Subject: IPA 510 software

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:45:40 -0500

Dear IBIS gurus,

I just read the minutes of the summit held on 3/26, and there was no
mention of the above subject.  I recall that the discussion was tabled at a
(several?) previous meeting(s), but there are those of us out here for
which the IPA 510 software would be of great benefit even without any
support (though some minimal documentation would obviously be useful).  I
would like to request that the subject again be brought to the table and
resolved if possible, so those of us in the user community might have the
benefit of its use.  I won't pretend to understand all the legal
ramifications of the IBIS Forum "owning" the distribution of the software,
but it would seem that if it's understood that the software is distributed
"as is," there would not be any liability nor any implied burden to support
or upgrade it.

Thanks for your consideration.

Jay Diepenbrock

Senior Engineer
Interconnect Technology & Qualification
IBM Global Procurement, B8UA/061, RTP, NC
Phone:  919-543-8804   Fax: 919-543-3642
Email:  [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Ross <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:40:30 -0800

Jay:

We had a long discussion at the February 19, 1999 meeting and 
raised a large number of pro and con arguments.  By a split
vote, we decided that the IBIS Open Forum should not manage
this software.  The minutes are archived under:

  http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/minutes/m021999.txt

Best Regards,
Bob Ross
Mentor Graphics

Dear IBIS gurus,

Jay Diepenbrock

Senior Engineer