Subject: IBIS MINUTES 9/6/96

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 96 12:18 PDT

DATE: September 10, 1996

 SUBJECT: 9/6/96 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
 
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1996 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Hank Herrmann*, Tim Minnick, Russ Moser,
				Ray Ziesse*
 Cadence Design                 C. Kumar*
 Contec CAE, Ltd.               Dileep Divekar*, Norio Matsui, Antonis Orphanou
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES                        Olaf Rethmeier*, Ralf Bruening
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Will Hobbs, Arpad Muranyi*,
				John Keifer, Aaron Tang, Duane Quiet,
				[Donald Telian], Jim Kruchowski
 Interconnectix, Inc.           Bob Ross*, Chris Reid
 Meta-Software                  (Sanjay Gangal)
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao, Hoang Nguyen
 Motorola                       Ahmed Omer*
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Donald Snyder, Chune-Sin Yeh,
				Bill Aronson
 NCR (formerly ATT-GIS)         Dave Moxley, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto),
 Quad Design                    Jon Powell*, Chris Rokusek*
 Quantic Laboratories           (Mike Ventham)
 Texas Instruments              Roger Cline, Ben Andresen, Sri Jandhyala,
				Tareq Shahwan, Dan Phipps
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             Celso Faia
 Veribest                       Ian Dodd, David Wiens
 VLSI Technology                Dick Ulmer, Sung Oh*, Swami Gangadharan,
				Daniel Kim, Tom Dockery, D.C. Sessions*,
				Hrish Patel*
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie)
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1996:
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick*
 Altera                         Vadim von Brzeski
 Apteq Design System            Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Mark Leonard
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu*
 EIA                            Patti Rusher
 IC Works                       Eric Chen
 Mentor Graphics                Kim Owen*
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                       
 MicroSim                       Ralph Perez
 Molex                          Gus Panella*
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 Oki Semiconductor              Tom Chao
 Philips Semiconductor          Mike Magdaluyo
 Rockwell Collins               Thomas Thurman
 S3, Inc.                       Sarathy Sribhashyam, Phap Duong    
 Seimans Nixdorf                Arnaud Lacariere
 Symmetry                       Andy Hughes
 Tektronix, Inc.                Brock Hannibal
 TRW & Free Model Foundation    Robert Harrison
 VTC, Inc.                      Bob Ward
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principle
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who have joined another organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as 
 follows:

      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      9/27/96     (916) 356-9200   3-54604          9558683
      10/18/96    (916) 356-9200   3-54605          8249548

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS
 Ray Ziesse of AMP joined to get familiar with the committee.  Eventually he
 will be taking over representation from Hank Herrmann.

 Kim Owen of Mentor Graphics is involved with model support and his main
 concern is model availability.

 EIA MEMBERSHIP AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Bob Ross reported that Veribest joined per minutes correction below, and 
 Quantic Laboratories is listed again as a member since the payment issue 
 has been resolved.

 Bob received the July report which shows $9,285 after DAC expenses.  The
 June report was $10,468.  The August report is not yet available.

 MINUTES REPORT, MISC.
 No corrections were reported, but the following two corrections have been made
 to the July 19, 1996 minutes per e-mail communication:

 Ian Dodd reported that Veribest was changed to full voting member status
 because payment had been received.  

 Patti Rusher corrected "EIA Server Corp" to "Electronic Industries Service
 Corporation" and stated she said she expected a draft proposal in two weeks
 instead of next week regarding DARPA funding.
  
 All AR's have been completed with the exception that Bob Ross has not issued 
 BIRD35.2.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 None.

 PRESS UPDATES
 Syed Huq reported "SPICE and IBIS Modeling Kits The Basis for Signal 
 Integrity Analysis" by Roland H.G. Cuny in the EMC: Silicon to Systems 
 Symposium Record by the IEEE EMC Society, 1996.

 In Electronic Engineering Times, September 2, 1996, four articles mention IBIS:

 (1) "Part 3: Physical Design EDA TOOLS", Richard Goering, pg. 41.
 (2) "Workstation Board Pushes SI Envelope", Alex Pappas and Phil Treen, pg. 46.
 (3) "Signal-integrity Tools Deliver for MP Servers", Richard Mellitz and David
     Moxley, pg. 48.
 (4) "IBIS Standard Provides I/O Buffer Models", Bob Ross, Syed Huq, and Jon
     Powell, pg. 52.

 WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Jon Powell reported adding links from the official EIA/IBIS Home page to
 publicly available IBIS models.  He requests people to report new sites and
 any out of date or better links.  Jon updates the page weekly.

 (Not reported - the EIA site also links to the contacts.txt document which 
 also gets updated regularly.)

 Bob Ross reported that Quality Semiconductor has IBIS Models on

   http://www.qualitysemi.com/devices.htm

 The Micron link was changed to the site reported at the last meeting, and the
 Model Request Form link appears inactive.

 Syed Huq looked into URL promotion on www.submit-it or www.postmaster of
 the EIA/IBIS website.  Both locations support various search engines, but
 require a fee.  Jon suggested to try Alta Vista or Yahoo which he thinks
 does not require a fee.  The sense of the Committee is not to pay for
 registration.

 NEW MODELS
 Bob Ross reported that Motorola has some Fast SRAM models available via e-mail
 and Motorola also plans to put them on a Web page.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Hank Herrmann - AMP patent
 Bob Ross - EDIF 4 0 0
 Bob Ross - Design SuperCon97

 AMP PATENT
 Hank Herrmann alerted the EIA/IBIS Committee regarding a patent held by AMP:

 AMP holds a patent that relates to the current IBIS work on coupled multi-line
 connector models (BIRD36: Electrical Board Description).  It covers the process
 of using a coupled multi-line connector model with a simulator in order to
 optimize the wiring configuration of the interconnection.

 Hank advises anyone interested to obtain a copy and review it. The patent
 specifics are as follows:

    Patent # 5,081,602
    Title:  Computer Simulator for Electrical Connectors
    Inventor: Douglas W. Glover
    Assignee: AMP Incorporated

 Hank adds that AMP Incorporated has not yet decided on their position
 regarding this patent.  A position statement is owed to the IBIS Open Forum.

 If there are any questions regarding this patent, they should be directed to:

    Mr. Bruce Wolstoncroft
    The Whitaker Corporation
    Phone: (302) 633-2745

 EIA/JAPAN - IBIS WORKING GROUP
 Jon Powell reported that EIAJ appears to be attempting to form a group for
 a new standard.  They want one that includes SSO and coupled packaging
 effects.

 IEC EXPRESS FUNDING PROGRESS
 No report.  IBIS Version 2.1 has been forwarded to IEC.

 EE TIMES ARTICLE
 As Bob Ross noted, above the Electrical Engineering Times article on IBIS has 
 been published.  The IBIS committee officers served as the co-authors on 
 on behalf of the committee, but Bob wishes to thank C. Kumar, Stephen Peters
 and Patti Rusher for providing review and feedback. 
 
 AR - Bob Ross seek permission (if necessary) and post to submitted draft text
 of the EE Times article on vhdl.org. 

 EDIF 4 0 0
 Bob Ross reported that Alan Williams of the University of Manchester provided
 the syntax for inclusion of IBIS models and for reporting passive R, L, C
 element values to simulators, per the official IBIS Committee technical
 comment.  Bob concurred with the proposed syntax, and Alan Williams has
 forwarded EDIF 4 0 0 to EIA.

 DESIGN SUPERCON97
 Bob Ross asked whether we should plan for a face-to-face meeting with Design
 SuperCon97 in San Jose at the end of January.  Last year, it worked well to
 have the meeting on Monday prior to Design SuperCon96.  The consensus was yes.
 
 Syed Huq indicated that National Semiconductor would be glad to host the
 meeting again.  Other companies can also volunteer to host the meeting.  Bob
 indicated that the IBIS Committee could probably assist in the funding.

 S2IBIS2
 Per ibis-users reflector discussion, Syed Huq noted that s2ibis version 2.091 
 had a different syntax than s2ibis version 1.3, and he had some questions.  He 
 received a several public and private responses.  Syed proposed compiling a
 list of workarounds.  He feels more complete documentation is needed.
 Meanwhile, he is still relying on s2ibis Version 1.3

 BIRD37.1 - ENHANCEMENT OT THE PACKAGE MODEL SPECIFICATION
 Bob Ross moved the BIRD37.1 discussion next since it was being considered for
 vote.  Bob and Stephen Peters reaffirmed that it was a technical extension to 
 the already approved BIRD28.3 to add Begin Fork and End Fork syntax for
 "stubs" in packages.  
 
 Jon Powell cautioned that while he did not object to BIRD37.1, we should
 understand the technical limitations of this extension with respect to 
 coupling.
 
 C. Kumar also felt that the single line extension was useful, but felt that
 the coupling mechanism did not support SSO effects because the matrices were
 not constructed to take this into consideration.  Furthermore, the format
 may not support processing for SSO.  Bob and others did not fully understand
 nor agree with the technical nature of this objection since detailed 
 technical discussion is difficult during conference telephone meetings.
 Kumar also advocated a simpler and less ambitious goal consistent with
 "first order" modeling including limiting the number of stages.
 
 Hank Herrmann indicated that properly extracted global matrices can be
 processed, and algorithms exist to reduce them for single line processing.
 Hank also indicated that as a result of symmetrical matrix assumptions,
 analysis information was available for coupling.
 
 Technical discussions continued.  Since we traditionally have accepted
 technical BIRDs by unanimous vote, we decided not to vote on BIRD37.1.
 Bob stated that there have been no publicly reported models that have
 coupled matrices (per IBIS Version 2.1), nor coupled matrix sections
 (per BIRD28.3).  The committee recommended that BIRD37.2 be produced to
 remove reference to coupled matrix sections (while still containing the 
 single coupled matrix for Version 2.1 compatibility).  The single line
 extensions were viewed as important.  Bob noted that the approval of
 such a modification to BIRD37.2 would supersede the matrix section
 extensions approved in BIRD28.3.

 AR - Stephen Peters provide BIRD37.2 which removes the matrix section
 portions of BIRD37.1 while still maintaining compatibility with Version 2.1.

 BIRD36 - ELECTRICAL BOARD DESCRIPTION
 Because of the relationship with BIRD37.1, Bob Ross moved the discussion of
 BIRD36 next.  Stephen Peters questioned whether we were still bound by
 the matrix coupling mechanisms described in BIRD36 (which are identical
 to BIRD37.1).  Without detailed discussions, the coupling mechanisms could
 be revisited.  Gus Panella suggested that nodal syntax be considered.  Bob
 indicated that this was a valid suggestion, but cut the discussion off since
 the topic has been extensively discussed, and it would consume valuable time
 to re-open the discussion here.  Bob indicated that BIRD36 could also be
 applied to complicated, single packages, filling in for the functionality
 dropped in the future BIRD37.2.  
 
 Bob also noted that the Committee really has three choices with respect to
 the coupling issue:  (1) come to a consensus with respect to a coupled matrix
 extension, (2) do nothing with respect to coupling and let the simulator
 companies deal with coupling using their own, unique approaches, i.e., chose
 not to extend the Standard in this direction at this time, and (3) provide an
 alternative proposal which reaches consensus.

 Hank Herrmann inquired whether comments since June had been included.  Stephen
 Peters noted that there was no general objection to the comments.  Bob noted
 that since BIRD36.1 has not been issued, the comments have not formally been
 included.

 BIRD34.1 - STORED CHARGE EFFECT
 Bob Ross reaffirmed that the proposed TT mechanism was intended only to 
 provide a first order method to mimic a known stored charge effect.  An 
 alternative is to provide a capacitance versus voltage table so that the 
 format is in place for future effects as technology evolves.  Bob felt this 
 is too detailed for the intended application, would be too cumbersome to 
 populate thereby rendering it as a virtually useless extension, and would be
 inconsistent with some simplifying assumptions already embedded within the
 IBIS model architecture regarding where a the series resistance is modeled.
 Dileep Divekar added that such a table would could be in error because of the
 conservation of charge issues related to how algorithms would be forced to
 process this information.  Dileep noted that the proposed TT parameter allowed
 ways to process this information while preserving conservation of charge.
 D.C. Sessions inquired whether the TT parameter was intended just for the 
 entire dynamic voltage range.  Bob intended it to be used just for the 
 clamping regions.
 
 Because BIRD34.1 has been out for quite a while with no formal objections
 nor counter proposals, we plan to vote on it at the next meeting.

 BIRD35.1 - MULTI-STAGED OUTPUTS
 Bob Ross just received Jon Powell's sample syntax and intends to produce 
 BIRD35.2 to be consistent with the IBIS syntax and conventions and supportive
 of Jon's application.  This may not be done by next meeting.

 AR - Bob Ross produce BIRD35.2.

 BIRD38 - ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM VOLTAGE AND EGG12 - SPECIFICATION ADDITIONS
 As time ran out Bob Ross followed up on Jon Powell's previous suggestion
 to set up a committee to handle all specification enhancement issues off-line.
 Members consist of John Fitzpatrick, Ahmed Omer, Jon Powell, and Bob.  Anyone
 else can join.  A telephone conference meeting was scheduled on Tuesday,
 September 24, 1996 at 8 A.M..
 
 AR - Bob Ross set up telephone conference meeting and notify committee members
 of details. [Done]

      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      9/24/96    (916) 356-9200   3-54603          8565793

 EGG10 - PARSER ADDITIONS FOR NUMERICAL CHECKING
 No discussion.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next meeting is on Friday, September 27, 1996, 8:00 A.M. to 9:55 A.M.
 BIRD34.1 is scheduled for vote.
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix, Inc.
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Transmission-Line Products Manager, Quad Design
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Vacant

 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an e-mail request to the automatic 
 archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================