Subject: Re: package.

From: Arpad Muranyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 97 09:03:00 PDT

Text item: 

Vincent,

1)  The I-V curves can be measured with the package around the die, because this
measurement is usually so slow that the effects of the package will not alter 
your data.

2)  Since you didn't say what causes you confusion about RLC_pgk and RLC_pin I 
am not sure how to answer.  The RLC_pkg are the global package numbers which are
in effect when nothing else is specified at the pin list.  If you know the RLC 
numbers for individual pins you can use the RLC_pin numbers which override the 
RLC_pkg defaults.

3)  Again you were not very specific with your question on the I/O pins.  I 
don't know what your confusion is, so I will just say something general.  Get 
I-V curves for it when it is driving (pullup and pulldown) and get I-V curves 
when it is 3-stated (Power and GND clamp).  The first will represent it when it 
is an output, the second when it is an input.

4)  Regarding your previous EMAIL, you didn't answer my question.  You stated 
that "In ibis model, the package is not be used on simulation. Why?" and I asked
where you got this idea from.  When you simulate with an IBIS model you will use
the package.  It is another story that you may need to remove the package from a
SPICE simulation when you are generating the V-t curves for an IBIS model.

In general, please be more precise and specific with your questions if you want 
to get more meaningful help.  This way we can only guess what your problems 
could be.  Also, most of my responses are described in the IBIS specification.  
It is a good thing to read the spec first (carefully) and then post questions to
the reflector if you still don't understand something.  As they say "If all else
fails, read the manual"...  Of course, the spec is not something that is very 
entertaining, but there are a lot of good things in it.

I hope this helps,

Arpad
===============================================================================

Arpad,

In the COOK book, it states,
===============================================================================
To behaviorally represent any such buffer requires the following
information:

    the I-V characteristics of the power clamp or ESD diodes
    the input or output capacitance of the buffer
    the characteristics of the package (the values of the lead
    inductance, resistance, and capacitance)

Output and I/O buffer representations also require:

    the current vs. voltage (I-V) characteristics of the buffer in both
    low and high states
    the rise and fall time of the buffer when switching
===============================================================================

Are the I-V characteristics of the buffer been measured with
package(R,L,C)?

Also, I am confused with RLC_pgk and RLC_pin. Oh, do you know how to
handle Bi-direction pin(I/O pins)? I am not very clear on how to
model this type of pins.

Please help me to clear these confusions. Call me if you want.
Thank you in advance.

--
Best Regards,

               Vincent Chang

=======================================================================
*  Vincent Chang                         TI MSG ID: hui8              *
*  Design Automation                     mailto:[email-masked]    *
*  Memory Products Design                http://www.memh.ti.com/~mcad *
*  Texas Instruments Inc. MS 657         Phone: (281) 274-3167        *
*  PO Box 1443, Houston, TX 77251        Fax:   (281) 274-2067        *
=======================================================================

Text item: External Message Header

The following mail header is for administrative use
and may be ignored unless there are problems.

***IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS SAVE THESE HEADERS***.

Subject: package.
To: [email-masked]
From: Vincent Chang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:49:53 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]
/8.7.1) id PAA01979 for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:49
:53 -0500 (CDT)
Received: from r2d2.memh.ti.com by happy.memh.ti.com with ESMTP
     (1.37.109.16/16.2) id AA158487837; Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:50:37 -0500
Received: from happy.memh.ti.com ([158.218.36.100]) by jester.ti.com (8.8.5) wit
h ESMTP id PAA01987 for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:50
:38 -0500 (CDT)
Received: from jester.ti.com by thalia.fm.intel.com (8.8.6/10.0i); Fri, 29 Aug 1
997 20:57:16 GMT
Received: from thalia.fm.intel.com (thalia.fm.intel.com [132.233.247.11]) by fmm
ail.fm.intel.com (8.8.5/8.7.3) with ESMTP id NAA26732 for <[email-masked].
intel.com>; Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:54:09 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: [email-masked]