Subject: IBIS Summit Meeting Minutes 18 Dec 1998

From: Matthew Flora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 15:37:41 -0100

DATE: 12/23/98

SUBJECT: 12/18/98 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
  
VOTING MEMBERS AND 1998 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
AMP                            (Martin Freedman) 
Applied Simulation Technology  Norio Matsui, Raj Raghuram
Cadence Design (& UniCAD)      C. Kumar, Don Telian, Patrick Riffault, 
                               Craig Lewis, Greg Fitzgerald, Paul Galloway,
                               Patrick Dos Santos, Catherine Weiss, 
                               Alain Tribaudot, Geoffrey Ellis,
                               Todd Westerhoff*, Ken Willis, Mike LaBonte*
Cisco Systems                  Syed Huq*, Sergio Camerlo, Irfan Elahi
Compaq                         Shariq Rahma, Jeff Chu, Bob Haller*, 
  (Digital Equipment Corp.)    Doug Burns, Steve Coe
Cypress                        Bruce Wenniger
H.A.S. Electronics             Haruny Said
Hewlett Packard (EEsof, etc.)  Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu, Paul Gregory,
                               Brenda Arena, Hans Wiggers
High Design Technology         Razvan Ene
HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli, Matthew Flora*, Gene Garat,
                               Dave Kohlmeier
Incases                        Olaf Rethmeier*, Scott Jacobson,
                               Werner Rissiek
Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Frank Kern,
  (& formerly NCR)             Will Hobbs, Prakash Radhakrishnan,
                               Mohammed Hawana, Martin Chang, Dave Moxley,
                               Tim Schreyer, Lyndell Asbenson
LSI Logic (Symbios Logic)      Larry Barnes
Mentor Graphics (Zeelan,       Bob Ross*, George Opsahl, Mark Noneman,
  Interconnectix, etc.)        Tom Dagostino, Karine Loudet, Jean Oudinot,
                               Manuel De Almeida, Stephane Rousseau, 
                               Neven Orhanovic, Mohamed Mahmoud, Kevin Cohan
Mitsubishi                     Tam Cao
Motorola                       (Ron Werner)
National Semiconductor         Cheng-Yang Kao, John Goldie, Ikchang Song,
                               Milt Schwartz
North East Systems Associates  Edward Sayre, Kathy Breda, Michael Baxter,
  (NESA)                       Jon Green, Jinhua Chen
NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher, Harvey Stiegler,
                               Vincent Chang, Jean-Claude Perrin*,
                               Peter Forstner
Thomson-CSF                    Jean-Marc Claveau, Laurent Duzaic,
                               Saverio Lerose, Benoit Meyniel,
                               Jean Lefebvre  
Viewlogic                      Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek*, Guy de Burgh, 
                               Gary Mandel
VeriBest                       Ian Dodd, David Weins, Ian Gabbitas
VLSI Technology                D.C. Sessions, Derwin Mattos
Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie) 

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1998:
3Com                           Steve Miller
3Dfx Interactive               Ken Wu
A.T.Sinker                     Tony Sinker
Actel                          Eric Tardif, Emmonvelle Gaudin 
Aerospatiale                   Lionel Dreux, Claude Huet
Alcatel (Bell, Espace, etc.)   John Fitzpatrick, W. Temmerman, 
                               Laure Bessettes, Jean-Claude Pourtau,
                               Daniel Peron
ALS Design                     Yves Mouquet
Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
Apple                          Fred Floresca, Danny Itani
Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
Atmel                          Ali Baktashian
Avanti                         Nik Bannov
CERN                           Olivier Clere, Jean-Michel Sainson, 
                               Rudi Zurbroken
Corning                        John Nieznanski
Crucial Technology             Rathna Reddy
DIVA Corp                      Tieng Nguyen
Dynamic Research Corporation   Mike Walsh
EIA                            Patti Rusher
EMC                            Fawn Engelmann, Fabrizio Zanella
ENST, Paris                    Jean-Jacques Charlot
European CAD Standardization   Adam Morawiec
  Intitiative (ECSI)
Fairchild Semiconductor        Peter LaFlamme
Focus Technology               John Salzillo, Gary Brophy, Mike Arieta,
                               Jim Skane
Hyundai                        Farhad Tabrizi
IBM                            Richard Steinle, Kevin Jackson, Greg Edlund,
                               Douglas Stout
InRange                        Elliot Lipin
Intracon Design Ltd.           Derek Laidlaw
LG Semicon America             Michael Spooer, Seung-Tae Lee
Micron Technology              Terry Lee
Molex                          Gus Panella
Philips Semiconductor          Todd Andersen
Rockwell Semiconductor         Tim Gilbert
Scottish Electronics           Robert Easson
  Manufacturing Center (SEMC)
Seagate                        Vanessa Howard
Signal Integrity Software      Barry Katz
SGS-Thomson                    Philippe Lefevre
Siemens                        Gerald Bannert, Bernhard Unger, 
                               Christian Marot, Miguel Hernandez,
                               Gil Russell, Hartmud Terletzki
SSEI                           Tom Hawkins
Stratus                        Bruce Heilbrunn, Steve Mango, Lewis Steiner, 
                               Karla Eignor, Rich Newell
Summit Computer Systems        Bob Davis
Sun Microsystems               Lam Dong, Kevin Ko, Tay Ansari, Ken Weiss,
                               Derek Tsai
Symmetry                       Andy Hughes
Tektronix                      Nassrin Ghahyasi, Tom Brinkoetter,
                               Brad Weber, John Rettig
Teradyne                       Michael Khusid
Time Domain Analysis Systems   Dima Smolyansky*
Transmeta                      Bill Gervasi
TranSwitch                     Bill Todd
TRILOGIC                       Joe Socha
Ultratest International        Chris O'Connor
Xilinx                         Susan Wu, Rob Eccles

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
follows:
  
  Date               Bridge Number     Reservation #    Passcode
  January 15, 1999  (916) 356-9200     4-213768         9879517
  Monday, February 1, 1998 IBIS Summit Meeting - No Teleconference

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
7 days before each Open Forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
No new participants.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
No change reported.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
No corrections.  The ARs will be discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
None.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Syed Huq reported several logo updates on the IBIS home page Poster link. 
Syed also reported that he added the Accuracy Info link to the EIA IBIS Home
Page.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
Bob Ross reported that the American Microsystems, Inc IBIS models can now
be found at:

  http://www amis.com/tgp/index2.html

The Cypress Link has been changed to:

  http://www.cypress.com/design/support/models/index.html

Micron Technology is updating their site:

  http://www.micron.com:80/mti/msp/models/index.html

Also, Micron Technology IBIS models can requested at:

  http://www.micron.com/mti/msp/html/sim.html

Texas Instruments has changed the link for Clock Distribution models to:

  http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/msp/cdc/ibis.htm

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
None.

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-1 (IBIS Version 2.1) - No report.

- pr EIAJ ED-5302 Standard for I/O Interface Model for Integrated Circuits
  (IMIC) - Bob Ross reported that IMIC topics were discussed at the IBIS
  Summit Meeting on December 7, 1998.

- IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation - Bob Ross reports that although the
  task group is operating at zero level, Jean-Claude Perrin reports that he
  will present the document to IEC Central Office as an official document
  during the TC77 (all EMC domains) meeting in Geneva.  Jean-Claude reported
  a meeting was held and the plan is to write a short file in an IBIS format
  for a future buffer.  This work is funded by Texas instruments and sponsored 
  by a French university.  The work is expected to be completed by the end of
  1999, but an initial, work in progress document is expected to be made
  available for review in two to three months.  Bob indicated that he would 
  put the work in the work in progress area.

- JC-16.2 Subcommittee: Modeling and Test - Bob Ross noted that the co-located
  JEDEC JC-16.2 and IBIS Meeting will be discussed below.

- IEEE P1537 Electronic Data Format Project (Previously listed as the Standard
  Component Data Sheet) - Stephen Peters had no further report.

IBIS (EAST) USERS GROUP MEETINGS
Bob Haller stated that no formal IBIS Users Group meetings have occurred.
However, the Connector Committee is meeting regularly and continuing its work.
Also the Accuracy Committee is continuing its work on the draft Accuracy
Specification document via regular teleconference meetings held on every other
Friday on dates that do not conflict with the IBIS Open Forum meeting dates.
The plan is to open up these meetings to everyone after DesignCon99.  Bob
noted that the Accuracy Committee is interested in what is needed for formal
EIA approval.  Bob Ross will talk to Bob Haller off line on some of the steps.
The immediate Committee goals are to finalize the trailer document format 
before DesignCon99 and to focus on DesignCon99 preparation.

JEDEC/IBIS DECEMBER 7, 1998 SUMMIT MEETING (REVIEW)
Bob Ross commented that it was beneficial to meet several active JEDEC members
from semiconductor vendors who are interested in IBIS activities.  Along with
several planned presentations, we had several good ad hoc presentations and
discussions.

Bob and Chris Rokusek did an ad hoc presentation at the JEDEC committee which
appears to have been well received.

Added note - the IBIS Summit documents, including several presentations, are 
uploaded at

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/summits/dec98

DESIGNCON99 FEBRUARY 1, 1999 SUMMIT MEETING
Bob Ross summarized the activity to date that the IBIS Open Forum is an
Associate Sponsor of DesignCon99.  As a result, DesignCon99 is providing
a meeting room, refreshments, and a booth at the exhibition.  National
Semiconductor will be a co-sponsor and provide the buffet lunch.  Milt 
Schwartz will be handling the local logistics including signup, collecting and 
copying the presentations that are submitted beforehand.  The first call for
participation has been sent out.

Bob Haller noted that the Accuracy Committee will provide a small demo at the
booth.  Hewlett-Packard has agreed to supply equipment for capturing 
waveforms and for taking TDR measurements.

Bob noted that Jon Powell is the focal point for logistics.  Based on 
reflector email, Jon will accept company logos directly on velcro backed
8-1/2 by 11 inch placards.

DATE99 MARCH 9, 1999 SUMMIT MEETING
Bob Ross stated that the meeting time had been moved from Friday, March 12,
1999 to Tuesday, March 9, 1999 to avoid conflict with the trade show.  At
the DATE98 show in Paris, the IBIS meeting was scheduled on Friday to avoid
such conflict.  At this years show in Munich, the DATE99 trade show is from
Wednesday through Friday.

Bob noted and Olaf Rethmeier confirmed that INCASES will be a co-sponsor.  Bob
will work offline with others concerning additional co-sponsorship.  Bob also
expects to get initial information out in early January, 1999.

VERSION 3.2 PARSER DEVELOPMENT
Bob Ross indicated that he communicated the BIRD55 change regarding adding
a Vmeas subparameter to the [Model Spec] keyword to Atul Agarwal, and Atul 
will make the ibischk3 change.  

Matthew Flora had commented that some minor corrections were needed so that
that ibischk3 would compile with GNU and Microsoft compilers without warnings.
For example, some comparisons between unsigned integers and signed integers
ought to be fixed.  Matthew stated that these minor changes were not yet sent
to Atul.  Matthew wanted Atul to continue with higher priority functional
changes and the minor corrections to eliminate warnings could be made later.
Bob indicated that those changes could be included in the next revision of the
accepted parser.

Matthew indicated that he received good response to a note he sent to the
parser distribution list inviting those who were not on the
[email-masked] "reflector" to join.  People on that list will be
receiving the latest bug reports, details, and questions on ibischk3
development.

Bob stated that he uploaded ver3_2e.ibs in the work in progress directory
with BIRD55 included.  He expected to upload ver3_2f.ibs based on how BIRD56
and BIRD57 are resolved later in this meeting.

TEKTRONIX IPA 510 SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION PROPOSAL
Bob Ross moved this discussion to the end of the meeting to allow time for
dealing with the scheduled technical issues.

COOKBOOK STATUS
(Not Discussed)

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE DISCUSSION
Matthew Flora reported that he distributed a Texas Instruments Version 2.1
level LVDS IBIS model with for review.  The old AR remains.

AR - Matthew Flora to issue to the IBIS reflector a short write-up on the IBIS
Model Review Committee.

BIRD56 - RELAXATION OF THE [Series Pin Mapping] RESTRICTION
Bob Ross introduced BIRD56 for discussion and vote.  Matthew Flora wanted an
example showing the expanded functionality.  Arpad Muranyi promised an example
from a model which provided the original motivation for BIRD56.  Bob also
indicated the he might provide an example using a Series element as a 
differential termination.

AR - Arpad Muranyi provide an IBIS model example for BIRD56.

There was some discussion indicating that removing the original limitation
was motivated by practical considerations with real devices.  The original
limitation was not based on any technical need, but on consistency with the
terminator models.  Matthew suggested changing "reserved words" to "reserved
models" since the reserved word "NA" was not intended to be included in the 
list.  Matthew showed in Section 3 (General Syntax Rules and Guidelines), that
item 2) documents this distinction.  Bob accepted this change (thereby
incrementing BIRD56 to BIRD56.1).  A vote was taken.

BIRD56.1 was approved unanimously with one abstention.

AR - Bob Ross produce BIRD56.1 with the agreed upon editorial corrections.

BIRD57 - TIMED BUS HOLD EXTENSION
Arpad Muranyi introduced the recently submitted BIRD57 by indicating that a
current implementation of the bus hold submodel has the model turn off using
an internal timer or external trigger signal.  The "Off_delay" parameter 
provides the additional functionality to deal with this capability.

Bob Ross added that the bus hold functionality has been expanded in practice
to include a high-Z mode.  Since transitions from an on state to/from a high-Z 
state is not included in any current IBIS model time transitions for totem
pole topologies, an alternative way is suggested in practice.  The Open_drain
(Open_sink) and Open_source configurations can each be viewed as transitioning
from an on state to a high-Z state.  An Open_source and Open_sink submodels
can be used together to describe transitions from high-Z, both from a low and
high state.  Arpad clarified that when the Off_delay is defined, it is for a
submodel with either just a [Pullup] table (for Open_source mode) or a
[Pulldown] table (for Open_sink mode).

Arpad stated that both V_trigger_r and V_trigger_f are required,  So the
switching can occur either due to the signal at the input pad switching or
due to reaching the Off_delay time, which ever comes first.  If the trigger
voltage is out of range, then it will not be used.  Or if the Off_delay
is set to a very long value, the timed mode will be disabled.

Mike Lebonte asked for clarification regarding when the Off_delay begins.  
Arpad clarified that it begins when the signal at the input pad crosses the
trigger threshold.

Matthew Flora had two editorial changes to remove a redundant "tab" statement
and to add a missing "the" word.  Bob had an editorial change from using the
the verb "model" to the verb "simulate".  These changes were accepted and 
caused BIRD57 to be incremented to BIRD57.1.

Mike suggested that Off_delay be made more specific and refer to it being
referenced from a trigger voltage rather than an external clock.  After 
further discussion we decided on no change.  Rather, if the functionality were
to be enhanced in the future to include a different delay mode, the new
subparameter would have a more detailed name.

Mike also asked for guidance on how the min and max column entries are
defined.  Bob found that this was discussed in BIRD57.  The general guidance
is to enter the values based on absolute min and max delays.  The columns of
the Off_delay subparameter do not correlate with process corners or voltages
directly.  There is a similar lack of correlation with C_comp.  So Off_delay
and C_comp are unique subparameters under [Submodel] and [Model] because they
are entered based on magnitude rather than by association with [Voltage Range]
or voltage reference values like all of the other subparameters.

After this discussion, Bob called for a vote on BIRD57.1.

BIRD57.1 was approved unanimously with one abstention.

AR - Bob Ross produce BIRD57.1 with the agreed editorial corrections.

VERSION 3.2 RATIFICATION PREPARATION
Bob Ross indicated that all of the open BIRDs have been resolved.  We should 
plan for a ratification vote at the next meeting (scheduled on January 15, 
1999).  A number of activities will take place.  BIRD56.1 and BIRD57.1 will be 
uploaded.  The unofficial work in progress document will be incremented to 
ver3_2f.ibs to include the approved BIRD56.1 and BIRD57.1.  The date used in 
the examples will be changed from December 18, 1998 to January 15, 1999 since 
Bob embeds the ratification date of each release into the IBIS document.  A
cleaned up voting copy designated ver3_2.ibs along with ver3_2f.ibs will be 
uploaded for review at

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/wip

Bob noted that he had started work on ver3_2.ibs before BIRD57 was issued.
Editorial corrections will be welcome.  These corrections will be included in 
the accepted version of the document.

AR - Bob Ross to upload ver3_2f.ibs and ver3_2.ibs to the work in progress 
directory by December 24, 1998.

AR - Everyone to review these documents and provide corrections to Bob Ross or
the IBIS reflector.

In addition, Bob noted that some parser changes will be communicated to Atul
Agarwal as a result of BIRD56.1 and BIRD57.1 adoption.  Bob hopes that the
updated parser will be available for voting at the next meeting.  Also Chris
Rokusek indicated that he will be able to make executables of this version.

BUG31 - ERROR FOR [Pulldown] DECREASING CURRENT SHOULD BE WARNING
Bob Ross mentioned that the main intent of BUG31 is to convert some V/I table
Error messages into Warning messages.  The error message was originally
introduced because the polarity rules regarding when currents and voltages
were positive and negative was confusing and a common source of error.  This
was especially true when dealing with both CMOS/TTL and ECL technologies.  A
newer architecture that was not anticipated allows, for example, the ground
clamp to be active only in the Input mode of an I/O buffer.  The ground clamp 
may be switched out for the output mode.  One way to deal with this in Version 
2.1 level IBIS models is to add a compensating current in the Pulldown and 
Pullup tables in the ground clamping regions to compensate for the ground
clamp table that would still be in the model.  This compensation would usually
cause the parser to produce an error - even though the summed I/V tables are
monotonic and in compliance with the overall polarity guidelines.

Bob indicated that the dynamic clamp submodel in static mode would be the
correct way to deal with this structure using IBIS Version 3.1.

The committee voted to fix the parser based on BUG31 and change the Error
message to a Warning.

AR - Bob Ross to communicate ibischk3 parser changes to Atul Agarwal.

TEKTRONIX IPA510 SOFTWARE PROPOSAL DISCUSSION
Syed Huq indicated that he will put some new information on the IBIS reflector
to update us on some additional options.

NEXT MEETING:
The next meeting will be on Friday, January 15, 1999 from 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
IBIS Version 3.2 Ratification Vote is planned.  Ibischk3 parser acceptance
vote is also planned.
==============================================================================
                                      NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 685-0732, Fax (503) 685-4897
            [email-masked]
            Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix BU of Mentor Graphics
            8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070

VICE CHAIR: Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
            [email-masked]
            Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S JF1-56
            2111 NE 25th Ave. 
            Hillsboro, Oregon 97124-5961

SECRETARY:  Matthew Flora (425) 869-2320, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            [email-masked]
            Senior Engineer, HyperLynx, Inc.
            17641 NE 67th Court
            Redmond, WA 98052

LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
            [email-masked]
            Senior Scientist, Viewlogic Systems(formerly Quad Design)
            1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
 
This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  [email-masked]
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
      or both.  State your request.

  [email-masked]
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt, 
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, & /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt
      respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
Electronic Information Group under:

  http://www.eia.org

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous 
discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
==============================================================================