Subject: EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes - 10/29/99

From: Guy de Burgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:34:44 -0800 (PST)

DATE: 11/1/99

SUBJECT: 10/29/99 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

VOTING MEMBERS AND 1999 PARTICIPANTS LIST:
Applied Simulation Technology  Raj Raghuram, Norio Matsui, Neven Orhanovic,
                               Fred Ballesteri
Avanti                         Nikolai Bannov*
Cadence Design                 Mike LaBonte, Todd Westerhoff
Cisco Systems                  Syed Huq
Compaq                         Bob Haller*, Steve Coe, Shafir Rahman,
                               Maher Elasad, Peter LaFlamme, Doug Burns
Cypress                        (Rajesh Manapat)
EMC Corporation                Fabrizio Zanella, Alex Nosovitski, Shan Haq
Fairchild Semiconductor        [Peter LaFlamme], Craig Klem, Graham Connolly,
                               Christian Klein
H.A.S. Electronics             (Haruny Said)
Hewlett Packard (EEsof, etc.)  Paul Gregory, Henry Wu
HyperLynx (& Pads Software)    Matthew Flora*, Kellee Crisafulli, Lynne Green,
                               John Angulo*, Gene Garat, Robin Edwards
IBM                            Greg Edlund, Michael Cohen*, Praven Patel,
                               Paul Clouser
Incases                        Olaf Rethmeier, Werner Rissiek, David Eagles,
                               Wilhelm Arnoldi, Ulrich Losch
Intel Corporation              Stephen Peters*, Arpad Muranyi*, Frank Kern,
                               Martin Chang, Dave Moxley, Kerry Nelson,
                               Jeff Day, Richard Mellitz, Peter Liou,
                               Will Hobbs, Henri Maramis
LSI Logic (Symbios Logic)      Scott King
Mentor Graphics                Bob Ross*, Mohamed Mahmoud, Sherif Hammad,
                               Jean Oudinot, Markku Kukkanen, Martin Groeber,
                               Karine Loudet, Hisham Gamal, Evgeny Wasserman,  
                               Tom Dagostino, Mohamed Nasef
Mitsubishi                     (Tam Cao)
Motorola                       (Ron Werner)
National Semiconductor         Milt Schwartz
North East Systems Associates  Edward Sayre, Michael Baxter, Kathy Breda,
                               Ed Sayre III, Jinhua Chen
NEC                            (Hiroshi Matsumoto)
Nortel Networks                Martin Hall (& at Viewlogic), Calvin Trowell
                               Ross Pryor*
Philips Semiconductor          Todd Andersen, Peter Christiaans
Quantic EMC                    (Mike Ventham)
Siemens                        Bernhard Unger, Christian Mitschke, 
                               Manfred Maurer, Peter Kaiser, Wolfram Meyer,
                               Gerald Bannert, Harmut Ibowski, Katja Zuleeg,
                               Hans Pichlmaier, Eckhard Lenski, Kortheuer Udo,
                               Christian Sporrer
SiQual                         Scott McMorrow
Texas Instruments              Jean-Claude Perrin, Shankar Balasubramaniah,
                               Ramzi Ammar, Thomas Fisher
Time Domain Analysis Systems   Dima Smolyansky, Steven Corey
Viewlogic Systems              Chris Rokusek, Guy de Burgh*, Cary Mandel,
                               (Jon Powell)
VeriBest                       Ian Dodd
Via Technologies               (Weber Chuang)
VLSI Technology                D.C. Sessions

OTHER PARTICIPANTS IN 1999:
3Com                           Roy Leventhal
3Dfx Interactive               Ken Wu
Actel Corporation              Silvia Montoya
Alcatel                        Steven Criel
Analytical Edge                Robert Easson
Applied Microelectronics       Brian Sanderson
BMW                            Friedrich Haslinger
Bogatin Enterprise             Eric Bogatin
Bosch Telecom                  Detlef Wolf
Celestica                      Danny Da Silva
Dynamics Research Corporation  Mike Walsh
ECI Telecom                    Daniel Adar
EIA                            [Patti Rusher], Cecilia Fleming*,
                               Dan Heinemeier 
Electronique                   Catherine Gross
EFM Consulting                 Ekkehard Miersch
FCI                            John Ellis
Foxcomm                        Jeff Walden
General DataComm               Laurence Michaels
High Design Technology         Razvan Ene
Hitachi ULSI                   Hideki Fukuda
Infineon                       Thomas Latzel
Intracon Design                Mike Osmond
KAW                            Shinichi Maeda
Litton Systems                 Robert Bremer
Lucent                         Jason Pritchard
Matsushita                     Atsuji Itoh
Molex Incorporated             Gus Panella*
Newbridge Networks             Bruce Carlile
Oce Printing Systems           Ernst Deiringer
Praegitzer Design              Rick Newell, Paul Galloway, Joe Socha
Rockwell Collins               Susan Tweeton, Ron Hau
Rode Consulting                Chris Rode
Samsung                        Jung-Gun Byun, Cheol-Seung Choi
Shindengen                     Tsuyoshi Horigome
Signals & Systems Engineering  Tom Hawkins
STMicroelectronics             Fabrice Boissieres, Philippe LeFevre
Stratus                        Keith Vieira
StorageTek                     Nick Krull
Sun Microsystems               Victor Chang Kevin Ko, Greg Fitzgerald,
                               Nick LaPlaca
Tektronix                      Tom Brinkoetter
Teradyne                       Mikhail Khusid
VDOL                           Robert Novosel
Xilinx                         Susan Wu
(Unaffiliated, Retired)        Bruce Wenniger

In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *. Principal
members or other active members who have not attended are in parentheses.
Participants who no longer are in the organization are in square brackets.

Upcoming Meetings:  The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
follows:
  
  Date                Bridge Number    Reservation #    Passcode
  November 19, 1999   (916) 356-9200   2-356763         7473493

All meetings are 8:00 AM to 9:55 AM Pacific Time.  We try to have agendas out 
7 days before each Open Forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.  
When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will 
Hobbs and give the reservation number and passcode.

NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

-------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

INTRODUCTIONS AND MEETING QUORUM
No new participants.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE AND TREASURER'S REPORT
Bob Ross has already announced that Via Technologies and Nortel Networks have
joined making the total IBIS Open Forum Membership at 32.  All members have
now paid.  Because the most recent members joined late in 1999, we will
probably carry their membership through year 2000 and issue invoices only for
differences in dues, if any.

REVIEW OF MINUTES AND AR'S
The October 1, 1999 IBIS Open Forum Meeting and October 14, 1999 IBIS Summit
Meeting minutes were approved without change.

Other AR's will be discussed during the meeting.

MISCELLANY/ANNOUNCEMENTS
None.

PRESS AND WEB PAGE UPDATES
Bob Ross reported that Syed Huq made some more Roster page updates and Guy
de Burgh has been tracking down the final membership names.  The last report
indicated that information is still needed from three member companies.

Bob noted that a show link has been added for show literature on conferences
we participate in at:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/shows/designcon2000/

The Upcoming Events page also links to this for the DesignCon2000 IBIS
Meeting.

Also Bob stated that Mike LaBonte sent out the announcement that a public
domain version of (including source code of user interface) of Spitran from
Cadence is uploaded on the IBIS home page under FREE Tools.

  http://www.eia.org/eig/ibis/ibis.htm

and is available for downloading on

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/s2ibis/spitran/

Bob reported the article "Models for Signal Integrity Simulation" in the
October 1999 issue of Printed Circuit Design by Lynne Green on pp. 22-24.

Bob reported that four Siemens IBIS presentations are available from the
Siemens site including three which were given at IBIS Summits:

  http://www.atd.siemens.de/it-dl.alt/eda/emv/download/ibis_summit399.pdf
  http://www.atd.siemens.de/it-dl.alt/eda/emv/download/ibis_summit299.pdf
  http://www.atd.siemens.de/it-dl.alt/eda/emv/download/ibis_summit98.pdf
  http://www.atd.siemens.de/it-dl.alt/eda/emv/download/ibis_be_ft98.pdf

Finally, Bob reported the article "Models for Signal Integrity Simulation" in
the October 1999 issue of Printed Circuit Design by Lynne Green on pp. 22-24.

NEW MODELS AVAILABLE, LIBRARY UPDATE
Bob Ross reported that Jon Powell is still updating the Model page.

Bob reported these additions and changes:

Clear Logic has IBIS Models under

  http://www.clear-logic.com/literature/ibis.html

Integrated Circuits Systems, Inc. (ICS) has one model under:

  http://www.icst.com/pdf/ics1523.ibs

Integrated Silicon Solutions, Inc. (ISSI) has a place for links.  The
SRAM products already show IBIS model entries.

  http://www.issi.com/models.html

Samsung Models online again for DRAM, SRAMS, Graphic Memory, Mask ROM, and 
Flash Products in these links, respectively:

  http://www.usa.samsungsemi.com/simulationmodels/dram/dram.htm
  http://www.usa.samsungsemi.com/simulationmodels/sram/sram.htm
  http://www.usa.samsungsemi.com/simulationmodels/gram/gram.htm
  http://www.usa.samsungsemi.com/simulationmodels/mrom/mrom.htm
  http://www.usa.samsungsemi.com/simulationmodels/flash/flash.htm

Tundra Semiconductor has some IBIS Models that are downloadable and also
available through direct contact.  These are found by following the Products
links to the Toolbox link:

  http://www.tundra.com/

Xilinx IBIS Models have moved to

  http://support.xilinx.com/support/troubleshoot/htm_index/sw_ibis.htm

OPENS FOR NEW ISSUES
Arpad Muranyi on BIRD64 - Package Model Selector
Arpad Muranyi on BIRD65 - C_comp Refinements

INTERNATIONAL/EXTERNAL PROGRESS
- IEC 62014-1 (IBIS Version 3.2) - Cecilia Fleming reported that progress is
continuing, but IEC has decided to substitute Version 3.2.  Bob Ross commented
that a copyright issue between EIA and IEC was favorably resolved so that EIA
(and the IBIS Open Forum) retains the copyright to control and modify the
document.  Cecilia stated that she expects IEC 62014-1 to be officially
ratified within a few months.

- pr EIAJ ED-5302 Standard for I/O Interface Model for Integrated Circuits
(IMIC) - Bob Ross reported that a Version 1.2 has been posted for review by
December 25, 1999.  The link to this document can be found on the Specs page
of the EIA IBIS home page.

- IEC PWI 93-1 Models of Integratd Circuits for EMI Behavioral Simulation
(formerly designated as IEC 93/67/NP IBIS and EMC Simulation) - Bob Ross
had no report.

- JC-16.2 Subcommittee: Modeling and Test - Bob Ross had no report.

IBIS SUMMIT OCTOBER 14, 1999 REVIEW
Bob Ross felt that we had a successful IBIS Summit Meeting on October 14, 1999
with good interaction.  We unintentionally scheduled the meeting on the last
day of the PCB Conference East trade show, and several participants had to
leave early (or could not attend).  This was due the the trade show being
unexpectedly shifted by one day to avoid Columbus day holiday rates for setup
costs.

Bob noted that we are planning to hold the next East Coast IBIS Summit Meeting
on Thursday, September 14, 1999, possibly at Worchester, Massachusetts where
the PCB Conference East is being held.  We believe this is a non-trade show
day.

FUTURE IBIS SUMMITS
Bob Ross noted that the DesignCon2000 IBIS Summit Meeting is being planned
for Monday, January 31, 1999 in Santa Clara, California.  Jon Powell will be
coordinating the trade show IBIS booth arrangements.  National Semiconductor
will sponsor the lunch, and DesignCon2000 will sponsor (fund) the meeting
room and other refreshments.  This is the normal arrangement because the IBIS
Open Forum is officially an Associate Sponsor of DesignCon2000.

Bob noted the he had sent out a DesignCon2000 invitation note to register
early.  October 31, 1999 was the last day for discounts.  However, employees
of any of the 32 member companies will also get discounts to the DesignCon2000
Conference.  Returning attendees will get the best discount (20%) to the
Conference.  As noted earlier, the DesignCon2000 advance registration
brochure can be accessed from the IBIS home page Upcoming Events link.

Bob stated that the IBIS Summit Meeting at Date2000 in Paris, France is being
planned on Friday, March 31, 1999 from the morning through early afternoon.
This will accommodate European participants to return home on Friday.  So far
Incases and Mentor Graphics are co-sponsors, but we are seeking other
co-sponsors.

S2IBIS3 COMMITTEE REPORT
Michael Cohen reported on meetings held on October 21, 1999 and October 28,
1999.  He stated that teleconference meetings are now being held every
Thursday.  Work is continuing on a requirements specification.  Michael expects
that it will be made available by the end of the year.

IBIS DUES AND FUNDING
Bob opened the discussion on IBIS Funding and dues by giving some background
information.  The IBIS Open Forum membership currently costs $500 per year.
Actual expenses were much less than the money received and we would just
leave the remaining money with EIA to cover the administrative overhead and
expenses for the services provided.  The EIA accounting system has never
provided the EIA IBIS Open Forum meaningful information about actual expenses
or income.  However, EIA has now improved the accounting and reporting system
and now able to track income and expenses better.

Based on reasonable allocations for EIA services, we can now allocate some
reasonable costs for direct EIA support (part of Cecilia Fleming and staff)
and other EIA services for legal, accounting, international representation,
etc.

Bob gave a projected Year 2000 budget that was sent out to the IBIS reflector
(and is included in the Minutes below).  Bob explained some to the items.
The income is based on an estimated 30 members, at $500 per year.  The Other
Income is an estimation of the royalties to the IBIS Open Forum for Global
Engineering Standards sales (before, we hand no record of this).  The
Travel & Entertainment expense and Meetings and Conference Expense are for the
IBIS Summit Meeting held in June and associated with the Design Automation
Conference.  Unlike other Summit Meetings, this IBIS Summit Meeting is
supported directly by the EIA IBIS dues.  Cecilia noted that EIA appears to
be comfortable with the expense allocations in the Budget.  However, the
formal EIA discussion on total budget issues was deferred until December 1999.
Bob also felt that the allocations were very reasonable for the services
provided and for the official national recognition we have achieved that
could only be obtained through affiliation with an organization such as EIA.
We still continue to self-fund a number of activities (other IBIS Summits,
teleconference calls) and special projects (such as ibischk3 development.)
through additional contributions.

BUDGET:

INCOME

IBIS Membership Dues          $15,000
Other Income                    1,000
Fees & Assessments                      

EXPENSES
                                                       Basis:
                                            ------------------------------

                               IBIS   
                               Budget

Salaries and Benefits          $9,000
Interest Expense                            Not Allocated
Occupancy                         610
Bad debts                                   Not Allocated
Depreciation                      250
Printing                          200
Postage                           150
Freight & Delivery                100
Travel & Entertainment          2,000
Telephone                         200
Meetings and Conference Exp.    2,000
Professional Services                                         Direct Expense
Memberships & Subscriptions                 Not Allocated
Web Site Services                           Not Allocated
Advertising & Promotions          500
Show Expenses                               (Deleted)
Office Supplies & Misc.           700

-------

Total Exp. Before Corp. Alloc. 15,710
  
Corporate EIA                   4,000

-------

Total Expenses                 19,710

-------

Projected Loss                  3,710

-------

Bob noted that the proposed budget projects a loss.  We have already discussed
this topic at the October 1, 1999 meeting and felt comfortable with a modest
dues increase.  Unlike previous years, a key difference in Year 2000 and 
beyond is that we will retain and carry over any profits in the IBIS account.
(Up to now, it has been a "use it or lose it" arrangement.)

Bob suggested we consider a dues increase to either $750 (break even) or $1000
(modest profit to fund some of the activities).  Bob Haller commented on the
fact that in several companies, a $1000 expense is the amount where more
internal signatures are needed - causing more difficulty in authorizing the
expenditure.  After further discussion it was agreed that we will propose to
the year 2000 dues to $750.

Bob then indicated that based on the original IBIS Charter created when 
IBIS became part of EIA, dues increases require a vote of two-thirds of the
members.  In our case this would now be 21 members.  This is more stringent
than official EIA approval guidelines (approval by three forths of a margin
from votes cast by a majority of members (3/4 of 17, or 13).  Or we could 
require just a simple majority of members (17).  In any case, since this is
an issue regarding financial commitment, we need this proposal to be
voted on and approved by a substantial part of the IBIS Open Forum Member
Companies.

Michael Cohen asked about the resolution of the discussion of IBIS Bylaws with
EIA per the June 21, 1999 IBIS meeting.  Bob noted that we plan to use the
"escape clause" mechanism (noted in the October 1, 1999 Meeting Minutes) that
support alternative modes of operation that already exist.  Much of the
EP-20 bylaw guidelines would substantially change the way we operate.  The
guidelines do not work well with our mode of operation of conducting
frequent teleconference meetings and using public e-mail reflectors for
conducting discussions.  So we plan to comply by not changing our current
mode of operation.  

After some more discussion Bob indicated that we will do our balloting on
the proposed membership fee increase by polling the Member companies (primary
and secondary representatives) by e-mail.  We want to achieve a significant
consensus - probably 17 to 21 votes as an indication of approval.  Guy
de Burgh will send out and tabulate the ballots.  The deadline for e-mail
vote will be November 18, 1999, just prior to the next IBIS teleconference
meeting.

Bob conducted a roll-call vote and we already recorded 8 affirmative votes
and no negative votes on raising the IBIS Membership dues to $750 per year.

AR - Guy de Burgh create a letter ballot to e-mail to members on dues
increase to $750 and send it out to the IBIS Member companies. [Done]

NEW IBIS OFFICER POSITIONS
Bob Ross also indicated that creating new IBIS Officer positions is
technically a Charter change requiring a similar consensus as above.  So
we will also send out a letter ballot for the new Postmaster position (already
staffed by Matthew Flora) and the Webmaster position (already staffed by
Syed Huq), as a formality.  The four existing and two new positions are
listed for reference:

Position          Responsibilities
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chairperson       Oversee all forum activities, preside at all general 
                  meetings.  Finance authority.  This person must be an 
                  employee of a Membership Company.

Vice Chair        Cover for chair and secretary in their absence, coordinate 
                  all public relations (press releases, media contacts).  This 
                  person must be an employee of a Membership Company.

Secretary         Coordinate logistics of all meetings, take and publish 
                  meeting minutes within 10 days of meeting.  [Delete this
                  task since it is  transferred to the Postmaster: Work with 
                  or act as file server sysop to maintain the reflector and 
                  on-line files.]  This person does not need to be an employee 
                  of a Membership Company.

Librarian         Maintain the library of public IBIS models, including 
                  verifying authenticity and compliance before posting.  This 
                  person does not need to be an employee of Membership 
                  Company.

Webmaster         Maintains the contents of the official EIA IBIS Open Forum
                  Web site and Roster files under www.eia.org either directly
                  or through contact with EIA staff.  This person does not
                  need to be an employee of a Membership Company.

Postmaster        Maintains the e-mail distribution lists and performs file
                  server sysop activities for the on-line files on the IBIS
                  site: www.eda.org/pub/ibis/.  This person does not need to
                  be an employee of a Membership Company.
                 
AR - Guy de Burgh create a letter ballot to e-mail to amend the charter to
include the new Webmaster and Postmaster positions and send it out to IBIS
member companies. [Done]

COOKBOOK STATUS
Stephen Peters had no report.

IBIS MODEL REVIEW COMMITTEE DISCUSSION
Matthew Flora reported that he recently sent out for review a model from
Cimaron (an AMCC company).

(Added after the meeting - Matthew also sent out earlier a model of a series
switch from Fairchild Semiconductor for review.)

Matthew Flora is looking for some more EDA companies to review models.  (He
has five so far and needs a replacement name for one of the companies.)

Ross Pryor voluteered to help, but Bob Ross explained that the Model 
Review Committee is composed of EDA simulator vendors so that the review
process could actually include simulation in a variety of simulators.   It
also would not have one semiconductor vendor review the models from another
semiconductor vendor - a potentially sensitive issue for some vendors.  (Bob
thanked Ross for volunteering and hopes he will help in another area.)

Bob and Matthew will work off line on getting some new Model Review Committee
members.

IBISCHK3 BUG REPORT STATUS
Matthew Flora indicated that he just issued an updated BUG34 in compliance 
with the AR for specific suggestions on the conditions where Warning
Messages should be issued.  Since updated BUG34 has just been issued, Matthew
wanted to defer the discussion to the next meeting

AR - Matthew Flora issue a revised BUG34 to document the conditions where
Warning messages are issued [Done].

CONNECTOR PROPOSAL STATUS
Because Gus Panella needed to leave early, we moved the Connector Proposal
Status discussion as the next discussion item.

Bob Ross briefly summarized that since introduction of the Connector
Specification proposal at the February 1, 1999 IBIS Summit Meeting, there
has been no IBIS Open Forum action.  The IBIS Open Forum was heavily involved
in formal closure and ratification of IBIS Version 3.2.  Since the Connector
Specification was proposed as a separate document, it did not need to be
considered while IBIS Version 3.2 was being considered.  However, related
documents have been uploaded under:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/connector/

Gus Panella stated that there have been a few review comments.  They have
been incorporated into a revised version.  One of the main comments dealt with
defining and describing the matrix.

Bob Haller asked whether cables are supported.  Gus stated that the intention
was to focus on just connectors.  Bob Ross stated that he thought that using
it for modeling cables was valid.  However, the first release of the
document does not include frequency dependent losses or skin effect losses.
One of the other issues to consider is whether the format can be applied to
the existing package model format.

Bob Haller also asked about some other changes, and Gus reponded that the
suggestions have been implemented in unreleased updates.

Bob Ross suggested that we now plan Connector Specification discussion as
an actual Agenda item.  Gus indicated that he can participate in the next
teleconference meeting.  A new document may be available by that time.  We
need to look at it from a full Committee and broader EDA Vendor perspective
to discover any implementation and usage issues.

BIRD61 - ENHANCED CHARACTERIZATION OF RECEIVERS
BIRD62 - ENHANCED CHARACTERIZATION OF RECEIVER THRESHOLDS (discussed First)
BIRD63 - DOCUMENTATION OF RECEIVER SETUP AND HOLD TIMING CONDITIONS
Stephen Peters reported no further progress on BIRD61, BIRD62 and BIRD63.
We are still waiting for some possible behavioral input modeling proposals
for BIRD61.  Bob Ross indicated that there has been plenty of reflector
discussion on BIRD61, and some general issues remain unresolved.  There also
may be some syntax detail issues regarding BIRD62 and BIRD63.  However, the
general concepts seem to be acceptable.  All of these BIRDs need to be
considered in the context of some alternative ideas for future extensions of
IBIS that are now being discussed.

BIRD64 - PACKAGE MODEL SELECTOR
Arpad Muranyi introduced BIRD64 to deal with the fact that some components
need several package models for analysis.  A primary application would be to
issue min and max package models to support corner analysis.  Several people
have already issued comments on the IBIS reflector.  Most comments provide
syntax variations but support the same functionality.  Arpad initially
started with formatting the [Package Model Selector] keyword similar to the
[Model Selector] keyword format.  However, he decided on a more simple
approach that was not exactly compatible.  Bob Ross commented that [Model
Selector] was designed to simultaneously change the I/O buffer model for
several pins, whereas the [Package Model Selector] would change the package
model for just one [Component].  Stephen Peters stated that he supported the
simpler approach.

Arpad thought that the choice of format depended on what would be best for
a GUI (or for automated processing).

Bob summarized some choices available including those suggested on the IBIS
reflector:

  1.  Do nothing.  We already support different package configurations.  
      This support requires issuing a different [Component] model for each
      package configuration.  If we are dealing with only two or three
      variations, this may be acceptable.
  2.  [Package Model Selector] as in BIRD64 where the selection choices
      replace the [Package Model] keyword.
  3.  [Package Mode Selector] at higher level, similar to [Model Selector],
      where [Package Model] references the [Package Model Selector] by name,
      which in turn references the list of package models.
  4.  Extend [Package Model] from one call into a typ-min-max format rather
      than using [Package Model Selector].

We ended the discussion in order to move on to other Agenda items.

BIRD65 - C_comp REFINEMENTS
Arpad Muranyi also introduced BIRD65.  BIRD65 provides detail by documenting
how portions of C_comp can be connected the various power rails.

Michael Cohen stated that the nomenclature was not clear.  For example he did
not realize that C_comp_pu was the portion of C_comp connected to the [Pullup
Reference Voltage].  The overview definition is given in the introductory
information, but is not stated in the actual replacement text proposed by
BIRD65.  Arpad stated that he clarify the C_comp elements in the proposed
text.

Bob Ross indicated that BIRD65 was proposed to support more accurate ground
and power bounce analysis.  The basic idea is seems sound.  However, we may
need to consider it in the context of some other alternative proposals that
may accomplish the same objective.

Arpad closed by noting that he is looking for IBIS reflector comments about
the possibility of adding capacitance as a function of voltage tables.

APPLICATION PROGRAM INTERFACE (API) DISCUSSION
In the remaining time, Stephen Peters discussed the intent of the API.  He
stated that new device technologies and functions in devices often require
new IBIS keywords and take time to be approved.  In the mean time the 
actual structural model (such as a Spice model) could be used, but issue
rapidly to support EDA Vendors.  To prevent revealing intellectual property
details, such a model could be issued as part of some executable code. 

Stephen stated that he has initiated a proposal to describe the interface to
such an API.  The major extension are to also include ground and power ports
for some more detailed analysis.  With a standardized interface, models
could be issued in a timely manner as part of an executable.  The draft
proposal is currently being review internally.  It does have implications
concerning an evolution of IBIS and is temporarily designated as "IBIS-X".
Stephen expects the proposal to be issued on the IBIS reflector early next
week (week of November 1, 1999). 

NEXT MEETING:
The next teleconference meeting will be on Friday, November 19, 1999 from
8:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
==============================================================================
                                      NOTES

IBIS CHAIR: Bob Ross (503) 685-0732, Fax (503) 685-4897
            [email-masked]
            Modeling Engineer, Mentor Graphics
            8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070

VICE CHAIR: Stephen Peters (503) 264-4108, Fax: (503) 264-4515
            [email-masked]
            Senior Hardware Engineer, Intel Corporation
            M/S JF1-209
            2111 NE 25th Ave. 
            Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961

SECRETARY:  Guy de Burgh (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
            [email-masked]
            Senior Manager, Viewlogic Systems
            1369 Del Norte Rd.
            Camarillo, CA 93010-8437

LIBRARIAN:  Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
            [email-masked]
            Senior Scientist, Viewlogic Systems
            1369 Del Norte Rd.
            Camarillo, CA 93010

WEBMASTER:  Syed Huq (408) 525-3399, Fax: (408) 526-5504
            [email-masked]
            Signal Integrity Engineer, Cisco Systems
            170 West Tasman Drive
            San Jose, CA 95134-1706

POSTMASTER: Matthew Flora (425) 869-2320, Fax: (425) 881-1008
            [email-masked]
            Senior Engineer, HyperLynx, Inc.
            114715 N.E. 95th Street
            Redmond, WA 98052
 
This meeting was conducted in accordance with the EIA Legal Guides and EIA
Manual of Organization and Procedure.

The following e-mail addresses are used:

  [email-masked]
      To join, change, or drop from either the IBIS Open Forum Reflector
      ([email-masked]), the IBIS Users' Group Reflector ([email-masked])
      or both.  State your request.

  [email-masked]
      To obtain general information about IBIS, to ask specific questions
      for individual response, and to inquire about joining the EIA-IBIS
      Open Forum as a full Member.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the general IBIS Open Forum Reflector.  This
      is used mostly for IBIS Standardization business and future IBIS
      technical enhancements.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To send a message to the IBIS Users' Group Reflector.  This is 
      used mostly for IBIS clarification, current modeling issues, and
      general user concerns.  Job posting information is not permitted.

  [email-masked]
      To report ibischk2/3 parser bugs.  The Bug Report Form Resides on
      eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/ibischk/bugform.txt along with reported bugs.

      To report s2ibis, s2ibis2 and s2iplt bugs, use the Bug Report Forms
      which reside under eda.org in /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis/bugs2i.txt, 
      /pub/ibis/bugs/s2ibis2/bugs2i2.txt, & /pub/ibis/bugs/s2iplt/bugsplt.txt
      respectively.

Information on IBIS technical contents, IBIS participants, and actual
IBIS models are available on the IBIS Home page found by selecting the
Electronic Information Group under:

  http://www.eia.org

Check the pub/ibis directory on eda.org for more information on previous 
discussions and results.  You can get on via FTP anonymous.
==============================================================================