Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] : IBIS Version 3.0

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 14:46:23 -0700

Recently, Ravinder Ajmani wrote:
> I have been approached by one of our chip vendors who wants to know if we would
> require IBIS ver. 3.0 models.  I will appreciate if someone can advise me about
> the enhancements and benefits of using IBIS ver. 3.0 over ver. 2.1.
> 
> Regards,
> Ravinder Ajmani

The major IBIS ver. 3.0 enhancements include:

  1. Enhanced package model -- the ability to describe the package leads
     as uncoupled transmission lines and not just lumped L/R/C

  2. The ability to explicitly describe an output that contains multiple output
     transistors with staggered turn-on/turn-off

  3. The inclusion of data that allows for modeling of diode transit time 
effects.

  4. The selection of alternate drivers on a signal

  5. A new Electrical Board Description (.ebd file) that allows one to 
describe a
     SIMM or chip-on-board type module as one component.

In brief, if your modeling SIMM modules, want better package models, or have a
complex output that cannot be satisfactorily modeled using the existing V/T 
curves
then including ver 3.0 data in your IBIS model may be required.  I hope this 
helps.

           Best Regards,
           Stephen Peters
           Intel Corp.