Subject: IBIS 6/30/95 MEETING MINUTES

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 95 13:55 PDT

DATE:    June 30, 1995
 
 SUBJECT: 6/30/95 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes
 
 VOTING MEMBERS:
 AT&T Global Info Solutions     Dave Moxley
 Cadence Design                 Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
 Contec                         Dileep Divekar
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES                        Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Will Hobbs*, Arpad Muranyi*,
                                Derrick Duehren
 Interconnectix, Inc.           Bob Ross*
 Meta-Software                  Les Spruiell, Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, 
                                John Sliney
 Motorola                       Ron Werner
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Atul Agarwal, Cheng-Yang Kao
 NEC                            Hiroshi Matsumoto
 Quad Design                    Jon Powell
 Quantic Labs                   Mike Ventham
 Texas Instruments              Bob Ward*
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               Jean LeBrun
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             Stephen Lum
 Zuken-Redac                    John Berrie
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS:
 ARPA                           Randy Harr
 Anacad                         Steffen Rochel
 Ansoft                         Henri Maramis
 Atmel Corporation              Dan Terry
 Cadlab                         Ralf Bruning
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Barry Katz
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 High Design Technology         Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
 Hewlett Packard                Tom Langdorf, Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 IBM                            Jay Diepenbrock
 Integrated Silicon Systems     Eric Bracken
 Intergraph                     Ian Dodd, David Wiens, Walter Katz
 IntuSoft                       Charles Hymowitz
 LSI Logic Corp.                Satish Pratadneni
 Mentor Graphics                Ravender Goyal, Greg Doyle
 MicroSim                       Arthur Wong
 North Carolina State U.        Steve Lipa, Michael Steer
 OptEM Engineering, Inc.        Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
 Pacific Numerix                Paul K. U. Wang
 Symmetry                       Martin Walker
 Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.    Bill Lattin
 VLSI                           Dick Ulmer*, Sung Ho*
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu
 
 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.
 
 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as 
 follows:
      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode 
      7/21/95    (916) 356-9999   1-3147           7221442 
      8/11/95    (916) 356-9999   1-3150           8492193 
 
 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------
 
 INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Dick Ulmer and Sung Oh of VLSI introduced themselves.  They come from the
 PC Products Division and are finishing Version 2.1 IBIS models for PC chip
 sets.  VLSI is in the process of becoming a Member of EIA/IBIS.

 MINUTES, TREASURER'S REPORT, MISC.
 Minutes of 6/15/95 meeting were approved.

 Patti Rusher did not have an update of the treasurer's report, but there 
 have been two additional parser purchases.

 Will Hobbs reported that JEDEC packaging committee is interested in IBIS 
 and particularly the package model extension activity of BIRD28.1.  Stephen 
 Peters has been invited to talk to the September JEDEC meeting.  Bob Ward 
 gave a brief overview of IBIS to the TI JEDEC representatives.  There
 appears to be an opportunity for cooperation and coordination.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Pin programmable buffer strengths from Arpad Muranyi

 PRESS UPDATES
 IBIS press release Electronic News (May 29, 1995), pg 36.
 IBIS mentioned in product anouncements by Cadence in Electronic News 
 (June 5, 1995), and by Savantage in EDN (June 8, 1995) and Electronic
 Engineering Times (June 5, 1995).

 NEW MODELS
 Syed Huq reported that National has submitted two more Version 1.1 models for
 DRAM controllers to vhdl.org

 Model providers are interested in knowning who uses the models.  Syed will 
 pursue this when Michael Steer returns from vacation.  Bob Ward feels that
 it is possible to put directory monitors for statistics. The intent is that
 eacy company which submit models can get monthly statistics on who accesses
 their models.  These statistics would be available only to the model
 provider, since as Will Hobbs pointed out, company may not want their
 model usage monitored (product plans) exposed to others.

 AR - Syed contacts Michael Steer on developing a tracking system with the
 System Administrator of vhdl.org.

 EIA IBIS MEMBERSHIP UPDATE
 We currently have 17 members with VLSI expected to join soon.

 Nine positive responses (with no comments) to the ballot have been received.

 EIA World Wide Web is running.  Syed Huq will work with Patti to provide
 an IBIS home page and also access to public IBIS information that reside
 outside of participating company firewalls.  The home page contents have
 to be approved by the IBIS Committee, and must also pass EIA legal review.

 AR - Syed will update the reflector on IBIS home page progress.

 Patti will be coordinating the EDA booth at DAC96 in Las Vegas.  She would
 like to see standards participation.  She has asked for free floor space.  At
 DAC95, CFI and EIA/EDIF payed $15K and several others put in less.  She
 expects the cost to go down next year.  A workstation with demos for IBIS
 would be nice.  Several knowledgeable IBIS people would be needed for 
 booth duty.

 GOLDEN PARSER UPDATE
 Will has redistributed the corrected Version 7 ibischk2 disks as Beta 7.1
 We have not had a chance to give feedback yet since it was sent out 
 originally with ramp.c missing.  This is expected to be the final release.
 However, some additional changes based on BIRD29.1 and on completeness of
 the parser may necessitate additional work.  

 S2IBIS 2.1
 Kumar will make progress reports.  A while ago Michael Steer had requested
 ibischk2 header files for code compatibility.  We agreed to provide these.

 AR - Will Hobbs send Michael all *.h files.  Update - DONE

 AR - Kumar provide an update next week on s2ibis 2.1 progress.

 COOKBOOK AND OVERVIEW UPDATE
 Will mentioned that this would be a good Summer project since there is 
 much interest in IBIS Version 2.1

 BIRD27 NEW KEYWORD FOR DIFFERENTIAL I/O
 Bob Ward will submit BIRD27.1 using comments from Bob Ross and will this 
 will be discussed at the next meeting.  This change is intended for
 Version 3.0.
 
 AR - Bob Ward submit BIRD27.1

 BIRD28.1 PACKAGE MODEL EXTENSION
 Stephen Peters has just sent BIRD28.1 with changes including revised
 syntax and removal of the [Units] keyword.  Stephen retained the [Model
 Data] and [End Model Data] syntax.  The key difference is that the
 groups of pins that are intended to couple one another need to be of the
 same length.  The matricies used to describe the coupling are described in
 the BIRD and are consistent with those produced by field solvers.

 Stephen raised the question if VCC and GND pins should be handled
 differently with no coupling, and the consensus was that this was not
 necessary nor proper.  Coupling the rails should be included in the
 format so simulators can handle the effects.

 As a reality check, Stephen will post a PQFP picture and corresponding
 IBIS description to illustrate the application of BIRD28.1 and perhaps
 generate further comment.  The example may be in text or Word format.

 AR - Stephen Peters submit an example.

 BIRD29.1, BANDED MATRICES
 As written, Version 2.1 did not permit wrap-around coupling through
 the banded method.  At DAC95 and on the reflector, we discussed a 
 wrap-around mechanixm by extending the bands diagonally beyond the
 square perimeter of the matrix far enough to match the length of the 
 diagonal at each fringe paralleling the diagonal.  

 Bird29.1 was approved by vote.  Thjs bird would apply to the EIA IBIS
 Version 2.1 and is regarded as an editorial clarification and slight
 expansion of functionality (keeping the existing functionality).

 AR - Bob Ross sends to EIA this BIRD as a comment to the EIA IBIS ballot
 from the committee.  Update: DONE

 AR - Will Hobbs and Bob Ross, commmunicate this change to Paul Munsey
 and Ron Neville as an enhancement to the ibischk2 parser project.
 Update: DONE

 PIN PROGRAMMABLE BUFFER STRENGTHS
 Arpad Muranyi asked whether the current IBIS syntax could include specifying
 multiple buffer strengths for a particular pin, and the concensus was no.
 Bob Ward had raised this issue at the DAC Summit meeting in February, 1995.
 The ibis_chk and ibischk2 utilities would not handle several models on the
 same [Pin] line.

 The current method is to supply several models and supply the appropriate
 comments so that the user can enter the correct model in the [Pin] table.
 Another solution is to have multiple [Component] files having permutations
 of model combinations.  This would work if only a few selections are needed.

 Buffer strength selection exists in several devices, so the need is real.
 It may be nice to have an IFDEF method to dynamically select buffer levels.

 AR - Arpad Muranyi write up a proposal (EGG) and submit to the reflector
 to generate discussion.

 NEXT MEETING:
 It is set on Friday, July 21, 1995.  Will Hobbs will be gone, so Jon Powell
 or Bob Ross will moderate.

 AR - Will Hobbs contact Jon Powell.  Update: DONE.  Jon Powell will moderate.

 ==============================================================================
                                       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Will Hobbs (503) 264-4369, Fax (503) 264-4210
             [email-masked]
             Modeling Manager, Intel Corp.
             2111 NE 28th M/S JF1-57, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA
 
 VICE CHAIR: Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
             [email-masked]
             1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, fax (503) 639-3469
             [email-masked]
             10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223
 
 To become a voting member of the EIA IBIS Open Forum, send email to 
 [email-masked] for instructions.
 
 If you want to join the e-mail reflector ([email-masked]), send e-mail to the 
 IBIS secretary at [email-masked].
 
 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic 
 archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================