Subject: IBIS MINUTES 3/8/96

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 17:14 PST

DATE:    March 12, 1996
 
 SUBJECT: 3/8/96 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
 
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1996 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Hank Herrmann*
 Cadence Design                 C. Kumar*
 Contec CAE, Ltd.               Dileep Divekar*, Norio Matsui
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli*
 IBM                            (Jay Diepenbrock)
 INCASES                        Olaf Rethmeier*
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Will Hobbs*, Arpad Muranyi*,
				John Keifer, Aaron Tang, Duane Quiet,
				Donald Telian, Jim Kruchowski
 Interconnectix, Inc.           Bob Ross*
 Meta-Software                  (Les Spruiell)
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao
 Motorola                       (Ron Werner)
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Donald Snyder, Chune-Sin Yeh
 NCR (formerly ATT-GIS)         Dave Moxley*, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto),
 Quad Design                    Jon Powell*, Chris Rokusek
 Quantic Labs                   (Mike Ventham)
 Tanner Research, Inc.          (Scott Wedge)
 Texas Instruments              Roger Cline, Ben Andresen, Sri Jandhyala,
				Tareq Shahwan, Dan Phipps
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             Celso Faia*
 VLSI Technology                Dick Ulmer, Sung Oh*, Swami Gangadharan,
				Daniel Kim, Tom Dockery
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie)
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1996:
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick
 Altera                         Vadim von Brzeski
 Apteq Design System            Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Mark Leonard
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu
 EIA                            Patti Rusher
 IC Works                       Eric Chen
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                       
 MicroSim                       Ralph Perez
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 Oki Semiconductor              Tom Chao*
 S3, Inc.                       Sarathy Sribhashyam, Phap Duong    
 Seimans Nixdorf                Arnaud Lacariere
 Tektronix, Inc.                Brock Hannibal
 TRW & Free Model Foundation    Robert Harrison
 Veribest/Integraph             Ian Dodd*, David Wiens*
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principle
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 
 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as 
 follows:

      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      3/29/96    (916) 356-9200   1-55737          1119667

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS
 Tom Chao of Oki Semiconductor introduced himself and indicated that Oki 
 will be making IBIS models for their ASICs.

 EIA MEMBERSHIP AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Hank Herrmann reported that AMP is now a full IBIS member.
 No treasurer's report was available.

 MINUTES REPORT, MISC.
 Jim Kruchowski first name correction in m012969.txt and m021696.txt minutes.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 A simple IBIS default home page now exists on 

     http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/

 which is intended to be accessed by the top level vhdl.org.  It consists
 of some background information and a link to the IBIS directories, the
 official EIA/IBIS home page, and the RAIL directories.

 Bob Ross would like electronic copies of the Face to Face meeting slides
 sent to him for putting on vhdl.org.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 In EDN, March 1, 1996, pg. 50, winibis by Hyperlynx is mentioned.

 In EE Times, February 26, 1996. pg. 88, IBIS is mentioned in a Quad Design
 introduction writeup.

 NEW MODELS
 Sung Oh reports that VLSI now has dozens of IBIS models available.  To get
 a list, e-mail

      [email-masked] 

 Syed Huq suggested that Sung also provide a list of available models on 
 vhdl.org.  He can contact Michael Steer to have it set up.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 None

 EIA/IBIS 1996 MEMBERSHIP
 AR - Bob Ross find from Patti Rusher who now are official EIA/IBIS members
 for 1996.  Dave Moxley of NCR and Dileep Divekar of Contec Microelectronics
 still report not receiving the revised invoice or FAX.

 DAC STANDARDS BOOTH
 Jon Powell proposed all official member companies generate their own logo
 art on 8.5 inch by 11 inch paper with Velcro backing to stick on a poster
 wall.  All members can put this in an array around a central IBIS logo
 and add any message such as "see us at booth 435".  Jon says that you 
 can just print the artwork using a color printer and take it to a print
 shop and have them mount the artwork on a poster board with Velcro backing.

 Alternatively, Jon can make the posters from the existing supplied logos.
 He can still do so for those who request it.  However, the preference is
 for each company to make their own posters.

 AR - Everyone making posters for DAC please send them to Jon Powell prior to 
 DAC.

 Bob Ross suggested that non-EIA/IBIS members who are producing IBIS models
 would also be permitted to have a poster displayed.

 Will Hobbs suggested "I Speak IBIS" badges.  Jon Powell will look into this.
 This seemed like a very good idea and Jon thinks it will be easy to do.

 ANSI/EIA-656 INTERNATIONAL RATIFICATION
 Patti Rusher has received a response request regarding pending IBIS
 International ratification.  The request was to put IBIS into an Express-G
 format.  This appears to be a defacto requirement for EDA standards, such
 as EDIF 4 0 0.  The Express format produces graphical relationships and
 produces a self consistent document from which a parser can easily be
 developed.

 It is still not known what the total impact is.  We appear to have three
 options:

 Push of International Standardization based on its defacto acceptance and
 broad support without an Express representation.

 Attempt to do an Express representation through any number of resources
 including interested members, university project, and ARPA funding of a
 contractor.

 Withdraw the request for international standardization.

 We are still trying to understand the impact and scope, since the committee
 representatives are not familiar with Express. 

 AR - Bob Ross invite the commentors to the next IBIS meeting for their
 direct knowledge and input on the issue. 

 AR - Bob Ross and Will Hobbs will post the comments related to Express-G
 on the reflector so we can get other opinions.

 ANSI/EIA-656 PUBLICATION
 No further status was available.  The standard is planned to be available
 through Global Engineering Documents.

 IBIS ROSTER UPDATE
 Bob Ross reported that the 1996 roster is on vhdl.org.  It contains all of
 the official member companies plus the other companies that have responded.
 Others who have not responded have been removed.  The roster will continue
 to be updated as new responses come in.  The old roster is archived.

 EIA WEB UPDATE
 Syed Huq reported that the EIA/IBIS home page counters are now working on
 all pages.  He has also added revision numbers to all pages.  He has
 been receiving logo updates and new logos from Cadence, Incases, TI, NCR,
 Mentor Graphics.  VLSI logo has not been received by Jon Powell, and Sung
 Oh will look into this.  Currently Mentor is not a member company so their       
 logo would not be permitted.  Once the updates are made (including) some
 new home page links, Syed will announce the Home page.  Syed thanks EIA
 for their support.

 Syed would also like to put a model tools section to reference s2ibis
 and s2iplt, winibis, the cookbook and the parsers.  The committee endorsed
 this expansion.

 GOLDEN PARSER UPDATE
 Bob Ross formally submitted the three bugs through the newly established
 parser reporting system before we issue a parser correction.  A bug 
 directory exists, and a BUG form is available there.  These old bugs
 consist of multiple disclaimers, missing legal suffixes in package
 model matrix data, and failure to detect a minor subparameter syntax
 error under [Model].  The first and third error does not exist in the
 original ibis_chk utility.  In addition, we would like to see the
 parser version number printed so people know which parser is being used
 (e.g., Version 2.1.10)
 
 Unfortunately, there is no formal validation suite.  However, the fixes
 should be minor and are important for Specification compliance.  Additions
 to the parser as proposed in EGG10 (later) will not be included.

 AR - Bob Ross contact Paul Munsey about the time/cost of the fixes.

 SPICE TO IBIS VERSION 1.2, 2.1
 AR - Bob Ross will seek further information regarding the status of the
 project.  
 
 Several bugs have been submitted from various sources, but they are not on 
 a formal list.  Also Bob reported a VERSION 1.2 bug regarding handling
 of the Pullup Table in the Clamping region - a double counting of the
 clamping current.

 It was suggested that the bug tracking system be expanded to include
 s2ibis bugs.  Subdirectories for each utility can be established.  The
 general e-mail address for submittal can be changed to [email-masked].

 PRIORITIES FOR 1996
 Will Hobbs deferred further discussion of priorities for 1996.  Instead,
 he presented the list of priorities from the last meeting.
 
 The tabulated list is shown:
   validation (post 4 or 5 reality checks and add to parser)
   extended package models (electrical and physical)
   diodes
   connectors
   staggered turn-on buffers
   feedback
   scaling
   better handling of SSO
   clarification of worst case and best case corners
   specification parameters (hysteresis, overshoot, etc.)
   cookbook (may contain validation and corners)
   new overview
   more models ...

 BIRD33 (EGG8) - PHYSICAL PACKAGE DISCUSSION
 Olaf Rethmeier indicated that computer problems have been fixed and the
 SULTAN proposal was available for downloading.  Bob Ross also put copies
 on vhdl.org under /pub/ibis/sultan.  His version did not print, however.
 (The problem was discovered later to the size A4 statement in line
 750 which can be deleted.)

 The major discussion centered around Kellee Crisafulli's proposal and also 
 on the fact that there are several other existing proposals.  Kellee's
 proposal is expected to be simpler than SULTAN, EDIF, etc., and is intended
 to be user easier to use.  C. Kumar suggested that an IBIS subset of EDIF
 could meet the needs - if it were possible to generate.  Ian Dodd had a
 question on whether EDIF required a royalty payment.  Further discussion
 concerned the completeness of Kellee's proposal since it does not include
 arbitrary shaped or meshed planes.  Stephen Peters questioned what were
 the limitations.

 AR - Kellee Crisafulli contact Patti Rusher concerning royalties on EDIF
 and also on the availability of EDIF 4 0 0 itself.
 [Done - not required, and Patti will make it available.]

 Will Hobbs proposed a subgroup to get the physical package discussion off
 center.  Such a group was formed and consists of Stephen Peters, C. Kumar,
 Olaf Rethmeier, Jon Powell, Ian Dodd, and Kellee Crisafulli.  The first 
 meeting will be Friday, March 15, 1996, and Stephen will set up the 
 conference call. After some discussion, the groups focus will be to address
 the physical representation first.  Some eventual choices may be to propose
 BIRD33, to propose an existing representation such as SULTAN or EDIF, or to
 propose a subset of an existing representation.  It will report back at the
 next meeting.  The group can also address the electrical description problem,
 but it's priority is to deal with the physical description issue first.

 BIRD31 - CONNECTOR MODELS
 No report.  Bob Ross plans to issue BIRD31.1

 BIRD32  PACKAGE MODEL ENHANCEMENT
 No update from Stephen Peters.  C. Kumar is still interested in a Spice-
 like description.  However, Jon Powell proposed a proven Quad Design
 structure also be considered.  His concern continues to be properly
 describing the inductive coupling polarity of package models.  This 
 discussion can be carried by the Physical package subcommittee.

 BIRD34 (EGG9) - HANDLING STORED CHARGE
 Bob Ross described BIRD34 as an extension of the old EGG9 proposal.  It
 also includes the assumed formulas and a TT extraction method description 
 which produces the effective value.  The method is intended to mimic a 
 real signal.  The description was very unclear to Stephen Peters, so
 it needs to be redone and clarified.  Jon Powell has experimental support
 for modeling TT as long as the series resistance is not too large.  He has
 used C vs. V tables to produce good correlation.

 EGG10 - PARSER ADDITIONS FOR NUMERICAL CHECKING
 In the brief time remaining, this topic was introduced.  Bob Ross indicated
 that the first proposal concerning monotonicity checks was not clear since
 there are both Warning and Error checks already in ibischk2 as a result of
 extensive past discussions.  It is not clear whether the request was for
 some new capability.  Bob also indicated that Stephen Peter's addition
 to give warning of such parameters as C_comp, C_pkg, etc., should be based
 on actual values, not the existence of suffixes, since numerical values
 can be extracted (such as with the monotonocity tests).

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next telephone meeting is set for Friday, March 29, 1996.

 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Will Hobbs (503) 264-4369, Fax (503) 264-4210
	     [email-masked]
	     Server Chipset System Validation Manager, Intel Corp.
	     2111 NE 28th M/S JF1-57, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA
 
 VICE CHAIR: Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Transmission-Line Products Manager, Quad Design
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix, Inc.
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page:

   http://www.eia.org/eig/ibis/ibis.htm

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an e-mail request to the automatic 
 archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================