Subject: Re: R_Pad?

From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 96 08:53:00 PDT

Text item: 

IBISians,

Pad resistance is generally encompassed in the R_package. I'm surprised if this 
isn't sufficient, given the vanishinly small value of the pad resistance and its
immediate interconnection to bonding wires. However, as a tribute to Arpad 
Muranyi, the technical father of IBIS, I think an R_pad keyword would be 
terrific. And perhaps I'm wrong about whether or not there is a technical reason
to break it out, so I'll defer to those who perceive a real need.

Will

Hello IBIS folk,

I'm participating in my companies initial developement stages of 
generating IBIS files, and currently we are simultaniously 
investigating generating them from both actual silicon, as well 
as from spice netlists.  Were new to this email list, so
please excuse us if this has been discussed:

I have searched all of the documents that I could find, including 
searching through the email archives, but we are still having 
trouble answering this one question:  How do we deal with a
Pad resistance (CMOS)... R_comp would have been perfect for this.  It 
seems that those who asked about R_comp in the past were told
to figure it into the R_package (or R_pin).  However, when the data 
is collected from real silicon without the package (using a tester's
probe leads directly on the die's I/O pads), any resistance between the 
I/O pad and the I/O buffer circuitry gets included...  So
the test yeilds Pull-up and Pull-down data that includes an effective 
R_comp.  For those who have designs with a built-in resistance between 
your pad and your I/O circuitry, how did you deal with this since the 
specs don't allow for R_comp, and including this resistance in the 
R_package is (seems) impossible?

The thing that flagged us to this problem was that our Pull-down curve 
(after subtracting the Power-clamp diode data from the initial pull-down 
data) gets brought down to close to 0 current when there's about a diode 
voltage above Vcc on the pin  (in our initial SPICE testing where we 
included a resistance between the I/O circuitry and the Pad).

Thanks in advance,
-Scott Schlachter
 Actel Corporation
 Sunnyvale, CA

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: R_Pad?
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: [email-masked] (Scott Schlachter)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 96 20:30:11 PDT
.7.3/8.7.3) with SMTP id UAA10039; Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:40:04 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from vhdl.vhdl.org (vhdl.vhdl.org [198.31.14.3]) by ormail.intel.com (
8.7.6/8.7.3) with ESMTP id UAA22949; Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ormail.intel.com (ormail.intel.com [134.134.248.3]) by relay.jf.i
ntel.com (8.7.4/8.7.3) with ESMTP id UAA02929; Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:38:50 -0700 (
PDT)
Return-Path: [email-masked]