Subject: IBIS MINTUTES 2/14/97

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 97 11:13 PST

DATE: February 18, 1997

 SUBJECT: 2/14/97 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
  
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1997 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Jeff Walden
 Applied Simulation Technology  Dileep Divekar*, Norio Matsui
 Cadence Design                 C. Kumar, Don Telian
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES                        (Olaf Rethmeier)
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*,
 Interconnectix                 Bob Ross*
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao
 Motorola                       Ahmed Omer*
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Cheng-Yang Kao, Mike Brisbol,
				Peter Laflamme, Kevin Smith, 
 NCR                            Dave Moxley*, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
 Quad Design/Viewlogic          Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek*
 Quantic Laboratories           (Mike Ventham)
 Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             (Celso Faia)
 Veribest                       Ian Dodd*
 VLSI Technology                Harish Patel, D.C. Sessions,
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie)
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1997:
 3M                             Fran Hart
 Actel                          Scott Schlachter
 Acuson & Free Model Foundation Richard Munden
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick*
 Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
 Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Weston Beal
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu*
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 EMC                            Fabrizio Zanella
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                      
 Molex                          Gus Panella
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 S3, Inc.                       Porsh Shih, Sarathy Sribhashyam
 Ultratest International        Charles Im*
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl* 

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.
 Note, refer to the January 10, 1997 minutes for the last listing of the
 1996 IBIS Open Forum participants.

 Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
     
      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      3/7/97     (916) 356-9200   3-87786          1568848

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
 George Opsahl, a long time participant from Zeelan Technology, joined the 
 discussion.

 MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Patti Rusher reports that Meta-Software (now Avant!) has canceled their
 membership.  IBM will not be joining.  So the membership is currently 22,
 but most bills are still outstanding.  There will be some changes due to
 changing interests and some business purchases and mergers.

 The DAC97 participation will be deducted from the 1996 funds.  Patti will
 supply Bob Ross current treasury status, but predicts about $10,500 income
 this year from membership dues.  Dave Moxely asked clarification that the
 membership rate is $500.00 this year even if the company had purchased the 
 IBIS_CHK2 source code license in the past.  The parser/membership discount 
 of $750.00 still applies for joint membership/parser licenses for the year 
 of the purchase.

 Patti needs to supply Bob the current financial information since the last
 showed $9,285 in the IBIS account.

 REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
 Minutes corrections submitted privately include the following:
    
    Minor text corrections. 
    Harish Patel spelling correction from Hrish for VLSI.  
    Sri Jandhyala removal from Texas Instruments contacts, roster,
      participants list due to responsibility change. 
    Mike Bristol from Bristi for National Semiconductor. 
    Sarathy Sribhashyam from Jarathy Jribhashyam for S3, Inc.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 None.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Syed Huq reports miscellaneous logo and company Web page link updates on the
 EIA/IBIS Home page Poster selection (Quantic/EMC and Applied Simulation
 Technology).

 Syed also reports that "Apsim Models IC Packages" on pg. 56 of the February
 10, 1997 issue of EE Times describes Applied Simulation Technology's ApsimIBIS 
 products for package coupled-matrix LRC extraction and IBIS to Spice 
 conversions.

 NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
 Bob Ross reported that the Free Model Foundation has removed their models,
 but plans to have some new ones shortly.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Bob Ross for the new North Carolina State University s2ibis2 Version 1.1.

 REVIEW OF SUPERCON97 IBIS SUMMIT MEETING
 Syed Huq reported that it was a good meeting with a lot of interesting topics,
 and with over 35 people attending.

 Syed and Jon Powell will be posting the electronic copies of the
 presentations.  Bob Ross asked that he be given copies since he will
 post them in a summit97 directory where he is owner.  The minutes of the 
 meetings are also stored in that directory.  Syed and Jon can still work on 
 any possible visible copies.

 AR - Syed Huq supply Bob Ross with electronic copies.

 DESIGN AUTOMATION CONFERENCE 1997 IBIS MEETING PLANNING
 Patti Rusher asked what day the IBIS Summit meeting will be held so she can
 reserve a room.  Bob Ross suggested Thursday, June 12, 1997 because it is the
 day after the trade show portion closes.  DAC97 will be held in Anaheim, 
 California.  Patti indicated that a Poster will be needed.  Bob hopes to 
 off-load this project.

 INTERNATIONAL PROGRESS
 Patti Rusher reported that IBIS did not pass international standardization at 
 the last IEC TC93 US TAG meeting because only three countries agreed to work 
 on the proposal per fast track.  She is still pursuing getting five countries
 interested and expects to be successful because of some recent organizational
 changes.

 EIA JAPAN I/O INTERFACE MODEL PROPOSAL
 Bob Ross reported that he had just received a FAXed copy of the Electronic 
 Industries Association of Japan (EIAJ) "Standard for I/O Interface Model", 
 Draft Version 0.0.  Committee Chair, Hideki Fukuda from Hitachi, does not
 want this draft circulated to the public at this time.  Instead, he has
 proposed meeting with Bob and/or appropriate representatives of the EIA/IBIS
 Open Forum to investigate future areas of cooperation.  Bob commented that 
 that this is a well-written, Postscript formatted document.  It is a
 copyrighted document, so Bob is seeking permission to provide copies to the 
 EIA/IBIS Open Forum officers for review.
 
 Based on a quick reading, Bob provided a brief overview and his initial 
 observations.  The document was developed by a committee with representatives
 from seventeen Japanese companies. It was designed to extend IBIS Version 2.1 
 and contains the IBIS-style keyword syntax.  It has a nice partitioning 
 of a part into IC, Package, and Module Board portions.  It also has a 
 functionality level structure:  Level 1 for Signal Integrity, Level 2 for 
 Power Integrity (ground and power bounce) and Level 3 for EMI (requiring 
 shape information).

 For comparison and positioning of the proposal, Bob feels that IBIS
 Version 2.1 is Component-centric with special application to large-sized 
 Board-Level analysis.  The Japanese proposal is more IC-centric with 
 Spice-centric extensions to handle internal details including the electrical
 representation of internal metalization within an IC.  With detailed internal 
 power/ground/buffer electrical interconnection, more accurate power integrity
 analysis is possible.  One example shows two adjacent ground pins modeled
 by splitting the electrical inductances between the two pins.  This type of
 detail goes beyond what can be provided by the existing [Pin Mapping] keyword.

 Some standard Spice syntax is included to describe passive elements.  A
 set of table-based behavioral MOS transistor and diode extensions are 
 included, which Bob believes would be extensions to most, if not all
 Spices (this needs to be checked further).  This behavioral approach gives
 additional accuracy, while at the same time, does not require revealing
 actual proprietary process information.

 Hideki Fukuda has suggested a March visit, and Bob is suggesting that an
 appropriate time and location may be centered around the PCB Design
 Conference in Santa Clara, California, March 18-20, 1997.

 Based on this discussion, the sense of the Forum is to proceed with further
 discussion.  The EIA/IBIS Open Forum officers along with several other
 individuals expressed interest and volunteered to be part of the group for
 future discussions and advice:

   Bob Ross, Interconnectix
   Syed Huq, National Semiconductor
   Jon Powell, Quad Design/Viewlogic
   Dileep Divekar, Applied Simulation Technology (USA)
   Stephen Peters, Intel

 Bob will work out scheduling with Hideki Fukuda.

 ELECTRONIC DESIGN REPRINTS
 Syed Huq has received permission to post the article he published "Ease 
 System Simulation With IBIS Device Models" in the December 2, 1996 issue of
 Electronic Design on the EIA/IBIS Home page.  He is currently converting it
 to HTML format.

 Syed also raised the issue of whether the EIA/IBIS Forum should purchase
 reprints according to the following price schedule:

     100    $2010
     500    $2215
    1000    $2715
 
 They would be used as trade show handout material (particularly for DAC97)
 along with some remaining copies of the 1995 EDN IBIS article.  Patti Rusher
 indicated that at least 500 copies would be needed.  Bob Ross questioned
 whether National Semiconductor is interested in sharing the expense by
 purchasing some copies for National distribution.  Syed will find out,
 and the purchase decision will be deferred until next meeting.

 ROSTER UPDATE
 Because of the acquisitions, mergers, and changing directions and personnel
 that is characteristic of our industry, the roster.txt document needs to be 
 updated.  Syed Huq volunteered to gather the new information by sending the
 current roster.txt out on the [email-masked] reflector.  Please review your
 entries and make any changes or corrections.  Also, we would like to know
 if the EDA vendors support IBIS as a native model input (with translation
 to another model format), and whether the vendor can read IBIS Version 2.1 
 level files (versus IBIS Version 1.1).  We would like to see which silicon
 vendors produce IBIS models, and we would like to see which users also create
 or make use of IBIS models.  Anyone who is involved with IBIS in any way is
 invited to submit roster.txt information to Syed for their organization.
 Use the existing roster.txt to provide the format for your entry.  
 
 Official EIA/IBIS Open Forum Member organizations will always be retained on
 the roster.  If no response is received for non-member organizations, the 
 existing entry will be deleted.  This is our way of removing obsolete
 references.

 AR - Everyone submit to Syed Huq at [email-masked] any roster changes
 or new roster information.

 VHDL.ORG CHANGES
 Bob Ross reported that a PERL script utility submitted by John Fitzpatrick
 is now being used in the /pub/ibis/birds directory (and also in the 
 /pub/rail/roads directory) to create current index.html files.  These
 index.html files allow, by default, a nicely formatted index table of 
 all of the current IBIS BIRDs (and ROADs for RAIL) using a Browser and direct 
 access to any specific BIRD.  Bob thanked John for writing this utility.
 
 Bob also reported some other changes.  The domain name "vhdl.org" will also
 accept more relevant aliases such as eda.org, verilog.org, etc. since vhdl.org
 contains directories for many different standards groups, most of which are
 not associated with the VHDL activities.

 As a result of lax security precautions associated with a wide spread need for
 many different groups to access to vhdl.org, a hacker group break-in occurred
 into vhdl.org.  No known damage was found.  However vhdl.org was immediately 
 taken off the network as a defensive measure for several weeks.  Tighter 
 security measures were taken.  Among these were the removal of guest login 
 and direct line modem access.  Anonymous FTP and Browser access is still 
 available.  These changes are now reflected in the information provided at the
 end of these Minutes.

 Finally, Bob has moved some of the information into subdirectories to clean
 up the file structure under /pub/ibis.  One example is to move all of the 
 yearly e-mail directories under one directory "email".  Bob also wishes to
 put the documents now contained under "documents" in a directory named "docs".  
 Currently both directories will exist containing identical information until 
 some links to various documents from the EIA/IBIS home page are changed.

 IBIS COOKBOOK PROGRESS
 Chris Rokusek, who is heading this project, asked whether Stephen Peters has
 done a draft, as previously planned.  Stephen reported that he recently has
 gotten a technical writer who will start working on the Cookbook shortly.

 MODEL TEST LOAD RECOMMENDATIONS
 Bob Ross reported that a long standing AR is for vendors to provide Chris 
 Rokusek the information the preferred setups for [Rising Waveform] and 
 [Falling Waveform] data that makes the simulator algorithms most effective.  
 So far Bob and Chris have provide preferred data loads.  This information 
 will be put in the Cookbook to help guide all model developers.  

 IBIS-TO-BEHAVIORAL MODEL SUPPORT
 Syed Huq raised the issue of whether there is a need for the EIA/IBIS Open 
 Forum to pursue IBIS to Spice Behavioral translation.  This has been a 
 recent IBIS reflector topic.  Syed cited several vendors who have or have 
 had such products and again noted Applied Simulation Technologies recent 
 entry.  While some of the products are only at IBIS Version 1.1 level or 
 have been discontinued, there still exists both some coverage and also some
 opportunity for providing more utilities.

 SPICE-TO-IBIS TRANSLATOR FOR WINDOWS NT
 Ian Dodd volunteered to make available the VeriBest adaptation of s2ibis 
 compiled to work under Windows NT from the VeriBest home page.  The EIA/IBIS 
 Home page will have a direct link, as it does for the HyperLynx Visual IBIS 
 Editor.  Bob Ross endorsed the notion that free utilities available from a 
 number of commercial sites reinforces the reality that there is widespread 
 acceptance of IBIS.  This is healthy for the IBIS community as a whole.

 SPICE-TO-IBIS FROM NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY
 As reported on the reflector, new version of s2ibis2_v1.1 now exists on vhdl.org
 under /pub/ibis/s2ibis/s2ibis2_v1.1/s2ibis2.tar.Z for FTP downloading.  Alan
 Glaser made some polarity corrections for Spectre applications.  He was not
 able to provide an AIX executable, as in the past, because he no longer has
 access to an AIX machine.

 BIRD40 OVERSHOOT NOMENCLATURE
 Bob Ross introduced BIRD40 as just a nomenclature change of Overshoot_high
 to S_overshoot_high and Overshoot_low to S_overshoot_low for static
 overshoots in the already approved BIRD39.  
 
 BIRD40 was approved by unanimous vote.

 VERSION 3.0 FUNCTIONALITY
 Per discussion at the January 20, 1997 Summit, the issue of Version 3.0
 functionality was introduced.  Bob Ross summarized the progress since
 June, 1994 where Version 2.0 of IBIS was introduced through December, 1995
 when Version 2.1 was stabilized through several letter ballot votes to
 become ANSI/EIA-656.  During this period, there have been minimal technical
 changes.  Version 2.1 continues to be the most current version.  The Open
 Forum has already introduced (and also rejected) a number of proposals using
 the BIRD process.  
 
 These BIRDs have been approved for Version 3.0 along with their associated 
 categories:

    BIRD28.3 and BIRD37.3:  Package Model Enhancements    
    BIRD30.2:               Programmable Buffers           
    BIRD34.2:               Stored Charge Effects              
    BIRD35.3:               Multi-staged Outputs (with possible revisiting)
    BIRD39 and BIRD40:      Specification Enhancements

 The following BIRDs are still pending:

    BIRD36.1:               Electrical Board Description
    BIRD41:                 Modeling Series Switchable Devices (just issued)
 
 These BIRDs have been pending, but inactive, and relate to package and  
 connector models.  Most likely, a new BIRD will be issued for this area.

    BIRD31.3:               Mated Models
    BIRD32:                 Additional Package Model Enhancement

 All of these features are needed and constitute a rich set for defining the
 Version 3.0 functionality that will exist beyond Version 2.1 ANSI/EIA-656
 functionality.

 The only addition beyond this might be some form of switchable terminators.
 that is also to be discussed later.

 BIRD41 - MODELING SERIES SWITCHABLE DEVICES
 John Fitzpatrick introduced BIRD41 to the Committee.  Bob Ross had formalized
 the proposal as BIRD41 because there had already been sufficient reflector 
 and face-to-face discussion on this functionality, and John had issued a 
 well-formatted document, even while requesting more feedback.  The BIRD 
 process itself can now be the basis for making modifications and moving
 forward.  Bob noted that the IBIS format really does not provide the
 necessary keywords to describe the series switch devices (Quick Switch,
 CBT series, etc.) that are now being used in designs.  Series elements
 themselves are not officially defined, although there may be some vendor-
 specific ways of providing barely adequate work-arounds.
  
 BIRD41 defines a new keyword [Series Pin] and two subparameters: Series and
 Series_Switch.  Under [Series Pin], John proposes reusing the existing
 keywords ([Pulldown] and [Pullup]) and incorporated State information as 
 suggested by Chris Reid of Interconnectix.  
 
 Bob thought that relying on existing keywords for the purpose of EDA vendor
 acceptance was a bad idea since the keyword definition would have differences.
 This would cause both specification confusion and model developer confusion.
 Bob prefers new keywords with names that reflect more closely what is intended. 
 The keyword [Power Clamp] and [Gnd Clamp] appear to have retained exactly 
 their original meaning and should continue to be used, as defined.

 Arpad Muranyi questioned whether the series description should contain 
 multiple VI data to model more closely the Source to Drain characteristics
 as a function of Gate to Drain voltage that exists in FET based series 
 elements.  The alternative position is that just a simple series VI
 relationship adequately describes the characteristics needed for modeling
 the switch for analysis.  After some technical details were suggested, Bob
 suggested moving this discussion on the IBIS reflector.

 In response to a question by Stephen Peters about the scope of BIRD41, John 
 answered that it was designed to model the series switch device and also 
 model series diodes.  So BIRD41 provides two useful additions.

 Stephen also asked for clarification of the State terminology in the example.
 John responded that this column information (e.g., AB-CD) was for clarity
 and was not used.

 Bob suggested that John consider the verbal inputs given here and go ahead
 and issue BIRD41.1.

 MODELING EARLY CLAMPS IN IBIS 
 Following up on recent meeting discussions, Bob Ross suggested that if Arpad 
 Muranyi really needs the functionality of switchable input terminators soon,
 he needs to issue a BIRD.  However, this may also be a case where this
 additional functionality could be a Version 3.1 addition since Arpad is
 currently very busy.

 PACKAGE COMMITTEE REPORT AND BIRD36.1 - ELECTRICAL DESCRIPTION OF BOARDS
 Stephen Peters summarized the February 7, 1997 Package Committee meeting
 position that it will focus on two separate proposals:

    An Electrical Board description suitable for SIMMs, but without coupling
      information (just issued as BIRD36.1)
    
    Connector Description which includes coupled and non-coupled lines and
      describes pin pairs.

 In BIRD36.1, Bob Ross has some minor some minor editorial comments which 
 can be handled off-line.  He also questioned whether the "R10K" in the example
 was really a name of a model, or whether it was an attempt to define a
 syntax for a resistor element directly.  Stephen answered that it was a
 model name for a shunt resistor.  When questioned about including series 
 resistor elements, Stephen responded that it can be modeled using a zero 
 length transmission line segment with R.

 Regarding connector model directions, the Package Committee appears to have
 achieved a consensus on using a Matrix description where the Matrix elements
 are defined as "partial" inductances and capacitances.  Jon Powell has
 solicited sample matrix information from the connector manufacturers so that
 he can run simulations using that information and comparing the results with
 corresponding Spice representations using Spice simulations.  He is also
 working on some syntax proposals to reduce the amount of data needed for the
 descriptions.

 Stephen is scheduling the next meeting for Friday, February 21, 1997.

 PARSER STATUS   
 Chris Rokusek has developed an IBISCHK2 extension that generates some warning
 messages for a suspicious component values and waveform endpoint mismatch
 conditions that have been previously discussed.  These situations are
 documented as BUG5, BUG6 and BUG7.  Chris needs to know how best to provide
 the executables he has developed.  Bob Ross suggested discussing this with
 Chris off-line.
 
 AR - Chris Rokusek and Bob Ross discuss how to make the extended IBISCHK2 
 executables available.

 BUG8 - RESERVED KEYWORDS USED AS PINNUMBERS GENERATE ERRORS
 In the brief time left, Bob Ross indicated that Author Wong of Integrated
 Device Technology (IDT), had discovered a bug that is now documented as BUG8.  
 Based on a close reading of the IBIS Specification, there can be several 
 interpretations.  Regardless of the interpretation, Bob feels that BUG8 would 
 not justify an ibischk2 (and ibis_chk) revision.  Easy work-arounds exits.  No 
 decision was reached, so the discussion will be continued at the next meeting.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next meeting is on Friday, March 7, 1996, 8:00 A.M. to 9:55 A.M.
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Transmission-Line Products Manager, Quad Design/Viewlogic
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Vacant

 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, or send an e-mail
 request to the automatic archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================