Subject: LEX / YACC parser for ibisv2.1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 96 08:54:26 EST

Folks,

There has been some mail regarding a formal definition for the ibis v2.1
grammar.

At North Carolina State University we developed the spice-to-ibis converter
using a parser using flex and bison. flex and bison are the gnu (public
domain) versions of lex and yacc and are available for all know systems.
(dos, all unix, macintosh etc etc.) The only problem is that
it uses the first generation golden parser header files.  The final
version of the header files were so radically changed from the first version
that we were not able to make the necessary changes in time to do a timely
release of s2ibis v2.  Anyway ... this could be the best place to start.

Parsing an input file to s2ibis is very similar to parsing 
a *.ibs file. I wrote the parser originally to parse ibis v2.1 *.ibs
files but when the golden parser project was funded I ceased development.
It was resurrected as the s2ibis v2 parser.

The procedure that could be followed is
  1.  Convert s2ibis to use the new golden parser header files
  2.  Update the s2ibis parser to become an ibis parser.

So, how will this be done.  A volunteer prepared to devote 1-2 months of his
life?  Student labor (I may be able to arange this with a few $k's)? Pay
someone per the golden parser model?

Michael Steer
IBIS Librarian