Subject: IBIS file question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 95 14:23:00 -0800

Hello IBISians,

I am looking for a spec clarification.

The IBIS spec allows for more than one component to be a part of an IBIS
file.  But is it likely that anyone would implement such an approach?

Regards,

Karl Kachigan
HP EEsof Division

---

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 95 15:53 PST

Karl:

The Specification allows multiple components per *.ibs file.  This is 
actually very practical.  As an extreme case, we typically concatenate many
Components and Models into ONE very large IBIS design file for a 
particular design.  This save steps in loading ALL of the Components
and keeps things together.  This large file contains components of
all of the technologies in the design and may be composed partially
by cutting and pasting from other files.

Even for a particular component there may be several strengths of a
particular group of outputs based on some control pin.  Combinations
of such variations can be designated by Component name variations and
might reside in the same IBIS file for convenient grouping.

For posting of components, you will most likely see one file per Component.
However, eventually you may see many similar technology Components within
one IBIS file as a convenient grouping for a particular manufacturer (e.g.,
the complete 74FXX series components).

So IBIS does allow multiple components within a file.  Grouping many
components into one file is commonly done using IBIS and also commonly
done in other formats as well.

Bob Ross,
Interconnectix, Inc.