Subject: REVISED IBIS VERSION 2.1

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 15:01 PST

To IBIS Reflector:

In response to a very good editorial review, a revised IBIS Version 2.1
now resides in /pub/ibis/ver2.1/ver2_1.txt and also is accessable on the
new Web page.  The older version is saved in the aug95 subdirectory.
Below is a letter documenting most of the editorial changes that were not
covered by the review.

Bob Ross
Interconnectix, Inc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 15, 1996

Jeanne Warner
Electronic Industries Association
2500 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22201

Dear Jeanne: 

Enclosed is a copy of the reviewer's comments and a revised copy of the
technical portion of Version 2.1 of ANSI/EIA-656.  Both copies have changes
below highlighted.

Also enclosed is a DOS disk which includes:

   00readme    This document
   ver2_1.ibs  SECTION 6 Version 2.1 Technical Portion of ANSI/EIA-656

We accept all of the suggestions except those which relate to separating
the numbers from the scaling units (e.g., 5mV versus 5 mV) in the 
actual examples only.  It is acceptable common practice in computer
processing to allow no space.

Furthermore, we suggest eliminating entirely annex A.  Annex A was included
for the formal letter ballot process only.  The changes that were documented
were included in the main text and are still included.

We have attempted to make all of the changes in a consistent manner, even
if they were not marked by the reviewer (in a few instances).  We have
also made a few additional corrections for consistency reasons, and 
have recorded them below for your reference.

PRELIMINARY MATERIAL

We accept All of the reviewers corrections.

Page i:  We suggest removing Appendix ... 35 entirely.

Page 2, "5 Anomalies" section:  We would delete the existing section
entirely, and include a statement to say "Version 2.1 of the IBIS specification
has no anomalies."

SECTION 6 Changes on Version 2.1 of I/O Buffer ....

Page 3:  We have made a global change from August 22, 1995 to December 13,
1995 to capture the date of ANSI/EIA-656 acceptance.  

We have changed the wording to plural tense at the question: "... allowing
simulation vendors to derive models compatible with their own products."

Pages 4, 5:  [Comment char] changed to [Comment Char] for consistency of
presentation of keywords.  Thys change is also made in one occurance in
the PACKAGE MODELING section.  [File name] changed to [File Name] also for
consistency of presentation of keywords.

Page 6:  Copyright 1994 changed to Copyright 1995 to be consistent with
the December 13, 1995 date.

Page 7:  The suggested global changes were NOT adopted because the existing
syntax in the examples is consistent with acceptable computer processing
formats and are required for correct operation.

Page 11:  Additional instances were discovered in the text: 0 V and 0 ns.
In the [Diff Pin] example, the units in the comments were deleted in 
3 locations because there was not room for separation and because they
were not needed.

Page 12:  Additional instances for separations: 0 mA and 0 mA

Page 14:  Four additional instances for separations: 0 V

Page 19:  We changed all "Ohm" in the example to "ohm", but did
not separate the units.

Page 20:  We corrected the unexpected line wrap of "the waveform"

Note Pages 22-30 were missing in our review copy.  We corrected
(PGAs.) to (PGAs).

Pages 32, 34:  All instances of 50C, 0C and 100C were changed to 50 deg C,
0 deg C and 100 deg C as the closest approximation to the suggested
change.  The text fonts do not support the degree symbol.

We also changed 2.2V ot 2.2 V.

Page 33:  We also changed -2V to -2 V.

We inserted a missing blank line before section d.

ANNEX SECTION

We suggest deleting this entire section.  It is not relevant for the final
published version of ANSI/EIA-656 because all of the suggested changes are
included in the body of the standard.

Bob Ross
EIA/IBIS Open Forum Secretary
Interconnectix, Inc.
(503) 603-2523

cc:  Patti Rusher
     IBIS Reflector