Subject: Use of EDIF for layout data transfer

From: "Wiens, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 16:50:21 -0600

Folks,

The IBIS Packaging Subcommittee has narrowed its search for a PCB/MCM
layout data
transfer format to EDIF 4.0.0. The EDIF specification is currently in
ballot stage, which 
means we've got a window of opportunity to get some changes included.
The following 
issues were brought up by the subcommittee for clarification or
enhancement of the standard :

- Need to have an EDIF construct inside a 'component' and/or 'part' that
references an 
  external IBIS model file. This can currently be done using a generic
name/value 'property',
  but leaves itself open for misinterpretation.
- Make sure there is only one way to specify R/L/C for components.
- Can EDIF support multiple-board definition?

EDIF 4.0.0 is open for comment until May 28th. If you're interested in
reviewing it, you can
get the docs off the net or on CD. The docs are in Frame v4 as hypertext
online format.
I'd advise against printing the doc out (~3500 pgs). If you're
Frame-handicapped, I can 
probably send you a PS file of one of the better sections (~100pgs).

CD :
- Call Patti Rusher at 703-907-7545 or E-mail at [email-masked]. (While
supplies last...
  she's running low). Jon Powel, you've got a copy headed your way.
FTP :
- E-mail Julie Spink at [email-masked] or [email-masked] and request
a password to the
  server. Warning...this site is in the UK and takes a while to pull...

If you review the doc, I'd recommend starting with the Level-0
Information Model (IMTOC.DOC).
If you have suggestions regarding use of EDIF in association with IBIS,
please send them to
me, and the subcommittee will send them as a collection to EIA. We may
be able to lend
more weight that way. For general EDIF comments, send them to Patti
Rusher or Hilary Kahn.

Patti said that the EDIF group prepared an EDIF file of the PCB Design
Conference 
(non)benchmark board. I'll see if we can get our hands on it for
review... 

If you're interested in companies supplying APIs for EDIF
reading/writing, I believe the following
companies are in the process of writing (or are done with) software :
 -  Engineering Data Express - 408-243-8786
 -  Electronic Tools Company - 707-996-3320

David Wiens
VeriBest Inc.