Subject: Response to EDIF 3 9 9 proposal from the IBIS Open Forum

From: "Wiens, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 15:07:30 -0500

To the EDIF Technical Experts Group :

The IBIS Open Forum has reviewed the EDIF 3 9 9 proposed standard for
use in data transfer 
between CAD layout and signal integrity simulation tools. We need to be
able to transfer the
following data :
1. Physical topology 
2. Active part data
3. Passive part data

We have concluded that the current EDIF proposal more than adequately
supports our needs
for physical topology definition. However, the following issues were
raised by the group : 

1.  To support active parts, we need a link to an IBIS model
description. We request 
     consideration of IBIS model files as External Libraries, with the
pointer to them 
     residing in the EDIF 'Part' type. IBIS models are referenced by
component name, and 
     more than one model can reside in one IBIS file, but multiple files
may also be used.
     We are not requesting that the IBIS format be considered as a
subset of EDIF.

2. To support passive parts, we need values for resistance, capacitance,
and inductance
    in the EDIF 'Part' type. All or none of these values may exist for a
part.

While we understand that these issues can probably be solved using
name/value 'Properties'
types, we request that they be added to the specification to avoid
misinterpretations during 
translation.

Thank you for your consideration of these issues. This request will also
be submitted to the
EIA on paper per EIA procedures.

For further information, please contact :
- Stephen Peters ([email-masked])
- David Wiens ([email-masked])