Subject: IBIS Minutes 7/19/96

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 96 08:35 PDT

DATE: July 23, 1996

 SUBJECT: 7/19/96 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
 
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1996 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Hank Herrmann*, Tim Minnick*, Russ Moser
 Cadence Design                 C. Kumar
 Contec CAE, Ltd.               Dileep Divekar*, Norio Matsui, Antonis Orphanou
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES                        Olaf Rethmeier, Ralf Bruening
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Will Hobbs, Arpad Muranyi*,
				John Keifer, Aaron Tang, Duane Quiet,
				[Donald Telian], Jim Kruchowski
 Interconnectix, Inc.           Bob Ross*, Chris Reid
 Meta-Software                  (Sanjay Gangal)
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao, Hoang Nguyen
 Motorola                       Ahmed Omer*
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Donald Snyder, Chune-Sin Yeh,
				Bill Aronson
 NCR (formerly ATT-GIS)         Dave Moxley*, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto),
 Quad Design                    Jon Powell*, Chris Rokusek
 Texas Instruments              Roger Cline, Ben Andresen, Sri Jandhyala,
				Tareq Shahwan, Dan Phipps
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             Celso Faia*
 VLSI Technology                Dick Ulmer, Sung Oh, Swami Gangadharan,
				Daniel Kim, Tom Dockery, D.C. Sessions*,
                                Hrish Patel*
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie)
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1996:
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick
 Altera                         Vadim von Brzeski
 Apteq Design System            Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Mark Leonard
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu*
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 IC Works                       Eric Chen
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                       
 MicroSim                       Ralph Perez
 Molex                          Gus Panella
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 Oki Semiconductor              Tom Chao
 Philips Semiconductor          Mike Magdaluyo
 Rockwell Collins               Thomas Thurman
 S3, Inc.                       Sarathy Sribhashyam, Phap Duong    
 Seimans Nixdorf                Arnaud Lacariere
 Symmetry                       Andy Hughes
 Tektronix, Inc.                Brock Hannibal
 TRW & Free Model Foundation    Robert Harrison
 Veribest                       Ian Dodd, David Wiens
 VTC, Inc.                      Bob Ward
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principle
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who have joined another organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as 
 follows:

      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      8/16/96    (916) 356-9200   2-88344          6838524  
      9/6/96     (916) 356-9200   2-88345          4511183 
			 
 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS
 Hrish Patel joined for the first time from VLSI Technology to become familiar
 with IBIS, since he will be working on IBIS models.

 EIA MEMBERSHIP AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Patti Rusher's June 30, 1996 report shows $10,468.  Several thousand dollars
 of DAC meeting and other item expenses are expected to show up in the July
 31, 1996 report.  Invoices are still being tracked for DEC and Veribest
 memberships.

 MINUTES REPORT, MISC.
 No change.  All AR's have been dealt with.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Jon Powell has agreed to handle the system administrative aspect of the
 IBIS vhdl.org account (Membership additions, deletions, response to 
 problems, questions, and posting material) while Bob Ross is on vacation
 August 1 through August 13.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Syed Huq plans to add links in the EIA/IBIS home page to public IBIS model
 databases that Jon Powell provided.  Jon has checked this out and they 
 appear good.  (Patti Rusher reports over 2500 hits on the EIA/IBIS home 
 page.)

 AR - Syed Huq activate links to Jon Powell's page from EIA/IBIS Home page.
  
 Jon Powell has requested that anyone who knows of additional IBIS models
 available on Web sites to forward information to him.

 (Late news - Brian Johnson of Micron Technology reports that Micron models
 are available on http://www.micron.com/cgi-bin/model.  A one-time registration
 is required; no password or username is needed.)

 NEW MODELS
 The new 200 MHz PentiumPro model files have been put in the Intel directory,
 replacing the previous models.

 Jon Powell reports receiving a pending Intel directory update from Michael
 Steer.  Jon will work with Arpad on current contents.  Anyone else who
 has updated information should work with Jon.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Stephen Peters - Prague Conference Report
 Bob Ross - Secretary Position
 Bob Ross - Specification Enhancements Discussion

 IEC EXPRESS FUNDING PROGRESS
 Patti Rusher reports further progress in helping fund an IBIS Express model
 needed for IEC progress.  DARPA funding should go to US organizations.
 EIA itself cannot accept funding, but an auxiliary corporation "EIA Server
 Corporation" may be able to accept and distribute money.  Patti needs to
 gather all of the standards funding requests including items from DIE into
 one comprehensive proposal.  She plans to draft a proposal next week for legal
 review.

 EE TIMES ARTICLE
 EE Times has requested through Patti Rusher an IBIS article for the Sept. 2
 issue signal-integrity special report.  Bob Ross, Jon Powell and Syed Huq
 are working on the article.  The article will be basic, but will provide more
 emphasis on IBIS model sources and utilities than in other overview articles.

 SECRETARY
 Bob Ross followed up on the need for the IBIS Secretary position to be
 filled.  Stephen Peters suggested that the duties by split up.  Bob stated
 that the primary need is still to produce the minutes.  Several people
 already help out taking notes.  Bob will handle this aspect of the Secretary
 position until someone else volunteers.

 PRAGUE CONFERENCE
 Stephen Peters and Will Hobbs attended a European CAD Standards Conference
 from July 6 - 12, 1996.  They presented "Applying Standards to Increase 
 Model Availability - Two Case Studies, IBIS and OMF".  They took the model 
 supplier point of view.  HDL, AVHDL, Vital and OMF generated the most
 interest.

 They also had a opportunity to discuss Express funding with Hilary Kahn.
 The cost estimates remain the same.

 EDIF REVIEW
 Bob Ross reports he is working with Alan Williams of the University of
 Manchester concerning reporting passive R, L, C element values to simulators,
 per the IBIS Committee technical comment.

 BIRD34.1 - STORED CHARGE EFFECT
 Bob Ross summarized the primary assumptions that the proposed transit time
 format is similar to the Spice TT diode parameter and that the clamping 
 diodes produce the major effect in the clamping regions.  D.C. Sessions
 stated that many clamping diodes are MOS, not bipolar.  He is investigating
 the significance of this difference.  So the voltage dependent capacitor
 may be appropriate to support all technologies.  Further discussion is
 expected on BIRD34.1.

 AR - Anyone with information on stored charge effects in MOS devices provide
 it to D.C. Sessions.

 BIRD35.1 - MULTI-STAGED OUTPUTS
 Bob Ross summarized the [Rising Sequence] and [Falling Sequence] tables.
 Jon Powell reviewed the revised syntax and suggests further simplification
 based on calling stages by Model name.  This avoids introducing the numbered
 table extensions in Bob's proposal.  One concern is to truly isolate those
 subparameters which apply for the combined model, versus those that apply
 to the individual stage.  The "master driver" could still be used to 
 capture all models and parameters and sequencing in one area to avoid
 scattering the information throughout a .ibs file.

 Stephen Peters suggested a composite [Rising Waveform] and [Falling Waveform]
 be provided.  Jon stated, that if this were done, it would be for checking
 only since it contains less information than the detail needed by individual
 stages.

 AR - Bob Ross work with Jon Powell concerning syntax changes and produce
 BIRD35.2.

 BIRD36 - ELECTRICAL BOARD DESCRIPTION
 Since Stephen Peters had just returned, discussion on this was deferred.
 Bob Ross commented that he had talked with and agreed with Hank Herrmann
 on most of the points that Hank had raised.  One point of disagreement 
 regarded putting an actual (large) size limit on the number of external
 pins.  

 BIRD37 - ENHANCEMENT OT THE PACKAGE MODEL SPECIFICATION
 Bob Ross asked whether it was ready for vote.  Jon Powell suggested that
 votes on BIRDs be announced in the agenda since there are a number of
 technical issues to review.

 Bob wanted to check that new FORK term did not use the "/" terminator, 
 reserved only for the "Len .... /" syntax.  Hank Herrmann suggested the NC
 addition.  However, same functionality is provided using "Len = 0 /" null
 element.  Bob suggested that BIRD37 include the approved BIRD28.3 example
 and add the FORK subparameter to fully illustrate the syntax extension.   

 AR - Stephen Peters provide an upgraded BIRD37.1 which addresses these
 concerns for vote at the next meeting.

 BIRD38 (EGG11) - ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM VOLTAGE
 Jon Fitzpatrick was not present, so discussion was deferred.  Bob Ross 
 felt that this is a very complex specification BIRD needing further discussion.
 The extensions would definitely be optional.

 EGG10 - PARSER ADDITIONS FOR NUMERICAL CHECKING
 Bob Ross acknowledged getting the statistical data from Chris Rokusek concerning
 IBIS parameters on models stored on vhdl.org.  Chris now needs to examine
 this and provide proposed values for the parser tests 1-5.

 AR - Chris Rokusek propose tests and test limit values.  

 Stephen Peters asked whether these tests would be for Version 3.0.  Bob
 indicated that this has not been decided.  They could also be an upgrade
 to ibischk2.  Some comparison tests should be very easy.  Others such as
 those that test compatibility of V/T table voltages with V/I tables could
 require computational work.

 SERIES RESISTOR
 Arpad Muranyi discussed further the series element ideas.  It could be a
 controlled 3-terminal device with a set of tables, similar to transistor
 device characterizations.  One of the major needs is for "Quick Switch" (e.g.,
 CBT technology from Texas Instruments) devices which can connect or disconnect
 paths.  The MOS on path may be 1 to 10 ohms, but there may be additional
 analog characteristics.  Current electrical simulators do not include digital
 control logic, so Jon Powell felt the focus should be more on 2-terminal
 series elements with, perhaps, a 3.3 V and 5 V mode.  Series elements can
 include diodes, resistors, EMI filters, etc.  So, some form of I/V tables may
 still be needed.  The devices could also be modeled with an off and an on
 state.  Currently there is no IBIS support in this area.  The only EDA vendor
 support uses their own syntax.  While the Electrical Board Extensions could be
 used, a direct, simpler method is more appropriate.  

 AR - Arpad Muranyi provide a proposal in order to continue this as an agenda
 item.

 SPECIFICATION PARAMETER ENHANCEMENTS
 Bob Ross indicated that BIRD38 dealt with Specification data similar to
 Vinh and Vinl and not electrical characterization data.  There have been
 a number of requests for specification parameters, and such extensions
 are on the priority list for Version 3.0.  Bob asked for ideas.

 Ahmed Omer stated that an input delta-time limit is needed for the input
 thresholds to assure maximum energy limits are not exceeded.  

 AR - Ahmed Omer make a proposal for dealing with these energy limit.

 Bob added hystersis thresholds, CMOS style input thresholds that are a 
 percentage of Vcc, and overshoot (high and low) limits are possible 
 additions.  

 On both the input and output sides, the reference points for signal
 integrity and timing measurements can be at the DIE or at the PAD for
 different applications.  Also, timing references may be at the PAD, but
 signal integrity references may be at the DIE for standard devices, but
 at the PAD for ASICs.

 Jon Powell suggested that a committee similar to the package committee
 be formed off-line to collect the parameters.  Bob Ross plans to initiate
 a proposal.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next meeting is on Friday, August 16, 1996, 8:00 A.M. to 9:55 A.M., four
 weeks from now because of some conflicting commitments.  BIRD37.1 is
 scheduled for vote.
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix, Inc.
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Transmission-Line Products Manager, Quad Design
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Vacant

 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an e-mail request to the automatic 
 archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================