Subject: 1.x vs 2.x

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 17:42:23 -0800

Hello Chris:

   If what your asking is "should a 2.x parser should be able to read 1.x 
files using the newer code" the answer should be yes.  However,
if I remember correctly the decision was made to continue using
the older parser code for 1.x files to make absolutly sure we were
backwards compatable.  There may have been some small incompatablitly
between the two versions, but I don't recall specifically.  Hope that
helps.

             Regards,
             Stephen

Hi All,

The current ibischk2 has a switch inside that upon reading a 1.x ibis
file checks if differently (using the older checks) than a 2.x file.

If we are truly backward compatible (are we?) then shouldn't we parse
and test all .ibs files for the current revision (now 2.1) regardless of
the file's ibis version.

Q: Should a 2.x parser be able to read 1.x or not?

Thanks,

-Chris Rokusek