Subject: EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes 4/3

From: Stephen Peters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 12:12:31 -0700

DATE: 4/7/98

 SUBJECT: 4/3/98 EIA IBIS Open Forum Minutes
     
 VOTING MEMBERS AND 1998 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
 AMP                            (Martin Freedman) 
 Applied Simulation Technology  Norio Matsui, Raj Raghuram*
 Cadence Design (& UniCAD)      C. Kumar, Don Telian, Patrick Riffault, 
				Craig Lewis, Greg Fitzgerald, Paul Galloway,
				Patrick Dos Santos, Catherine Weiss, 
				Alain Tribaudot, Geoffrey Ellis 
 Cypress                        (Bruce Wenniger)
 Digital Equipment Corp.        Jeff Chu*, Greg Edlund, Bob Haller
 Hewlett Packard (EEsof, etc.)  Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu, Paul Gregory
 High Design Technology         Razvan Ene
 HyperLynx                      Kellee Crisafulli, Matthew Flora*
 Incases                        Olaf Rethmeier*, Scott Jacobson,
				Werner Rissiek
 Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Frank Kern,
				Will Hobbs, Prakash Radhakrishnan
   Columbia, SC (formerly NCR)  Dave Moxley
 Mentor Graphics (Zeelan,       Bob Ross*, George Opsahl, Mark Noneman,
   Interconnectix, etc.)        Tom Dagostino, Karine Loudet, Jean Oudinot,
				Manuel De Almeida, Stephane Rousseau, 
				Nevin Orhanovic*
 Mitsubishi                     Hoang Nguyen, Tam Cao
 Motorola                       (Ron Werner)
 National Semiconductor         Syed Huq*, Cheng-Yang Kao, John Goldie,
				Ikchang Song
 North East Systems Associates  Edward Sayre, Kathy Breda
   (NESA)
 NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
 Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
 Texas Instruments              Thomas Fisher, Harvey Stiegler,
				Vincent Chang, Jean-Claude Perrin*,
				Peter Forstner
 Thomson-CSF                    Jean-Marc Claveau, Laurent Duzaic,
				Saverio Lerose, Benoit Meyniel,
				Jean Lefebvre  
 Viewlogic                      Jon Powell, Chris Rokusek*, Guy de Burgh, 
				Gary Mandel
 VeriBest                       Ian Dodd, David Weins, Ian Gabbitas
 VLSI Technology                D.C. Sessions*
 Zuken-Redac                    (John Berrie) 

 OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1998:
 Actel                          Eric Tardif, Emmonvelle Gaudin 
 Aerospatiale                   Lionel Dreux, Claude Huet
 Alcatel (Bell, Espace, etc.)   John Fitzpatrick, W. Temmerman, 
				Laure Bessettes, Jean-Claude Pourtau,
				Daniel Peron
 ALS Design                     Yves Mouquet
 Ansoft                         Eric Bogatin
 Apple                          Fred Floresca, Danny Itani
 Apteq Design Systems           Dan FitzPatrick 
 Avanti                         Nik Bannov
 CERN                           Olivier Clere, Jean-Michel Sainson, 
				Rudi Zurbroken
 Compaq                         Shariq Rahma
 EIA                            Patti Rusher*
 EMC                            Fawn Engelmann
 ENST, Paris                    Jean-Jacques Charlot
 European CAD Standardization   Adam Morawiec
   Intitiative (ECSI)
 Fairchild Semiconductor        Peter LaFlamme
 H.A.S Electronics              Haruny Said
 Intracon Design Ltd.           Derek Laidlaw
 Philips Semiconductor          Todd Andersen
 Scottish Electronics           Robert Easson
   Manufacturing Center (SEMC)
 Seagate                        Vanessa Howard
 SGS-Thomson                    Philippe Lefevre
 Siemens                        Gerald Bannert, Bernhard Unger, 
				Christian Marot, Miguel Hernandez,
				Gil Russell
 Symmetry                       Andy Hughes
 Tektronix                      Nassrin Ghahyasi
 Ultratest International        Chris O'Connor
 Xilinx                         Susan Wu

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.  Principal
 members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
 Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

 Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
   
   Date               Bridge Number     Reservation #    Passcode
   April 24, 1998      (916) 356-9200    5-32911          6784438

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
 7 days before each Open Forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
 Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.
 
 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
 No new participants

 MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
 Patti Rusher does not have the report, but she does not know of any new
 members.

 REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
 The AR's will be discussed at the meeting.  No corrections were noted on
 the previous two sets of meeting Minutes.

 MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Bob Ross indicated that he still plans the Majordomo conversion when he has
 time.

 Bob stated that Syed Huq has requested roster updates.  Arpad Muranyi asked
 if they can still be given, and Bob said that they can be provided at any
 time.

 PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
 Bob Ross noted that the article "Free Board Tools Spun for Web" in the
 Electronic Engineering Times, March 30, 1998, pg. 92 discusses the free
 IBIS model development utility from Cadence.

 Bob also reported that two side-bar articles in Electronic Engineering Times,
 "Crosstalk-analysis Tools Roll at PCB Confab" and "Designers Clamor for
 Better IBIS Models" are on pages 73 and 74 in the March 23, 1998 issue both
 mention IBIS.

 Finally, Bob reported that Arpad Muranyi is teaching a session on "Signal
 Integrity in High-Speed CMOS Circuits" and is including IBIS Model discussion
 in a tutorial short course: Circuit Simulation and Signal Integrity in
 Micro electronic Circuits and Systems from the University of Arizona in
 Scottsdale, Arizona, May 4-6, 1998.

 NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
 Bob Ross noted that Cadence has announced its free s2ibis development utility
 and viewer and it is downloadable the location below (click on free
 software):

   http://www.cadence.com/software/pcb_info.html

 It is a very large .zip file.  The utility is configured with a windows 
 interface to run on Solaris OS machines.

 Bob noted that TI clock driver IBIS models now exist at:

   http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/msp/cdc/app_supp.htm

 Bob reported that the Motorola URL mentioned by Matthew Flora at the last
 meeting has entries for several technologies.  Currently IBIS models exist 
 for the LCX technology.  Matthew had submitted the link later as: 

   http://mot2.indirect.com/models/bin/logic_ic.html

 The IBIS models that should be stored in Word Format (.doc) which then can
 be converted to a text format as a .ibs file.  If you try to store the files
 directly as text files, they will appear to be corrupted with binary 
 characters.

 Bob noted that Jon Powell restored the had IBIS models page link from the
 IBIS home page which had inadvertently been deleted by the web page provider.

 OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
 Syed Huq on compressing the ibischk executables
   (Discussed in the ibischk2.115 discussion)
 Bob Ross on the Design Automation Conference Summit meeting.
   (Not directly discussed)

 INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
 - IEC 62014-1 (IBIS Version 2.1) - Patti Rusher still has not heard on the
   status.  It may not be resolved until the next IEC meeting in September.

 - EIAJ III (I/O Interface Model for ICs) - Raj Raghuram reported that he
   has a preliminary copy of the Version 1.1 English translation.  Bob Ross
   reported that Hideki Fukuda still expects to create a web site soon which
   will contain this document and other information for downloading.

 - IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation - Jean-Claude Perrin, Chair of the
   task force gave this report.  Jean-Claude first noted that the official
   minutes of the February 27, 1998 meeting had pages 2 and 3 interchanged.
   A meeting was held on March 30, 1998.  Its purpose was to refine the
   proposal to be submitted to the next IEC meeting in September, 1998.  The
   proposal still contains an internal equivalent model square pulse generator
   representing a clock along with some internal coupling impedances to the
   pins/power supplies of the device.  The plan is to follow the IBIS model
   conventions but be formatted in a separate file such with a .emc extension.
   However, the extensions would be compatible with the corresponding .ibs
   Component in the IBIS file.  Jean-Claude briefly covered additional details
   such as capacitance on supplies, through currents, and variable coupling
   impedances.

   Jean-Claude asked whether the IBIS format supports the short circuit current
   between power rails that may exist when output devices change state.  Bob
   Ross reported that the IBIS format only supports this as a consequence of
   whatever algorithm is employed during transition.  BIRD42.3, still under
   consideration, actually can be used to format such currents.  So EMC 
   extensions could also be a consideration for supporting BIRD42.3 within
   the .ibs or possibly the .emc format.

   Jean-Claude indicated that the task force is preparing a revision for
   submission and will be sending a copy to Bob.  Bob questioned whether
   this copy could be submitted to the IBIS reflector for general review and
   comments, and Jean-Claude affirmed that this was permitted.  (Note: so
   Bob will plan to make the document available for review whenever it is
   received - either by email or by uploading it in an area where interested
   people can download it for review.  Jean-Claude will welcome comments.)

 - JC-16B - Bob Ross started the discussion by indicating that a joint IBIS
   Summit meeting in December, 1998 with the JEDEC JC-16B sub-committee had
   been proposed at the March 13, 1998 IBIS Open Forum.  This meeting would be
   held in place of the DesignCon IBIS Summit meeting planned for January,
   1999.  Bob indicated that he supported holding a joint meeting.  However,
   Bob also felt the DesignCon IBIS Summit Meeting was valuable and should
   not be dropped.  D.C. Sessions commented that he would have liked to see
   more "chalk-board" issue resolution at the IBIS Summit meeting rather than
   just presentations.  Bob responded that this has occurred in the past.  The
   format of the IBIS Summit meetings are not fixed.  Some past IBIS Summit
   meetings have been held with topics devoted to issues and have also 
   involved some small sub-group meetings beforehand to develop and present
   some agreed upon proposals.  

   Bob questioned D.C. on what he had in mind for the joint meeting - its
   purpose and how it would be structured.  For example, do the IBIS folks
   participate in the JC-16B meeting, and the JC-16B folks participate in the
   IBIS Summit as observers?  D.C. mentioned that what he had in mind was to
   co-locate a meeting where it was convenient for some cross-fertilization 
   particularly between the device developer members of the JC-16B committee
   and the EDA tool developer members of the IBIS Open Forum.  Bob and others
   felt that this was a good reason to hold such a meeting.  Bob also stated
   that the meeting did not have to be structured on just presentations.  The
   IBIS Summit Meeting might focus on a few application topics of mutual
   interest.  One such topic might be IBIS models for SSTL (Series Stub
   Terminated Logic) - a topic originating from  JC-16B.  (Other topics could
   included IBIS models for other technologies considered by JC-16B.)

   Bob asked for the dates, and Patti Rusher indicated that she has already
   booked hotel and conference space in San Diego for the December 7-9, 1998
   time frame for JEDEC.  The JC-16B meeting typically covers one-half day
   and a JC-42 meeting on Memories also typically covers one-half day and
   is attended by many JC-16B members.  These occur typically on Tuesday, so
   the plan is to add a room reservation for the an IBIS Summit Meeting the
   following day.  Patti indicated that She will reserve Wednesday, December
   9, 1998.  (Note after the meeting - the dates were not clear, but the
   intent is to hold the IBIS Summit meeting the day after the JC-16B and
   JC-42 meetings.)

   Bob asked who was going to pay for this.  Patti indicated that this could
   come out of the EIA IBIS funds.  Bob also indicated that others might want
   to serve as sponsor or co-sponsor hosts.  In particular, Viewlogic might
   be interested since the meeting is being held nearby.  Chris Rokusek will
   check if Viewlogic is interested.

 IBIS LOGO CHANGE
 Bob Ross introduced the topic by noting that the EIA (Electronic Industries
 Association) has now changed its historical lightning-bold circular logo
 to a new rectangular logo, and EIA now stands for Electronic Industries
 Alliance.  Patti Rusher indicated that this change was due to an expanded
 scope of EIA incorporating more organizations under the EIA umbrella.  As
 indicated from the revised Web page - still under revision, EIA now consists
 of the following organizations: 
   
    Consumer Electronics Manufactures Association (CEMA),
    Electronic Components, Assemblies Equipment & Supplies Association (ECA),
    Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA),
    Electronic Information Group (EIG) - where Patti is a director and under
      which the IBIS Open Forum and other organizations are positioned, 
    Government Electronics & Information Technology Association (GEIA),
    JEDEC Solid State Products Technology Division, and
    Electronic Industries Foundation (EIF).

 Since the old EIA logo is embedded within the IBIS Spoken Here!! logo (or
 placard), the IBIS logo is now retired.  Patti wants to work with a graphics
 artist to develop quickly a new IBIS logo in time for the Design Automation
 Conference.  

 Bob and others indicated that they liked the original logo with the scarlet
 IBIS birds, the IBIS Spoken Here!! and the EIA logo within.  However the
 square logo does not fit as well.  So the committee is open to considering
 changes.  A general discussion occurred.  Bob questioned whether the EIA
 logo included a black outline, and Patti indicated no.  Patti indicated that
 a few other organization are also revising their logos.

 Stephen Peters expressed interest in reviewing logo designs.  So Bob formed
 a committee consisting of the IBIS officers (Stephen Peters as the main
 contact, and Syed Huq, Jon Powell, and Bob) to review logo ideas.)  Patti
 would go ahead and get ideas from the graphics artist.  Bob also stated that
 anyone else interested is welcome to join or submit logo ideas.  Bob noted
 that he will also ask people who are using the old logo to start phasing them
 out.

 IBIS EAST USERS GROUP ACTIVITIES
 Bob reported that Greg Edlund issued the minutes on the ibis-users reflector
 for the Accuracy sub-group meeting held on March 26, 1998.  The next Accuracy
 sub-group meeting is scheduled on Thursday, April 30, 2998.

 Bob also expects the minutes of the March 19, 1998 IBIS (East) Users Group to
 be issued soon. 

 EDITING COMMITTEE 
 Bob Ross indicated that he upload an UNOFFICIAL IBIS ver3_1b.ibs document on
 eda.org under /pub/ibis/wip.  It contained only minor editorial revisions
 and the correction to [End Board Description] nomenclature.

 Later under the BIRD48 discussion, Chris Rokusek thought it would be helpful
 to have a tree diagram to show the context of the IBIS keywords and 
 subparameters.  Bob indicated that one already existed under the wip 
 directory.  This had been originally contributed by Atsushi Ogawa of NEC
 Corporation, who is serving as Vice-Chair of the EIAJ III sub-group.  Bob
 had recently updated the tree diagram to put [Model Selector] at the top 
 level along with [Component] and [Model] within a file in response to a
 comment from Atul Agarwal, who is implementing the ibischk3 parser.  So,
 tree3_0a.txt is now current.

 The BNF AR remains.

 AR - Bob Ross generate and post a BNF for IBIS Version 3.0 (an IBIS Version
 3.0 ratification AR).

 BIRD44 - INTERPRETATION OF MIN/MAX/WEAK/STRONG DATA
 Bob Ross indicated no progress.

 AR - Andy Ingraham to issue BIRD44.1 with the changes and extensions noted
 in the March 13, 1998 IBIS Open Forum meeting minutes.

 IBISCHK2+ (VER 2.115) PROGRESS
 Syed Huq indicated that he had problems downloading the ibischk2+ executables
 using Netscape since Netscape would try to execute rather than save the
 executables.  (This is not a problem using the anonymous FTP access.)  Syed
 proposed that the executables be compressed.  D.C. Sessions provided two
 Netscape workarounds: (1) click Shift, and left key on mouse before doing
 the save, and (2) change the Options - General Preference - Helpers to take 
 out any .exe helper application.

 Bob Ross and others indicated that regardless of these solutions, it probably
 was more efficient to put just compressed files that were intended for 
 downloading - .Z or .gz for Unix, and .zip for DOS Windows applications.
 This would not be difficult for the existing ibischk2+ executables.  So Bob
 will plan to do this.

 As separate item, Bob asked Matthew Flora and Chris Rokusek to continue
 maintaining the ibischk2+ source code.  In particular, keep putting in
 the changes associated with the approved BUGs that are being discovered
 and resolved in the ibischk3 project that relate to ibischk2_.  Matthew and
 Chris agreed to continue doing this in preparation for a future ibischk2+
 Version 2.1.16 release.

 BUG26 - Parser Crashes when Calling [Package Model]
 Bob Ross reported that Atul Agarwal had issued BUG26 against ibischk2+ while
 developing ibischk3, and Atul also provide the simple fix.

 Bob classified this as Severe, High, Open, and intends that this fix be
 rolled into ibischk2.1.16.

 BUG25 - Keyword as First Word in [Notes] Causes Error
 Bob Ross introduced BUG25 which was submitted by Arpad Muranyi.  A discussion
 followed as to whether this was really an error that could be fixed by
 documenting a limitation, or whether the ibischk2+ (and ibischk3) parser
 needed to be changed.  Arpad Muranyi suggested a work around of putting
 quotes around keywords that appear as the first word in a line under the 
 [Notes] keyword.  Bob indicated that the problem applies to any keyword 
 such as [Copyright] which accepts multiple lines of text information.  D.C.
 Sessions favored documenting this as a BUG and considering a fix.  While
 BUG25 could be fixed, Bob noted that the error detection itself was a source
 of ambiguity since a keyword not properly aligned to column 1 after the
 [Notes] text would then be "correctly" included within the notes text.  Only
 after subsequent keyword checking would an error of a missing required
 keyword be detected.  

 Bob classified BUG25 as ANNOYING, LOW, OPEN, and will investigate with Atul
 Agarwal on a low priority basis a possible fix.  However, the alternative
 is still open - provide a documented limitation on using bracketed keywords
 as the first word in text block lines.

 VERSION 3.1 PARSER DEVELOPMENT
 Atul Agarwal delivered Beta Versions 3.0.1 of the ibischk3 and ebdchk3
 parsers and Matthew Flora distributed on March 30, 1998 the source code to
 the twelve companies supporting the development.  Some additional test cases
 and test case results along with Windows DOS executables are included.  
 Stephen Peters will investigate if any .ebd test cases exist.

 Everyone is welcome to try the parsers and to report back on any problems.
 Bob Ross also needs to check on the status of the invoices that have been
 issued.

 COOKBOOK
 Stephen Peters reports that there is progress on the Cookbook project.  As 
 previously reported, individuals from the IBIS East Users group are writing
 the testing and validation section.

 IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE DISCUSSION
 Bob Ross asked Matthew Flora whether anyone has approached him regarding
 reviewing IBIS models.  Matthew indicated no.  The model review committee
 has been published in previous minutes.  Bob will now just list Matthews
 address as the contact for IBIS models review:

   Matthew Flora, HyperLynx                   [email-masked]

 D.C. Sessions is still waiting for Bob to provide an FTP site to upload 
 VLSI IBIS models for review.  Per VLSI policy, individuals who are want to
 review VLSI IBIS models must contact D.C. directly with a letterhead letter
 stating the request.

 S2IBIS2
 Matthew Flora reported that he had a question concerning the recently 
 released s2ibis2 for NT.  Matthew was given the source code to test
 the NT implementation.  Bob Ross suggested Matthew work directly with
 SiQual concerning how it can be released.  One issue is that the examples
 exist in a different file and are not included.

 S2IBIS2 BUG1
 Bob Ross reported that BUG1 was issued by Bernhard Unger dealing with the 
 problem that the HSPICE examples do not work.  Bob indicated that this was
 a known problem and was actually the subject of IBIS reflector discussions
 a while ago.  Suggestions regarding HSPICE convergence and adding some
 parasitic resistance to the clamping structures were provided.

 Bob classified BUG1 as ANNOYING, LOW, OPEN.  The s2iibs2 Version 1.1 seems
 to work with real IBIS models.  However, anyone who is interested in
 providing replacement HSPICE examples is welcome to contribute them.  The
 committee itself is too involved in other activities to develop new examples
 at this time.

 BIRD47 - REMOVE PIN NAME AS A SUBPARAMETER OF THE [Pin List] KEYWORD.
 Bob Ross introduced BIRD47 by stating that it removed the technical
 inconsistency associated with the pin_name subparameter defined under the
 [Pin List] keyword in the Electrical Board Description section.  BIRD47
 removes the pin_name subparameter and also moves the signal_name subparameter
 to the keyword line in a manner consistent with other pin-related keywords.
 The sense of the committee at the March 13, 1998 meeting was to approve
 BIRD47.  The ebdchk3 parser should already use the BIRD47 syntax.  Bob called
 for a vote.

 BIRD47 was approved unanimously with one abstention based on lack of 
 knowledge.

 BIRD42.3 - MODELING CURRENT WAVEFORMS
 Bob Ross indicated that we need to move on BIRD42.3.  The original BIRD42
 was introduced prior to the IBIS Version 3.0 ratification meeting in June,
 1997.  There were issues associated with BIRD42 and IBIS Version 3.0 was
 issued with the understanding that BIRD42 could be considered further and
 included in IBIS Version 3.1.  While there has been little activity on 
 BIRD42.3, it was discussed during both the DesignCon IBIS Summit on
 January 26, 1998 and the European IBIS Summit on February 26, 1998.  Also,
 as previously mentioned, BIRD42.3 may relate to some EMC concerns.  BIRD42.3
 will be scheduled for a discussion at a later meeting.

 BIRD46.1 - RELAXATION OF SOME IBIS FILE NAME RESTRICTIONS
 Since BIRD46.1 has not been issued, Bob Ross deferred the discussion. 
 
 AR - Matthew Flora issue BIRD46.1 to include references to the .pkg file
 and .ebd file and to change the limitation from 64 total characters to
 a <filename> limit of 20 characters and delete the references to allowing
 the period "." character.

 BIRD48 - ADD MODEL
 Bob Ross presented the background concerning BIRD48, BIRD49, and BIRD50.  At
 the IBIS Version 3.0 ratification meeting in June, 1997, the committee left
 the door open for adding to IBIS Version 3.1 a dynamic clamp feature.  BIRD45
 and BIRD45.1 proposed dynamic clamps.  In response to a comment, we wanted to
 investigate further whether the [Driver Schedule] keyword could be used for
 some added functionality.

 On March 11, 1998, Bob met with Arpad Muranyi and Chris Reid to do this
 investigation based on the intended functionality.  After looking at some
 of the aspects, the group moved toward a different, more general approach.
 This approach allows future extensions and also allows reusing some of the
 existing IBIS keywords in a parent-child relationship that is consistent
 actual EDA tool implementation methodologies.  Bob then took the action item
 of producing the BIRDs that were needed for this functionality.  
 
 Based on some subsequent considerations, Bob just introduced BIRD48 for [Add 
 Model] to allow calling other [Model]s only if they are of specific 
 Model_types.  The two Model_types are Dynamic_clamp and Bus_hold described 
 in BIRD49 and BIRD50, respectively.  Furthermore, Bob opted to introduce the 
 [Add Model Spec] keyword to describe subparameters associated with these 
 added models.  Normally the subparameters information is based on internal
 knowledge that is not available in the data sheets.  So Bob rejected using
 the existing [Model Spec] keyword for this purpose.  Under [Add Model Spec],
 subparameters V_trigger_r and V_trigger_f describing the rising and falling
 edge trigger voltages are introduced.  The format allows for independent
 typo-min-max column entries.

 Bob indicated that the preparation of BIRD48, BIRD49, and BIRD50 evolved
 while being written.  He did introduce these BIRDs on Thursday, April
 2, 1998, but expected to do more work on them.  The notation is completely
 open at this time.  Also, there is still some unresolved functionality that
 needs to be considered.

 BIRD49 - ADD MODEL DYNAMIC CLAMPS
 Bob Ross introduced BIRD49 to replace BIRD45.1.  Along with the [Add Model]
 call, Dynamic_clamp Model_type, the [Add Model Spec] trigger voltages,
 BIRD49 introduces the [POWER Pulse Table] and [GND Pulse Table] to describe
 the dynamic clamp shifting as a function of time.  Unlike the BIRD45.1 
 approach, BIRD49 reuses the [GND Clamp] and [POWER Clamp] keywords.  BIRD49
 covers the same functionality as BIRD45.1 plus uses the typ-min-max
 trigger voltages that had been discussed as an improvement to BIRD45.1.
 A complete example is provided.

 BIRD50 - ADD MODEL BUS HOLD
 Bob Ross introduced BIRD50.  It introduced only the Model_type Bus_hold.
 Output keywords for [Pullup], [Pulldown], [Ramp], and even the [Rising
 Waveform] and [Falling Waveform] tables could be used.  While positioned
 as contributing to bus hold modeling, the real reason was to deal with 
 some new latching mechanism architectures that are now being implemented.
 An example is provided showing the Bus hold implementation.

 Chris Rokusek commented that the [Add Model Spec] could be moved to the
 same location as the [Add Model] keyword since it is associated with
 information at the parent model level.  Bob responded that this might be a
 good idea, but it would then require independent trigger voltages for each
 application.  The trigger voltages were really a function of the added
 model features.

 BIRD45.1 - DYNAMIC CLAMPS
 Because BIRD48 and BIRD49 are intended to replace BIRD45.1, Bob Ross will
 schedule a formal vote on the rejection of BIRD45.1 at the next meeting.

 TECHNICAL ISSUES ON THE IBIS REFLECTOR
 In the few minutes that remained, Bob Ross indicated that there has been good
 reflector discussion, both on the Signal Integrity reflector and the IBIS
 reflectors.  Bob also has three new issues he quickly summarized:

 (1)  We may need to add the 3-state_ECL Model_type.  There exists several
      such devices, and Bob cited the National Semiconductor 100316, a
      low power quad differential line driver with cut-off, as one ECL
      3-state example.

 (2)  We may need to consider extending the [Rising Waveform] and [Falling
      Waveform] fixture loads to include a differential resistor.  Some
      technologies appear to require the physical or Spice differential 
      connection for proper extraction of IBIS information.

 (3)  Based on an e-mail from Jean-Christophe Pautrat (Hewlett Packard, 
      France) on the IBIS reflector, we may need to consider extending the 
      timing test load information and Vmeas into the typ-min-max format 
      under the [Model Spec] keyword.  For example, the APG max timings are 
      specified with Cref = 10 pF and min timings are specified with Cref =
      0 pf.  Bob felt that we currently could use only one of the Cref values,
      and extract a delta time value to modify the times for the other Cref
      setting.  However, all data values would need to be adjusted - a 
      potentially tedious process.

 NEXT MEETING:
 The next teleconference meeting is on Friday, April 24, 1998, 8:00 A.M. to 
 9:55 A.M.  BIRD45.1 and BIRD46.1 are scheduled for votes.
 ==============================================================================
				       NOTES
 
 IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 685-0732, Fax (503) 685-4897
	     [email-masked]
	     Modeling Engineer, Interconnectix BU of Mentor Graphics
	     8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070

 VICE CHAIR: Syed Huq (408) 721-4874, Fax: (408) 721-4785
	     [email-masked]
	     Staff Applications Engineer, National Semiconductor, M/S A-2595
	     2900 Semiconductor Drive, Santa Clara, CA 95052
 
 SECRETARY:  Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
	     M/S JF1-56
	     2111 NE 25th Ave. 
	     Hillsboro, Oregon 97124-5961

 LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
	     [email-masked]
	     Senior Scientist, Viewlogic (formerly Quad Design)
	     1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010
  
 This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
 Manual of Organization and Procedure.
 
 The following e-mail addresses are used:

   [email-masked]
       To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
       ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
       or both.  State your request.

   [email-masked]
       To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
       for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
       Open Forum as a full Member.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
       is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
       technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
       used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
       general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

   [email-masked]
       To report ibischk2 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
       eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

       To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
       which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt, 
       /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, & /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt
       respectively.

 Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
 IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
 Electronic Information Group under:

   http://www.eia.org

 Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous 
 discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
 
 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell ([email-masked]) for 
 use at trade shows.
 ==============================================================================