Subject: Reply to Bob Ross, MORE ON NAME CASING

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 15:29:22 -0800

>Bob stated:
>In jumping into the "casing" issue, I may be missing something.  I feel
>IBISCHK2 runs correctly as is.
>Even in DOS systems, IBISCHK2 correctly detects any upper case violation
>in "filename.ibs" in the keyword [File Name].  It also correctly processes
>DOS uppercase "FILENAME.IBS" files without reporting an error.

Hi Bob,
  You are correct in that the parser does correctly check file names in the
file.  However this is not the issue at all.

The problem is that DOS seems to store the characters as upper case internally.
It seems to usually pass them as lower case, thus they compare usually. 
However if the actual file is transfered from a DOS system to say an NT
system or a Windows 95 system or probably a UNIX system say over a modem.
The file name is transfered as upper case.  Then the file system can pass it
to the program as case sensitive.  Here is where the problem occurs.  So
unless we don't care about running on Windows 95, Windows NT, and we don't
care if we can
check IBIS files created on a DOS machine and uploaded to a UNIX machine,
then WE BETTER FIX IT.

The bottom line I believe is:
  1) The parser already checks the file name recorded in the file properly
     (I think).

  2) The parser checks the actual file name as stored on the operating system
     as case sensitive.  If the file is developed on a DOS or Windows 3.1
platform using DOS it will have an upper case name.  There is nothing
     anyone can do about it.  There is no practical way to give it a lower
     case name.  Just look a the file names by doing a 'dir'.  Because of this
     we must do case insensitive file name checking for the file name given
     to the IBIS check program to check.  The file name actually store in
the           IBIS file can be lower case and it can be checked for case
sensitivity.

Have a great day...Kellee Crisafulli, HyperLynx Inc.