Subject: IBIS Minutes 12/6/96

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 96 15:38 PST

DATE: December 12, 1996

 SUBJECT: 12/06/96 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
  
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1996 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Hank Herrmann, Tim Minnick, Russ Moser,
				Ray Ziesse*, Jeff Walden*
 Applied Simulation Technology  Dileep Divekar*, Norio Matsui, Antonis Orphanou
    (formerly Contec)
 Cadence Design                 C. Kumar
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES                        Olaf Rethmeier*, Ralf Bruening
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Will Hobbs, Arpad Muranyi*,
				John Keifer, Aaron Tang, Duane Quiet,
				[Donald Telian], Jim Kruchowski
 Interconnectix                 Bob Ross*, Chris Reid
 Meta-Software                  (Sanjay Gangal)
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao, Hoang Nguyen
 Motorola                       Ahmed Omer
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, [Donald Snyder], Chune-Sin Yeh,
				[Bill Aronson]
 NCR (formerly ATT-GIS)         Dave Moxley*, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto),
 Quad Design                    Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek
 Quantic Laboratories           Mike Ventham*
 Texas Instruments              Roger Cline, Ben Andresen, Sri Jandhyala,
				Tareq Shahwan, Dan Phipps
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             Celso Faia
 Veribest                       Ian Dodd, David Wiens
 VLSI Technology                Dick Ulmer, Sung Oh, Swami Gangadharan,
				Daniel Kim, Tom Dockery, D.C. Sessions,
				Hrish Patel
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie)
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1996:
 3M                             Fran Hart, George Hare
 Actel                          Scott Schlachter
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick*
 Altera                         Vadim von Brzeski
 Apteq Design System            Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Mark Leonard
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 IC Works                       Eric Chen
 Mentor Graphics                Kim Owen
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                       
 MicroSim                       Ralph Perez
 Molex                          Gus Panella
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 Oki Semiconductor              Tom Chao
 Philips Semiconductor          Mike Magdaluyo
 Rockwell Collins               Thomas Thurman
 S3, Inc.                       Sarathy Sribhashyam, Phap Duong    
 Seimans Nixdorf                Arnaud Lacariere
 Symmetry                       Andy Hughes
 Tektronix, Inc.                Brock Hannibal
 TRW & Free Model Foundation    Robert Harrison
 VTC, Inc.                      Bob Ward
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principle
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who have joined another organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as 
 follows:

      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      1/10/97    (916) 356-9200   4-35934          5448699
      1/20/97    FACE TO FACE MEETING

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS
 Mike Ventham (an original member) from Quantic Laboratories phoned in from
 England.

 EIA MEMBERSHIP AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Patti Rusher indicated no change ($9,285).

 MINUTES REPORT, MISC.
 Scott Schlacter's name was corrected from Steve in the participants list.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Patti Rusher announced that the Compact Model Council is joining EIA.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Syed Huq reported an article to be published in Electronic Design Dec. 2, 1996
 issue "Ease System Simulation with IBIS Device Models" by Syed.

 NEW MODELS
 None

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Bob Ross on Parser Bug
 Stephen Peters on Version 3.0 Goal

 DESIGN SUPERCON97 IBIS SUMMIT MEETING
 Syed Huq reported sending out two e-mails, one for a call for presentations
 and one for details of the meeting.  It is scheduled from 8 AM to 5 PM on
 Monday, January 20.  Breakfast and lunch are included.

 AR - RSVP to Syed Huq if you plan to attend.  
 
 AR - Send Syed Huq or Bob Ross or Jon Powell the presentation idea proposal
 and estimated length of time.  
 
 Bob Reported that several proposals have been received.
 Syed will send out another mailing January 2, 1997.

 S2IBIS2
 Bob Ross reported that s2ibis2_version1.0, the first non-beta release is on
 vhdl.org under /pub/ibis/s2ibis.

 DAC97 PLANNING
 Bob Ross initiated discussion regarding participation in Joint EDA
 standards booth.  Bob suggested minimum level (poster) for $2500.  Dave
 Moxely asked who would staff it, and Patti Rusher indicated that it would
 be staffed by EDA people.  
 
 Voted that we sign the commitment letter.
 
 AR - Bob Ross send the commitment letter to Patti Rusher.

 IEC PROGRESS
 Patti Rusher indicated that IBIS is being circulated internationally.

 COOKBOOK for 2.1
 Chris Rokusek had sent a note requesting vendors supply the best test loads
 for Waveform based tables.  Arpad Muranyi lead the discussion questioning
 dependency base on one or two resistor loads.  Dileep Divekar was concerned 
 that results based on 50 ohms would not be accurate at, say 80 ohms.  Different
 simulators may give different results based on algorithms.  The nature of IBIS 
 models is that it has data, but the simulator algorithms determine the
 operation.  The discussion evolved to should simulator algorithms be
 standardized?  The ultimate reference is the transition characteristics of
 device itself, which cannot be standardized as an algorithm for the IBIS 
 elements.  The waveform data in a model should match the results for that
 load, so the question is what are the best loads be specified?  Stephen Peters
 felt this is a cookbook issue concerning recommendations.  Bob Ross felt
 50 ohms to ground and Vcc provided the best load.  One guidance would be
 to use resistive loads since loads with capacitance do not give good results
 in transmission line environments.  

 AR - Simulator Vendors send to Chris Rokusek [email-masked] the best test
 loads for the simulator and a test load for validation.

 PARSER BUG DISCUSSION 
 In response to a parser error when reserved keywords (power, gnd, nc, na)
 were used as pin numbers, the parser reported an error.  Syed Huq felt this
 was correct, Bob Ross felt that is was incorrect and not the intent.  This
 problem exists both in ibis_chk for Version 1.1 and ibischk2 for Version 2.1.
 After some discussion we felt this was a parser bug.

 AR - Bob Ross file a parser bug report.

 IBIS VERSION 3.0 RATIFICATION
 Stephen Peters raised the question of whether Version 3.0 would be ratified
 at the face-to-face meeting.  A number of BIRDS have been approved including
 Buffer selection, Package model extension, Stored Charge, Specification
 enhancements.  The Multi-staged switching and electrical interconnect
 descriptions are pending.  Arpad Muranyi would like to see quick switch
 series resistance.  A proposal is needed if it is to be included.  After 
 some discussion of the logistics, the goal will be to have all of the BIRDS 
 for Version 3.0 approved by the face-to-face meeting.

 BIRD35.2 - MULTI-STAGED OUTPUTS (VOTE)
 Bob Ross introduced BIRD35.2 proposing a scheduling method for calling other
 models for multi-staged output.  
 
 Bob Ross would add to the BIRD35.2 a recommendation that the golden waveform
 also be included in the [Model] description from which [Driver Schedule]  
 is called.  It could serve as a reference, although it would not be used.  
 This would be in the Usage Rules to produce BIRD35.3.

 Arpad Muranyi has two cases sent by Jon Powell showing a compelling need for
 this capability.  (A 3.3V and 5V driver pair, and TTL/CMOS driver pair)  Other
 needs could not be discussed, but it was stressed that multi-staged switching
 was embedded in driver architectures.

 BIRD35.3 was approved 6 to 1 with Dileep Divekar dissenting.

 We discussed whether we would approve this with dissent - first for IBIS.
 We agreed to keeping this approved, but with further discussion as part of
 Version 3.0 adoption.

 PACKAGE COMMITTEE REPORT
 Stephen Peters reported that Dileep Divekar's comments were being considered.  
 The syntax was focused on a single line model.  It has node based descriptions.
 Coupled models are under discussion.

 Bob Ross indicated that coupled models would probably be too controversial
 to standardize.  So single ground models would be used.  The focus of
 the effort is to wrap up BIRD36 for reissue.
 
 AR - Stephen Peters set up the Package Committee meeting again for Friday,
 8:30 AM to 10 AM.

 PARSER ADDITIONS FOR NUMERICAL CHECKING
 (Not Discussed)

 BIRD40 - SPECIFICATION ENHANCEMENT
 Bob Ross introduced BIRD40 in response to a RAIL committee request that
 the overshoot names in both IBIS and RAIL be different since they have 
 different definitions.  The only change is Overshoot_high and Overshoot
 low be changed to S_overshoot_high and S_overshoot_low.  Dave Moxley had
 questioned the similarity of words with different meanings at the last
 IBIS meeting.  
 
 BIRD40 will be scheduled for vote at the next meeting.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next meeting is on Friday, January 10, 1996, 8:00 A.M. to 9:55 A.M.
 BIRD40 is scheduled for a vote.
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Transmission-Line Products Manager, Quad Design
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Vacant

 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an e-mail request to the automatic 
 archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================