Subject: IBIS MINTUTES 5/9/97

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Tue, 13 May 97 11:14 PDT

DATE: May 13, 1997

 SUBJECT: 5/9/97 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
  
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1997 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Jeff Walden
 Applied Simulation Technology  Dileep Divekar*, Norio Matsui, Raj Raghuram
 Cadence Design                 C. Kumar*, Don Telian
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu*
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 High Design Technology         (Razvan Ene)
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES                        Olaf Rethmeier
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi, Henry Maramis*
 Interconnectix                 Bob Ross*
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao
 Motorola                       Ahmed Omer
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Cheng-Yang Kao, Mike Bristol,
				Peter Laflamme, Kevin Smith
 NCR                            Dave Moxley*, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
 Quad Design/Viewlogic          Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek*
 Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
 Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             (Celso Faia)
 VeriBest                       Ian Dodd, William Bell
 VLSI Technology                Harish Patel, D.C. Sessions
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie)
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1997:
 3M                             Fran Hart
 Actel                          Scott Schlachter
 Acuson & Free Model Foundation Richard Munden
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick
 Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
 Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Weston Beal
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 EMC                            Fabrizio Zanella
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                      
 Molex                          Gus Panella
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 S3, Inc.                       Porsh Shih, Sarathy Sribhashyam
 Ultratest International        Charles Im
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl 

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
     
      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      5/30/97    (916) 356-9200   1-137662         1259125
      6/12/97    FACE-TO-FACE at Anaheim, CA - No Telephone Bridge

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
 Henry Maramis from Intel called in for Arpad Muranyi.

 MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Patti Rusher estimated about $12,000, up from the previously reported figure
 of $10,129 in the EIA/IBIS account based on High Design Technology joining
 and purchasing the Golden Parser.  Patti will have the current information
 available by the next meeting.  She plans to check with accounting to find out
 who still owes money.  This concerns only four members.  They will be sent new
 invoices to be paid by the June meeting to avoid being dropped from EIA/IBIS
 membership. 

 REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
 No corrections.  Bob Ross stated that the AR's to issue BIRDs were still
 pending.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 None.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Patti Rusher reported that Dr. Howard Johnson of "Black Magic" fame wrote an
 article, "The I/O Buffer Information Specification (IBIS), A Standard for
 Chip/Receiver Modeling" in Printed Circuit Design, May 1997, pp. 17-20.  Bob
 Ross mentioned that the main concern was lack of IBIS models, and he responded
 privately that commercial vendors were now providing many IBIS models.  Patti
 also mentioned that the issue included several articles concerning EDIF 4 0 0
 and also a useful article concerning the national/international standards body
 organizational structures.  This PCB issue is usually available at the Design
 Automation Conference.

 Syed Huq mentioned that he will present a paper "Understanding and Using IBIS
 Models for Signal Integrity Analysis" at the High-Level Electronic System 
 Design Conference (HESDC97) in October in Santa Clara, California.

 Syed reported on Web page updates: a new Interconnectix logo and the High
 Design Technology addition to the roster.

 NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
 None.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Stephen Peters for job posting policy on the IBIS reflectors.
 C. Kumar on a new technical proposal for SSO.

 JOB POSTING ON THE IBIS REFLECTORS
 Stephen Peters raised the question regarding a policy concerning positing
 jobs on the IBIS reflectors.  This was based on a recent posting on many 
 reflectors.  Patti Rusher indicated that standards body reflectors are used
 for company supported standards related business and are not to be used for
 recruitment.  Bob Ross indicated that this shall be the policy for the IBIS
 reflectors.  The SI reflector could be used for brief, informational job
 postings directly by the organization (not by recruiting companies) according
 to the SI reflector policy because this is a private, non-standards based
 reflector.  Bob will add a statement at the end of the Minutes stating job
 posting messages are not permitted.  However, unless we go to moderated
 refectors, we cannot prevent any such posting.

 DESIGN AUTOMATION CONFERENCE (DAC) 1997 IBIS MEETING PLANNING
 Patti Rusher reported that she has scheduled a meeting room for the EIA/IBIS
 Summit meeting on Thursday, June 12, 1997 in Anaheim, California at the
 Marriott Hotel next door to the Convention Center.  She plans for 25 people.
 A continental breakfast will be available, and the room is scheduled from
 9 AM to 5 PM for the meeting.  She will provide an overhead projector and 
 chart board.  Bob suggested that lunch also be provided.  Bob asked for a
 telephone so that people could call in for the business segment, but Patti
 stated that the cost was very high - in excess of $500.  So we decided not
 to have teleconferencing available for this meeting.

 Syed Huq is still seeking presentations for the IBIS DAC meeting.  Saburo
 Hohjo from Hitachi will report on the EIAJ I/O Interface Model status.  He
 is one of the authors.  Syed would like the final agenda firmed up by May 30.

 AR - Presenters send to Syed Huq presentation topics and time estimates for
 presentation topics at the IBIS Summit meeting.

 Patti offered local copy service for presentations.  Electronic copies will
 be put on vhdl.org.  Otherwise, bring copies for distribution.

 Activities will also include election of EIA/IBIS officers for 1997-1998 and
 discussions leading to the approval of the final BIRDs and to the ratification
 of Version 3.0.

 VERSION 3.0 RATIFICATION
 Bob Ross asked what should be accomplished at the IBIS Summit meeting regarding
 ratification of Version 3.0.  Enough BIRDs have been approved to issue a new
 Version.  However, Bob felt it would be nice to include the Series Switch
 functionality.  In any case, the Version 3.0 available at the June 12 meeting
 will not have gone through a good editorial review.  The sense of the Committee
 was to put it forward for a vote, even in its rough stage to endorse the new
 functions.  This would allow moving forward with contracting parser development
 and also to do an editorial cleanup as part of the Version 3.1 release.  The
 parser development process itself leads to editorial changes to resolve
 ambiguity.  Other sources including reflector comments and "IBIS Tree"
 contributions from Atsushi Ogawa of NEC in Japan are providing valuable input
 and motivation for a cleanup and perhaps organizational revision for clarity.
 The standard is becoming quite large.  Many of us who have been participating
 in its development from Version 1.1 are able to track the additions, but
 someone unfamiliar with IBIS will find that IBIS Version 3.0 contains an
 intimidating amount of information.

 Patti Rusher suggested hiring a documentation person to help re-write IBIS.
 This suggestion will be considered.

 The conclusion of this discussion is that the Committee is willing to proceed
 with ratifying IBIS Version 3.0 in its rough stage and defer the detailed
 editorial review and revisions to IBIS Version 3.1.

 INTERNATIONAL PROGRESS
 Patti Rusher reported no further progress on IBIS Version 2.1 international
 ratification, but that the USTAG group had considered combining IBIS with
 another proposal in response to a concern that the IBIS scope was too narrow.
 Patti expects IBIS to move forward, without change, based on its existing
 wide-spread usage.  Patti will be meeting with the USTAG group and will give
 us a report at the next EIA/IBIS meeting.

 Bob Ross reported that the EIAJ I/O Interface Modeling subgroup has formed
 three internal subgroups to address comments, to provide examples and
 demonstrations, and to provide information on activities.  Several EIAJ
 members needed more time to determine their internal corporate support of the
 EIAJ proposal.

 IBIS COOKBOOK PROGRESS
 Stephen Peters reported only slight progress.

 FAQ UPDATE
 Syed Huq has updated the FAQs by removing modem references, providing updated
 parser and librarian information.  He has also added a s2ibis FAQ section
 taken from the original s2ibis for Version 1.1 document.

 S2IBIS2 ISSUES AND NT
 Bob Ross reported continued s2ibis2 questions and comments.  He has provided
 information to NCSU for a possible fix.  He also plans to post an interim
 fix to the resolution problem to change the printout to 4 decimal digits to
 overcome the resolution problem so that s2ibis2 can be used.   

 BIRD41.1 - MODELING SERIES SWITCHABLE DEVICES
 Bob Ross reported that he sent out a netlist to test an approach to model
 series switches.  John Fitzpatrick has been too busy or on vacation to move
 forward with BIRD41.1.  In response to a question by Stephen Peters, Bob 
 expected BIRD41.1 to still cover discrete and diode models and also series
 MOSFET switches.  There is still some possibility of a combined syntax for
 series diode tables and series switches.  Also covered is a logic table for
 stating the allowable combinations of "on" and "off" states of a component.

 Bob plans to see that BIRD41.2 is issued next week to capture the progress
 made so far.

 CONNECTOR MODELING
 Stephen Peters reported no further work.  The correlation with matrix format
 still needs to be done, but no one has time.  Bob Ross felt that this 
 proposal may not be part of IBIS Version 3.0.  He may still be willing to
 publish an existing implementation in BIRD format.  There already exists
 vendor specific implementations on how to use the data that is provided.
 It would take a lot of time and effort to come to a common agreement.

 MODELING EARLY CLAMPS IN IBIS 
 No report.

 CURRENT VERSUS TIME TABLE (IT)
 C. Kumar described a proposal where the currents at the ground and power
 nodes would also be tabulated for the associated VT table tabulations to
 give better predictions for ground and power bounce.  These currents are
 easily available from Spice deck extractions (and also from measurements).
 Kumar stressed that the voltage needed was at the buffer itself.

 Bob Ross questioned whether one or two tables was needed, since the fixture
 load already defines the output current.

 Kumar will work with Bob to organize a proposal.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next meeting is on Friday, May 30, 1997, 8:00 A.M. to 9:55 A.M.  
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Transmission-Line Products Manager, Quad Design/Viewlogic
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Vacant

 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, or send an e-mail
 request to the automatic archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================