Subject: Re: Bird 36.2

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:53:51 -0800

Hello Scott:

     First, thank you very much for taking the time to read Bird 36.2 and
offer your comments.
     I agree that the present format does not allow one to call out a 
descrete, series element in a path except by using the transmission line
description with a length parameter as zero.  I am willing to modidify
the path description format to include this functionality (a reference
designator callout for a descrete component), except for one thing. 
Currently, the IBIS specification does not support a two terminal component 
description. In other words, a 'series' or 'node' parameter would not be able 
to reference a legal .ibs file that describes a two terminal device.  As Bob Ross 
pointed out this may change if Bird 41 is accepted, but I hesitate to include 
functionallity in this BIRD that is only usefull if (or dependednt upon) another 
BIRD being adopted.
     So....what does the rest of the forum think?  Is this update required, and
if it is does that mean we also commit to passing Bird 41?  

     Again Scott, thanks for the feedback.

               Regards,
               Stephen Peters
               Intel Corp.

>On  Fri, 7 Mar 97 13:48 PST, Scott McMorrow wrote:

Stephen,

I do not see any accomodation of series pass elements
in the path structure for this specification.  Many memory
modules, MCM's, and boards utilize series resistors and/or
more complex filtering structures.  It is important to be
able to model them explicitly, since they are actual components, 
rather than a degenerate case of the transmission line
descriptor.

regards,

Scott McMorrow
Stramond Corporation