Subject: RLC parameters for passive devices in EDIF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:24:20 -0500

Folks,

Preface :
- The IBIS packaging subcommittee has submitted a proposal to the EDIF
group to support :
  - Active part models using IBIS references within EDIF
  - Passive part models using RLC parameters within EDIF

In working through our proposal to the EDIF folks to support passive
devices, the following 
issues have come up :

- Are the following parameters sufficient : Resistance1, Resistance2,
Capacitance, Inductance
- Are there any illegal combinations of these parameters?
  - (e.g. valid combinations include Resistance1/Resistance2 for a
Thevenin terminator; 
    Resistance1/Capacitance for a RC terminator; Resistance1 for a
series resistor; etc.)
- What is the valid value range for these values? 
  - The Golden Parser currently allows any value for RLCs in IBIS.

Thanks for any input...

David Wiens
VeriBest Inc.
303-581-2306

---

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 18:50 PDT

David:

The questions raised were good, and I am not sure I have an answer.
Here are some points to consider.

IBIS references in EDIF to Components or Models can also refer to 
Terminator Models which are composed of passive elements.  So some
more complicated terminator configurations that IBIS would allow
can be referenced.  These would include combination of elements,
package effects, and even internal clamps.  So values in the EDIF
format may not be available for these.

The Terminator Topology is fixed in IBIS.  IBIS does not format all possible
part part topologies.  Therefore, it makes sense to have values of 
components (single R, L, C) available individually.  Having 2 resistors
is a bonus.

To the extent that we would extract Terminator information, the 2 resistors
and 1 capacitor would cover the practical cases.  However, combined elements 
in the fixed topology could support up to 4 resistors ([Rgnd], [Rpower],
[Rac], R_pkg), 2 capacitors ([Cac], C_pkg), and 1 inductor (L_pkg).  I think
this would be to complicated.  The true Series resistor is not formmated
in IBIS, just an R_pkg element.

With respect to values, I could support having them restricted to greater
than or equal to 0.

At this point I am open to recommendations on how to proceed.  General
component value identification with some limited terminator topology
identification might be the best way to go.

Bob Ross
Interconnectix, Inc.

> From: [email-masked]

> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RLC parameters for passive devices in EDIF
> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 13:24:20 -0500