Subject: IBIS Minutes 4/18/97

From: [email-masked] ( Bob Ross)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 97 10:58 PDT

DATE: April 21, 1997

 SUBJECT: 4/18/97 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
  
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1997 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            Jeff Walden
 Applied Simulation Technology  Dileep Divekar, Norio Matsui, Raj Raghuram*
 Cadence Design                 C. Kumar, Don Telian
 Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu
 Hewlett Packard, EEsof         Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 High Design Technology         (Razvan Ene)
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES                        Olaf Rethmeier*
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*
 Interconnectix                 Bob Ross*
 Mitsubushi                     Tam Cao
 Motorola                       Ahmed Omer
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Cheng-Yang Kao, Mike Bristol,
				Peter Laflamme, Kevin Smith, 
 NCR                            Dave Moxley*, Richard Mellitz
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
 Quad Design/Viewlogic          Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek
 Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
 Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF               (Jean LeBrun)
 UniCAD Canada Ltd.             (Celso Faia)
 VeriBest                       Ian Dodd*, William Bell
 VLSI Technology                Harish Patel, D.C. Sessions,
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie)
 
 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1997:
 3M                             Fran Hart
 Actel                          Scott Schlachter
 Acuson & Free Model Foundation Richard Munden
 Alcatel                        John Fitzpatrick*
 Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
 Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
 Compaq                         Weston Beal
 EIA                            Patti Rusher
 EMC                            Fabrizio Zanella
 Micron Technology              Brian Johnson                      
 Molex                          Gus Panella
 North Carolina State U.        (Michael Steer)
 S3, Inc.                       Porsh Shih, Sarathy Sribhashyam
 Ultratest International        Charles Im
 Zeelan Technology              George Opsahl 

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
     
      Date       Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode  
      5/9/97     (916) 356-9200   1-137661         81111263
      5/30/97    (916) 356-9200   1-137662         1259125

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.
 
 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
 Raj Raghuram of Applied Simulation Technology called in for Dileep Divekar.

 MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Bob Ross reported that High Design Technology in Italy has become a full
 EIA/IBIS Open Forum member and has also purchased the source code license for
 ibischk2.

 Bob Ross reported that he had not received any update from the previously
 reported figure of $10,129 in the EIA/IBIS account.

 REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
 Mike Ventham's name and company Quantic EMC, Inc. were corrected in the list
 of EIA/IBIS and EIAJ meeting participants.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Bob Ross will prepare and present a 2 hour IBIS Modeling Workshop at PCB EAST
 in Boston in September 17, 1997.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Bob Ross reported that IBIS was mentioned in "PC-Board Designers Insist on
 Standards", EE Times, April 7 1997, p. 45.
 
 IBIS was also mentioned in "CPLD Complexity Raises Package-selection Issues",
 Computer Design, April 1997, pp. 14-18.  Bob also talked to an editor and 
 there may be a small IBIS update in a future issue of Computer Design.

 NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
 Bob Ross reported that Zeelan Technology now offers a large library of IBIS 
 models.  Their home page is at:

   http://www.zeelan.com

 Duet Technologies adds IBIS model development to their services.  Information
 is at:

   http://www.deuttech.com/ibis.html

 Bob also noted that Texas Instruments provides IBIS models that are on their
 Web site on the CD ROM "Logic Selection Guide and Databook".  (They may not be
 available through the interface, but are accessible directly from the disk).

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 None.

 DESIGN AUTOMATION CONFERENCE 1997 IBIS MEETING PLANNING
 Bob Ross reported that Patti Rusher plans to schedule a meeting room for the
 EIA/IBIS Summit meeting on Thursday, June 12, 1997 in Anaheim, California.

 The topics should hopefully be a business meeting leading to IBIS Version 3.0
 ratification and also election of new IBIS officers.  A conference call line
 will be available during the morning business session.  There should also
 be time for presentations.  Bob asked Syed Huq to handle the agenda and
 presentation details.  Syed will send out a request for presentations.

 INTERNATIONAL PROGRESS
 No report on IBIS Version 2.1 international ratification.  Bob Ross indicated
 that the EIAJ working group met with the package committee group.

 IBIS COOKBOOK PROGRESS
 Stephen Peters reported only slight progress.

 FAQ UPDATE
 Syed Huq reported that he did not receive any information for updating the FAQ
 section of the IBIS Home page.  Bob Ross had looked at the FAQs and noted some
 obvious corrections including deleting references to e-mail and modem access
 to vhdl.org and making some address corrections.  Syed wanted to include some
 s2ibis FAQs.  Bob noted that the s2ibis Version 1.3 contained some FAQs, and
 Syed should start with these.  There are no FAQs for s2ibis2.  Ian Dodd stated
 that VeriBest has some FAQs which he would be willing to make public.  However,
 they contain references to some copyrighted Spice models.  If he receives 
 permission, he would make the FAQs publicly available.

 AR - Everyone review the FAQ's and e-mail suggestions to Syed Huq.

 S2IBIS2 ISSUES AND NT
 Ian Dodd reported that they had been working with an earlier version and got
 a newer version.  The most recent version contains some of the fixes to their
 previous problems.  However, they still need to change some code since a
 Microsoft compiler handles certain constructs related to file locking 
 differently than a UNIX compiler.  Regarding s2ibis2, VeriBest would like 
 to have more testing done before releasing it.  Bob Ross suggested that when
 they are ready to release the source code, it could be stored on vhdl.org or
 at the VeriBest site.

 Bob also mentioned that he communicated an extrapolation difference and a
 resolution (number of digits) printout problem to NCSU between s2ibis and
 s2ibis2.  The resolution problem can cause as much as a 10% jump in data from, 
 say, 0.10 to 0.11.  Ian Dodd stated that their version of s2ibis offers an 
 engineering notation option that gets around this.  Arpad Muranyi uses 
 scientific notation with plenty of digits in his utility.

 BIRD36.3 ELECTRICAL DESCRIPTIONS OF BOARDS
 Stephen Peters called for a vote on BIRD36.3 which has been out for several
 weeks.  There was no further discussion. 

 BIRD36.3 was approved unanimously with Applied Simulation Technology abstaining.

 CONNECTOR MODELING
 Stephen Peters has received information from Jon Powell.  Jon did not have time
 to do some data comparison tests.  Arpad Muranyi asked if the nodal issue had
 been resolved and Stephen responded that there had been some general agreement 
 regarding a matrix format that included an efficient data storage method for
 large matrices.  The fundamental decision made at the January meeting was to 
 separate the electrical board description (BIRD36.3) and the connector model 
 format description.  Bob Ross suggested generating a proposal.  This proposal 
 should not delay ratification of IBIS Version 3.0 since the connector model 
 format can be handled by an independent file.

 AR - Bob Ross work with Stephen Peters to generate a BIRD.

 BIRD41.1 - MODELING SERIES SWITCHABLE DEVICES
 John Fitzpatrick started the discussion by raising the question of whether
 enough electrical information was given to model bus switches.  He had done
 some preliminary work and sent out some .pdf files (large, binary files are 
 often delayed in transmission and may be corrupted by different operating
 systems).  Bob Ross and John discussed options and formats for switch tables 
 as a function of R_load or other parameters.  John sees the need for such a 
 subparameter; Bob would like to avoid that detail or to have multiple tables.  
 This issue is not yet resolved.  Bob, John, and Arpad Muranyi also discussed 
 IV and Resistance-V formats and possible interpolation differences.  Stephen 
 Peters asked how different gate voltages would be handled, and Bob suggested 
 using the min and max columns for worst case (highest resistance) and best 
 case (lowest resistance) cases.  (This would cover tolerance situations, but 
 not bias changes in the gate voltage.)  Bob also mentioned one series switch
 application of using the dynamic resistance to transform 5 V level logic to
 3.3 V inputs.  John asked if there were equations that could be fitted, and 
 Arpad suggested the standard FET equations (for both the linear and saturated 
 regions).

 Bob wanted clarification that the [Series Impedance] keyword considered series
 diodes separately.  Johns clarified that this was already covered in BIRD41.1
 using the same table with an R_load of 0 ohms to create and IV curve as a
 function of voltage across the series diode.  There was some discussion, 
 regarding the "Impedance" syntax for IV tables.

 Discrete series elements (R_series, L_series, C_series, C_r_series, L_r_series,
 and L_c_series) were discussed.  Initially Bob favored fewer elements cascaded
 in series, but saw the benefits of a more generalized topology which allowed
 the series block to have three parallel paths.  This would allow a series
 connection of a parallel RC or LR network, or some more general configurations.
 Bob was concerned with whether the simulator vendors would support the more
 generalized topology.  John will keep it in the proposal.

 John proposed using a State table as a function of control pin settings and 
 questioned if this is more useful for simulators.  Bob felt that simulators
 do not process logic and therefore would not use these additions.  These
 pins could still be documented using comment statements.  John will use
 Bob's alternative proposal.  Bob suggested modifying it so that the "Off"
 States would not be required if the "On" States were given, and visa-versa,
 to simplify and make more readable the State choices.

 John mentioned the measurement range considerations, but this discussion was
 deferred.

 Bob and John discussed whether lumped components could be used in series
 with the table components.  After some discussion, they agreed it was simpler
 to restrict the combined usage.

 John would like to try out Spice models of the switch, and Bob suggested that 
 the TI Spice models which John already has should contain the CBT technology.

 AR - John Fitzpatrick take into account the above comments and issue BIRD41.2
 for further discussion.

 MODELING EARLY CLAMPS IN IBIS 
 Arpad Muranyi reported no further work.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next meeting is on Friday, May 9, 1997, 8:00 A.M. to 9:55 A.M.  
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 603-2523, Fax (503) 639-3469
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix
	     10220 SW Nimbus Ave, K4, Portland, OR 97223

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Transmission-Line Products Manager, Quad Design/Viewlogic
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
 SECRETARY:  Vacant

 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       vhdl.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via ftp anonymous, or send an e-mail
 request to the automatic archive server, [email-masked].
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================