Subject: IBIS MINUTES 3/29/96

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 16:11 PST

DATE: April 2, 1996

 SUBJECT: 3/29/96 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
 
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1996 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Hank Herrmann*
 Cadence Design                 C. Kumar*
 Contec CAE, Ltd.               Dileep Divekar, Norio Matsui
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES                        Olaf Rethmeier
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Will Hobbs*, Arpad Muranyi*,
				John Keifer, Aaron Tang, Duane Quiet,
				Donald Telian, Jim Kruchowski
 Interconnectix, Inc.           Bob Ross*
 Meta-Software                  (Les Spruiell)
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao
 Motorola                       Ahmed Omer*
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Donald Snyder, Chune-Sin Yeh
 NCR (formerly ATT-GIS)         Dave Moxley*, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto),
 Quad Design                    Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek*
 Quantic Labs                   (Mike Ventham)
 Tanner Research, Inc.          (Scott Wedge)
 Texas Instruments              Roger Cline, Ben Andresen, Sri Jandhyala,
				Tareq Shahwan, Dan Phipps
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             Celso Faia*
 VLSI Technology                Dick Ulmer, Sung Oh, Swami Gangadharan,
				Daniel Kim, Tom Dockery
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie)
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1996:
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick
 Altera                         Vadim von Brzeski
 Apteq Design System            Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Mark Leonard
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu*
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 IC Works                       Eric Chen
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                       
 MicroSim                       Ralph Perez
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 Oki Semiconductor              Tom Chao
 Rockwell Collins               Thomas Thurman*
 S3, Inc.                       Sarathy Sribhashyam, Phap Duong    
 Seimans Nixdorf                Arnaud Lacariere
 Tektronix, Inc.                Brock Hannibal
 TRW & Free Model Foundation    Robert Harrison
 Veribest/Integraph             Ian Dodd*, David Wiens
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principle
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 
 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as 
 follows:

      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      4/19/96    (916) 356-9200   2-66106          5576848
      5/10/96    (916) 356-9200   2-66109          4323275
 
 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS
 Ahmed Omer of Motorola in Austin, Texas joined primarily as "customer" of 
 IBIS models.  He is in a technology group within a semiconductor division 
 and is involved in interconnect software issues as related to packages and 
 boards.  He is also interested in more Motorola internal visibility and
 involvement with IBIS.

 Tom Thurman from Rockwell Collins Avionics and Communications Division joined
 us at 9:00 AM.  He introduced himself as the author of the ISO STEP AP210 
 (Electrical System Modeling) standard and a participant in the board layout/
 standardization field for many years.  He then presented an overview on 
 Express.  This discussion is captured in the technical section below.

 EIA MEMBERSHIP AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Patti Rusher reported that Cypress Semiconductor is now a full EIA/IBIS
 Member.  IBM (Austin) has decided not to renew the EIA membership. 

 Patti reaffirmed that AMP is a full IBIS member.  Jeff Chu of Digital
 Equipment and Ian Dodd of Veribest both indicated that they need the
 membership information for joining.

 No treasurer's report was given.

 MINUTES REPORT, MISC.
 Bob Ross reported that all AR's have been done, including inviting Tom
 Thurman for later discussions.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Patti Rusher reported that EDIF 3 9 9 is undergoing formal letter ballot
 review prior to adoption as EDIF 4 0 0.  She also mentioned that she was
 pleased to see the IBIS Spoken Here signs at the PCB Design Conference.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 In EDN, March 14, 1996, pg. 22 and EDN, March 28, 1996, pg. 87. both have
 new EDA tools introduction articles with abundant references to IBIS.

 AR - Patti Rusher on behalf of EIA write EDN that contrary to the March 28, 
 1996 article, IBIS has been formally ratified as an ANSI and EIA standard.

 NEW MODELS
 Bob Ross reports that VLSI has submitted a directory Michael Steer, although
 it has not been posted on vhdl.org yet.  As reported last time, the models
 will still be available by sending a request to

      [email-masked] 

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Proposal for Encouraging more Semiconductor Model development from Syed Huq.

 EIA/IBIS 1996 MEMBERSHIP
 Bob Ross has sent reminders to members for paying fees.  All have responded
 including some stating that fees have been paid.

 AR - Bob Ross continue working with Patti Rusher to monitor the payment
 for official EIA/IBIS Committee Membership.

 DAC STANDARDS BOOTH
 Patti Rusher stated that six committees will participate the DAC standards
 booth including EDIF and IBIS.  The IBIS Committee cost will be $2500.
 There will be a back lit logo for EIA/IBIS.  Because of uniformity in
 the booth the Velcro backed Company Logo board may have to be revised.
 She will work with Jon Powell concerning details.  She can work with the
 logos in .gif format.  Literature can be made available at the booth.

 Patti requested a poster briefly describing IBIS with about 10 bullet
 items.  

 AR - Bob Ross work with Will Hobbs to prepare the list and give to Patti
 by Friday, April 5.

 Will Hobbs stated that "I Speak IBIS" badges will be provided by Jon Powell
 for DAC.  One suggestion was "I Like IBIS" which brought memories of an
 old presidential campaign.

 ANSI/EIA-656 PUBLICATION
 Published version of the EIA/IBIS-656 have been mailed to members.  The
 standard will also available through Global Engineering Documents.

 EIA WEB UPDATE
 Syed Huq reported that the EIA/IBIS home page has been updated with logo
 additions/changes including some new home page links with NCR (from AT&T),
 INCASES, Cadence, and Texas Instruments.  Information from VLSI has not
 been received yet.

 Again Syed thanks EIA for their support.

 GOLDEN PARSER UPDATE
 Arpad Muranyi stated that Paul Munsey will drop off the updated IBISCHK2
 parser disks which have 4 corrections documented under /pub/ibis/bugs
 on vhdl.org.  Paul Munsey is to send the bill to EIA which we assume
 will be nominal.  While the changes involved corrections and one very
 minor enhancement, ample review time has passed that we feel appropriate
 to provide reasonable compensation for such updates which involve 
 enhancements since expenses are involved even for minor changes.  This
 will be Version 2.1.11.

 AR - Bob Ross provide Will Hobbs a list of Version 2 Parser owners to
 check his list. - [Done]

 Will Hobbs will distribute the Parser.  

 Jon Powell will need to create new executables, and Bob Ross will then
 put them on vhdl.org.

 SPICE TO IBIS VERSION 1.3
 Bob Ross indicates that Steve Lipa has prepared a correction s2ibis
 Version 1.3 to be put on vhdl.org.  Either Michael Steer will post it,
 or Bob Ross will post it if Michael is unavailable.

 The correction fixes a double counting problem in the [Pullup] table
 clamping region.

 SPICE TO IBIS VERSION 2.1
 Bob Ross reported that the author at North Carolina State University Alan
 Glaser is studying for Ph.D. qualification exams and will be available for
 work after that in say a month.

 While problems have been reported directly, a list needs to be generated
 for visibility of what problems exist.

 Bob indicated that some "crashes" have been sent directly.  Also there
 are some enhancements required consistent with the s2ibis version 1.3
 coded that would differentiate an input voltage signal values and 
 input threshold values.  Currently [Vinl] and [Vinh] commands set both
 in s2ibis Beta Version 2.091, and this is wrong. 

 AR - Bob Ross will prepare a list as soon as possible of s2ibis version
 2.091 bugs.

 PLAN TO ENCOURAGE SEMICONDUCTOR MODELS
 Syed proposed a Most Models for the Year Reward to encourage publicly
 available IBIS Models to be given at DAC.  Questions concerned whether
 those under NDA and those available through e-mail to the corporations
 that are free could be included.  The award would be given at DAC
 where the participants would be available for presentation of the 
 award.  An awards committee might opt at this time anyone who is putting
 models on vhdl.org or in a publicly accessible Web site.

 Arpad Muranyi was concerned that small glue logic models might inflate
 the numbers versus larger pin count processor models.   Bob Ross 
 suggested that perhaps the focus of the award would be to the company
 rather than the individual to encourage and acknowledge company commitment. 

 AR - Bob Ross put this as an agenda item for the April, 1996 meeting,
 and also plan that the award should be resolved by the May, 1996 meeting.

 Patti Rusher can help prepare the rewards.  

 PRIORITIES FOR 1996
 Will Hobbs reported the priorities that were established by a committee
 within Intel that relate to IBIS changes.  They consist of
 
   Diode Kickback
   Feedback
   Sequential Drivers
   Voltage and Temperature parameterization
   Cookbook Update, particularly on DC versus AC impedance
   Improved Packaging
   Package Parasitics
   IBIS Models production (Intel has many IBIS model as a result of making
	 it a procurement requirement)
   Ground Bounce/SSO/Scaling of Drivers/Multiple Outputs related Issues

 Will indicated that this list initiated by the Platform Architecture Lab
 closely resembled the IBIS committee priorities.

 TUTORIAL
 Patti Rusher stated that EDIF World was planning a tutorial in Monterey,
 California later this year and wondered if IBIS would also be interested
 in presenting a tutorial.

 EXPRESS
 Tom Thurman, from a Rockwell Collins Division in Cedar Rapids, Iowa has been
 involved with standards activities including information and data modeling.
 One piece of this work is Express.  The Express format has been adopted
 internationally and nationally by EIA, EDIF and CFI.  It is a more precise 
 representation than English.  Tom's feedback on fast tracking the IBIS 
 proposal is that it should have an Express representation for better, more 
 thorough review.

 The goals of the Express representation are 1) to make the language easy to
 understand, and 2) to design a language that can be interpreted and processed
 by a computer.  There exists a graphical form called Express-G which helps
 newcomers become familiar with a new specification more easily.  It is easy
 to create a lexical form from a graphical form and visa-versa.
 
 Once the Express representation is in place, it is easy to expand the scope
 of the specification and to show its interaction with other specifications.
 This helps attain the goal of cohesive standards.
 
 Express has the concept of base types (reals, integers, logicals), but is not
 concerned with specific computer implementations such as 32 bits, 64 bits, 
 etc.  It is similar to object orientated languages.  In EDIF, there is a 
 separate section for syntax guidance.  The Express entity is similar to a 
 C++ class, e.g., each having analogous attributes.  
 
 Express-G shows relationships with boxes and lines.  It provides a conceptual
 data model.  It is a static data modeling language.  Process and evens are not
 currently included.  The relationships are object to object.  Express lends
 itself to modular decomposition.  

 In response to questions by Stephen Peters, Will Hobbs, Ian Dodd, C. Kumar,  
 and others, Tom described Express as not a BNF or syntax description, but one 
 that describes relationships.  It was initially aimed at describing industrial 
 data.  He estimates 400-500 users in industry and academia including being 
 taught at Clemson and UCLA.  It has been adopted as the representation of
 EDIF 4 0 0.  Express is still suitable for the non-syntactical aspects of
 IBIS and would not undermine the widespread acceptance of the current IBIS
 syntax.  It provides the structure of the model and the rules and behavior
 of the data.  Some constraints could also be included.  The golden parser 
 itself could be described using Express.  Express provides an unambiguous
 description and also provides a method of communicating with parallel 
 standards.

 Since Express is used as a representation in EDIF 4 0 0, Patti Rusher was
 asked to provide a simple illustrative example.

 AR - Patti Rusher post a simple example of Express representation.
 
 Tom concluded that Express can be used to describe physical files and that
 IBIS did not appear to require a large data model.

 BIRD33 (EGG8) - PHYSICAL PACKAGE DISCUSSION
 Stephen Peters recounted the separate committee meetings.  The members consist
 of Stephen, C. Kumar, Ian Dodd, David Wiens, Jon Powell, Kellee Crisafulli,
 Olaf Rethmeier, and Werner Rissiek.  The 19 March meeting established the
 goals that the proposal be human readable, easily parseable, handle SIMMs,
 resistors and capacitors, and polygons.  They converged on the conclusion 
 that the specification should be an existing standard, if possible, and
 may be a subset.  The proposed EDIF 4 0 0 appears to be a good candidate.
 They are looking into CAD vendors to see who is supporting EDIF 4 0 0.  The
 physical specification would be most useful for SIMMs and MCMs.

 The electrical side has similar goals.  They considered Kumar's Spice-like
 description, an extension to BIRD28.3 which considers named matrices and
 eliminates [Number of Sections], and another description presented by
 Jon Powell based on Quad Design's experiences.  The electrical specification
 would be most useful for PGAs.  The next meeting is scheduled on April 4,
 1996. 

 Hank Herrmann wants to join the subcommittee.

 BIRD31.1 - MATED MODELS
 Bob Ross discussed the key points of BIRD31.1.  The mated model (a generic
 term covering connectors, cables and sockets having two terminals) is blended
 into the package model with BIRD28.3 extensions and will track any changes 
 resulting from future package proposals.  It differs in that it introduces 
 optional Cpad_1 and Cpad_2 default capacitor subparameters since most 
 connector model information does not assume a pad capacitance.  It will
 have two columns of pin numbers instead of one in the package model to allow  
 different naming conventions on each side and to allow simple cable crossover.
 Finally, it is always in a separate .mmf and would not be in a .ibs file
 since it would be difficult to track having the same model in several .ibs
 files.

 BIRD34.1 (EGG9) - HANDLING STORED CHARGE
 Not covered.

 EGG10 - PARSER ADDITIONS FOR NUMERICAL CHECKING
 Not covered.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next telephone meeting is set for Friday, April 19, 1996.

 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Will Hobbs (503) 264-4369, Fax (503) 264-4210
	     [email-masked]
	     Server Chipset System Validation Manager, Intel Corp.
	     2111 NE 28th M/S JF1-57, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA
 
 VICE CHAIR: Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Transmission-Line Products Manager, Quad Design
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix, Inc.
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page:

   http://www.eia.org/eig/ibis/ibis.htm

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from 
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an e-mail request to the automatic 
 archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================