Subject: EIA IBIS MINUTES JULY 21, 1995

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 09:03 PDT

DATE:    July 26, 1995
 
 SUBJECT: 7/21/95 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes
 
 VOTING MEMBERS:
 AT&T Global Info Solutions     Dave Moxley
 Cadence Design                 Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
 Contec CAE, Ltd.               Dileep Divekar*
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli*
 INCASES                        Werner Rissiek, Olaf Rethmeier
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Will Hobbs, Arpad Muranyi*,
                                Derrick Duehren
 Interconnectix, Inc.           Bob Ross*
 Meta-Software                  Les Spruiell, Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, 
                                John Sliney
 Motorola                       Ron Werner
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Atul Agarwal, Cheng-Yang Kao
 NEC                            Hiroshi Matsumoto
 Quad Design                    Jon Powell*
 Quantic Labs                   Mike Ventham
 Texas Instruments              Bob Ward
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               Jean LeBrun
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             Stephen Lum
 Zuken-Redac                    John Berrie
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS:
 ARPA                           Randy Harr
 Anacad                         Steffen Rochel
 Ansoft                         Henri Maramis
 Atmel Corporation              Dan Terry
 Cadlab                         Ralf Bruning
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Barry Katz
 EIA                            Patti Rusher
 High Design Technology         Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
 Hewlett Packard                Tom Langdorf, Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 IBM                            Jay Diepenbrock
 Integrated Silicon Systems     Eric Bracken
 Intergraph                     Ian Dodd, David Wiens, Walter Katz
 IntuSoft                       Charles Hymowitz
 LSI Logic Corp.                Satish Pratadneni
 Mentor Graphics                Ravender Goyal, Greg Doyle
 MicroSim                       Arthur Wong
 North Carolina State U.        Steve Lipa, Michael Steer*
 OptEM Engineering, Inc.        Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
 Pacific Numerix                Paul K. U. Wang
 Symmetry                       Martin Walker
 Synopsys, Logic Modeling G.    Bill Lattin
 VLSI                           Dick Ulmer*, Sung Oh*
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl, Hiro Moriyasu
 
 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.
 
 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as 
 follows:
      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode 
      8/11/95    (916) 356-9999   1-3150           8492193 
 
 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------
 
 INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Bob Ward has left TI, so a new representative is needed.

 AR - TI supply a new representative.

 MINUTES REPORT, MISC.
 Minutes of 6/30/95 have these corrections: correction of spelling of 
 Sung Oh of VLSI, correction of VLSI division name to Personal Computer
 Division, and change of Contec to Contec CAE, Ltd.

 AR - Bob Ross will make roster change for Contec CAE and request Roster
 update information from VLSI - [DONE]

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Standardizing on Unix convention on vhdl.org text files was raised by Arpad
 Muranyi.  Michael Steer indicated that that was the convention used for
 all models, but not all files have been converted in other subdirectories
 such as those for the IBIS 2.1 manual.

 AR - Michael Steer make a pass at converting vhdl.org text files to Unix
 convention.  (AR taken by Bob Ross below)

 (AR - Bob Ross will take the AR and convert all *.txt files encountered with
 DOS convention to Unix Convention - [DONE] for Ver2_1.txt and ver2.0 and
 ver2.1 directories)

 PRESS UPDATES
 IBIS mention by Savantage product highlights in Electronic Products, July
 1995 pg. 61.
 IBIS mention in "Delivering the High-Speed Clock: It's Not Easy To Be On
 Time," EDN, July 6, 1995, pg 44.
 Extensive IBIS mention and EIA IBIS discussion by Meta-Software in Design
 Software Section of Electronic News, July 17, 1995, pg. 46 which included
 a Meta I/O announcement of a product which provides IBIS translations to/
 from Spice.

 NEW MODELS
 Two new models previously submitted by National for DRAM controllers have
 been put in vhdl.org
 
 Kellee Crissafulli reported that Xilinx is still considering putting their
 IBIS models on vhdl.org.  They are available by direct contact at this time.

 Dick Ulmer reported that VLSI has not made a decision regarding putting
 models under development on vhdl.org.  They may want to control the
 availability on a selective basis.

 MODEL TRACKING

 Tracking of model usage by companies such as National who have submitted
 models was continued from last meetings discussion.  Michael Steer said
 he would work with Steve Lipa to investigate an set up a method to gather
 access statistics and report back to the model provider on a monthly basis.
 Who uses the models may not be clear since the anonymous password entry
 may not give full information.

 AR - Michael Steer (with Steve Lipa) work with systems administrators on
 vhdl.org to set up a model access usage system for reporting back statistics
 of model access to the model providers.

 MODELS UNDER NDA

 Syed Huq wants to post the availability of some IBIS models that are 
 available on a restricted basis or by NDA.  Michael Steer indicated that
 the process could done by E-mail rather than the more formal process as
 documented in PROTOCOL.TXT under /pub/ibis/models in vhdl.org.  Jon Powell
 suggested that the information be contained in a file such as 
 <model_name>.txt or <model_name>.nda so that one can list all the models in
 a directory by extension.  The <model_name>.ibs would remain as actual IBIS 
 models.  All information will be presented in the 00Readme file and and also
 will be in the text information file(s).

 AR - Michael Steer will post a process for submitting information on
 models that are available on a restricted basis.

 As a reminder, the best method to submit models to vhdl.org is to submit
 them directly to Michael Steer ([email-masked]).  [email-masked]
 mails the file to Michael.

 EIA IBIS Status
 Dick Ulmer indicated that VLSI sent a Purchase Order for EIA for membership
 and parser.  [Received by EIA, so VLSI is now a Voting Member]

 There was no Treasurer's report or Ballot update.

 AR - Jon Powell work with Patti Rusher concerning permission letter for
 company logos.

 EIA World Wide Web is running.  Syed Huq is testing using the EIA IBIS
 logo used for the IBIS Spoken Here signs to test the Home Page.  The
 committee approved using the logo and also using the EDN article for Web.  

 AR - Stephen Peters will work with Will Hobbs (when he returns from vacation)
 to get the text of the IBIS article to Syed Huq.

 Also, Syed is collecting FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for the Web and
 will be putting them on the reflector.  Michael indicated information on
 posting models would be an appropriate FAQ.  Kellee suggested a listing
 of models.  Some information should be stored at one source and referenced by
 pointers rather than duplicated several places for maintainability and
 accuracy.  One link would be to source material in /pub/ibis on vhdl.org.

 The EIA web site is up and is

       www.eia.org/eng

 Under this is a list of different standards.  IBIS will be accessed by
 searching for IBIS or by selecting EIA 656 when fully functional.

 All information will be approved by the IBIS Forum prior to adding to the
 Web and also must pass through EIA legal review.

 AR - Syed Huq post FAQ so that they can be approved at Forum meetings.

 Syed will provide html translation and submit the information to EIA system
 administration who have write access to be put on the EIA Web.

 GOLDEN PARSER UPDATE
 Bob Ross indicated that additional work has been agreed upon and is
 progressing toward finishing the ibischk2 parser.  The Beta 7.1 release
 is very clean and does not fail on ibis compliant syntax.  The additions
 are for completeness on error checking.  No estimated date for completion
 and redistribution is available at this time.  [Update - estimate Aug 1
 for completion.]

 S2IBIS 2.1
 Michael Steer reported on the s2ibis version 2.0 progress.  It is command
 command language based (versus interpreter) and is using the *.h files
 of ibischk2.  So it parses initially the s2ibis input file first and writes
 to the data structure. The complexity IBIS Version 2.1 dictates this approach.
 The analysis routines of Version 1.1 parser are planned to be included.  A
 working prototype is expected in several weeks with a Beta version available
 in about 4 weeks.  Full *.pkg modeling will not be supported.

 Arpad Muranyi raised the question of aligning the VT curves.  This may not
 be an issue if they are all aligned with respect to a time = 0 reference.
 We would have to review this to see if there is a problem.

 S2IBIS 1.1
 Bob Ross mentioned a problem that exists in the [Pullup] data in the region
 below ground due to what appears to be an incorrect implementation of the
 planned extrapolation region.  He has been in communication with Steve Lipa.
 The plan is to ask for a correction release S2IBIS 1.2 and also have the
 correct algorithm in S2IBIS 2.1.  The forum appeared in agreement in this
 approach.

 AR - Bob Ross communicate desired action to Steve Lipa - [Done].

 COOKBOOK AND OVERVIEW UPDATE
 Kellee Chrisafulli stated little response on requests, but has been capturing
 tidbits of information off the reflector.  His view is that some Semiconductor
 companies which have been producing models might pick up the project.  Syed
 Huq of National said he could work with Kellee on measurement based issues.
 Stephen Peters may be available in several months to help since he will be 
 working on an internal Intel document on IBIS.  The cookbook could use 
 Version 1.1 as a basis.  One section might address FAQ.

 BIRD29.2, BANDED MATRICES
 BIRD29.1 was approved by the Forum at last meeting.  BIRD29.2 was proposed
 as a minor addition to resolve an IBISCHK2 error checking issue that
 was raised by Ron Neville.  It introduces a maximum band size limit for
 cases where the band is wrapped around to prevent the possibility of specifying
 the same entry in two locations and possibly differently.  This addition
 is by just 4 additional clarification lines.

 BIRD29.2 was approved by vote by the Forum.

 AR - Bob Ross sends to EIA this BIRD as a comment to the EIA IBIS ballot
 from the committee.  Also, Bob Ross confirm with Ron Neville that this
 BIRD has been approved for implementation into IBISCHK2. [DONE]

 BIRD27 NEW KEYWORD FOR DIFFERENTIAL I/O
 This was deferred since Bob Ward is no longer at TI as indicated above.
 
 AR - Bob Ross submit BIRD27.1

 BIRD28.1 PACKAGE MODEL EXTENSION / PHYSICAL EXTENSIONS
 The discusson was opened by Stephen Peters, and based on the consideration
 of example sent out and commented upon.  One concludion was that the
 syntax of grouped lengths had problems.  The original variable length
 syntax or some other approach has more promise as an approximation 
 approach.  This is still an open issue and one of practical concern.

 AR - Stephen Peters will develop and post an updated BIRD28.2 reflecting
 some additional insites.

 The discussion merged with the physical discription approach as one
 way to give a more detailed description.  Action items are:

 AR - Kellee Crissfulli create and post an example of a physical description.

 AR - Arpad Muranyi contact Raj Mitra at U of Illinois for possible format
 input and present any useful results.

 AR - Jon Powell investigate and report on EDIF formats and field solver
 data bases and consideration with respect to geometric descriptions.

 DIODE MODELING
 This issue has been put on hold and was raised here to see what progress
 has been made.  Jon Powell (may) have some work that he can share and
 will report it or make it available.  There was brief discussion of 
 measurement and of whether the turn off or turn on time were the major
 factors.

 AR - Stephen Peter talk to Tim Schreyer for progress since the issue is 
 becoming visible again.

 PIN PROGRAMMABLE BUFFER STRENGTHS
 Arpad Muranyi opened this issue for discussion and Dick Ulmer of VLSI 
 indicated this is an important issue with them.  A typical part may have
 buffer selections at two strengths and for 5V and 3.3V supplies giving
 four choices.  Currently the customer needs to edit in the name of the
 buffer being used in IBIS files.

 Arpad listed several approaches and several more were presented during
 the discussion:
 (1) Include all buffers, and use an editor to insert the name into the
     [Pin] list for the strength desired - a tedious editing process.
 (2) List all acceptable buffers for each pin - this enlarges the [Pin]
     file, and there has to be a selection mechanism.
 (3) Introduce a new keyword which supports a model with multiple VI curves
     and Ramp (or VT) curves in the model - need a selection method.
 (4) Use #Define syntax to compile the IBIS model beforehand with the
     proper buffers based on a model with multiple choices.  There are
     various C tools that can do this.  One issue is if models can be
     changed dynamically such as might be done to optimize a driver for
     a certain net.
 (5) Use a "[Multiple Model]" syntax under which several fully defined 
     [Models] can be used to define for a particular name the available
     model strengths (or even different models) - There is a model
     selection issue.

 One question/concern by Dick is if one of the models is the default model.

 AR - Arpad Muranyi write up a proposal (EGG) reflecting further thoughts.

 TTL DRIVERS
 Jon Powell raised as a new issue that CMOS and TTL drivers may need to be
 processed differently to reach the half-on/half-off state using VI data.
 This may requiring keywords for identifying the different technology.

 AR - Jon Powell supply more information and possibly an egg for discussion.

 NEXT MEETING:
 It is set on Friday, August 11, 1995 with Will Hobbs moderating.

 ==============================================================================
                                       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Will Hobbs (503) 264-4369, Fax (503) 264-4210
             [email-masked]
             Modeling Manager, Intel Corp.
             2111 NE 28th M/S JF1-57, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA
 
 VICE CHAIR: Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
             [email-masked]
             1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, fax (503) 639-3469
             [email-masked]
             10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223
 
 To become a voting member of the EIA IBIS Open Forum, send email to 
 [email-masked] for instructions.
 
 If you want to join the e-mail reflector ([email-masked]), send e-mail to the 
 IBIS secretary at [email-masked].
 
 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic 
 archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================