Subject: New package model (Fred, Arpad, Steven)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 20:41:58 -0700

Hi guys,

  I have to agree with Fred completely.  My customers do consider SIMM
modules to be
IC's.  They treat them as a single unit.  They don't make the circuit boards
for them
themselves.  Different vendors have completely different layouts for the boards.

This is exactly! what I have been talking about relative to using physical
PCB descriptions
for the packaging.

So to respond to Arpad's statement, a SIMM module is considered an IC by the
customers like
Fred that use them.  If Intel made SIMM modules you would hear this from
your customers.

I would like to repeat the point I have been trying to make for several months.

  1) for more advanced packaging like (SIMM,s PGA's, and MCM's) I believe a
physical
     format similar to a PCB layout should be added to IBIS.

  2) For the more intermediate packaging needs like what Steven is working
with on the P6
     the proposal that Steven has offered gives us a very nice extension to
the existing
     standard.

These two extensions together should satisify most (not all) packaging needs
for many
years to come.

Have a great day...Kellee Crisafulli, HyperLynx Inc.