Subject: IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes 5/19

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 09:03:04 -0700

DATE: 5/19/98

 SUBJECT: 5/15/98 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
     
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1998 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            (Martin Freedman) 
 Applied Simulation Technology  Norio Matsui, Raj Raghuram*
 Cadence Design (& UniCAD)      C. Kumar, Don Telian, Patrick Riffault, 
				Craig Lewis, Greg Fitzgerald, Paul Galloway,
				Patrick Dos Santos, Catherine Weiss, 
				Alain Tribaudot, Geoffrey Ellis 
 Cypress                        (Bruce Wenniger)
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu, Greg Edlund*, Bob Haller
 Hewlett Packard (EEsof, etc.)  Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu, Paul Gregory
 High Design Technology         Razvan Ene
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli, Matthew Flora*
 Incases                        Olaf Rethmeier, Scott Jacobson,
				Werner Rissiek
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Frank Kern,
				Will Hobbs, Prakash Radhakrishnan,
				Mohammed Hawana*
   Columbia, SC (formerly NCR)  Dave Moxley*
 Mentor Graphics (Zeelan,       Bob Ross*, George Opsahl, Mark Noneman,
   Interconnectix, etc.)        Tom Dagostino, Karine Loudet, Jean Oudinot,
				Manuel De Almeida, Stephane Rousseau, 
				Nevin Orhanovic
 Mitsubishi                     Hoang Nguyen, Tam Cao
 Motorola                       (Ron Werner)
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq, Cheng-Yang Kao, John Goldie,
				Ikchang Song
 North East Systems Associates  Edward Sayre, Kathy Breda
   (NESA)
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
 Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
 Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher, Harvey Stiegler,
				Vincent Chang, Jean-Claude Perrin*,
				Peter Forstner
 Thomson-CSF                    Jean-Marc Claveau, Laurent Duzaic,
				Saverio Lerose, Benoit Meyniel,
				Jean Lefebvre  
 Viewlogic                      Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek, Guy de Burgh, 
				Gary Mandel
 VeriBest                       Ian Dodd, David Weins, Ian Gabbitas
 VLSI Technology                D.C. Sessions
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie) 

 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1998:
 Actel                          Eric Tardif, Emmonvelle Gaudin 
 Aerospatiale                   Lionel Dreux, Claude Huet
 Alcatel (Bell, Espace, etc.)   John Fitzpatrick, W. Temmerman, 
				Laure Bessettes, Jean-Claude Pourtau,
				Daniel Peron
 ALS Design                     Yves Mouquet
 Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
 Apple                          Fred Floresca, Danny Itani
 Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
 Avanti                         Nik Bannov
 CERN                           Olivier Clere, Jean-Michel Sainson, 
				Rudi Zurbroken
 Compaq                         Shariq Rahma
 Crucial Technology             Rathna Reddy
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 EMC                            Fawn Engelmann
 ENST, Paris                    Jean-Jacques Charlot
 European CAD Standardization   Adam Morawiec
   Intitiative (ECSI)
 Fairchild Semiconductor        Peter LaFlamme
 H.A.S Electronics              Haruny Said
 Intracon Design Ltd.           Derek Laidlaw
 Philips Semiconductor          Todd Andersen*
 Scottish Electronics           Robert Easson
   Manufacturing Center (SEMC)
 Seagate                        Vanessa Howard
 SGS-Thomson                    Philippe Lefevre
 Siemens                        Gerald Bannert, Bernhard Unger, 
				Christian Marot, Miguel Hernandez,
				Gil Russell
 Symmetry                       Andy Hughes
 Tektronix                      Nassrin Ghahyasi
 Ultratest International        Chris O'Connor
 Xilinx                         Susan Wu

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
   
   Date               Bridge Number     Reservation #    Passcode
   June 5, 1998       (916) 356-9200    4-167410         9468535
   June 18, 1998      IBIS Summit Meeting - No Phone Bridge

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each Open Forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
 Mohammed Hawana heads the XTG modeling group from Intel and is involved in 
 distributing I/O Buffer Models. 

 MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Patti Rusher sent Bob Ross a financial report.  Bob stated that there are
 23 IBIS members.  He is tracking down the payment status for one membership
 and for four parser invoices, and Patti is checking with the EIA accounting 
 department regarding whether payment has been made.

 REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
 Bob noted that some minor editorial corrections were made on the April 24,
 minutes.  The ARs will be discussed during the meeting.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Syed Huq is out until Wednesday, May 27, 1998 to be home for his second
 baby.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Greg Edlund stated that the May 1998 issue of Printed Circuit Design contains
 his article "IBIS Model Accuracy" on pages 40-42.

 Bob Ross mentioned a brief writeup on the Cadence free modeler in the
 April 23, 1998 issue of EDN, pg. 14.

 NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
 Jon Powell updated the official EIA IBIS home page Model links with many
 updates found by Matthew Flora and Bob Ross.  Some of these are noted below:

 Atmel URL is changed to:

   http://www.atmel.com/atmel/products/prod180.htm

 Enhanced Memory Systems (owned by Ramptron International Corporation) has a
 model request form which includes IBIS Models:

   http://www.edram.com/modelfrm.html

 Fairchild Semiconductor no longer has CGS models, and the GTL URL has 
 changed:

   http://www.fairchildsemi.com/models/ibis/gtl/index.html

 Hewlett-Packard has added an IBIS model for the Gigabyte products:

   http://hpcc920.external.hp.com/HP-COMP/gigabit/ibis.html

 IBM has added some Power-PC IBIS models at

   http://www.chips.ibm.com/products/ppc/documents/datasheets/products.html

 IC Works is has IBIS models at:

   http://www.icworks.com/IBIS

 Integrated Device Technology URL has changed to:

   http://www.idt.com/models/Welcome.html

 International Microelectronics, Inc. FTP site is relocated to:

   ftp://ftp13.ba.best.com/pub/imiweb8/ibis

 Mosel Vitelic has DRAM model for 16M and 64M devices at

   http://www.moselvitelic.com/sec2/Dynamic.html

 Motorola has added several links for IBIS models for Fast SRAM products.
 Select Asynchronous Fast SRAMs, Burst RAMs, Integrated Cache Solutions, and
 Tag RAMs under:

   http://www.mot.com/SPS/FastSRAM/productupdate

 The Samsung links have been changing.  For a while they were supplying DRAM
 models, and the SRAM link had a listing of models and a request form at the
 bottom.  However, it now appears that the top level link is needed. You
 select Products and the "Service" paths to get to the IBIS models.  The 
 SRAM IBIS model listing and request form are available.  A DRAM path is not
 activated.  The Graphics RAM IBIS models listed, but the IBIS links are 
 not working.  The top level link is:

   http://www.sec.samsung.com

 Texas Intruments has some PC100 sites for ALVC and CDC models:

   http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/asl/pc100.htm
   http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/msp/cdc/pc100.htm

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Patti Rusher and Bob Ross on the EDA Booth and IBIS Meeting at the Design 
 Automation Conference.

 INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
 - IEC 62014-1 (IBIS Version 2.1) - Patti Rusher indicated that a meeting
   was held where a number of IEC numbers were changed.  However, the IBIS
   number is still the same.  Patti is still waiting for IEC 60214-1 to
   be formally ratified - possibly at the IEC meeting in September, 1998.

 - pr EIAJ ED-5302 Standard for I/O Interface Model for Integrated Circuit 
   (IMIC) - Bob Ross got a message from Fukuda-san regarding the web page
   below: 
  
     http://tsc.eiaj.or.jp

   The "Outline of I/O Interface Project Group" link is new, and Version 1.1
   dated March 31, 1998 is in a .pfd format.  Bob noted that a few pages could
   not be printed because of some font problems.  The comment deadline is
   June 10, 1998

 - IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation - Jean-Claude Perrin reported that
   another meeting will be held in May, 1998.  Jean-Claude sent Bob Ross the 
   Power Point presentation given at the February 27, 1998 Experts meeting
   in Paris, and Bob has uploaded it to eda.org under the /pub/ibis/wip
   directory.

 - JC-16B - Patti Rusher stated that she is reserving more hotel space at an
   adjacent hotel for the co-located JEDEC and IBIS Summit meeting to be held
   in San Diego in December, 1998.  Patti indicated that while the scope of 
   the JEDEC committee includes software, the committee itself is not really
   doing any work in this area.  Bob Ross indicated interest in the flexible
   impedance driver work that D.C. Sessions mentioned in some recent signal
   integrity reflector discussions.

 IBIS EAST USERS GROUP ACTIVITIES
 Greg Edlund reported that the Model and Validation subcommittee will be
 meeting on Thursday, May 21, 1998 at Digital.  He will get a telephone number
 for interested people to call in.  The regular Users group meeting is moved
 to Thursday, May 28, 1998 and will be held at Stratus Computer.
 
 Greg contacted Kathy Breda, and the plan is to consider an IBIS course at
 or near the IBIS Summit location to be held in October, 1998.  The class is
 not planned to be tied in with the PCB Conference East.

 IBIS LOGO CHANGE
 No vote was held.  Rather, the committee decided to use the current logo
 that is on the EIA IBIS Home page.  Some minor changes were suggested at the
 April 24, 1998 meeting regarding the IBIS name size, etc., but no alternative
 designs have been created.  Patti Rusher mentioned that the logo will be
 refined and will be of a higher quality in preparation for the Design
 Automation Conference (DAC) EDA booth graphics displays .  Bob indicated that
 changes could be made after DAC, but the logo already looks very good.

 At the April 24, 1998 meeting, the question was raised, but not addressed,
 on whether the IBIS Users group could use the new IBIS logo.  Bob supported 
 the IBIS Users Group using the IBIS logo, if they wish, since the work the 
 Users Group is doing is in close cooperation with the IBIS Open Forum.

 EDITING COMMITTEE 
 Bob Ross uploaded an UNOFFICIAL IBIS ver3_1c.ibs document with the BIRD47 
 change and other minor changes on eda.org under /pub/ibis/wip.
 
 The BNF AR remains.

 AR - Bob Ross generate and post a BNF for IBIS Version 3.0 (an IBIS Version
 3.0 ratification AR).

 BIRD44 - INTERPRETATION OF MIN/MAX/WEAK/STRONG DATA
 Bob Ross indicated no progress.

 AR - Andy Ingraham to issue BIRD44.1 with the changes and extensions noted
 in the March 13, 1998 IBIS Open Forum meeting minutes.

 IBISCHK2+ (VER 2.1.15) PROGRESS
 Matthew Flora indicated that he received a set of changes from Chris Rokusek
 to make the parser work equally well in UNIX and DOS environments.  Bob
 Ross indicated that there are currently six BUGs fixed in the ibischk3 and
 ebdchk3 preliminary code, and these fixes should be planned for the  
 Version 2.1.16 release.

 BUG28 - ENDPOINT MISSED DUE TO FLOATING POINT PRECISION
 Bob Ross explained that Chris Rokusek discovered and provided a correction 
 to a floating point precision problem when the load line intersection point
 falls exactly on a I/V segment endpoint.  Chris' solution involves setting
 a tolerance limit for floating point compares.

 Bob classified this as Moderate, Medium, Open, and intends that this fix be
 rolled into ibischk2+ Version 2.1.16.

 VERSION 3.1 PARSER DEVELOPMENT
 Bob Ross stated that he did a review of the ibischk3 and ebdchk3 Version 
 3.0.1 and sent the comments to Atul Agarwal.  Overall, the parsers are in
 very good shape and are very useful in their preliminary forms.  Bob 
 mentioned that there were a few error messages that were confusing or 
 missing.  Also he might want to change the warning messages for negative 
 times under [Model Spec] to error messages.  The test files for the 
 Electrical Board Description are functioning.  However, more test files 
 and more investigation would be valuable.  He encourages anyone interested
 in the .ebd syntax to look at that part of the parser.
 
 Chris Rokusek provide Bob the executables for the Version 3.0.1 release,
 and Bob uploaded them to eda.org under /pub/ibis/ibischk3 in a compressed
 form per the AR.  These are preliminary code, but should be useful for
 review and for doing IBIS Version 3.0 extensions.

 COOKBOOK 
 Stephen Peters reports that there no is progress on the Cookbook project.

 IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE DISCUSSION
 Matthew Flora indicated no activity other than one model that he did not
 forward since it did not pass the ibischk2+ test.  Matthew suggested that
 information about the IBIS Model Review committee and process be sent out
 again.  Bob suggested that Matthew prepare a short writeup indicating that
 models for review should be sent to Matthew.  They will be distributed to
 to five other EDA tool vendors for review.  Comments and suggestions will be 
 given back privately to the model developer.  The purpose is to help the
 model developer provide better models and information that the EDA tools
 need to process IBIS models.  Matthew indicated that the reference to the
 Model Review committee in Greg Edlund's article mentioned above may have left
 the false impression that only Hyperlynx will be reviewing the models.

 For general information, the contact person is:

   Matthew Flora, HyperLynx                   [email-masked]

 AR - Matthew Flora issue to the IBIS reflector a short writeup on the IBIS
 IBIS Model Review committee.

 DESIGN AUTOMATION CONFERENCE (DAC) IBIS SUMMIT MEETING AND EDA BOOTH  
 Patti Rusher had asked whether the IBIS committee wanted to have handouts 
 for the EDA booth at DAC.  After some discussion, the only handout will be
 a one page writeup on IBIS giving some general information and some sources
 for more information.  Much information including magazine information and
 IBIS links are already on line.  Bob Ross asked Stephen Peters to prepare
 a one-page handout.

 AR - Stephen Peters prepare a one page IBIS information sheet to be handed
 out at the EDA booth at DAC.

 Bob indicated that the agenda is open for the San Francisco IBIS Summit
 meeting at DAC on June 18, 1998.  Election of officers will be held.  Bob
 expects some technical discussions and presentations to relate to the BIRDs
 that are being considered.  However, other presentations will be welcome.  
 Bob will send out information on the DAC IBIS Summit meeting including a
 request for presentations.

 BIRD42.3 - MODELING CURRENT WAVEFORMS
 Bob Ross stated that there was some signal integrity and IBIS reflector
 discussion on crowbar currents that are related to this issue.  Bob is
 planning that BIRD42.3 be discussed at the next (June 8, 1998) IBIS meeting.

 BIRD48.1 - ADD MODEL
 BIRD49.1 - ADD MODEL DYNAMIC CLAMPS
 BIRD50 - ADD MODEL BUS HOLD
 Bob Ross had sent out BIRD48.1 and BIRD49.1 and introduced the revisions.
 Bob mentioned that he and Arpad Muranyi also had discussed the extensions the
 previous day.

 One revision in BIRD48.1 was add additional references in the [Model]
 keyword for the Dynamic_clamp and Bus_hold subparameters of Model_type.

 Also, the Add_model_mode subparameter was added to the [Model] keyword sub-
 parameter list.  It is to be used when the model is used as an added model.
 The Add_model_mode arguments are Output and Non-Output.  When the top-level
 model is an I/O or 3-state model, the Add_model_mode is used to restrict
 the operation of the added model, if needed, to just Output mode or Input
 or 3-state mode.  For example, the dynamic clamp functionality may exist only
 for the Input mode of an I/O buffer.  Arpad suggested changing the names of
 the arguments to Driving and Non-driving, and Bob agreed.  

 There was discussion concerning whether the Add_model_mode subparameter
 should be in the added model or in the top-level model which calls the added
 model.  One advantage of moving it to the top level is that the modes of
 operation for the added model will clearly tie in with the Model_type of
 the top-level model.

 Stephen Peters questioned whether the [Driver Schedule] keyword is impacted
 by the Add Model structures, and Bob indicated that the Add Model details
 are separate.

 Bob also noted that the V_trig_r and V_trig_f syntax would be corrected to
 V_trigger_r and V_trigger_f, consistent with BIRD49.1 and BIRD50 usage.
 Some other text corrections will be made for notation and clarity per
 discussions at the meeting and with Arpad.

 BIRD49.1 extended the dynamic clamp functionality to include a non-triggered
 method of invoking it.  In practice, dynamic clamps can also be invoked by
 a separate clock.  The method proposed in BIRD49.1 involves using a negative
 time value as the first entry of the [GND Pulse Table] or [POWER Pulse
 Table] keyword.  The corresponding V_trigger_f or V_trigger_r entries would
 be omitted or ignored.  There was some discussion and concern on using 
 negative numbers, and this will be investigated.  Arpad had provided a
 several technical and editorial comments off line.  Stephen Peters will also
 provide some editorial comments off line to be considered.

 BIRD50 remains unchanged regarding the bus hold functionality and was not 
 reissued.  However, the title is incorrect, so BIRD50.1 will be issued to  
 at least change the title.  Bob noted that the functionality can be used
 beyond just modeling bus hold.

 AR - Bob Ross issue BIRD48.2, BIRD49.2 and BIRD50.1 to capture the changes
 in this discussion and in the off line discussions.

 Bob Ross is planning to call for a vote BIRD48.2, BIRD49.2, and BIRD50.1
 at the June 5, 1998 meeting.  Stephen commented that he would like more
 participation by EDA vendors on this discussion.  Bob agreed to discuss 
 this with some of the EDA vendors.

 BIRD46.1 - RELAXATION OF SOME IBIS FILE NAME RESTRICTIONS
 Since BIRD46.1 has not been issued, Bob Ross deferred the discussion. 
 
 AR - Matthew Flora issue BIRD46.1 to include references to the .pkg file
 and .ebd file and to change the limitation from 64 total characters to
 a <filename> limit of 20 characters and delete the references to allowing
 the period "." character.

 BIRD51 - 3-STATE ECL
 Bob Ross introduced BIRD51.  Even though BIRD51 extends over several pages,
 it changes only a few lines to add 3-state-ECL to the list of Model_type
 subparameters under [Model] and under Ramp in Notes on Data Derivation 
 section.

 As indicated before, several ECL devices with a true high-Z mode.  BIRD51
 will be scheduled for a vote at the next meeting.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next teleconference meeting is on Friday, June 5, 1998, 8:00 A.M. to 
 9:55 A.M.  BIRD48.2, BIRD49.2, BIRD50.1, BIRD51, will be scheduled for a
 vote.  BIRD46.1, if issued, is scheduled for a vote.  BIRD42.3 is scheduled
 for technical discussion.

 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 685-0732, Fax (503) 685-4897
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix BU of Mentor Graphics
	     8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 SECRETARY:  Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
	     M/S JF1-56
	     2111 NE 25th Ave. 
	     Hillsboro, Oregon 97124-5961

 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Scientist, Viewlogic (formerly Quad Design)
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
  
 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

       To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
       which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt, 
       /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, & /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt
       respectively.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
 ==============================================================================