Subject: RE: non-monotonicity

From: tomda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:15:16 -0700

The IV waveforms that I am talking about have typically shown this behavior 
between -0.8 and
-0.4V when the output is in the low state.  I don't recall off the top of 
my head which devices showed this characteristic but they included both 
CMOS and bipolar devices.

Tom Dagostino

-----Original Message-----
From:	Muranyi, Arpad [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, August 13, 1998 8:02 AM
To:	"[email-masked]'" ; "tomda"
Cc:	"'Geoffrey Ellis'" ; "[email-masked]" ; "[email-masked]"
Subject:	RE: non-monotonicity

I have also seen such I-V curves, but I would question whether these are
"static" behavior.  Such curves happen mostly with bipolar devices and with 
those the output current may have an effect on the internal currents of the 
device causing it to switch or do similar unpredictable things.  Also, in
some
cases the device maybe in the breakdown mode at higher voltages/currents.

All I am trying to say is that these may not necessarily be DC I-V curves 
of
a
static circuit, or circuit element even though one may think so.  In order
to
decide, one would need to know more about the part in question and its I-V
curve.

Arpad Muranyi
Intel Corporation
========================================================================  
====
==

I believe transient time covers AC characteristic of the protection device.
 The phenomenon I have seen is a DC characteristic, those that one would
typically see on a curve tracer.

Tom Dagostino

-----Original Message-----
From:     Jon Powell [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:     Monday, August 10, 1998 4:40 PM
To:     tomda
Cc:     'Geoffrey Ellis'; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject:     Re: non-monotonicity

Tom Dagostino wrote:

After measuring 1000's of I/O pins I can say with much certainty that
not
all clamp "diodes" behave monotonically in the "forward bias region".
 Typical of this behavior are ground protection devices that show abrupt

increases in current when swept from a negative voltage to ground.

Jon replies:
Actually, I think we cover this (at least attemp to) using Transit Time.

(we did put that in, didn't we?).

jon powell
Viewlogic