Subject: IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes, 7/11

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:38:48 -0700

DATE: July 11, 1997

 SUBJECT: 7/11/97 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
  
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1997 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Jeff Walden
 Applied Simulation Technology  Dileep Divekar*, Norio Matsui, Raj Raghuram
 Cadence Design & UniCAD        C. Kumar, Don Telian, Cameron Seitz
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu*
 High Design Technology         (Razvan Ene)
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli, Steve Kaufer
 INCASES                        Olaf Rethmeier, Werner Rissiek
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Henry Maramis,
				Will Hobbs
 Interconnectix                 Bob Ross*
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao, Hoang Nguyen
 Motorola                       [Ahmed Omer], Michael Desiderio*, Paul Bolden*,
                                Tom Myers*
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq, Cheng-Yang Kao, Mike Bristol,
				Peter Laflamme, Kevin Smith
 NCR                            Dave Moxley, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
 Quad Design/Viewlogic          Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek, Peivand Tehrani
 Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
 Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 VeriBest                       Ian Dodd*, William Bell
 VLSI Technology                Harish Patel, D.C. Sessions
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1997:
 3M                             Fran Hart
 Actel                          Scott Schlachter
 Acuson & Free Model Foundation Richard Munden
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick
 Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
 Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Weston Beal, Mark Leonard
 EIA                            Patti Rusher
 EMC                            Fabrizio Zanella
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 Hewlett Packard, France        Jean-Christophe Pautrat*
 Hitachi                        Saburo Hojo, Yasushi Ogawa 
 IBM                            Brad Herrman
 Interface Technology           Dan Waterloo 
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                      
 Molex                          Gus Panella
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 S3, Inc.                       Porsh Shih, Sarathy Sribhashyam
 Symmetry                       Andy Hughes
 TRW                            Ray Steele
 Ultratest International        Charles Im*
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl 

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
     
   Date               Bridge Number     Reservation #    Passcode
   August 8, 1997     (916) 356-9200    3-125343         4891173

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
 Michael Desiderio, Program Manager for the Advanced Interconnect Systems 
 Lab at Motorola, indicated that Motorola is investigating how to provide
 IBIS models.  He is filling in for Ahmed Omera who has left.  Group managers
 Paul Bolden and Tom Myers also joined in.

 Jean-Christophe Pautrat from Hewlett Packard, France is working with Intel
 processors on desktop PC projects and is interested in IBIS models.

 MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Bob Ross reported that Patti Rusher submitted the ledger as of 5/31/97 of
 $9,433 after deducting some meeting expenses.

 Two companies have been removed from the Members list because no payment has
 been received.

 REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
 No Corrections.

 Stephen Peters reported on the AR's.  The major outstanding ones are for
 examples for the Cookbook and BIRDs.  Please see the cookbook discussion
 below

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Bob Ross announced that he will be on vacation starting Saturday, June 12
 and should be returning Monday, August 4, 1997.  The system administration
 duties will be handled by Stephen Peters and Syed Huq.

 Syed Huq should be returning from vacation on Monday, July 15, 1997.

 Stephen Peters is expecting to take off for two weeks after Friday, July 17
 and will be returning August 4, 1997.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Bob Ross reported that as a result of a press release by Patti Rusher, "IBIS
 3.0 Gets Nod From EIA" appeared in EE Times, June 30, 1997, p. 14.   

 Bob also reported that in EE Times, June 16, 1997, pg., 72, and article
 Pacific Numerix Fields EMI-Simulation Analysis Tool mentions using IBIS
 or Spice models.

 An article "Interconnect Synthesis Methodology" in the July 1997 issue of
 Printed Circuit Design, pp. 17-21 mentions IBIS.

 NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
 Bob Ross notes that these Web sites have added models:

   Cypress Semiconductor has added an All Octal FCT model Library (68
   Components) for a total of about 102 components.

   The IDT download site has about 44 components plus another 11 that can
   be obtained from the local FAE.  

 Bob also notes that an IBIS diode terminator model from California Micro
 Devices exits at:

   http:://www.calmicor.com/prod/spice/spice.htm

 Bob also notes that one can request IBIS models for SRAMS (DRAMS under
 construction) at

   http://sec.samsung.com/Products/sram/model_request.html

 Jeff Chu asked how one submits IBIS models.  Bob Ross responded that they are
 submitted to the Librarian, Jon Powell (address at the end) and are
 checked out using ibis_chk and actual simulation for syntax correctness
 and to give feedback regarding results.  A submission authorization form
 is available on the ibis FTP site under /pub/ibis/models.  Some models on 
 company Web Sites may not have gone through such checking and may have 
 syntax flaws.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Bob Ross - On adding GND, POWER and NC reserved words to [Model Selector]
 choices.

 DESIGN AUTOMATION CONFERENCE (DAC) 1997 EIA BOOTH REPORT
 Bob Ross indicated from the previous report that the Booth reported good
 traffic and reprints of Syed Huq's December 1996 Article in Electronic Design:
 "Ease System Simulation With IBIS Device Models" were distributed.  The IBIS
 poster at the Booth looked very nice and listed the participating companies.

 DESIGN AUTOMATION CONFERENCE (DAC) 1997 EIA/IBIS SUMMIT MEETING REPORT
 Bob Ross, reported that 28 people attended the nearly all day session.  There
 were several interesting presentations in the morning.  New EIA/IBIS officers
 were elected, and IBIS Version 3.0 was ratified.

 INTERNATIONAL PROGRESS
 - 93/46/NP (IBIS Version 2.1) - No Report.  Expect about a two year process.
 - 93/60/NP (IBIS Models and EMC Simulation) - No Report.
 - EIAJ III (I/O Interface Model for ICs - Based on the presentations at the
   IBIS Summit, we expect another release in September along with a Package
   Committee release.

 EDITING COMMITTEE 
 Stephen Peters reported on editing IBIS Version 3.0 for clarity.  It could 
 use a table of contents and a keyword list showing when keywords were 
 introduced.  Bob Ross added other possible improvements - section or chapter
 headings, consistency of words per some of the improvements suggested by
 Ogawa-san (Vice Chair of the EIAJ subcommittee), a tree diagram, a syntax,
 etc.  In addition, some of the Cookbook points could be added into the
 Specification for clarity.  BIRD44 to be discussed later also raises some
 editorial clarification points regarding min/max and fast/slow/strong/weak
 interpretations.

 A suggested process is for Bob and Stephen and anyone else who is interested
 to make a first cut at such improvements and put them as a pending Version 3.1
 draft in the Work In Progress (wip) directory.

 One issue is whether we continue to use the text format (with crude graphics)
 or go with Word, HTML, Post Script, or some other format which will allow
 better graphics and presentation.  Bob and Stephen favored at this time
 keeping the reference standard in the text format for maximum portability.
 However, we will consider this issue when some we do some of the editorial
 changes.

 A second issue is whether we hire (or use an internal resource) a technical
 writer.  Stephen and Bob feel that we first need to make the initial editorial
 pass and maintain the historical context first before any major restructuring
 is considered.  This issue will also be considered after the initial editorial
 review.

 Bob also indicated that the parser development project also served as an
 editorial review because some unclear items were revealed.  Version 1.1
 followed Version 1.0 and Version 2.1 along with letter ballot review
 followed Version 2.0 with parser development motivated improvements.
 
 AR - Bob Ross generate and post a BNF for IBIS Version 3.0 (and IBIS Version
 3.0 ratification AR).

 VERSION 3.1 PARSER
 Bob Ross reported that Paul Munsey, who developed the ibis_chk and ibischk2
 parsers essentially no-bid on the ibischk3 parser because he is still 
 finishing the RAIL parser and is carring on full-time job/family 
 responsibilities.  He may be available for some of the work, but suggested
 that we consider other sources.

 Bob stated that there are two alternatives:  Some internal company resource
 that can be dedicated to this project, or hire another contractor.

 Stephen Peters suggested that we ask on the reflector if someone is interested
 in bidding on the project or if someone can recommend a contractor who might
 be interested.

 AR - Stephen Peters put a message for parser development interest/bidding on
 the IBIS reflector.

 COOKBOOK
 Stephen Peters reported that he has received some review comments.  However,
 he has not received any of the promised examples.  The AR's (Action
 Required) for these examples are listed below.  Some additions were
 made to the version of the cookbook handed out at DAC regarding
 recommended test loads for waveforms.  Stephen can provide private copies,
 but is not ready to put it on the FTP site yet.

 Stephen also reported that based on an internal review, a primer on behavioral
 modeling is recommended.  He has a writer who will be doing some work in 
 this introduction section.  The IBIS keywords will be illustrated in this
 context.

 AR - The following people have volunteered to supply examples
  Steve Kaufer/Hyperlynx -- Example 1
  Arpad Muranyi - Example 2
  Stephen Peters - Example 3 

 AR - D.C Sessions.  Supply a paragraph or two explaining the best way to
 modify a SPICE transistor model to get realistic power and ground clamp 
 information

 AR - Bob Ross.  Supply the text for the section "Diode Transient Time Data"

 AR - Syed Huq.  Review and expand (if necessary) Section 3.3. on "Obtaining
 I/V and Switching Information via Lab Measurement".

 AR - Bob Ross submit an example of a Series MOSFET component.

 AR - Everyone who received a copy review the document and provide comments
 to Stephen Peters (address at the end).

 S2IBIS2 ISSUES (& NT)
 Ian Dodd reported that VeriBest had withdrawn their s2ibis based on 
 Version 1.1 s2ibis since it had other errors.  VeriBest now has NT/Windows
 95 versions of
 s2ibis_ver1.3 (for Version 1.1 of IBIS) and s2ibis_ver2.1 (for Version 2.1 of
 IBIS) compiled.  In order to make them work with NT and Windows, they needed
 to deal with file loading problems and code order dependency syntax issues
 that compiled differently in Windows environments than in UNIX environments.

 Ian's concern is that the code is untested (there are no regression tests
 for UNIX versions available).  He would like to make the versions available
 AS IS for users to use and test.  VeriBest would make fixes and corrections
 on a time available basis.

 Bob Ross felt this was a good plan and VeriBest should put there files on
 the VeriBest Web site.  There will be four zip files for source and executables
 for each s2ibis version.  They will be in the location that the official 
 EIA/IBIS Web page already points to.

 AR - Ian Dodd put s2ibis_ver1.3 and s2ibis_ver2.1 for Windows on the VeriBest
 Web site.

 BIRD42.3 - MODELING CURRENT WAVEFORMS
 Bob Ross stated that BIRD42.2 had been considered for Version 3.0, but it was
 too controversial to be included.  It deals with describing power and ground
 current waveforms to assist in power integrity (ground and power bounce) and
 SSO (simultaneous switched outputs) detail and also may produce improved
 switching algorithm detail.  An AR is still pending regarding discussion
 on this issue between D.C. Sessions and C. Kumar.

 Bob had issued BIRD42.3 to change the keyword syntax.  This could be considered
 as a Version 3.1 technical addition if it is approved.  

 Discussion will be deferred until next meeting.

 AR - D.C. Sessions and Kumar get together and provide an example showing
 where the rising and falling waveform tables do not result in correct
 results.

 BIRD44 - INTERPRETATION OF MIN/MAX/WEAK/STRONG DATA
 Bob Ross reported that Andy Ingraham of Digital Equipment Corporation had
 submitted BIRD44 as an editorial improvement to clarify the actual usage
 of the min and max columns for data.  Bob felt that while it contained good
 material, an alternative might be an explanation section at the beginning
 of the standard.  There already is a large base of models and utilities
 (s2ibis) which use the existing min/max column headings and terms.

 BIRD44 will continue to remain open for further discussion.  We may want to
 consider how to resolve it after we do the first pass on the editorial cleanup
 of IBIS Version 3.0.

 SWITCHING TERMINATORS
 Arpad Muranyi has no further work in this area to report.  This also could be
 considered a Version 3.1 technical extension if a BIRD for this functionality
 is issued and approved.

 MODEL SELECTOR HANDING OF RESERVED WORDS
 Bob Ross introduced briefly that there had been a question regarding whether
 GND, POWER, and NC could be included as [Model Selector] choices.  Arpad
 questioned the need.  Bob stated that the Terminator models could be used
 for similar functions, especially NC.  This will be considered further as
 part of the editorial review to propose clarification of this issue.  (A
 BIRD may need to be issued.)

 FINAL ITEMS
 Because of holidays and people being on vacation, the next teleconferencing
 meeting was scheduled on Friday, August 8, 1997.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next meeting is on Friday, August 8, 1997, 8:00 A.M. to 9:55 A.M.  
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 SECRETARY:  Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
             M/S JF1-56
	     2111 NE 25th Ave. 
             Hillsboro, Oregon 97124-5961

 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Scientist, Quad Design/Viewlogic
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
  
 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================