Subject: BIRD42.3 discussion

From: [email-masked] (Bob Ross)
Date: Fri, 29 May 98 10:55:45 PDT

To All:

BIRD42.3 has been open for a year.  We need to decide whether it is
to be included in IBIS Version 3.1.  BIRD42.3 is planned to be discussed
at the next meeting.

Refer to eda.org/pub/ibis/birds for the complete BIRD42.3 text.

For background, BIRD42.3 was issued prior to IBIS Version 3.0 
ratification.  However, it was not ratified because there were
several objections that could not be resolved.  We agreed to
consider it more fully for IBIS Version 3.1.

Some active discussion occured when BIRD42.X was introduced
and at the IBIS Summit Meetings in January, 1998 and February,
1998.

BIRD42.3 introduces optional I/V tables for pullup reference
and pulldown reference currents under the same conditions as
existing V/T tables.  Its fundamental purpose is to get a more
accurate description of the power and ground currents for 
SSO and power integrity problems.

Please call in at the June 5, 1998 meeting for a discussion
on BIRD42.3.  Reflector discussion is also welcome at this
time.

The bottom line questions are
  Is it needed?
  Will it provide improved analysis?
  Or is something else needed?

Best Regards
Bob Ross
Interconnectix/Mentor Graphics