Subject: IBIS Open Forum Minutes 3/13

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:09:22 -0800

DATE: 3/17/98

 SUBJECT: 3/13/98 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
     
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1998 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            (Martin Freedman) 
 Applied Simulation Technology  Norio Matsui, Raj Raghuram
 Cadence Design (& UniCAD)      C. Kumar, Don Telian, Patrick Riffault, 
				Craig Lewis, Greg Fitzgerald, Paul Galloway,
				Patrick Dos Santos, Catherine Weiss, 
				Alain Tribaudot, Geoffrey Ellis* 
 Cypress                        (Bruce Wenniger)
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu*, Greg Edlund*, Bob Haller
 Hewlett Packard (EEsof, etc.)  Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu, Paul Gregory
 High Design Technology         Razvan Ene
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli, Matthew Flora*
 Incases                        Olaf Rethmeier*, Scott Jacobson,
				Werner Rissiek
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Frank Kern*,
				Will Hobbs, Prakash Radhakrishnan
   Columbia, SC (formerly NCR)  Dave Moxley*
 Mentor Graphics (Zeelan,       Bob Ross*, George Opsahl, Mark Noneman,
   Interconnectix, etc.)        Tom Dagostino, Karine Loudet, Jean Oudinot,
				Manuel De Almeida, Stephane Rousseau, 
				Nevin Orhanovic*
 Mitsubishi                     Hoang Nguyen*, Tam Cao
 Motorola                       (Ron Werner)
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Cheng-Yang Kao, John Goldie,
				Ikchang Song
 North East Systems Associates  Edward Sayre, Kathy Breda
   (NESA)
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
 Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
 Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher, Harvey Stiegler,
				Vincent Chang, Jean-Claude Perrin*,
				Peter Forstner
 Thomson-CSF                    Jean-Marc Claveau, Laurent Duzaic,
				Saverio Lerose, Benoit Meyniel,
				Jean Lefebvre  
 Viewlogic                      Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek, Guy de Burgh, 
				Gary Mandel
 VeriBest                       Ian Dodd, David Weins, Ian Gabbitas
 VLSI Technology                D.C. Sessions*
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie) 

 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1998:
 Actel                          Eric Tardif, Emmonvelle Gaudin 
 Aerospatiale                   Lionel Dreux, Claude Huet
 Alcatel (Bell, Espace, etc.)   John Fitzpatrick, W. Temmerman, 
				Laure Bessettes, Jean-Claude Pourtau,
				Daniel Peron
 ALS Design                     Yves Mouquet
 Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
 Apple                          Fred Floresca, Danny Itani
 Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
 Avanti                         Nik Bannov*
 CERN                           Olivier Clere, Jean-Michel Sainson, 
				Rudi Zurbroken
 Compaq                         Shariq Rahma
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 EMC                            Fawn Engelmann
 ENST, Paris                    Jean-Jacques Charlot
 European CAD Standardization   Adam Morawiec
   Intitiative (ECSI)
 Fairchild Semiconductor        Peter LaFlamme
 H.A.S Electronics              Haruny Said
 Intracon Design Ltd.           Derek Laidlaw
 Philips Semiconductor          Todd Andersen
 Scottish Electronics           Robert Easson
   Manufacturing Center (SEMC)
 Seagate                        Vanessa Howard
 SGS-Thomson                    Philippe Lefevre
 Siemens                        Gerald Bannert, Bernhard Unger, 
				Christian Marot, Miguel Hernandez,
				Gil Russell*
 Symmetry                       Andy Hughes
 Tektronix                      Nassrin Ghahyasi
 Ultratest International        Chris O'Connor
 Xilinx                         Susan Wu

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
   
   Date               Bridge Number     Reservation #    Passcode
   April 3, 1998      (916) 356-9200    5-28516          6935733

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each Open Forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
 Geoffrey Ellis from Cadence stated that he is involved with IBIS Version 2.1
 and IBIS Version 3.0 utilities development
 
 Nik Bannov of Avanti is working on resurrecting the Meta I/O product and on 
 Version 2.1 and Version 3.0 translations.

 D.C. Sessions invited and introduced Gil Russell of Siemens who is Chair of 
 the JEDEC 16B committee.  Gil's interest is in developing simulation models 
 for the components and methods considered by the subcommittee.  Patti Rusher
 affirmed that JEDEC now has full divisional status under EIA.

 Jean-Claude Perrin of Texas Instruments in France participated in the 
 European IBIS Summit and is Chair of the IEC working group on IBIS 
 Simulation and EMC Modeling.

 MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Patti Rusher had issued invoices.  She reports that North East Systems 
 Associates (NESA) is a new member and has received payment from Mitsubishi.  
 She has gotten other payments, but the accounting system is still not 
 functioning properly for a detailed ledger report.  Bob Ross and Patti will 
 discuss off-line some invoice duplication issues.

 Patti also noted that the invoices for $2084 for ibischk3 parser source
 code have been generated and mailed.

 REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
 The AR's will be discussed at the meeting.  No corrections were noted on
 the previous two sets of meeting Minutes.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Bob Ross indicated that he still plans the Majordomo conversion when he has
 time.

 Later, Bob stated that Syed Huq will ask on the IBIS reflector for Roster 
 Updates for 1998.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Bob Ross reported that the March 2, 1998 issue of EDN, pp. 14-16, has the 
 article "EDA Companies Tackle PCB-Board Design" which discusses several 
 companies with IBIS capability. 

 NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
 Bob noted that Jon Powell had inadvertently deleted the IBIS models page
 that was linked from the EIA IBIS home page.  Jon expects to restore it, and 
 Syed Huq will ask Jon on how it is progressing.

 Matthew Flora reported that he found a new Motorola link for IBIS models.
 It has columns for several technologies, but currently IBIS models exist 
 for the LCX technology.  He submitted the link later as 

   http://mot2.indirect.com/models/bin/logic_ic.html

 He cautioned that while the tables look good, there exists some binary data
 encoding or corruption in the uploaded files.  Matthew has contacted Motorola
 regarding this.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Bob Ross on BUG24 - Errors not issued under first of several [Define Package
   Model] keywords.
 Bob Ross on s2ibis2 for Win95.

 INTERNATIONAL PROGRESS
 - IEC 62014-1 (IBIS Version 2.1) - Patti Rusher still has not heard on the
   status.

 - EIAJ III (I/O Interface Model for ICs) - Bob reported that the EIAJ
   subcommittee plans to have a web site in March 1998 with access to 
   an English translation of the Version 1.0 document. 

 - IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation - Bob reported on the meeting of 
   national experts held in Paris on Friday, February 27, 1998.  Bob is the 
   US representative.  Other national representatives from several countries
   participated along with the French committee within an official French
   standardization body: UTE.  The purpose of the meeting was to review the 
   committee activities and to provide input to the pending IEC 93/67/NP new 
   work item proposal.  This meeting was conducted as a working group meeting
   under IEC TC93/WG5 which was formed after IEC pushed back on the original
   IEC 93/60/NP proposal.  The group's charter is to produce a new work item
   proposal with international concurrence for a project to standardize on 
   models for simulating EMI emissions and also for simulating susceptibility 
   to emissions.  The presentation and draft document show some standardized 
   measurement setups and some results.  The proposal is for creating 
   equivalent models of internal noise sources within components along with
   describing some coupling to pins and supplies.  The proposal also provides
   for coupling from internal EMI noise sources to the device itself.  The
   committee had chosen the IBIS format as the basis for doing these
   additions because of the usage of the IBIS format in the simulators of
   interest.
   
   The group intends to work on the proposal to consider submitting it to 
   IEC consideration as a new work item.  Bob suggested that EDA tool vendors 
   would need to be involved with this activity for the committee to produce
   and acceptable simulation model.  Note, this committee is chaired by
   Jean-Claude Perrin who called in after this report was given.

 IBIS EAST USERS GROUP ACTIVITIES
 Greg Edlund reported on the IBIS User's Group meeting will hold a meeting
 on Thursday, March 19, 1998 at Digital Equipment.  It will cover the pending
 BIRD on an Accuracy and Testing Document, some tools activities, and some
 reports on the European IBIS Summit.
 
 Greg also is holding a meeting of the Accuracy subgroup on Thursday, March
 26, 1998 to work on the Accuracy document.  Greg stated that some of the 
 work by Greg and Bob Haller documented in the DesignCon98 paper will be
 applied.  Bob Ross recommended that this document be generated separate to 
 IBIS Version 3.0.  It already is self-contained, comprehensive subject. 
 There could be some controversial areas such as test loads and methodology, 
 and Bob does not want the activity to bog down the progress toward IBIS 
 Version 3.1.  So, while a BIRD proposal would be in context of issuing an 
 Appendix to IBIS Version 3.1, a BIRD would not be approved until the 
 document is completed.  The document itself must focus on the methodology
 and not make references to any commercial EDA product to remain within
 the scope of what is allowed within the EIA rules of operation.

 EUROPEAN IBIS SUMMIT REPORT
 Bob Ross asked if there was any feedback on the European IBIS Summit.  Syed
 Huq felt it was a very successful meeting and thanked Mentor Graphics, 
 Cadence, and High Design Technology for providing the support.  The meeting
 was well attended and the 13 presentations filled the day.  Syed appreciated
 that all the presentations had been uploaded.  Bob also felt that the Summit 
 was successful and stated that the people in Europe were critical for 
 handling the local logistics.  He stated that the next European IBIS Summit
 will probably be held with DATE99 in March in Munich, Germany.

 DATE98 AND PCB SYMPOSIUM FEEDBACK
 Bob Ross also asked if there was any feedback on the Design Automation
 and Test in Europe show.  In general Bob and others felt that these were
 good conferences.

 EDITING COMMITTEE 
 Bob Ross reported that he will upload the unofficial IBIS ver3_1b.ibs update
 in the  /pub/ibis/wip directory of eda.org.  It corrects a few editorial
 errors including the [End Electrical Description] and [End Board
 Description] nomenclature inconsistency and other issues reported by Atul
 Agarwal.

 The BNF AR remains.

 AR - Bob Ross generate and post a BNF for IBIS Version 3.0 (an IBIS Version
 3.0 ratification AR).

 BIRD44 - INTERPRETATION OF MIN/MAX/WEAK/STRONG DATA
 Bob Ross reported that he contacted Andy Ingraham regarding submitting
 BIRD44.1 to capture the agreements of the February 13, 1998 meeting.  The
 extension will use only slow/weak and fast/strong nomenclature.  Andy will
 also state the other keywords in Version 3.0 that might be affected by this
 change.  Andy indicated that he expected to do this.

 AR - Andy Ingraham to issue BIRD44.1 with the changes and extensions noted
 above.

 IBISCHK2+ (VER 2.115) PROGRESS
 As previously reported, Matthew Flora and Chris Rokusek worked together
 to produce a set of executables including a DOS32 executable for ibischk2+
 Version 2.1.15 which Bob Ross Uploaded on eda.org.
 
 Also Matthew reported that fixes to BUG22 and BUG23 were added to ibischk2+
 and sent to Atul Agarwal for inclusion in the ibischk3 development.  Bob
 asked that Matthew and Chris continue adding bug fixes to the ibischk2+
 code, but that we will not release executables until we have a stable set
 of fixes.

 As more bugs are discovered and fixed as part of the ibischk3 project, Bob
 would like Matthew, Chris, and Atul to work together to get the information
 for ibischk2+ updates incorporated in the ibischk2+ code.  As an example,
 BUG8 is fixed in ibischk3, but has not been moved to ibischk2+ because we
 did not have the resources to fix it when it was reported.

 VERSION 3.1 PARSER DEVELOPMENT
 Around February 20, 1998, the first release of ibischk3 was distributed to
 the 12 companies that supported the development.  Matthew Flora is doing
 the distribution from source code that Atul Agarwal delivers to him.  
 Matthew has been adding a DOS32 ibischk3.exe executable so people can use
 the code.  Atul reported that he has included the fixes to BUG22, BUG23,
 and also BUG8 in the first release.  The first release included
 implementations of all of the IBIS Version 3.0 features except the package
 model and electrical board descriptions.  Bob Ross reported that Atul has
 included eight comprehensive test files for testing and checking the
 ibischk3 functions that have been implemented so far.  Bob reviewed these
 in detail - line by line, and provided some feedback to Atul.  The 
 [email-masked] reflector contains the officers and several people
 involved in the parser development projects, and questions regarding
 ibischk3 details raised by Atul are answered on this reflector.  Atul is
 now working on the package model extensions and on the electrical board
 description.

 Atul has just reported that he has a correction release based on issues
 raised on the code so far.  Bob asked Matthew to communicate with Atul
 and get a new copy for distribution.

 AR - Matthew Flora work with Atul Agarwal to distribute a new release of
 ibischk3.

 As previously reported, the invoices have been sent out to the companies
 funding the ibischk3 parser development.

 COOKBOOK
 Stephen Peters reports that Greg Edlund and Bob Haller from the IBIS East 
 Users Group are now participating in the Cookbook update project.  They 
 will provide contributions to the Test and Validation chapter. 

 Bob Ross suggested dropping all the ARs related to supplying examples to
 the Cookbook since no one has acted on these.  Everyone agreed with this, 
 so the example ARs are removed.

 BUG19 - WARNING FOR "typ" DATA OUTSIDE "min" AND "max"
 Bob Ross had been asked by Atul Agarwal whether he wanted Atul to add this
 enhancement in ibischk3.  Atul has already implemented some value testing
 for the ibischk3 [Model Spec] subparameters.  BUG19 also deals with checking
 to see if typical parameters fall between the min and max parameters.
 
 When originally issued by Paul Gregory, BUG19 was concerned with values in 
 the I/V tables.  However per the discussion at the December 17, 1998 meeting 
 we felt that there were cases where such a test would issue warnings against 
 correct data - particularly for BiCMOS devices.  However, we felt the idea 
 was still valid for subparameters such as C_comp, L_pkg, C_pkg and R_pkg.  
 However, we did not authorize that this BUG be fixed at that time.  Bob
 now suggested that we authorize its implementation for the above 
 subparameters and also for all of the Voltage Rails.  The committee agreed.
 
 AR - Bob Ross communicate to Atul Agarwal to implement the BUG19 enhancement
 for the keywords and subparameters above.

 BUG24 - ERRORS NOT ISSUED UNDER FIRST OF SEVERAL [Define Package Model]
	 KEYWORDS
 Bob Ross added this new agenda item for discussion here because Atul Agarwal 
 issued BUG24 and also provided the solution.  BUG24 applies to ibischk2+,
 but this bug would get in the way of test case development for ibischk3.
 
 Since the provided solution was simple, Bob Ross suggested that we fix it
 and also add the fix to the ibischk2+ source code.  Bob also suggested that
 BUG24 be classified as Severe, Medium since real errors can be missed.

 IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE DISCUSSION
 Bob Ross reported that one company is interested in getting some IBIS models
 reviewed.  Bob had asked the request be forwarded to Matthew Flora.  Matthew
 has not yet seen the request.

 D.C. Sessions indicated that the VLSI IBIS models are available for review.
 Bob has completed the permission request, and D.C. indicated that he is
 ready to upload the several Megabytes of IBIS models to Bob's site for the
 purpose of review.  Others may also receive the models if the provide D.C.
 a letter at the VLSI address on the roster.

 Bob listed the complete Model Review Committee again and the e-mail 
 addresses are given in the minutes.  The contact point is Matthew Flora.  

   Matthew Flora, HyperLynx                   [email-masked]
   Bob Ross, Interconnectix/Mentor Graphics   [email-masked]
   Olaf Rethmeier, Incases                    [email-masked]
   Chris Rokusek, Viewlogic                   [email-masked]
   Paul Galloway, Cadence                     [email-masked]
   Ian Dodd, VeriBest                         [email-masked]
   Jon Powell, Viewlogic                      [email-masked]

 JC-16B
 Gil Russell is serving as Chair of a JEDEC subgroup of JC-16 designated as
 JC-16B.  Gil describes JC-16 role as standardizing on interface modeling
 and testing of new I/O configurations such as Series Stub Terminated Logic 
 (STTL).  However what is missing are simulation models for the devices for 
 validating the new methodologies.  Gil revealed some resulting problems in 
 the SSTL-3 specification extensions that might have been discovered by
 simulation.  So SSTL-2 is still the practical level.  This problem provided  
 a motivation to form the JC-16B subgroup.  Gil presented the Scope statement
 that the committee wants to generate models related to the new technologies
 considered by JC-16 and to be used for verification and design support.

 For background, D.C. Sessions is a member of JC-16B and suggested that IBIS 
 format was an ideal candidate for fulfilling the modeling requirements. 
 Furthermore, he suggested that EDA vendors need to participate in such model 
 development activities.  D.C. (was) volunteered to serve as a liaison between 
 JC-16B and the IBIS committee, and he invited Gil to participate in the IBIS 
 Open Forum meeting.

 Since the Scope statement was quite lengthy, Bob Ross asked Gil to provide
 a text copy to be distributed to the IBIS reflector.  Furthermore, Bob
 invited Gil to continue to participate and monitor the IBIS activities
 since the Open Forum participation public and is open to all interested 
 people.
 
 D.C., Gil and Patti Rusher discussed further a suggestion that the IBIS
 Open Forum meet at the December, 1998 meeting in San Diego, California.
 D.C. proposed the IBIS Summit meeting be held with the JEDEC group to foster
 interaction.  He proposed that this replace the semi-annual IBIS Summit
 meeting associated with DesignCon in January in Santa Clara.  Bob Ross
 indicated that this would have to be considered further since the IBIS
 community has had very successful history working with the DesignCon staff 
 and holding meetings in January.  Bob asked about other quarterly meeting 
 locations to see if they happened to be at other potential IBIS Summit 
 meeting sites, but the other JEDEC quarterly meetings tended to be at 
 international locations.  Bob would also consider an additional joint 
 meeting in San Diego in December.  The possibility of a joint meeting is
 open to further discussion.

 S2IBIS2
 Bob Ross reported that he uploaded a copy of s2ibis2 for Windows95 that was
 contributed by Scott McMorrow of SiQual corporation.  It works with HSPICE.
 Scott extended the columns to 5 decimal points for better accuracy and
 resolution and increased the length of the waveform table to 251 points.  He
 also provides a utility to keep the first 75 points and sample the rest for
 a total of 100 points - the IBIS limit (if it is needed by the EDA tool).
 In this way he can get good resolution on the first part of the response
 where the data is changing and also converge accurately to the final DC
 value.  Bob indicated that the .zip file which includes documentation is
 located on eda.org under /pub/ibis/s2ibis/s2ibis2_nt.  (Late note, with a
 .dll file in the documentation, this executable also works with Windows NT).
 Scott's e-mail is provided for comments and questions. 

 BIRD42.3 - MODELING CURRENT WAVEFORMS
 Bob Ross reported that BIRD42.3 and related topics were discussed at the
 the European IBIS Summit.  However, he was not ready to discuss this at
 this meeting.

 BIRD45.1 - DYNAMIC CLAMPS
 Arpad Muranyi reported that he met with Bob Ross and Chris Reid at Mentor
 Graphics on February 11, 1998 to agree upon a proposal.  Initially the 
 investigation was to see whether the [Driver Selection] mechanism could be
 used as originally suggested by Dave Moxley.  After some discussion the 
 group reached an agreement on a comprehensive extension that includes the
 BIRD45.1 dynamic clamp mechanism and also some active latching feature. 
 
 Bob outlined the revised proposal. A new Model_type will be 
 proposed to cover both the dynamic Clamp mechanism of BIRD45.1, but with
 fewer new keywords, and will also include the latching mechanism.  Bob noted
 that the structure models is exactly the same as the Bus Hold structure that
 is currently being implemented in devices.  Threshold subparameters for
 for voltage triggering would be added to the model for typ, min, and max
 in a four column format similar to those under [Model Spec].
 
 Input and I/O models would call this new [Model] to be added to the existing
 responses.  Bob agreed to issue the revision as BIRD45.2.
 
 AR - Bob Ross issue BIRD45.2 to add the dynamic clamp and latching
 details under a new Model_type for a model which can be called by other
 models.

 BIRD46.1 - RELAXATION OF SOME IBIS FILE NAME RESTRICTIONS
 Matthew Flora still needs to issue BIRD46.1 per the AR of the last meeting
 to extend the filename from 8 characters to 20 characters.  Bob Ross raised
 the issue that BIRD46 explicitly adds the period "." character as an allowed
 character in the file name for detail such as gtl.plus.ibs.  Bob felt that
 while such generality was possible, it was still preferred to keep the
 existing restrictions for format uniformity among model providers.  Stephen
 Peters and others on the committee agreed.  So the AR is modified to just
 extend the filename size to 20 characters without adding the comment
 character.

 Bob also noted that a BIRD must be issued two weeks before we will vote on
 it so that interested parties have time to review it.
 
 AR - Matthew Flora issue BIRD46.1 to include references to the .pkg file
 and .ebd file and to change the limitation from 64 total characters to
 a <filename> limit of 20 characters and delete the references to allowing
 the period "." character.

 BIRD47 - REMOVE PIN NAME AS A SUBPARAMETER OF THE [Pin List] KEYWORD.
 Stephen Peters issued BIRD47 to deal with an inconsistency under the 
 Electrical Board Description section, [Pin List] keyword.  As it is
 currently documented, two subparameters are documented on a separate line
 in a unique format.  The typical pin subparameters such as those for [Pin],
 [Pin Mapping], etc., list subparameters on the same line as the keyword.
 BIRD47 eliminates the pin_name subparameter and moves the signal_name
 subparameter to the keyword line.  Because this was a syntax change from
 IBIS Version 3.0, BIRD47 was necessary.

 The committee generally agreeded with BIRD47.  BIRD47 will be formally voted
 upon at the next meeting to comply with the two week notification
 requirement.  However, based on the sense of the Committee, Bob Ross will
 authorize Atul to use the syntax of BIRD47 in the ibischk3 code.

 KEYWORDS UNDER [NOTES] SECTION CAUSE PARSING ERRORS
 In the time remaining after all of the formal agenda items including new
 issues were discussed, Arpad Muranyi discussed a problem.  If a keyword
 is used as part of the text under the [Notes] keyword, and it is the first
 entry of the line, then ibischk2+ and ibischk3 report an incorrect error.

 Matthew Flora stated that IBIS requires the keywords to start on the first
 column.  If the [Notes] text was formated so that it was indented, but the
 line started with a bracketed keyword, then this would be a bug which could be
 detected and corrected.  Arpad noted that there was no restriction that the
 [Notes] text has to be indented.  Bob Ross noted that this would be a truly
 ambiguous case - you would not know if the notes text was intended to 
 include the keyword name or whether it was intended to be terminated by a
 new keyword that was not positioned properly.
 
 Arpad stated that he would write up the problem so we could consider it
 further based on its specific description.
 
 AR - Arpad Muranyi document the concern and send it to [email-masked]
 [Done].

 DISTINCT SIGNAL NAMES
 Matthew Flora asked whether it would be considered a specification violation
 or an error if the [Pin] signal_name entry was the same for different models.
 This was discussed briefly.  Bob Ross felt that while IBIS documents what
 is intended for signal_name (the pin signal name from the component databook),
 the entry is for information only.  EDA tools that use IBIS models do not
 rely on the entry, and there are cases where good IBIS models can be created
 by just stubbing in any entry to fill the column.  In the electrical board
 description, the signal_name subparameter column does have some meaning for
 documenting the POWER, GND, and NC pins since [Path Description]s are not
 required for these pins.
 
 Matthew felt that this was still an error for the [Pin] keyword.  Bob 
 suggested that Matthew either issue a BIRD to suggest a clarification in the 
 IBIS specification or a BUG to raise formally the issue that a Warning 
 should be issued if different signal_names exist for the same model.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next teleconference meeting is on Friday, April 3, 1998, 8:00 A.M. to 
 9:55 A.M.  BIRD46.1 and BIRD47.1 are scheduled for votes.
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 685-0732, Fax (503) 685-4897
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix BU of Mentor Graphics
	     8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 SECRETARY:  Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
	     M/S JF1-56
	     2111 NE 25th Ave. 
	     Hillsboro, Oregon 97124-5961

 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Scientist, Viewlogic (formerly Quad Design)
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
  
 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

       To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
       which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt, 
       /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, & /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt
       respectively.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================