying authenticity and compliance before posting.

All officers are selected annually by election of the voting membership.

INTERNET ETIQUETTE
When possible, all correspondence, BIRDs, etc. are transmitted via the 
reflector in plain ASCII text, 80 columns max., and with no tabs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ page break ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                                APPENDIX A 

                 Buffer Issue Resolution Document (BIRD)
                    (a process for resolving issues)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIRD filename convention:

  pbirdn_n.txt   new/pending
  abirdn_n.txt   approved
  dbirdn_n.txt   dead

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issues must be well thought out and clearly documented using this template to 
be placed on the agenda of IBIS Open Forum meetings.

Instructions:
Write up your issue and submit it to the Chairperson via the internet.  The 
Chair will do a preliminary check for completeness and (potentially) send your 
BIRD back to you.  If not, the Chair  will post the issue to the IBIS 
reflector.  Typically, each issue must be out for review for two weeks before 
the Open Forum will vote on it.  During that time, you will be expected to 
answer questions related to your BIRD.  In each meeting announcement, the 
agenda will list those BIRDs that will be discussed and possibly voted on at 
that meeting.  BIRDs are accepted on a ____% vote of the voting membership.

NOTE:  All text in French brackets is for explanation only and should be 
       deleted.

-----------------------------   cut here   ----------------------------------
*****************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************

                      Buffer Issue Resolution Document  (BIRD)

BIRD ID#:      {don't fill in, will be filled in by the chairperson}
ISSUE TITLE:   {one line description of your issue}
REQUESTOR:     {your name and company}

DATE SUBMITTED:                       {date you sent to the chair}
DATE REVISED:                         {revision date}
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:     {status or date BIRD accepted}

*****************************************************************************
*****************************************************************************

STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:

{Place a short description of your issue here.  People should be able
tell by reading this if they care about this in less than 1 minute.}

*****************************************************************************

STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

{For new keywords, write the text EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD APPEAR in a
future IBIS specification.  If this is a change, state the old text
and the new text again EXACTLY AS IT SHOULD APPEAR.  Be sure to give
intended location in the specification.}

*****************************************************************************

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION:

{There are many "experts" reviewing this document.  Your reasons, analysis,
and justifications must be precise and well documented, or your BIRD will
be sent back to you.  Use this section to show that you've done your
homework, and answer all questions that will undoubtedly be asked.  If
your issue is a change instead of an enhancement, document how backward
compatibility is to be addressed.}

*****************************************************************************

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

{These documents will be archived, so use this section to carry any detail
that is not essential to the previous section, but should not be lost.}

*****************************************************************************