Subject: Re[2]: name casing

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 95 09:22:22 PST

Text item: 

Arpad,

I thought you had experienced a problem putting ibis_chk under Windows because 
Windows read all file names as upper case.  We wanted case insensitivity so 
regardless of how a brain-dead operating system messed with characters, the file
could still be parsed.  The spec says use lower case names so we wouldn't have 
the situation Paul describes, where two different files differ only in their 
case, making them OS-dependent.  In my opinion, all file names should be treated
as if they were all lower case, regardless of how they actually appear in the 
file system to the OS.

Will

Hi IBIS gurues,

As far as I remember, the only request we made originally was to disable case 
sensitivity for DOS/Windows or PC compiled systems.  Now that we have so many 
operating systems on various machines which emulate other operating systems, 
this request is not so clear to me any more.  I am not even sure what the reason

for the all-lower case rule was for case sensitive operating systems such as 
UNIX.

To make things simple (?) would it make sense to compile case insensitive for 
those operating systems which are case insensitive, and case sensitive for those

which are case sensitive?

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
All,

   I think I understand the name casing problem, but don't gather from the
mail what the solution is supposed to be.  Here's my take on it:

1) For DOS it makes sense to take the filename input by the user and
   convert it to lowercase before processing it.  I assume other 
   applications must do this because 'edit abc' does the same thing for 
   me as 'edit ABC' (i.e., I get the same file both times).

2) Other O.S.'s (NT, UNIX) accessing DOS filesystems is not really a
   parser bug.  The spec says that filenames must be all lower case, but 
   this seems to conflict with the senario mentioned.

I can only think of 3 solutions, none of which seem complete:

 - We can change the parser as mentioned in #1, but that won't help
   #2.

 - We can put in a compile switch that will allow the product to always
   convert the input name to lowercase, but that will only help those 
   who purchase the source and can compile it that way.

 - We can always convert the input name to lowercase and fully eliminate
   the opportunity of UNIX, NT, ... users from parsing files that have 
   any uppercase characters in their names.  This could be fine since
   the rules say they must be lowercase.  However, if a UNIX user happens 
   to have 2 files, one called 'abc.ibs' and the other 'ABC.ibs', and they 
   enter 'ibischk2 ABC.ibs' they will end up parsing the other file and 
   probably not know their mistake.

Please email Ron and I with your suggestions.

Paul Munsey

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: name casing
Cc: Kellee Crisafulli <[email-masked]>,
        Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
To: Arpad Muranyi <[email-masked]>,
        Ron Neville <[email-masked]>, Bob Ross <[email-masked]>
From: Paul Munsey <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Mar 95 01:16:55 EST

 Mar 95 02:41:25 -0800
Received: from hermes.intel.com by fmmail.fm.intel.com with smtp
     (Smail3.1.28.1 #2) id m0rkUla-000algC; Fri, 3 Mar 95 02:39 PST

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: Re: name casing
Cc: [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
To: [email-masked],
        [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: Arpad Muranyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 95 08:20:06 PST
BARRNet)
     id AA25688; Fri, 3 Mar 95 08:25:29 PST
Received: from VHDL.VHDL.ORG by aurora.intel.com (5.65/10.0i); Fri, 3 Mar 95 08:
58:38 -0800
Received: from aurora by ichips.intel.com (5.64+/10.0i); Fri, 3 Mar 95 08:59:09
-0800
Received: from ichips.intel.com by relay.jf.intel.com with smtp
     (Smail3.1.28.1 #2) id m0rkah6-000twoC; Fri, 3 Mar 95 08:59 PST