Subject: IBIS Express Representation

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 16:10 PDT

To IBIS Committee:

I have put an Express representation of IBIS Version 2.0 that was done in
June of 1994 on vhdl.org under /pub/ibis/wip along with a permission
document allowing people to use the document for review and standardization
activities.  The "ibisexpr.ps.Z" has been transformed to make it suitable
for US Letter-sized printing.

Thanks to Olaf Rethmeier for originally pointing out the existence of this
document.  It serves as a very good example of the Express format.  The
document is 69 pages with definitions, relationships and graphical
representations.

I plan to provide a very thorough technical review of the contents with
the expectation that it be upgraded to represent IBIS Version 2.1.  Anyone
else is welcome to review the document and provide comments.  Please send
me any of your comments.

Note, the pending EDIF 4 0 0 uses an Express representation.  Attached is
some recent correspondence related to these matters.

Bob Ross
Interconnectix, Inc.

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: [email-masked] at SMTPGATE
Date: 4/24/96 12:55PM
To: Will Hobbs at JFCCM16
Subject: Re:  Express format for IBIS/EIA-656
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan Williams, who works in my research group, has passed your message 
on to me. As I am sure you are aware, here in Manchester we are closely 
involved in information modelling and in the development of
standards such as EDIF. We have been aware of IBIS for some time 
(and as a member of TC93 and convenor of WG3 - I was indeed aware 
of the standarization route being followed).
I am not able to commit much of Alan's time directly to new modelling 
work at present (he is full time on another contract), but we will
of course be delighted to help as much as we can. We feel that the model 
Alan did needs to be properly reviewed by IBIS experts as soon as possible - 
and we are happy to take comments and try where we can to accommodate
them. If it turns out that a lot needs to be done to get the IBIS model 
fully correct, we will need to revisit the topic.
Longer term it seems a good idea to help ensure that EDIF and IBIS are 
linked appropriately so I suspect we should be keeping in touch about that 
too.
Hope this helps
Hilary Kahn

>From [email-masked] Tue Apr 23 22:21:06 1996 
>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 14:18:00 PDT
>From: Will Hobbs <[email-masked]> 
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: Express format for IBIS/EIA-656 
>Content-Length: 925
>
>
>Alan,
>
>Olaf Rethmeier of Incases in Germany found that you have created an 
>Express formatted version of IBIS V2.0. As you know (being a principal 
>reviewer), we have achieved U.S. standardization of the specification, 
>and it is now known as ANSI EIA-656. We have filed for international 
>ratification (proposal TC-93) for the spec and received the feedback 
>that an Express version is desirable. Bob Ross, our secretary, has 
>looked your document over and feels it is relatively complete and an 
>excellent starting point for the Express request, though it is for IBIS 
>2.0.
>
>Would you be willing for us to use your work as a basis for our 
>standardization work? Would you be interested in working with us to 
>bring it up to full EIA-656 completion?
>
>Bob Ross will contact you on technical matters if you are interested and 
>willing.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Will Hobbs
>Chair, EIA IBIS Committee and
>Chipset SV Manager, Intel Corp.
>------------- End Forwarded Message ------------- 
>
>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Professor Hilary J. Kahn
Director: EDIF Technical Centre
Dept. of Computer Science      Tel:  +44 161 275 6156 
University of Manchester       Fax:  +44 161 275 6280 
Oxford Road                    e-mail: [email-masked] 
Manchester M13 9PL
UK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------