Subject: To Paul, regarding case.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 11:06:45 -0800

>From: Paul Munsey <[email-masked]>
>
>1) It seems to be more complex.
Yes I think your right, however it will make life for the the users much easier.

>2) I believe that item 4 (the second item 4) contradicts itself.  That is,
>   the final statement says:
>      "If not (the file name matches exactly what the user typed) then it
>      is suffient to check only for a lower case name".
>   This sounds like the parser should try and open the file exactly as it was
>   entered on the command line; if no such file exists, then the parser should
>   try and open the filename as all lowercase characters.  This sounds fine,
>   but the first two sentences of the item say:
>       "The file should be parsed and checked no matter what the case.
>       For example if the user types in a lower case name and the file name
>       on the system is upper case because it came from a DOS enviorment
>       the file should still be parsed."
>   Now it sounds like we're saying to check for uppercase names, not lower.
>   Let me know if I'm missreading this.
>Paul Munsey
I don't believe there is any contradiction.  So I will try to say it another
way.
1) The parser should check any file with the same name and a .ibs extension
no matter
   what the case of the name or extension.  This means the user might type
FOO.ibs or
   Foo.IbS or foo.ibs  and the parser should check the either file foo.ibs
or FOO.IBS.
   However if both FOO.IBS and foo.ibs are present then the file with
matching case should
   be tested unless it is not clear which file matches, then pick the lower
case file.

2) The file name in the .ibs file must still be tested for case and a
warning given
   if not lower case.

3) If a user has gotten a file from a DOS system with the name FOO.IBS and
another version
   of the same file was copied and edited on a unix system with the name
foo.ibs then
   he should be able to explicitly select which file to use.  (This was
Bob's concern)
Have a great day...Kellee Crisafulli, HyperLynx Inc.