Subject: IBIS Open Forum Minutes 6 Nov 1998

From: Matthew Flora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:59:57 -0100

DATE: 11/10/98

SUBJECT: 11/6/98 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
   
VOTING MEMBERS AND 1998 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
AMP                            (Martin Freedman) 
Applied Simulation Technology  Norio Matsui, Raj Raghuram*
Cadence Design (& UniCAD)      C. Kumar, Don Telian, Patrick Riffault, 
                               Craig Lewis, Greg Fitzgerald, Paul Galloway,
                               Patrick Dos Santos, Catherine Weiss, 
                               Alain Tribaudot, Geoffrey Ellis,
                               Todd Westerhoff*, Ken Willis, Mike LaBonte*
Cisco Systems                  Syed Huq*, Sergio Camerlo, Irfan Elahi
Compaq                         Shariq Rahma, Jeff Chu, Bob Haller*, 
  (Digital Equipment Corp.)    Doug Burns, Steve Coe
Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
H.A.S. Electronics             Haruny Said
Hewlett Packard (EEsof, etc.)  Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu, Paul Gregory,
                               Brenda Arena
High Design Technology         Razvan Ene
HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli, Matthew Flora*, Gene Garat,
                               Dave Kohlmeier
Incases                        Olaf Rethmeier, Scott Jacobson,
                               Werner Rissiek
Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Frank Kern,
  (& formerly NCR)             Will Hobbs, Prakash Radhakrishnan,
                               Mohammed Hawana, Martin Chang, Dave Moxley,
                               Tim Schreyer, Lynn Dell*
LSI Logic (Symbios Logic)      Larry Barnes
Mentor Graphics (Zeelan,       Bob Ross*, George Opsahl, Mark Noneman,
  Interconnectix, etc.)        Tom Dagostino, Karine Loudet, Jean Oudinot,
                               Manuel De Almeida, Stephane Rousseau, 
                               Neven Orhanovic*, Mohamed Mahmoud, Kevin Cohan
Mitsubishi                     Tam Cao
Motorola                       (Ron Werner)
National Semiconductor         Cheng-Yang Kao, John Goldie, Ikchang Song,
                               Milt Schwartz*
North East Systems Associates  Edward Sayre, Kathy Breda, Michael Baxter,
  (NESA)                       Jon Green, Jinhua Chen
NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher, Harvey Stiegler,
                               Vincent Chang, Jean-Claude Perrin,
                               Peter Forstner
Thomson-CSF                    Jean-Marc Claveau, Laurent Duzaic,
                               Saverio Lerose, Benoit Meyniel,
                               Jean Lefebvre  
Viewlogic                      Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek, Guy de Burgh, 
                               Gary Mandel
VeriBest                       Ian Dodd, David Weins, Ian Gabbitas
VLSI Technology                D.C. Sessions
Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie) 

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1998:
3Com                           Steve Miller
3Dfx Interactive               Ken Wu
A.T.Sinker                     Tony Sinker
Actel                          Eric Tardif, Emmonvelle Gaudin 
Aerospatiale                   Lionel Dreux, Claude Huet
Alcatel (Bell, Espace, etc.)   John Fitzpatrick, W. Temmerman, 
                               Laure Bessettes, Jean-Claude Pourtau,
                               Daniel Peron
ALS Design                     Yves Mouquet
Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
Apple                          Fred Floresca, Danny Itani
Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
Atmel                          Ali Baktashian
Avanti                         Nik Bannov*
CERN                           Olivier Clere, Jean-Michel Sainson, 
                               Rudi Zurbroken
Corning                        John Nieznanski
Crucial Technology             Rathna Reddy
DIVA Corp                      Tieng Nguyen
Dynamic Research Corporation   Mike Walsh
EIA                            Patti Rusher*
EMC                            Fawn Engelmann, Fabrizio Zanella*
ENST, Paris                    Jean-Jacques Charlot
European CAD Standardization   Adam Morawiec
  Intitiative (ECSI)
Fairchild Semiconductor        Peter LaFlamme
Focus Technology               John Salzillo, Gary Brophy,  Mike Arieta,
                               Jim Skane
IBM                            Richard Steinle, Kevin Jackson, Greg Edlund*
InRange                        Elliot Lipin
Intracon Design Ltd.           Derek Laidlaw
Philips Semiconductor          Todd Andersen
Rockwell Semiconductor         Tim Gilbert
Scottish Electronics           Robert Easson
  Manufacturing Center (SEMC)
Seagate                        Vanessa Howard
Signal Integrity Software      Barry Katz
SGS-Thomson                    Philippe Lefevre
Siemens                        Gerald Bannert, Bernhard Unger, 
                               Christian Marot, Miguel Hernandez,
                               Gil Russell
SSEI                           Tom Hawkins
Stratus                        Bruce Heilbrunn, Steve Mango, Lewis Steiner, 
                               Karla Eignor, Rich Newell
Summit Computer Systems        Bob Davis
Sun Microsystems               Lam Dong, Kevin Ko, Tay Ansari, Ken Weiss
Symmetry                       Andy Hughes
Tektronix                      Nassrin Ghahyasi, Tom Brinkoetter*,
                               Brad Webb*, John Rettig*
Teradyne                       Michael Khusid
TranSwitch                     Bill Todd
TRILOGIC                       Joe Socha
Ultratest International        Chris O'Connor
Xilinx                         Susan Wu

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
follows:
  
  Date               Bridge Number     Reservation #    Passcode
  November 20, 1998  (916) 356-9200    3-241992         5578793
  Monday, December 7, 1998 IBIS Summit Meeting - No Teleconference
  December 18, 1998  (916) 356-9200    3-241993         1195347

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
7 days before each Open Forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
Tom Brinkoetter, Brad Webb, and John Rettig joined from Tektronix to discuss
the IPA 510 Software Transfer Agreement offer to the EIA IBIS Open Forum.

Lynn Dell from Intel joined primarily because of interest in the IPA 510 
topic.

Mike LaBonte of Cadence is involved in software development for EDA tools
which use IBIS models.

Greg Edlund joined from IBM.  He is a signal integrity engineer involved
initially in IBIS library creation and tool investigation.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
As previously announced, H.A.S. Electronics is now an official EIA IBIS Open
Forum Member

Bob Ross stated that Cisco Systems is also a full member.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
No corrections were noted for the September 18, 1998 and October 15, 1998
meeting minutes.  The ARs will be discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
Bob Ross announced a policy decision regarding listing of names on the
participation list above.  In the past we have kept names in square brackets,
even when the individual has left the company in order to document the
total scope of company participation.  However, we understand that this may
not be what the previous company or the individual wants.  So we will remove
the name when requested by the previous company, or by the individual or when
notified of an address change by the individual.

However, we will add back the names in square brackets to the last minutes
of the year that are archived so we have a participation record for that
year.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Bob Ross reported the informative article "IBIS Evolves, Keeping Pace with
Signal Integrity Issues: in the October 1998 issue of Printed Circuit Design, 
pp. 34-37 by Jon Powell and Don Mazur.  Also there was mention of IBIS in the
cover story article "Right the First Time, Enjoying the Full Measure of
Library Management" by Randall Hartgrove, pp. 13-18 and 54. 

Bob also reported that "Free Utilities at Intusoft Site" in the October 19,
1998 issue of Electrical Engineering Times states that a free IBIS-to-Spice
is available from http://www.intusoft.com.  The press release also was printed
in the November, 1998 issue of Printed Circuit Design on Page 56.

Bob reported another article "Interconnectix Launches IBIS Models, Services"
in the October 5, 1998 issue of Electrical Engineering Times, pg. 41 by
Michael Santarini.

Bob noted that a new EIA Web location http://www.eigroup.org is implemented,
but the existing links are being maintained.   Syed Huq added that the
existing links will be kept via aliases, even if the IBIS directories are
moved to a new site.

Syed did a number of EIA IBIS Home page updates.  He added a new Support page
for direct email contact to the reflector and IBIS Model Review process.
Syed added an Upcoming Events page for IBIS Summit registrations and contact.

Also Syed stated that a large number of IBIS home page updates occurred in the
roster, logo page and other areas.

Bob noted that among the additional updates a link to the free Intusoft IBIS
to Spice Free Utility utility under the newly named Free Tools link was added.
Also a link to the EIAJ standard modeling group page was added in the Specs
page.  The link is 

  http://tsc.eiaj.or.jp/tsc/SSC/iopg.htm

Bob noted that some pages in Version 1.1 of IMIC are corrupted.  However, the
document is expected to be fixed soon.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
Matthew Flora reported that an American Microsystems, Inc. link for clock
buffers has several IBIS models:

  http://www.amis.com/tgp

Bob Ross reported the revised Atmel page with EPROM buffers:

  http://www.atmel.com/atmel/products/prod93.htm

Motorola ECL/LCX changed to:

  http://mot2.mot-sps.com/models/bin/logic_ic.html

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) has a library of IBIS models at:

  http://www.amd.com/products/nvd/tools/fusion/ibis_models.html

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
- Patti Rusher asked Bob to contact Britt Brooks of the Compact Modeling
  Council regarding BSIM3 Version 3.2 standardization developments.
- Bob Ross added BUG33 - Infinite Loop with Decreasing V/I Bad End Voltage
- Also, Bob added the proposed golden parser enhancement discussion during
  the meeting.

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-1 (IBIS Version 2.1) - Patti Rusher stated that the standard is
  being distributed and reviewed very quickly.  Bob Ross noted that the
  results of the September 23-25, 1998 IEC meeting in London were discussed
  in the last minutes.

  Bob had noted that the ratification of IEC 62014-1 was delayed because the
  IBIS Version 2.1 document had not been forwarded to the IEC Central Office
  for distribution.  Patti Rusher properly forwarded the document, and it will
  be sent out for Committee Draft for Vote (CDV) on a fast track basis which
  should take about a year.  

  Added note later in the meeting: Patti reported that Hajimu Mori has been 
  named as co-chair of WG6 and that two US technical experts have been added: 
  John Keets of SI2 and Jim St. Pierre of NIST.

  Patti also noted that Tabuchi-san of the Japanese delegation wants the
  IBIS committee to cooperate with the EIAJ committee regarding further work.
  Patti stated that the IMIC could fall under IEC TC93 activity working with 
  the IBIS Open Forum or work through JEDEC.  (Interaction has begun, as
  discussed below.)

- pr EIAJ ED-5302 Standard for I/O Interface Model for Integrated Circuits
  (IMIC) - As previously reported, Bob Ross noted that he along with Will
  Hobbs (past Chair of the EIA IBIS Open Forum) and Stephen Peters 
  (Vice-Chair), both from Intel, and some model and simulator development
  people from Mentor Graphics had recently met with Dr. Hideki Fukuda, Chair
  of the EIAJ committee on I/O Model for Integrated Circuits (IMIC).  Ed Sayre
  and the staff at NESA had also had met with Dr. Fukuda.  The agendas were
  to get more information and to investigate whether IBIS and IMIC can and
  should be merged or linked in some manner.

  In subsequent conversations, Bob responded to Dr. Fukuda's request to see
  whether the IBIS and IMIC activities could be merged.  Bob's response was
  that such discussions would occur for Version 4.X IBIS since years of work
  and much corporate commitment exists for the current Version 3.1 and pending
  Version 3.2 levels of IBIS. 

  However, to facilitate interaction, Bob asked Stephen Peters and Raj
  Raghuram to join him to review IMIC with respect to technical and practical
  concerns.  Others are invited to join.  This group will serve as a focal
  point for interaction with the EIAJ committee.  Bob noted briefly that there 
  exists several options: Continue as independent activities (with possible 
  translator connections), have weak linkage (such as IBIS calling certain 
  IMIC package and buffer models), or totally merge the documents.

- IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation - Bob Ross reported from a note from
  Jean-Claude Perrin, task force Chair under WG6.  Jean-Claude reported that
  the task force met on September 22, 1998 and it decided to operate at zero
  level working on a PNW (Preliminary New Work Item).  The first activity is
  to work on EMC modelization involving power supply emission driven by the
  internal clock activity of the device.

- JC-16.2 Subcommittee: Modeling and Test - Bob Ross noted that the co-located
  JEDEC JC-16.2 and IBIS Meeting will be discussed below.

- IEEE P1537 Electronic Data Format Project (Previously listed as the Standard
  Component Data Sheet) - Bob Ross noted that  Stephen Peters has been
  following the activity.  Stephen confirmed that he will probably not attend
  the November 11-12, 1998 meeting.

IBIS (EAST) USERS GROUP MEETINGS
Bob Haller reported on the most recent (November 5, 1998) Accuracy Committee
meeting that the main discussion involved the DesignCon99 paper preparation,
DesignCon99 booth (discussed later), and review of the constructive feedback
on the draft document.

Greg Edlund added that tasks include finishing the rough draft (filling in the
missing sections), publishing the test design, writing an application note,
and providing feedback on the comments.

Fabrizio Zanella stated that work has been continuing in several Connector
Committee meetings on the Connector BIRD, with the intention of having it
ready for the February 1999 DesignCon99 meeting.

IBISEAST OCTOBER 15, 1998 SUMMIT FEEDBACK
Bob Ross asked for some feedback regarding the IBIS Summit Meeting.  Bob
Haller and Greg Edlund responded that they felt the presentations were very
good and informative.  They appreciated the feedback on the draft Accuracy 
Specification and plan to examine adding VT tables to the documents.  They
have provided a positive response to the reflector. 

Greg also noted that they appreciated Will Hobbs' presentation to move forward
rapidly and to have the IBIS document keep pace with technology.

Bob Ross felt this was a very good meeting but it may have been too packed.
As previously noted, there were 10 presentations, an introductory
presentation, a tutorial, and five demos.  We may not have had as much
interactive discussion as in other meetings.

As previously noted 50 people from 29 organizations attended.  The meeting was
supported financially by 7 companies.  Kathy Breda of NESA provide the
logistics support by coordinated the meeting and free lunch arrangements, 
collecting and copying the presentations, and handling a lot of other details.

Added note: All of the documentation and presentations for the meeting have
been uploaded at:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/summits/oct98.

JEDEC/IBIS DECEMBER 7, 1998 SUMMIT MEETING
Bob Ross introduced the JEDEC Meeting scheduled in San Diego, California on
Monday, December 7, 1998 from 12 Noon to 5 PM.  The meeting will start with a
free buffet lunch.  It is co-located with the JEDEC meetings to promote
interaction with the JEDEC JC-16.2 group on Modeling and Test.

Patti Rusher noted that there are few sign-ups to date.  Bob mentioned that
this is typical since most sign-ups occur at the last minute.  Several other
people at the meeting indicated plans to attend.

Bob invited JEDEC JC-16.2 members to give some general presentations for
interactive discussions.  Bob also noted that we might be able to discuss
some IMIC issues.

The JEDEC JC-16.2 meeting will occur on Tuesday morning, December 8, 1998.
The IBIS Forum is invited to give a general overview of IBIS, and Stephen
Peters will consider doing this presentation.

Added note: Contact Patti Rusher ([email-masked]) or through the EIA IBIS
home page Upcoming Events link to register for either or both the IBIS Summit
meeting and any JEDEC meeting.  The deadline for JEDEC registration is 
November 11, 1998.  Information has been sent out per the previous AR.

DESIGNCON99 FEBRUARY 1, 1999 SUMMIT MEETING
Bob Ross summarized that the IBIS Open Forum had accepted the proposal of
being an Associate Sponsor of DesignCon99 at the October 15, 1998 IBIS Summit
meeting.  Among the benefits, DesignCon99 would provide the IBIS Open Forum
a meeting room, food and refreshments for the IBIS Summit Meeting on Monday,
February 1, 1999 and also provide us a 10 by 10 booth.

Bob reported that National Semiconductor will also be a co-sponsor by possibly
providing a buffet lunch beyond what DesignCon99 is offering.  Milt Schwartz
agreed to provide logistical support by helping in sign-up and in collecting
and copying presentations.  National Semiconductor has sponsored and funded
all of the previous meetings.

Bob asked, and Patti Rusher responded that EIA has not yet been in contact 
with DesignCon99 to formalize the contract.

Bob noted that he will be confirming with Jon Powell on whether Jon will
coordinate the booth activity.  Bob also is planning that the booth be used
for the Accuracy Committee hardware demo.  Greg Edlund noted that the 
Accuracy Committee has arranged for more Hewlett-Packard equipment than at
the October 15, 1998 Summit meeting and is planning to use the booth.  Greg
asked if a CAE vendor could also be in the booth to show simulations that
correlate with measurement.  Bob stated that we should not provide such a
a single EDA vendor presentation in order to preserve the IBIS vendor-neutral
basis of operation.  Instead, IBIS Open Forum member companies may have 
placards at the booth and provide directions to their booths at the show.
Information can be distributed, and IBIS members can meet and participate in 
the booth to discuss IBIS activities with others.

VERSION 3.2 PARSER DEVELOPMENT
Bob Ross noted that the preliminary parser for ibischk3 Version 3.2.0 had
been distributed, and preliminary Version 3.2.1 with some fixes has just
been sent out by Matthew Flora on November 2, 1998.  The parser source and
Windows executable was sent to the 12 companies funding the project.

Bob noted the BIRDs and BUGs fixed in each release:

Version 3.2.0:

  [Add Submodel] and [Submodel] (Birds 48.3, 49.4, 50.3)
  Relaxation of file name restrictions (Bird46.1)
  3-state_ECL model type (BIRD51)
  BUG25 and BUG30

Version 3.2.1:

  BUG30 improvements ([Pin Mapping] tests
  Pending BUG32 (discussed below)
  Other fixes and wording

Bob noted that he used the parser and corrected a mistake in the sample file 
for dynamic clamps stored as;

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/samples/ver3.2/dclamptr.ibs

Nik Bannov asked if non-member companies can purchase the parser.  Bob's 
response was yes.  Furthermore, in response to Nik's question, the purchase
of any source code license for any parser such as for ibischk3 applies to
ALL releases including FUTURE upgrades.  For example all companies who have
purchased the Version 3.0 license will get source code parser updates for
all subsequent 3.X versions.  There is no additional charge for the upgrades.

Bob noted that there was some email discussion on the ibischk-bug reflector
between Atul Agarwal, Chris Rokusek and Matthew Flora regarding some ibischk3
global variables.  Matthew gave some background and will supply agreed upon
fixes to Atul where needed.  No BUG report is needed for this.

Matthew stated who is on the ibischk-bug list.  The list was set up originally 
to facilitate communications among a group dealing with ibischk3 project and 
technical details.  Much of the detailed bug reporting/fixing decisions may
not be of general interest.  Occasionally some of the BUGs and responses are 
sent to the IBIS reflector.  Bob noted that anyone can join the ibischk-bug 
list and encourage any individual who has an interest in the ibischk3 project 
details to contact Matthew Flora (addresses are at the end). 

While the email list for ibischk3 source code distribution consists of just
one contact address for each of the 12 funding members, Matthew is willing
to expand the list to include other people within the 12 companies so that
they get the code immediately.  Contact Matthew if you want to be added to
the source code distribution list.

VERSION 3.2 RATIFICATION
Bob Ross noted that he is planning meetings on Friday, November 20, 1998
and Friday, December 18, 1998 so that we can ratify IBIS Version 3.2 at
the December meeting.  We have to close some issues, do some more editorial
review and generate the documents for a formal vote.

Matthew Flora later commented on lack of clarity regarding usage of NA in
VT tables - per some recent reflector email.  Bob felt this could be dealt
with as an editorial fix on the document in preparation for ratification
(versus generating a BIRD).

Bob indicated that he may upload a new unofficial IBIS document ver3_2c.ibs
per official ratification of the BIRDs to be discussed later.

Added note: ver3_2c.ibs has been uploaded under 

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/wip/ver3_2.c

Bob noted that the editing committee BNF AR remains.

AR - Bob Ross generate and post a BNF for IBIS Version 3.0 (an IBIS Version
3.0 ratification AR).

TEKTRONIX IPA 510 SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION PROPOSAL
Brad Webb and other Tektronix people summarized the background of a proposal
to transfer the Tektronix IPA 510 software to the EIA IBIS Open Forum.
Tektronix has discontinued support for IPA 510 product for business reasons.  
However, Tektronix would still like it to be supported because it is still
useful for promoting hardware sales.  The IPA 510 is used to extract model
information from the results of TDR measurements.  The associated hardware
system is still being sold.  Mentor Graphics suggested that Tektronix contact
the IBIS Open Forum since the product has been used for IBIS model parameter
extraction.  Syed Huq reported that he used the software to get package model
and C_comp information as well as to extract VT tables.

Tektronix wants the IPA 510 software to be maintained and upgraded.  In
response to some discussions, Tektronix generated a Software Transfer
Agreement for review by EIA, the contracting body, on behalf of the IBIS
Open Forum.  Patti Rusher reported that the EIA legal department had reviewed
the document and found it acceptable.

Bob Ross summarized the key points of the agreement (some of the formal
language is not included below):

  Tektronix assigns free of charge all rights, title, and interest in the
  IPA 510 software to the IBIS Open Forum, subject to a royalty-free perpetual
  license to Tektronix to make, use, sell, license, and generate derivative
  works.  The software is delivered as is.  Legal disclaimers are included.

  The IBIS Open Forum agrees to maintain and support the IPA 510 software and
  make available executable copies without cost.

  The IBIS Open Forum agrees to ONLY provide source code to users who are 
  willing to provide back to the IBIS Open Forum any source code enhancements.

Patti Rusher reported that the EIA legal department had reviewed the document
and found it acceptable.

A general discussion then took place.  Most of the points are captured below.

Several people endorsed the software.  Syed reported that the software was in
good shape and "bug free".  Fabrizio Zanella and Raj Raghuram questioned
further why Tektronix was doing this and how this relates to IBIS.  The
Tektronix people elaborated that for business reasons Tektronix could not 
provide further support.  Others stated that it could be used for model 
parameter extraction.  Existing and future customers of their hardware product 
may need to do IPA 510 software upgrades.

Bob was most concerned about what the expectations were regarding source code
distribution.  The Tektronix people had in mind a GNU type license moderated
by a "gate-keeper" who would maintain the software and make upgrades.  Bob 
validated that Tektronix expected more than just a software "shrink wrap" 
license distribution for just agreeing to the terms, but without provisions 
for software upgrades.  A number of "what if" scenarios were discussed.

While the executables are useful as is, they are configured only for Windows
95.  The output syntax follows the PSpice format.  The product manual is
included in the executable softwares.  Bob asked, and Tektronix responded
that they would deliver the executable without the license plug ("dongle").
So even existing users would have added flexibility on where to use the
software.

The general consensus at the meeting was to move forward.  There did not
appear to be any problems regarding direct distribution of the executable
code from a Web link.  However, more investigation is needed regarding how to 
handle source code distribution.

Bob proposed that Patti and Bob work with the EIA legal staff to generate an
amended Software Transfer Agreement for the purposes of transferring only the
IPA 510 executable.  This can be accomplished rapidly and mostly involves
deleting the source code distribution paragraph of the existing Agreement.

AR - Bob Ross and Patti Rusher generate a revised Agreement to transfer only
the IPA 510 executable code to the IBIS Open Forum.

This could be approved at the next meeting.

Patti suggested further work is needed to document more clearly the 
expectations and terms for source code transfer.  Bob suggested he, Syed, and 
Patti work on such details on how the IBIS Open Forum would actually manage
the source code.  The general description of these details would be added to
a DIFFERENT Software Transfer Agreement for the source code.  This Agreement
would then be sent back to Tektronix.

AR - Bob Ross, Syed Huq, and Patti Rusher work on details for a Software
Transfer Agreement for the Source code.

COOKBOOK STATUS
(Not Discussed)

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE DISCUSSION
Bob Ross noted briefly that Matthew Flora has distributed IBIS models from
Motorola, CERN, Galileo for review.  Bob also stated that he and probably 
others have been too busy to respond yet.  Bob does plan to respond shortly.

(Matthew Flora is the contact person with contact information listed below
and with the new IBIS Support link from the EIA IBIS home page noted above.
The existing AR remains in effect:

AR - Matthew Flora issue to the IBIS reflector a short write-up on the IBIS
Model Review Committee.

BIRD54 - Package Model Corrections (VOTE)
Bob Ross briefly noted that BIRD54 was issued to correct an unintended mistake
in the IBIS Version 3.1 document.  IBIS Version 3.1 supports uncoupled,
cascaded transmission line sections in the package model description, but
one section implied that the existing Version 2.1 Matrix format was still
required.  The release ibischk3, version 3.1.0 parser supports this mistake
per compliance with the document.  BIRD54 modifies some tables and notes
to clarify when the Matrix format is not required.

BIRD54 was approved by unanimous vote.

BUG32 - Package Model Lumped and Distributed Syntax Not Correct
Bob Ross classified BUG32 as Severe and High as a result of BIRD54 approval.
It is Closed pending check out as a result of it already being fixed in the
distributed preliminary ibischk3 version 3.2.1.  [Done]

BIRD55 - [Model Spec] Vmeas Addition
Bob Ross introduced BUG55 by noting that the Vmeas value may differ for some
technologies such as PECL with min and max column [Model] tables.  Arpad
Muranyi questioned the meaning of min and max columns, and Bob responded that
within the [Model] keyword, most (except for C_comp) typ-min-max columns are
to be used together to define the typical, slow-weak, and fast-strong corners.
In all cases the min column for the various supply voltages are also the 
numerically lowest magnitude values.  Similarly, the max column for the 
various supply voltages are for the numerically largest magnitude values. 
With PECL technology, the min and max column supply values can vary in a 
manner which causes a currently defined fixed Vmeas point to not be what is 
intended (or even out of operating range) for min and max column model 
simulation.  CMOS technology specified as a percentage of Vcc would have a
similar problem.

The proposal is to modify the existing [Model Spec] keyword to include the
Vmeas subparameter.  The keyword already supports typ-min-max column entries
for specification data.

Even though the general consensus was in support of BIRD55, not enough time 
remained to conclude the discussion and vote on BIRD55.  The discussion will
be continued, and a vote is scheduled on BIRD55 at the next meeting.

Todd Westerhoff noted that other parameters for detailed flight time
specification might be needed.

SERIES ELEMENTS RESTRICTION
(No discussion)

100 POINT BIRD?
(Not discussion)

EIAJ IMIC TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Since little time remained, Bob Ross suggested technical discussion of IMIC
could be added as a topic to the IBIS Summit meeting on December 7, 1998.

BUG31 - Error for [Pulldown] Decreasing Current Should be Warning
(No discussion)

BUG33 - Infinite Loop with Decreasing V/I Bad End Voltage (New Item)
Bob noted briefly that Matthew Flora discovered a hang condition and knows how
to fix the problem.  Bob classified BUG33 as Severe, High, and Open.  Matthew
should report the fix to Atul Agarwal.

PROPOSED GOLDEN PARSER ENHANCEMENTS (New Item)
As a new item Matthew Flora indicated that there were some enhancements needed
to ibischk3 to catch some more mistakes IBIS model developers typically make.

Bob Ross stated that the main priority is to finalize ibischk3 Version 3.2.x
for compliance with the pending IBIS Version 3.2.  Further enhancements are
valuable, but could be deferred to a later ibischk3 release after parser
and specification ratification.

The exact set of proposed enhancements would eventually be documented and
reviewed through the BUG document process.

NEXT MEETING:
The following meeting will be on Friday, November 20, 1998 from 8:00 AM to 
10:00 AM.  A vote on BIRD55 is scheduled.

==============================================================================
                                      NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 685-0732, Fax (503) 685-4897
            [email-masked]
            Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix BU of Mentor Graphics
            8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070

VICE CHAIR: Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
            [email-masked]
            Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S JF1-56
            2111 NE 25th Ave. 
            Hillsboro, Oregon 97124-5961

SECRETARY:  Matthew Flora (425) 869-2320, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            [email-masked]
            Senior Engineer, HyperLynx, Inc.
            17641 NE 67th Court
            Redmond, WA 98052

LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
            [email-masked]
            Senior Scientist, Viewlogic Systems(formerly Quad Design)
            1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  [email-masked]
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
      or both.  State your request.

  [email-masked]
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt, 
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, & /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt
      respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
Electronic Information Group under:

  http://www.eia.org

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous 
discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
==============================================================================