Subject: IBIS Version 2.1 Terminology Suggestions

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 97 18:09 PDT

Ogawa-san:

Thank you for going over in detail IBIS Version 2.1.  You have revealed
some inconsistent usages of words in the text.  Per you permission, I am
sending your comments to the IBIS reflector for information.  I have also
given my suggestions along with your suggestions in the column "Bob".
I encourage anyone else who is interested to help us resolve some of these
terms.

Some major inconsistencies are related to using "part", "device", and 
"component"; "manufacturer", "silicon vendor", and "semiconductor vendor"; and
"pin name" and "pin number".

I have also copied the response I gave you for the first three comments:

Thank you very much for you input and suggested clarifications
regarding IBIS.  Your review is extremely valuable to us because
I and others are too familar with IBIS to catch the details you
have presented.  I will review each of your text comments and
get back with you with a detailed response.

Regarding your [Notes] comment, you are correct to note that IBIS
does not have any statement that restricts the location of [Notes].
There is an IMPLIED  (but UNSTATED) organization that the keywords above
the  first [Component] keyword should appear before [Component].  IBIS
did not break out the "header" keywords in the text.   There are
other problems as well - IBIS does not specify whether any of
these can appear more than once (it would be meaningless for [Date],
as an example).   We actually had to modify the parser to allow
two [Disclaimer]s because it was inadvertantly entered twice on
some stored, acceptable models.  I hope there is some correction
in IBIS.

Regarding the "GND" pin, you have discovered a problem.  Thank you
for reporting this.  Someone else also reported this problem late last
year (it also applies to the "nc", "na", and "power" reserved words).
Furthermore, we discovered that this problem also had existed in the orginal
ibis_chk for Version 1.1 of IBIS.  We have decided that this is a MISTAKE in 
both ibis_chk and ibis_chk2, but also decided not to fix it in these
parsers.  Rather, we plan to make the correction as part of the 
ibischk3 parser development project to be used with the future
IBIS Version 3.0.

I was not able to locate the [Temperature] keyword problem.  Upon
review, I can see some historically based lack of clarity.  The
intention is that the DEFAULT assumed settings (and measurement
or Spice extraction conditions) for CMOS is typ 50 deg, min 100 deg,
and max 0 deg.  BIPOLAR technology assumes typ 50 deg, min 0 deg,
and max 100 deg.

I have to review and think about each of your suggested text changes
and give you a detailed response later.  I will try to do this within
one week.  Some of your suggestions seem very reasonable to me at this
time (for example, to change all references
of "part" to "component").  In other cases, there may be some differences
in context (e.g., and actual "pin" and the reference to its "pin name").
There also may be some English implications that may not be apparent to
you.  However, it is very useful for me to examine in detail EACH of
you suggestions, because you have really revealed some inconsistencies
or needless usage of an alternative word.  Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Bob Ross
Interconnectix

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 18:58:30 +0900
From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCPi5AbiEhRkY7VhsoQg==?= <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: about_IBIS_V21

Hallow Mr. Bobb Ross

This is first e-mail to you.

 My name is  Atsushi Ogawa, belong to Memory Engineering Department 
Semiconductor Solution Engineering Division of NEC Corporation.
 My mission is technical user support.   We distributing some IBIS 
models.

But starting time( about one year ago ), obtained IBIS file was 
.ppt/.xls file!  
(Naturally my section converted it into .ibs file with handmade.)

Several of modeling engineer is a little increases currently.

Recently, I may look some illegal .ibs files.

  ex. [Notes] keyword is used after [Component] keyword.
      (This case was rejected by parser program.)

      "GND","VCC" were used as pin name in [Pin] section.
      ("GND" was rejected by parser program.)
        [Pin]  signal_name    model_name   R_pin  L_pin  C_pin
        IO     Io1            Buffer1
        AJ     In2            Input2
        GND    GND            GND
        GND1   GND            GND
        GND2   GND            GND
        VCC1   VCC            POWER
        |

      [Temperature] keyword of CMOS device becomes typ:50 ,
      min:0 , max:100.

To solve these problems, I just started a translation into 
Japanese of IBIS Ver.2.1 Spec. now.

Because I discovered lack of unity of expression, I show it 
in the following.  
I feel it wonderful if have you examine these at the time of 
next version up.

 Line    Current                       Own idea                      Bob

(I prefer to use "pin name" because of its usage for pin grid array
pin designation.)

  258    pins and signal names         pin numbers and signal names  
                                                     pin names and signal names
  261    pin name                      pin number                    pin name
 1207    pin name                      pin number                    pin name
 1209    pin name                      pin number                    pin name
 1458    pin name                      pin number                    pin name
8 place  pin number                    pin number                    pin name
8 place  [Pin Numbers]                 [Pin Numbers]                 agree

(I agree, except where noted.  I have added a change.)

    4    integrated circuit            integrated circuit            agree
  208    integrated circuit            integrated circuit            agree
6 place  [Component]                   [Component]                   agree
   25    component                     component                     agree
  113    component                     component                     agree
  201    component                     component                     agree
  210    component                     component                     agree
  212    Component Name                component                component name
  223    components manufacturer       silicon vendor       manufacturer's name
  223    Manufacturer's Name                                manufacturer's name
  235    component                     component                     agree
  257    component                     component                     agree
  260    component                     component                     agree
  564    component                     component                     agree
  711    into the component            into the component            agree
  737    component                     component                     agree

(I like your suggestion to elimnate "device".  However, I would substitue
"model" EXCEPT when it refers to the PHYSICAL device versus a model for it
(such as real device measurement versus extraction from a Spice model)

  694    TTL and CMOS device           TTL and CMOS component    
                                                            TTL and CMOS models
  695    device                        component                     model
  706    device                        [Model]                       model
  748    ECL device                    ECL component              ECL models
  874    device                        [Model]                       model
 1629    weak device                   weak component            weak device 
 1630    strong device                 strong component          strong device
 1633    typical device                typical component         typical device
 1656    bipolar device                bipolar component         bipolar device
 1657    CMOS device                   CMOS component            CMOS device
 1731    ECL type device               ECL type component        ECL type device
 1756    packaged device               packaged component        packaged device

(I agree to eliminate "part".)

  318    part                          component                 component
 1098    part                          component                 component
 1163    part                          component                 components(s)
 1702    part                          component                  device
 1807    part                          component       delete -  see 1806 below

(I prefer "semiconductor vendor" over silicon vendor" because other material
such as GaAs can be used. In some cases, manufacturer can be used.)

6 place  [Manufacturer]                [Manufacturer]
  310    company name                  silicon vendor name
                                                      semiconductor vendor name
   10    silicon vendor                silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor
   21    silicon vendor                silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor
 1705    silicon vendor                silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor
 1818    silicon vendor                silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor

 1180    semiconductor vendor          silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor
  196    manufacturer's data book      silicon vendor's data book
                                              semiconductor vendor's data book
  223    components manufacturer       silicon vendor     manufacturer's name
  224    manufacturer                  silicon vendor     manufacturer's name
  226    manufacturer                  silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor
  561    manufacturer                  silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor
  564    manufacturer                  silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor
 1163    manufacturer of the part      silicon vendor     manufacturer ...
 1167    manufacturer                  silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor
 1701    manufacturer of the part      silicon vendor     manufacturer ...
 1744    manufacturer's suggested      silicon-vendor-suggested
                                               semiconductor vendor's suggested
 1806    manufacturer of the part      silicon vendor     semiconductor vendor
                                                 
 1636    vendor-proprietary silicon    silicon-vendor-proprietary
                                             semiconductor-vendor proprietary
 1772    vendor-suggested              silicon-vendor-suggested
                                               semiconductor vendor suggested
 1773    vendor-suggested              silicon-vendor-suggested
                                               semiconductor vendor suggested
 1778    vendor-suggested              silicon-vendor-suggested
                                               semiconductor vendor suggested
 1779    vendor-suggested              silicon-vendor-suggested
                                               semiconductor vendor suggested
 1175    manufacturer of the package   manufacturer of the package    agree
 1176    manufacturer's name           name                manufacturer's name
 1178    manufacturer                  manufacturer        semiconductor vendor
 1181    manufacturers                 package-manufacturers
                                                         package manufacturers

(I agree with your change here.)

  10    simulation software vendor    simulation tool vendor         agree
   13    simulation vendor             simulation tool vendor        agree
   22    simulation vendor             simulation tool vendor        agree
 1789    simulation tool vendor        simulation tool vendor        agree

 1190    less than 60                  not exceed 59 (60?)  should be corrected
                                                           (parser misses this)

Best regards,

Atsushi Ogawa
Manager
Memory Engineering Department
Semiconductor Solution Engineering Division
NEC Corporation 

e-mail  [email-masked]