Subject: IBIS MINUTES 5/30/97

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 97 08:43 PDT

DATE: June 2, 1997

 SUBJECT: 5/30/97 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
  
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1997 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Jeff Walden
 Applied Simulation Technology  Dileep Divekar*, Norio Matsui, Raj Raghuram
 Cadence Design & UniCAD        C. Kumar*, Don Telian
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 High Design Technology         (Razvan Ene)
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES                        Olaf Rethmeier*
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi, Henry Maramis
 Interconnectix                 Bob Ross*
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao
 Motorola                       Ahmed Omer
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Cheng-Yang Kao, Mike Bristol,
				Peter Laflamme, Kevin Smith
 NCR                            Dave Moxley*, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
 Quad Design/Viewlogic          Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek
 Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
 Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 VeriBest                       Ian Dodd, William Bell
 VLSI Technology                Harish Patel, D.C. Sessions
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie)
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1997:
 3M                             Fran Hart
 Actel                          Scott Schlachter
 Acuson & Free Model Foundation Richard Munden
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick*
 Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
 Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Weston Beal
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 EMC                            Fabrizio Zanella
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                      
 Molex                          Gus Panella
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 S3, Inc.                       Porsh Shih, Sarathy Sribhashyam
 Ultratest International        Charles Im
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl 

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
     
      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      6/12/97    IBIS SUMMIT at Anaheim, CA - No Telephone Bridge

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
 No new participants.

 MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Patti Rusher will provide a full report by next meeting.  Several companies
 will be billed again.  UniCAD is now moved to the Cadence line as a result
 of a recent merger with CCT.

 REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
 No corrections.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 None.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Bob Ross reported that Dr. Howard Johnson gave liberal references to IBIS
 in his Straight Talk for Serious Digital Designers column "Planning
 for Signal Integrity" in Electronic Design, May 12, 1997, pp. 135-136. 

 Bob also reported an article "AMP Offers EDA Software" in Electronic
 Engineering Times, May 19, 1997, pp. 56-57 which mentions an IBIS-to AmpSpice
 converter.

 NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
 Bob Ross reported that Integrated Device Technology IBIS models are now
 downloadable at:

   http://www.idt.com/cross_pl/models.

 Under DOWNLOADABLE MODELS, hit search, and select Model Type "IBIS".

 AR - Jon Powell add this link to the EIA/IBIS Web site Model list.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Bob Ross - BIRD43
 Bob Ross - BIRD31.3 and BIRD32 close-out

 DESIGN AUTOMATION CONFERENCE (DAC) 1997 IBIS MEETING PLANNING
 Syed Huq reported on the planned agenda for the EIA/IBIS Summit meeting on
 Thursday, June 12, 1997 in Anaheim, California at the Marriott Hotel.  This
 will be next door to the Convention Center.  The agenda will be posted after
 the meeting, pending resolution of some BIRDs.

 Patti Rusher has reserved Suite 312, and this will also be noted in the lobby
 as an EIA/IBIS meeting.  She plans for 25 people with a continental breakfast
 starting at 8:30 A.M.  Lunch will also be provided.  An overhead projector,
 screen, podium, and flip chart will be available.  Syed requested that Patti
 bring blank foils and color markers for overheads.

 Syed requests that presenters bring 25 copies of their presentations to the 
 meeting to distribute.  This will save on logistics to copy the presentations.
 Bob Ross mentioned that there is no teleconferencing for this meeting since
 the expense is very high.

 AR - Syed Huq send out the Meeting Agenda [Done].

 INTERNATIONAL PROGRESS
 Patti Rusher reported on a USTAG group meeting which voted to approve a new
 work item proposal "IBIS Models and EMC Simulation" from France.  This 
 is for IEC TC93, and the proposal is referenced as 93/60/NP.  Bob Ross
 is listed as the US contact and will be copied on all activity.  Bob stated
 that US EDA vendors are interested in the proposal, so the Committee may
 want to become actively be involved.

 Patti stated that IBIS Version 2.1 is a separate approved new work item
 proposal 93/46/NP.

 Bob reported that Japanese EIAJ activity will be one of the IBIS Summit
 presentations.  This should give us an update on the I/O Interface Model for
 Integrated Circuits proposal.

 IBISCHK2+ REPORT 
 Bob Ross reported that Chris Rokusek has fixed a problem where some [Rising
 Waveform] and [Falling Waveform] tables were not fully tested for correct
 starting and ending values for Open_* Models.  Bob has put an updated version
 of ibischk2+ on vhdl.org under /pub/ibis/ibschk2+ for downloading.  Bob
 recommends this version as the utility to use for checking because it helps
 detect situations where the time window may not have been long enough for
 waveform table generation.

 IBIS COOKBOOK PROGRESS
 Stephen Peters has set some time to work on the Cookbook for IBIS Version 2.1.
 It will also reference a few IBIS Version 3.0 features.  Stephen will have
 copies available at the IBIS Summit meeting for review.  This copy is public
 and it has expanded and updated sections.  It also has answered many of the
 IBIS reflector questions.  Stephen has not included the preferred vendor test
 loads, nor has he included a section on measurement techniques.  

 S2IBIS2 ISSUES AND NT
 Bob Ross has posted an interim fix for a s2ibis2 resolution problem.  The fix
 has columns printed with four decimal digits.  Bob also noted continued
 IBIS reflector questions, and there may be some other bugs lurking in regions
 that have not been exercised thoroughly, such as ECL model processing.

 BIRD41.6 - MODELING SERIES SWITCHABLE DEVICES
 Bob Ross reported that he sent out a PSpice netlist to test the approach to
 model series switches.  BIRD41.6 has gone through successive modifications
 to and now includes a change so the [Model Selector] keyword also applies to
 Series and Series_switch models.

 (Dave Moxley indicated before the meeting started that he uses series switches
 for 5 V to 3.3 V interface applications.  He currently needs to use discrete
 series elements as an approximation.)

 Stephen Peters asked if BIRD41.6 includes the series resistor element, and
 Bob reported that it did in a manner that should be compatible with BIRD36.3.

 Bob has found a few editorial mistakes and plans to issue a correction
 BIRD41.7.  John Fitzpatrick commented at the end of the meeting that he
 agreed with the work in BIRD41.6.

 AR - Bob Ross issue BIRD41.7 with corrections [Done].

 BIRD42.1 - MODELING CURRENT WAVEFORMS
 Kumar agreed with the implementation that the [GND Current] and [POWER
 Current] tables be positioned under the [Rising Waveform] and [Falling
 Waveforml tables.  Bob Ross also has also added to the [Rising Waveform]
 Waveform] sections some suggested practices concerning what subparameters
 should not be used, if possible, to produce the best models for simulation.
 He also changed the examples so that they represented better fixture loads.
 The Waveform tables are derived from the same Spice model used for generating
 the [GND Current] and [Power Current] tables.  Stephen Peters commented
 that the new Waveform tables contain some non-monotonic points at the 
 beginning and wondered if this would be a problem with simulators.  Bob
 and Kumar responded that this would not be a problem for some simulators,
 but if it is, the simulators can filter the data.  IBIS should capture the
 actual data.  

 Kumar commented that the C_comp de-embedding mathematics can contribute to
 numerical problems - getting the C_comp current from the derivative of voltage
 across C_comp.  A note should be put in to warn about this.

 Stephen Peters asked if BIRD42.1 is intended for a more accurate model
 or for SSO bounce problems, and Kumar responded that it is for both.  The
 current distribution information is needed for more accurate representation
 in large ASICs with, say 1000, pins, and is also information for SSO.  The
 current tables can help in interpolation and fitting the response to the 
 existing loads.

 AR - Bob Ross issue BIRD41.2 with a C_comp note [Done].

 BIRD43 - COMPONENT TEST POINT SUBPARAMETERS
 Bob Ross introduced BIRD43 which adds two subparameters to [Component] in
 a manner similar to Polarity and Enable for [Model].  The Si_location and
 Timing_location subparameters give the location of the SI or Timing test
 points.  The choices are Die or Pin.  The default (without subparameters)
 is the Pin.  Some ASICs, however, give specifications at the Die.

 BIRD31.3 - MATED MODELS
 In preparation for Version 3.0 ratification, Bob Ross wanted to close out some
 dormant BIRDs.  BIRD31.3 was issued May, 1996.  Any new mated model proposal
 should be made relative to IBIS Version 3.0.  Since it would likely be
 proposed as a separate file, work on it can proceed in an independent manner
 from IBIS Version 3.0.  

 BIRD31.3 was rejected unanimously.

 BIRD32 - ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENT TO THE PACKAGE MODEL (.pkg FILE)
 Bob Ross proposed that BIRD32 issued January, 1996 also be closed out, and 
 C. Kumar agreed.  A new proposal could be generated relative to IBIS Version 
 3.0 to advance the package syntax for coupled sections.

 BIRD32 was rejected unanimously.

 CONNECTOR MODELING
 Bob Ross suggested that this discussion be dropped until new proposals are
 presented.

 MODELING EARLY CLAMPS IN IBIS 
 Stephen Peters reported that a proposal will be issued, when needed.

 VERSION 3.0 RATIFICATION
 In preparation for the EIA/IBIS Summit, Bob Ross plans an updated Work in
 Progress pending Version 3.0 of IBIS stored on vhdl.org under /pub/ibis/wip.
 This version will include the changes in pending BIRDs 41.7, 42.2 and 43.
 Bob will also plan a cleaned up pending IBIS Version 3.0 that does not 
 contain the internal references to the BIRDs.  Bob will also make some minor
 editorial changes the document.  One change, for example, would be to simply
 the BIRD30.2 [Model Selector] to use more readable model names.

 Because of the anticipated size of these documents, Bob does not plan to
 mail them out on the IBIS reflector.  They will be available from a browser
 or by FTP.  However, Bob will mail a copy to anyone who requests one.  Also,
 IBIS members who cannot attend the EIA/IBIS Summit may submit votes on the
 pending BIRDs and on ratification of EIA/IBIS Version 3.0 by mail to Bob Ross
 (address below).

 AR - Bob Ross put in the IBIS wip directory the final updated pending IBIS
 Version 3.0 which shows the BIRD changes, and of a cleaned up Version of
 pending IBIS Version 3.0 without the references to BIRDs [Done].

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next meeting is a Face-to-face IBIS Summit Meeting on Thursday, June 12,
 1997, 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. at the Design Automation Conference in Anaheim,
 California.  BIRDs 41.7 and 42.3 and 43 will be up for a vote along with IBIS
 Version 3.0 ratification.  No telephone bridge will be available for this
 meeting.
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Transmission-Line Products Manager, Quad Design/Viewlogic
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Vacant
 
 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================